Seraphim Station

phoenix240

I am building a character that effectively has two bodies: A large semi mobile orbital space station and a more humiform robotic remote that she uses to interact and deal with regular scale tasks. The two forms share her consciousness simultaneously. I have a few questions about possible builds for this character.

1. Can Duplicate be a different base Template from the original character (a Base/vehicle in this case)?

2. Would a Space station be a Base or a Vehicle in your opinion and why? Its quite large and normally stationary but can change position in orbit as far out as the moon.

3. I envisioned the character being able to control conditions inside her "body" doing things like opening, closing and locking door, turning the lights on and off, adjusting the temperature, etc. She can also sense what's going on in most of her internal section via camera/mics. Would that be something acceptable to leave as special effects or should she have a Power construct to represent that levels of internal control and awareness? How about internal weapons and security systems?

4. The Space station form will include many small robots that handle maintenance, repairs and other task. They are not self aware and only semi autonomous at best and typical act as direct extensions of the character's will. Would they be best represented by Followers, Extra Limbs or sfx in your opinion?

Re: Seraphim Station

1. Duplicates can be of different forms, but should probably be built using the same rules (i.e both as characters).
  2. Base. The changing of positions is sort of secondary.
  3. (and 4). You might build the "base" persona as a base with followers. Then apply the cost to the "character" form. Assuming the base aspect can also construct new mobile constructs, then build the "character" with Regeneration, Resurrection Only, Extra-Time in order to model that the base has to either construct a new mobile unit ( a very long Extra Time) or simply upload the persona into a new unit (a turn to a minute).

Of course, all of that gets pretty expensive, pretty fast.

I am building a character that effectively has two bodies: A large semi mobile orbital space station and a more humiform robotic remote that she uses to interact and deal with regular scale tasks. The two forms share her consciousness simultaneously. I have a few questions about possible builds for this character.

1. Can Duplicate be a different base Template from the original character (a Base/vehicle in this case)?

Yes, but it's more expensive - such a Duplicate would count as "completely different." However, I'm not sure Duplication is the right power.

2. Would a Space station be a Base or a Vehicle in your opinion and why? Its quite large and normally stationary but can change position in orbit as far out as the moon.

Probably could go with either.

3. I envisioned the character being able to control conditions inside her "body" doing things like opening, closing and locking door, turning the lights on and off, adjusting the temperature, etc. She can also sense what's going on in most of her internal section via camera/mics. Would that be something acceptable to leave as special effects or should she have a Power construct to represent that levels of internal control and awareness?

"Awareness" is the problem. A Base or Vehicle is not normally aware at all.

Rather then Duplicate, you might want a Base (or Vehicle) and a permanent Clairvoyance covering it.

How about internal weapons and security systems?

Have to be paid for of course.

4. The Space station form will include many small robots that handle maintenance' date=' repairs and other task. They are not self aware and only semi autonomous at best and typical act as direct extensions of the character's will. Would they be best represented by Followers, Extra Limbs or sfx in your opinion?[/quote']

Or you might want to design the whole character as an AI + Base (or Vehicle) and the remote "body" can actually be the Physical Manifestation of a Linked Clairvoyance and Telekinesis.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

How is this character going to interact most of the time? As Robot or Base? I think the robot is more likely (90%).

When they share the consciousness, how? Is the Robot body remote controlled or can it remote controll the base? What happens if their connection is cut? How can his personality be destroyed for good?

What happens if the "Main interaction Body" (still thinking of the robot) is destroyed? Is he rebuild by the other?

Personally I would:

Build the Robot as a 08/15 character.

Give the Robot a base, give the base an AI.

Mind Link Base AI and Robot-character.

Give the Robot Resurrection Regeneration/Extra Time healing (Only works as long as Base is still there); he get's a new body whenever he is destroyed but when the base goes boom/offline he is in trouble

Base Mooks:

Depends on how much controll he can archieve and how many he can controll how detailed at once.

On the easiest level just normal Robots with Mind link to the Bases-AI.

On the highets Base AI and/or Robot body can jump into them (Posession of machine Class of Mind; Only Personal Minions and only through Mind Link).

It's a base, because you don't use it to move around. If you are taking it to Titan and Alpha Centauri, then it could be a vehicle, but floating in space is no different than being in a mall - it's just a location.

