Statting out a tornado

Arc Esu

I'm creating a tornado based villain with the usual array of powers (blasts with double KB, TK, indirect AoE, etc), but one ability I want the villain to have is the ability to create a self-sustaining tornado that then acts as a tornado otherwise would (though she can still take actions to control it if need be). I think Summon is the best way to do this, but how would one "stat out" a tornado as a character? Has anyone ever done this before, or seen it done in a Hero supplement?

My basic thoughts are to make it a Desolidified (only to protect from damage, can be hurt by weather/air manipulation or other creative plans at GM discretion) Automaton with Affects Physical World on some kind of massive AoE attack, plus appropriate size template, plus appropriate Flight, plus a Change environment or Darkness to simulate debris/dust being thrown around. Obviously a tornado will be huge number of points, but that's appropriate.

Any thoughts on this build idea? Or would this be better done as an Uncontrolled Mobile AoE Blast with Physical Manifestation?

Re: Statting out a tornado

Idunno, my first instinct would be a really big AoE Change Environment power with lots of TK, plus other penalties to perception, movement, OCV/DCV, etc.

I'm on lunch break right now so I don't have much time to tinker with it, but I think this one power could do pretty much everything you need....

When you really want it to be uncontrolled, you can make a Computer that upholds a "continous" effect. But such an action has one problem: How do the heroes stop it? Where does it get's it's energy from?

Otherwise, I agree with the others: Continous Change Environment seems to be the best sollution.

Make the Tornado Desolid. Make it affected by certain SFX. (other wind effects, Fire, Pressure/Force control etc). Characters with the appropriate powers/abilities can try to divert/destroy the tornado. I would give the Tornado Summon a limited lifespan, but one that is long enough for it to do massive amounts of collateral damage. The heroes will NOT be able to ignore it for fear of a civilian death-toll...

There are rules for this in 6e2 pg. 146. A character may use Change Environment to increase an area's "wind level". For example' date=' and F5 tornado is the 12th wind level on the chart.[/quote']

This Here.

~Rex

You don't even need Continuous' date=' in fact - Long Lasting is an adder for Change Environment that basically makes it Uncontrolled, for the specified duration.[/quote']

I know. But comicbook-logic dictates that that the tornado stops when you K.O. the caster. Players will expect that.

Long lasting is IMHO a bad choice for a tornado. Works well with Ice-sheets but how do you determine how long a tornado last when it is not tornado weather? Better use something like uncontrolled, where the duration is set.

Perhaps you can even combine Contionous and Extra Duration to give it some lifetime after the user is K.O./stops paying Endurance?

Long Lasting actually does have a specified duration, based on how many points you spend. Maybe not ideal for one that stops on command or KO, but if it's going to linger anyway it's a simpler and cheaper method.

Long Lasting actually does have a specified duration' date=' based on how many points you spend. Maybe not ideal for one that stops on command or KO, but if it's going to linger anyway it's a simpler and cheaper method.[/quote']

Okay, re-read that. Of course the power will still need Area of Effect and maybe 0 END to work the way you want it so the AP limits will make taht seriously difficulty.

DocSamson, thanks for pointing out the "wind level" chart. I could have sworn that I looked through all the environmental effects sections in the book and didn't see anything, but obviously I'm a blind idiot. Once I tinker with it and have a build, I'll post it it here for all. And maybe I'll even post the whole character sheet for the Sista' Twista'!