Creation Ex Nihilo

phoenix240

Re: Creation Ex Nihilo

Would the ability to make relatively small quantities (A handful or so at a time) of pure elements (anything on the Periodic table) from nothing be built as a Transform or some other Power?

A Multipower (MP) or Variable Power Pool (VPP) are usually the best tools to use when constructing this sort of meta-ability.

See the VPP I built for the DCU's Firestorm as an example of what I mean.

I am the GM so I can cheat a little in this case. :). Mostly he can make a handful or two of "stuff" on his phases. Potentially, he could make as much as he wanted but in combat time it's a fairly minor situational ability. Another major drawback is that he isn't immune to the affects of what he creates. He could make several onuces of highly radioative material, for instance but he'd suffer the ill effects of being around it. The most obvious use would be making as much pure gold as he wants...

I am the GM so I can cheat a little in this case. :). Mostly he can make a handful or two of "stuff" on his phases. Potentially' date=' he could make as much as he wanted but in combat time it's a fairly minor situational ability. Another major drawback is that he isn't immune to the affects of what he creates. He could make several onuces of highly radioative material, for instance but he'd suffer the ill effects of being around it. The most obvious use would be making as much pure gold as he wants...[/quote']

Well off Perk. But even that would not be a infinite source of money, as sooner or later:

a) The price drops (it is high because the supply is limited)

B) People wonder where all this gold comes from, that was never mined first

c) He runs into a limit of how much time he has to lay golden eggs

For battle purposes I too would go with a small VPP.

The Radiation thing would fall under Change Environment. I think 6E2 has rules regarding it. I would add "Material maifestation" when he forms one "lump" or "pile" of radioactive material, make it dispellable or leave out long lasting when he craetes it as fine dust (a gust of wind can scatter it).

I am the GM so I can cheat a little in this case. :). Mostly he can make a handful or two of "stuff" on his phases. Potentially' date=' he could make as much as he wanted but in combat time it's a fairly minor situational ability. Another major drawback is that he isn't immune to the affects of what he creates. He could make several onuces of highly radioative material, for instance but he'd suffer the ill effects of being around it. The most obvious use would be making as much pure gold as he wants...[/quote']

In that case, he should purchase the Money perk with the justification that he's selling gold.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, the APG II has a "Create Object Power". However it is defined so that this is most likely NOT what you are looking for.

"Object creation has one important Resitrction: It cannot create objects, when doing so could reseonable be the sfx for antoher power."

In fact on the exampels what it can not to:

"create items of great value, such as gemstones, jewelry, or works of art (that’s a special effect for the Money Perk)"