Here's the scenario

quozaxx

Re: Here's the scenario

Ah' date=' that would be the "human running down a gazelle" approach. You are nowhere near as fast as a gazelle, but you can just jog after it implacably, so it never gets a chance to rest, and eventually walk up to the exhausted critter and kill it. It could take all day...but it can work.[/quote']

Don't know about a gazelle, but I have chased down more than one coyote in my life. Out in the wild, I wouldn't have a chance. But, these were escapees from research pens, and there were plenty of fences around to block avenues of escape. Eventually, the coyote would get so disgusted that it would either crawl into some brush or get into a fence corner. Either way, it would be too tired to do anything when I came up to snare it and carry it back. Sure wish I was in that kind of shape today.

There were rules for it in 5th too but it's not really the same thing.

I think most of the chases you refer to where not Aboting an action. It was using a held action. Usually when the enemy ignored the hero (out of sight, persumed stunned/burried, another part of the team, persumed fightign someone else).

That combined with the Rules for Interference(APG) work very well in those chases - those in wich the intercepting character was faster/better prepared.

I think most of the chases you refer to where not Aboting an action.

No that's not what I'm talking about. But it's a lengthy (and old) issue so lets not derail the OP's thread over it. I really shouldn't have brought it up. A WWYCD thread isn't the place for rule bickering.

A professor at my college (William & Mary) was reputed to have done this, as part of a research project. He determined that a human with no tools could, in fact, run down a gazelle by simply chasing it at low speed until it wore itself out with bursts of speed and no chance to really recover. The human could even kill the (exhausted, unresisting) gazelle with his bare hands. What he couldn't do, was pierce the critter's skin with his teeth. You need a tool of some kind to make any use of the carcass. Which sort of made the rest of the process pointless.

As your own experience demonstrates, your average out-of-shape city dweller couldn't do this, but it IS possible if you're fit enough.

Anyhow, to get back on topic, yes--if you can track Cheetah and are able to follow him long enough, unless he has super-recuperative powers, you may be able to wear him down and corner him while he's gasping for breath and unable to keep running.

Human endurance is very impressive. We're distance hunters by nature and chasing something to exhuastion then killing it was a standard tactic as I've read. People tend to underestimate humans physically since we judge our limits by modern civilized, "soft" humans.