Martial Arts Character Help - Efficient?/Munchkin?

KA.

I am here to make a humble request for help with a character.

First let me provide some needed background and parameters.

One of my regular players is going to GM a Martial Arts campaign. This is his first shot at GM'ing. He wants us to play "realistic" characters, meaning we are at the "Competent Normal" level (50 points / 50 points of Disadvantages).

I do not have any experience at this power level; I am used to building Super Heroes, so I don't want to waste any points.

For those of you with a conscience about such things, let me make a couple of points clear:

A) I am not trying to create an unstoppable killing machine, I want to have a character who is reasonably effective in combat, while still having enough points to give the character an actual background, including Professional Skills, perhaps a "hobby" or two, etc.

B) I am dealing with an inexperienced GM, who is also used to playing at a higher power level, and I would like to have an efficient enough character that I won't die because of an "oops", on his part.

Now the parameters, as per the GM:

1) No Killing Attacks

2) Only "Basic" Martial Arts maneuvers are allowed. (Martial Strike, Martial Block, Martial Dodge, etc.) Since we are supposed to be students at a school, we don't yet have access to all the fancy stuff from the UMA.

3) No "Powers". Something like a Ch'i Healing or Chinese Herbal Healing might be okay, but no Ch'i blasts, Flight, etc.

4) No Weird constructs. (A 12d6 HTH attack with tons of limitations for 3 points.)

5) If it isn't already obvious from the above, Normal Characteristic Maxima.

As far a Characteristics, Skills, Skill Levels, etc. I leave it to you, I will figure out things like Professional Skills and Background skills, so leave 10 points or so for those, and other than that, you have a clear field.

What I am looking for is practical advice for constructing an effective character at a low power level, and ways of avoiding "wasted" points. I am usually not a munchkin, and I am not trying to become one now, but in the past I never really worried about things like "More DEX vs. Combat Skill Levels", I just did whatever seemed the most appropriate. However, with only 100 points total, I am more concerned with efficiency.

I know that this is a rather restrictive set of rules, but consider it like a soap box derby. Everyone starts with the same block of wood, and rules on how to carve it. Let's see who can go the fastest!

Thanks in advance,

KA

My first pass. Now this isn't a lot of points and this guy will kick the crap out of your average shmoe... but he has to be careful fighting other martial artists... stay on the defensive side, because a 15 STR guy with an Offensive Strike will do 1 Body to you per hit.

1" of running gives you +1 to your half move. Important.

A couple of levels and bare bones martial arts (mostly defenses... block, dodge, and grab to set up other people or just to stop them from smacking you) makes for a pretty decent fighter.

As someone who isn't going to take a beating with sticks... the concealment and stealth are very handy to hide with.

I pretty much consider the 4 SPD a must in such a campaign.

15 STR 5

18 DEX 24

15 CON 10

10 BODY 0

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

13 PRE 3

10 COM 0

6 PD 3

3 ED 0

4 SPD 12

6 REC 0

30 END 0

26 STUN 0

7" RUN 2

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 59

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on

4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike

Martial Arts Cost: 15

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Concealment 11-

1 KS: Martial Arts style of choice 8-

10 Other Skills (hobbies, professional skills, whatever)

3 Stealth 13-

6 +2 With Martial Arts

Skills Cost: 26

Total Character Cost: 100

Well... I would suggest some Damage Reduction, either with combat luck or a dex roll or other lims to represent that it is not a "real Power" that should help you with any GM fubs, and make you fairly resiliant in combat

On the defence side I am in the same boat as you so I would suggest a 7/7 with +3/+3 combat luck

Keep your Str to 15 if you have an Offencive Strike, 20 if you don;t

I would say two Skill levels with your MA

Find Weakness is optional on your strike manuver of choice, but can again make you good in combat

Something to remember about FW and DR, both are based on Multiplication, while most combat is based on Addition, what this means is this, the more powerful the foe, the more usefull the ability, makes a great way to keep up with anything a GM throws at you

a 10d6 againgst a 10 Def averages 25 damage, Damage reduction is 26

a 100d6 against a 340 damage against 10 Def, while averages 263, a protection of 87 points of damage, of cource most characters (READ ANY) will be throwing that big of an attack, but it makes a point

Thanks Acroyear!