As for how I'd build it, personally I'd build a base. This base just happens to have a sentient machine mind living in the base's computer network. I would then build a character with multiform or a VPP to represent all the robot bodies, and treat it the same as any iron man clone that changes the suit each week. The cost of the base and the cost of the character have no connection. Most of the time the base hums along on automatic, but if the character wishes, it can leave the current robotic body and occupy small portions of the base. If it is in the robotic body when the robot is destroyed, then it must make a roll to have transferred into a different form in time to prevent death. This is pretty close to how I run Mechanon.

If you want the entire base to be sentient, and for this AI to be able to control multiple portions of the base at the same time, then I would not allow it as a PC. Handwavium would explain how it all works as an NPC.

When the AI is in a robot form, the base becomes an NPC with a dumb computer in control.

How to build it is mostly determind by what you are going to play (as PC or NPC):

Do you play a Base, that sits aroudn in space?

Or a walking, talking gun tooting Robot who happens to have a base that rebuilds him whenever he dies (either from backup or because his mind actually sits there and remote-controlls the robot body).

For comparsion, a similar concept I once had:

An ancient, sentient warship (the size of a large spacefighter but way more battlepower). It really like interacting with humans so it sends down a (replaceable)probe that interacts with people. It does so because it's rahter bulky itself and it's weapons only can go so low (only down to 2 times incenerating a superhuman brick). First thought would be: A vehicle with summoning.

But then it hit me: I am most likely not going to play a vehicle (that sits in orbit most of the time). I am going to play the Drone that interacts with people, is down there fighting crime, that can call the cavallery (the vehicle) in certain situations. The drone is de-facto immortal (when the character is "killed", he just get's rebuild) wich is easily done with "Regeneration, Resurrection (Resurrects at Vehicle and only when vehicle is not destroyed), Can't act until fully healed". Aside from the time to Rebuild there might simply be situation where dying takes this "PC" out of the picture for some time (he can be replaced, but getting him into the action is tricky).

Seraphim is an NPC. She exists as one being with two bodies: her humanoid robot form and the space station simoulataneously. Her aware is shared between them for the most part and she uses the robot form to interact with humans, visit other locations and other functions not suited for her larger form.

Psychologically, she considered both bodies as "herself" and losing one would be like losing a limb for a human, hurtful but not fatal. Of course, that mostly role playing fodder and not something that has to be reflected in the character sheet. But it is one of the reasons I was looking at Duplication instead of just buying a character with a Base/Vehicle or a Base/Vehicle with a Follower.

Seraphim is an NPC. She exists as one being with two bodies: her humanoid robot form and the space station simoulataneously. Her aware is shared between them for the most part and she uses the robot form to interact with humans' date=' visit other locations and other functions not suited for her larger for.[/quote']

Wich I asume will be 90% or more of her interaction with the PC/other NPC.

Psychologically' date=' she considered both bodies as "herself" and losing one would be like losing a limb for a human, hurtful but not fatal.[/quote']

Psychological Complication: Fanatically Protective of Other Body Part (Total).

Of course' date=' that mostly role playing fodder and not something that has to be reflected in the character sheet. But it is one of the reasons I was looking at Duplication instead of just buying a character with a Base/Vehicle or a Base/Vehicle with a Follower.[/quote']

Duplication is tricky for this. Technically it does not allow the part to be rebuild/restored once destroyed - ever. And of course there is the problem of using a different Template for the Station.

In the end, both Duplication and Base allow you to get an extra Sheet for 1 CP/5 Total Points cost. Duplication has the disadvantages that it will need: 100% Different Duplicate Advantage; Inherent Advantage; and the real costs have to be paid by the Duplicate too...

I don't know if Base has some disadvantages that is relevant for the Idea.

Another possibility that I was considering was building her station body as a normal Template just with powers and disadvantages to represent her nature. That could be expensive since the freebies that come from being a Base or Vehicle won't be available but since it's an NPC that's not as much of an issue.

Another possibility that I was considering was building her station body as a normal Template just with powers and disadvantage to represent her nature. That could be expensive since the freebies that come from being a Base or Vehicle won't be available but since it's an NPC that's not as much of an issue.

You also save something on the Freebies of the character Template (like SPD, DEX, ability to act on it's own, senses; maybe DCV).

But it still think the real body would better be somethign mobile. After all, bases can't evade attacks (normally) and might not even be considered as sentient. Plus it's kinda hard to miss.