The most abusive Sensory Power Ever!

Sociotard

Detect Being Detected (10) Ranged (5) Sense (2) 360 (5) Discriminatory (5) Targeting (10)

Total: 37 points

I thought this one up in calculus and thought my fellow posters would get a kick out of it. The idea was to bring truth to that infamous fallacy of logic "If I can't see them, they can't see me!" The user of this sense automatically knows if he's been detected (invisible power effects senses excepted), What kind of sense he was targetted with, and where the POV of the sense is. A munchkin sense if ever there was one, but I would like to see any rivals that might exist out there.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

The really sad part is, I can come up with at least two or three completely reasonable Special Effects for this ability.

I like it. Air Force and Navy sensors exist like this but they only work vs. active senses. Would the sense as written work for something as mundane as just being looked at? I don't doubt it. Mrs. Breen was the Principle when I was in 1st grade and she definitely had this power. She claimed it was called "I have eyes in the back of my head."

Mrs. Breen was the Principle when I was in 1st grade and she definitely had this power. She claimed it was called "I have eyes in the back of my head."

Grade School Hero :D !

Team Leader: Encyclopedia Brown

Brick: Brother Bear (Berinstein Bears (sp?))

Summoner: Max (King of Where the Wild Things Are) summons wild things.

Team Vehicle: Majic School Bus

Sponsor: Miss Swampy (Teacher from the black lagoon)

Villian Gallery: Everything invented by R.L. Stine

*Laughing slowly dies down*

Okay back on subject.

The really sad part is, I can come up with at least two or three completely reasonable Special Effects for this ability. I think you should submit it for the Online USPD (Hypersenses and/or Mental Powers).

Hmmmmm. Okay, but first I need some "Variations" to send along with it. It's just proper. *thinks* okay here's a couple

I know what you're looking at Detect Being Detected (10) Ranged (5) Sense (2) 360 (5) Discriminatory (5) Analyze (5) Targeting (10)

Total: 37 points

Not only is the character aware that he's being watched, from where, with what sense, but has knowledge as to what the observer is looking at (he's put his sights on my left kneecap), and possibly what his watchers motivation is.

Does She know I laid that one? Detect Being Detected Using Smell Sense Group (5) Ranged (5) 360 (5)

Total: 15 points

If the character makes his perception roll, he will know if anyone can smell him. (ultimate satisfaction for the "elevator trick")

Advanced Anatidaephobia Detect Being Detected by Ducks (3) Ranged (5) Sense (2) 360 (5)

The characters constant fear, that he is being watched by malevolent ducks, has caused him to develop an uncanny ability to know when it actually happens. Unfortunatly, this only adds to the characters terror, as he doesn't know where Daffy is or how he's watching the character.

Okay that should do it for now. However, I think I have a few questions I need to answer before I try submiting this. For example:

What happens if the character is percieved using Clairsentience? Would he target the POV of the clairsentience or the character using it?

Does it work against Mind Scan?

Does it work against characters using telescopic? the POV should be well out of range, but the character has been detected . . .

Most importantly, is there a difference between being detected by Targeting and non-targeting senses? If he just has to be percieved by one of the characters senses, he may wind up running around battlefields yelling and never bathing, just to ensure he gets detected.

Yup, definitely things to think about.

Problems with detect detection

1. Unless you buy it RAPID you are going to get overwhelmed. If you can detect any detection then you are currently being detected by 1 Billon paramecium that are living on your skin and 1 Billion eColi that have made a habit of having fun with your stool. Not to mention the casual glances you get from flys, people, cameras and Pan Galactic Evil Creatures who inhabit just about any Hero game. Clearly you need some filters.

2. Also you won't detect someone determining your location via deduction. Batman could be around the corner and knowing the layout of the back alley you are in deduce in short order that you must be standing on the dumpster to the right of the window and then bounce an attack after you!

3. What advantage does it really give you? Once someone has detected you during their phase they usually are going to blast you, unless I guess if you have a saved action. Still - even so once someone has started their phase its too late to interupt it. Am I not correct on this?

1. Unless you buy it RAPID you are going to get overwhelmed. If you can detect any detection then you are currently being detected by 1 Billon paramecium that are living on your skin and 1 Billion eColi that have made a habit of having fun with your stool. Not to mention the casual glances you get from flys, people, cameras and Pan Galactic Evil Creatures who inhabit just about any Hero game. Clearly you need some filters.

Good point about rapid. Not a bad idea. Still, wtih respect to bacteria, do they really have a detect? I suppose they can react to certain chemicals and so forth, but many bacterial species lack a definite nucleus, and none have a brain. I would, if anything, treat them the same way normal vision treats the pixels on your telvision: all so tiny, all so close together, what they detect is related . . .

As for the bazillion eyes encountered in everyday life . . . well, our eyes are built with "sense", so how do we deal with the bazillion things we can see in a single glance? most of it just blends together. Same thing with HRRP. There are many radio signals on earth, not to mention cosmic background, but HRRP users figure it out.

2. Also you won't detect someone determining your location via deduction. Batman could be around the corner and knowing the layout of the back alley you are in deduce in short order that you must be standing on the dumpster to the right of the window and then bounce an attack after you!

Good catch.

3. What advantage does it really give you? Once someone has detected you during their phase they usually are going to blast you, unless I guess if you have a saved action. Still - even so once someone has started their phase its too late to interupt it. Am I not correct on this?

I think the main advantage will be in:

*catching everything from eavesdroppers to peeping toms to electronic bugs

*Beating invisible characters and characters with Darkness (personal immunity), yadda yadda.

*its a thiefs fantasy power (I know for certain nobody can see me.)

Originally posted by Sociotard

Good point about rapid. Not a bad idea. Still, wtih respect to bacteria, do they really have a detect?

All living things react to stimuli. To react to stimuli they must be able to detect it. No brain is needed. No complex nervous system is needed either. Camera's don't have brains or nervous systems (even if you consider their CPUs and electronics.) but they can still detect you.

Also, about seeing millions of things... seeing is not detection. I once pointed out to my girlfriend a rabbit on the side of the road.

"Where!?!"

"Over there"

"Where exactly?"

"You're looking right at him" (pointing franticly)

"I don't see the bun buns!" :( pouty face

"Grrrr"

See you can SEE something and not detect it. She just wasn't able to pick it out of the grass. Pretty much how they are designed anyway. Data is only overwhelming when you get a lot of "relevent data." People get into data overload quite often.

Anyway I detect the Red Sox are winning so I gotta jet. ;)

Originally posted by Sociotard

Does She know I laid that one? Detect Being Detected Using Smell Sense Group (5) Ranged (5) 360 (5)

If the character makes his perception roll, he will know if anyone can smell him. (ultimate satisfaction for the "elevator trick")

Advanced Anatidaephobia Detect Being Detected by Ducks (3) Ranged (5) Sense (2) 360 (5)

The characters constant fear, that he is being watched by malevolent ducks, has caused him to develop an uncanny ability to know when it actually happens. Unfortunatly, this only adds to the characters terror, as he doesn't know where Daffy is or how he's watching the character.

*dies laughing*