Just the sort of thing I was looking for. It looks fine to me, but I will wait to see if someone wants to offer a 2nd, or 3rd opinion.

When I do decide on a final version, I will post him here to let you guys critique him.

KA

JmOz, Find Weakness stuff and Reduction could eat up 100 points very fast.

I don't think combat luck is needed with no killing attacks, but it could boost the def at a decent discount... I just don't think the ED part will be needed much, so it might not be very cost effective.

Just remember, KA... this guy isn't going to be taking a beating. You will have to fight defensively to last more than a couple phases. If someone goes the strongman route with 20 STR and an Offensive strike that's 8d6 (on average you take 2 Body and 22 Stun...stunned and almost KOed in one hit. They should be slower, though, and have a tough time hitting you, hopefully).

You probably won't be the fastest, either, but hopefully the faster guys can'thit as hard.

Expect attacks in the 5-8d6 range, mostly. If you had the offensive strike maneuver, you would go from 6d6 to 8d6. And can get 9d6 (iirc) if you put your levels into damage... see how quick it escalates?

If you drop the 10 points in hobby skills, you might consider 3 Int (for the Perception roll and +1 to your concealment) and maybe a couple more PD. Another 5 points can go to offensive strike or a couple more Body pips (keeps you alive longer and adds some to the meager Stun total). With the total points that low a lot of supers players will go all combat. Devoting 10% of your points to non-combat stuff will likely make you the most useful guy in the group (I strongly suggest Paramedics as one of the skills, Climbing might not be bad either... it could help you escape a rough fight if the other guy can't climb well "I'm a rock climber on my free sundays").

Aside from those areas that could use some help, you might also look into the defense maneuver ability.

Thanks for the tips JmOz!

I might be able to get away with some Damage Reduction and/or Combat Luck. I will run it past my GM.

I have a question, for you, or anyone else who wants to chime in.

If I can get it, is Missle Deflection worth the points?

Probably the highest level I could buy it to is Bows, and the campaign is going to be a modern setting, so my guess is most really bad guys are going to have guns, so what does anyone think?

It is sort of a classic bit, but I don't know if it will come up often enough to be worth it.

KA

Deflection at the thrown level could be handy and isn't expensive. Will help vs shuriken, thrown rocks and bottles, chairs, spears, etc.

I would rely on the dodge, though. With what I wrote up, and with levels, you hit 13DCV. A fast guy, 21 DEX and 2 levels only has a 7 or less to hit you. 9 or less if he has a +2 OCV maneuver.

If there are guns then combat luck is much more important.

Acroyear,

I think you are right, Dodge seems like a better, and more efficient defensive choice.

I may put Missle Deflection on my "wish list" of things to buy as I gain experience.

Speaking of that, and again, anyone reading is welcome to join in, what would you add to this character over time as experience is gained?

KA

I have added a list of things I can think of adding over the course of time with experience. These are not in order, if anyone would care to prioritize, I would appreciate it.

1) Missle Deflection (Non-Gunpowder)

2) A weapon art of some type. Bo?

3) Some type of ranged attack. Any ideas for non-Killing thrown attacks?

Guest Keneton

Acroyear did a great character for you. :)

Low powerd martail artist may gain some advantage by doing a customized maneuvers and/or styles. One of my favorites custom maneuvers is "Ultimate Block."

Ultimate Block +3/+0 Block, Abort 4pts.

Since Block is mainly used with levels in OCV the DCV adder benefit is not as useful. This gives teh charcter a little extra flexibility.

;)

Originally posted by Keneton

Acroyear did a great character for you. :)

Ultimate Block +3/+0 Block, Abort 4pts.

Just as a quick note - this is a great maneuver in one-on-one duels - but suffers against multiple opponents where the 'passive' DCV boost of a Martial Block can be very useful.

Missile Deflection vs. Thrown is quite cheap, and you can also add bonuses from Martial Blocking maneuvers to it, meaning you shouldn't have to buy many levels with it to make it effective.

