Las Vegas 5E

Mark Rand

Silver Avenger Nakamura was created as the default Silver Avenger for the campaign. Now that I think of it, I could simply transfer Terry Kestler to the campaign city. That would work, too.

I'm beginning to think a team of three Slayers might be best.

One's the Japanese-American Slayer mentioned above. Her mother now teaches the girls how to fight.

The second is from Jamaica. Her Watcher now serves as the team's Watcher. Since there's already a combat teacher, he serves as a researcher.

The third girl's white, from the campaign city and the daughter of a high school principal. To make things more interesting, said school sits on the local Hellmouth.

Agent Cameron Chase of PRIMUS serves as agency liaison for both teams.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Rand,

My Slayer (I'm about to make another) carries a scythe axe like the one Buffy used in the show's final episodes.

I'm figuring that (beyond a normal stake) it'd become the primary weapon of choice among Slayers - though neither being restricted to it, nor receiving any special bonuses for it.

It's just great for both beheadings & stakings.

How would you write up the BtVS Scythe?  Based, in part, on your Stake writeup I came up w/ this:

12pts - Scythe, [Axe] 1d6 K (Medium, Thr); plus Stake (1/2d6 K, 2d6 N)

Since I've only been into HERO for about a year, I suspect my version is over simplified.  Would you do it different?

Should the plus be changed to linked?

Maybe you could add it to your Buffy writeup on Surbrook's site. :)

Hi, Nightfly. Glad you like the three Slayers. One good thing about them is that they're easily moved to whatever campaign city you're using.

I'm thinking of having them all be students at the high school on the Hellmouth and their Watcher become the school librarian. His, more or less, girlfriend is the school's computer science teacher. Of course, the Slayers will occasionally run into the so called Popular Crowd. (Can you tell that I was watching my first season Buffy DVDs last night?)

Although all Slayers are trained with stakes, crossbows, bladed weapons and other hand weapons, each uses what she likes.

The Japanese Slayer prefers her katana, using it either two-handed, for a beheading, or one-handed, with a stake in the left, to bring the vamp to his knees.

The Jamaican Slayer carries her own version of the scythe, a heavy axe with a stake-like point on the handle.

The white Slayer has a scythe like Buffy used.

I like your scythe writeup, Nightfly. Hopefully, the guy who made the Buffy writeup (not me) will add it to the page.

Here are the names of the characters. The Slayers and their families have lived in the campaign city for, at least, three years.

Kendra Masters is a 16-year old Slayer. Born and bred in Jamacia, she came to the United States with her family when she was 10. She has braided, waist-length black hair and prefers battle axe with handle spike.

John Masters, M.D. and his wife, Sue, a nurse practitioner, tend the team's medical needs.

Keiko Namura is a 16-year old Slayer and ninja. She has shoulder-length black hair and bangs and wields a katana.

Midori Mamura, Keiko's mother, is a ninja, gymnastics coach who owns her own school and the team's trainer. She has waist-length black hair and wears glasses. Like her daughter, she likes the katana.

Hikaru Namura, Keiko's father, is a police detective.

Honey James is a 16-year old Slayer with golden blonde hair. Her favorite weapon is the scythe.

William James, PhD, Honey's father, is the principal of the school all three girls attend. For added zest, its on a Hellmouth.

Cathy James, Honey's mother, is a reporter for the local newspaper.

Tom Marshall is the school librarian and the Slayers' Watcher. Like Giles, he likes books and dislikes computers.

Connie Gray is the school's computer science teacher. She and Tom are dating.

Cameron Chase is a PRIMUS intelligence agent and liaison to the superhero team the Slayers are part of.

I've been reading the various Buffy Fan Fic at both the Fanfic.net site and at Twisting the Hellmouth, and it's got me to thinking. While I agree with Nightflyer about the whole Slayers joining the police force thing, that they woudn't, they might take the route of consultant. However the CSI crossovers were extremely well written, and it's your universe do what you want*G* It's up to you and your players to have fun. On the whole how much power would a slayer have inrelation to the Supers thing: Since the CU has pretty much stated that the Mana background is extremely high at the time when super powers are in play, that means supernatural creatures, like the slayer might also be more powerful in response to the increased Mana. Just something to think about, among others.

(Edit: Spelling Errors)

We know, from the Buffy series that a Hellmouth is a weakening in the barrier between out reality and Hell. Does energy leak through the Hellmouth?

If so, is the leak steady or does it change from time to time?

Can someone that can sense magic sense a Hellmouth and its energy output, if any?

In a high mana world, like the CU, what effects would it have?

Originally posted by Mark Rand

We know, from the Buffy series that a Hellmouth is a weakening in the barrier between out reality and Hell. Does energy leak through the Hellmouth?

If so, is the leak steady or does it change from time to time?

Can someone that can sense magic sense a Hellmouth and its energy output, if any?

In a high mana world, like the CU, what effects would it have?

