How do you handle Danger Sense?

Dr. MID-Nite

Despite being very experienced with the Hero system....it occured to me that...up to now....I've never had a player with Danger Sense...and I'm at loss as to how to run it as dramatic and interesting without it being gamebreaking. For that matter...how does Danger Sense work thematically..is it a buzz in your head...someone telling you look out...what?

Re: How do you handle Danger Sense?

The special effects of Danger Sense (the 'thematics') are whatever you want them to be. One PC in a game has Luck powers; when he makes a Danger Sense roll against an impending attack, he just randomly does something that makes it less likely to hit (he keeps his full DCV), like bending down to pick up a quarter just when someone fires a shot at his head.

The main thing with Danger Sense is, as far as I know at least, you don't check it until the danger is actually sprung. If you waltz into a warehouse with twenty ninjas in it, you don't get a chance to Sense the Danger until one of them actually springs their surprise attack. Just them lurking about doesn't work. I've never observed it to be particularly gamebreaking (or even gamebending).

At some point in the Rulebooks I have seen a "Disaster Monitoring System" wich is basically Danger Sense with Sense Adder, Dicriminatory and planetary range.

At the basic level you need to take a 1/2 Phase action, make your Roll (wich I would modify by Range), be able to percieve the danger with any of your other sensese (no Invisibility vs. all five groups) and then would not pe surpised in combat and maybe even able to launch your coutnerattack with full OCV. You can still be suprised out of combat.

A advanced Version allows you to be not suprised outside of combat (Crosshairs example), let's it function as a sense, gvies you the same clues about your teammates, the city* or even the world*.

The character can further augment it with normal Sense Adders (Telescopic, Dsicrciminatory/Analyze, etc.) to get better readouts.

*Those are the tricky ones. I guess the hero is very likely to know that something is going to happen and will be in his spandex when the alarm goes of. I would let him know if the danger is towards the entire area (i.e. the entire room or the city) or only against himself/person X/Persons X, Y and Z, etc.

It's certainly a good plot-device.

The main thing with Danger Sense is' date=' as far as I know at least, you don't check it until the danger is actually sprung. If you waltz into a warehouse with twenty ninjas in it, you don't get a chance to Sense the Danger until one of them actually springs their surprise attack. Just them lurking about doesn't work. I've never observed it to be particularly gamebreaking (or even gamebending).[/quote']

Actually the variable cost of Danger Sense is becasue it includes things like "out of combat" as options you can purchase.