As a completely alternative character building idea, it might be worth considering a +1-3d6 HA and a few more CSLs instead of martial maneuvers. I find in heroic games this can be as cheap or cheaper than actual martial arts and gives a bit more flexibility in CVs. Of course, it leaves you a very 'hard' martial art with none of the funky 'Opponent Falls' maneuvers or bonus strength to grabs and escapes.

For example, keeping the stats above you could replace the Martial Maneuvers and CSLs with:

+2d6 HA (10ap, 7rp)

+1 w/Block

+4 w/Block, Dodge, Strike

Something your GM might consider cheese (so might I, I only just thought of it and haven't really decided):

'Martial Prowess': +10 STR, No figured chars (-1/2)

+1 w/Block

+4 w/Block, Dodge, Strike

This does give you the bonuses to grab and escape. Hmm... not sure if I'd allow it, though :).

It depends a bit on your preferences...

Michael

Okay,

Here are two versions of this character as it stands so far.

Would anyone care to pick a favorite and/or offer criticism on ways to improve the final version?

Version One:

Professor Walter Brooks

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
17 DEX 21
15 CON 10
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
10 EGO 0
13 PRE 3
10 COM 0
9 PD 3
6 ED 0
4 SPD 13
6 REC 0
30 END 0
26 STUN 0
7" RUN22" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 60

4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
Martial Arts Cost: 15

Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 12-
3 KS Eastern Philosophy (INT-based) 12-
1 KS Karate 8-
3 PS Teacher (INT-based) 12-
3 Stealth 12-
6 +2 with Karate
Skills Cost: 19

Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck: 3 PD/3 ED
Talents Cost: 6

Val Disadvantages
10 Dependent NPC Girlfriend, Normal, 8- (Infrequently)
20 Dependent NPC Students, Incompetent (-20 points or lower), 8- (Infrequently), Group DNPC (x2 DNPCs)
10 Psychological Limitation: Philosophical, Common, Moderate
10 Rivalry w/ Coach Weaver, Professional and Romantic, Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima: No Age Restriction

Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 50

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Version 2:

Professor Walter Brooks

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
17 DEX 21
15 CON 10
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
10 EGO 0
12 PRE 2
10 COM 0
8 PD 2
6 ED 0
4 SPD 13
6 REC 0
30 END 0
26 STUN 0
7" RUN22" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 58

4 Crush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +5d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
5 Defensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, STR +1d6 Strike
3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +15 STR for holding on
4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 20

Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 12-
3 KS Eastern Philosophy (INT-based) 12-
1 KS Karate 8-
3 PS Teacher (INT-based) 12-
6 +2 with Karate
Skills Cost: 16

Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck: 3 PD/3 ED
Talents Cost: 6

Val Disadvantages
10 Dependent NPC Girlfriend, Normal, 8- (Infrequently)
20 Dependent NPC Students, Incompetent (-20 points or lower), 8- (Infrequently), Group DNPC (x2 DNPCs)
10 Psychological Limitation: Philosophical, Common, Moderate
10 Rivalry w/ Coach Weaver, Professional and Romantic, Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima: No Age Restriction

Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 50

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Thanks for your help,

KA

I would suggest more non-combat skills. Maybe Drop your CON to 13(still good), I would drop Mtl. Grab fo Mtl. Throw, and I would drop Mtl. Dodge(for now, i'd buy it with xp if I thought I needed it). That frees up 8 pts for various KS, your a professor, you should buy scholar and many KS at 11- for 1 pt.

Just my opinion,

John Spencer

JohnOSpencer: You know, at heart I agree with you. I may try to find a way to work in some more background skills.

As I said in me earlier posts, I am used to designing Champions characters, so only having 100 total points to work with has probably caused me to be a bit stingy.

One thing that I think may have mislead some of you is the "No Killing Attacks" parameter.

That only applies to us in creating our PC's, it does not mean we will be in a gun-free world.

That is why I took the Martial Dodge.

Since I currently have no Ranged attack, and no advanced movement, that is basically my only defense against a gun or similar weapon, other than my DCV. That's mostly what I took it for.

KA