As with any other aspect of magic in the Buffyverse, I'd say, "whatever the scriptwriter (GM) wants." In certain cases, the energy does increase; in "Prophecy Girl" (the final episode of Season 1) there were all kinds of weird effects mentioned as happening off-camera, not to mention the even greater concentration of vampires as the Master prepared to make his escape. Similarly, the flux of Hellmouth energy was a plot device in Season 7 as the gang had to find and deactivate the seal underneath the school.

As for how it would work in a high-mana universe, Hellmouth energy could allow for almost anything (and might explain why superpowers are possible at all). High mana might also be the difference between a "realistic" Buffy (with stats in the 20-23 range) and a truly super Buffy (who really IS 'Spider-Man strong').

JG

The Slayer team I mentioned above would work in any campaign city, if it isn't Slayer Central and the location of Watcher Headquarters. Remember, the old headquarters, and its library, were destroyed by agents of The First. If it is, we have many Slayers there.

Some are teaching anti-vampire techniques to SWAT teams, some some teach at Slayer Centeral, some are on duty, with people from various agencies, at the airport, and one or two are interning with the local forensics experts. We have newly-discovered Slayers coming in and trained Slayers either returning home either to train furthur, if they're leas than 14-years old, or to help protect their city.

Buffy could take some with her to help deal with a major problem or some could work with the Initiative on missions. If we follow the Slayers / CSI storyline, Rona will be the one that works with the Finns and their team, as a consultant.

You know me. I'm always adjusting my NPCs. Here are changes in the occupations of the Slayers' parents.

Honey's father, William, now teaches woodshop. At home, in his workshop, he makes stakes and replacement handles for Honey's scythe and Kendra's axe. Her mother, Cathy, is a chemistry teacher. When needed, she helps them with their spellcasting.

Keiko's mother, Midori, doesn't wear glasses. I mistook sunglasses for regular glasses.

Kendra's father, John, isn't a physician, he's the school principal. Her mother, Sue, is the school nurse.

The gang from CSI: Crime Scene Investigations, including the new sheriff and Lady Heather, are there. Gil Grissom and Lady Heather are often seen together at socal events

Buffyverse

SIgh...

Mark Rand did say that there were no Watchers in his universe.

Also, if the police, the courts, the Department of Defense, *insist* on something, it will be hard to not comply.

If a court *insists* that you pay a traffic ticket, you pay it or you don't drive.

Some supers think that this doesn't apply to them, but then I just play out the consequences for them. How would you like to have to fight a horde of agents (with radios, helicopters, other supers on call, etc., etc.) just because you made an illegal left turn? It can put a real spike in your day.

The Slayers could be vigilantes when they were underground and unknown. If you postulate that they are now widely known to law enforcement agencies, the vigilante approach will no longer be tenable. Most Slayers will understand this. They will also understand the benefits of cooperation.

A few will not, and they will have 50 point Hunteds.

Good points, CarlSagan. Thank you.

Most of the old members of the Watchers Council were killed by The First, but a few probably survived. Buffy, Giles and their accociates are creating a new council.

Slayers that don't play by the rules are going to have Buffy and many Slayers after them, not to mention local, state and federal law enforcemenr agencies, including PRIMUS, the DOSPA, and the Initative.

I enjoy crossover campaigns and one reason I like Las Vegas is the chance to add Tremors: the Series to the campaign.

According to the Scifi channel's website, Perfection is a few hours from the Nevada Test Site. Since its geography includes mountains, I'd put it in northern Nevada.

The people in Perfection are interesting. Here they are.

Tyler Reed: graboid tour operator and former NSACAR driver

W. D. Twitchell: annoying federal bureaucrat

Rosalita Sanchez: cattle rancher and former Las Vegas showgirl who grew up in Eas Los Angeles

Jodi Chang: shopkeeper

Nancy Sterngood: artisan, lover of solitude and open spaces and ex-hippie

Burt Gummer: survival expert and monster hunter

Melvin Plug: real-estate developer and rat

Harlow Winnemuca: Rosalita's hired hand

Dr. Casey Mathews: government scientist

Larry Norvel: hyperactive scifi fan

Sam Boggs: county sheriff

El Blanco: sterile white graboid

That's the lot. Except for the graboid sheet on Mike Surbrook's site, none have been written up. How many points would you give each character? How would you define Mix Master, the chemical, lining the valley floor, that can make DNA from various non-human speciea compatable?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Re: Las Vegas 5E

Considering that there are very many pages of stories about Buffy there' date=' can you be more specific please?[/quote']

You may not have noticed this thread is from 2003 and last saw life in 2004. The few people who posted here who still come to these forums may not remember the information in question.

Re: Las Vegas 5E

You may not have noticed this thread is from 2003 and last saw life in 2004. The few people who posted here who still come to these forums may not remember the information in question.

Ask and you shall receive.

Once at fanfiction.net, click on Misc., then Buffy the Vampire Slayer Crossovers. After that, hit the search button and type in CSI under summary. The stories you are looking for were written by Marcus L. Rowland.