I want to create a sand that expands when wet (like the foam you put in your walls)

crayadder

My character uses many different types of sand as weapons. Some blind, some choke, some cause people to slip and fall. The one I am stuck on is a sand that I am dubbing Swelling Sand. The premise is that you pour it into a confined space, such as a crack between giant stone blocks, or into a lock on a chest and then pour water in after it. The sand then expands by tenfold - forcing the blocks in example one apart and busting the lock on the chest in example two. I also would like the option of pouring it down an enemy's throat, for the expected effect. But, how to build it?

Tunneling is too narrow, pardon the pun. So I am thinking about RKA, but am not quite sure that it's as simple as that. Perhaps it is and I am over-thinking it. I welcome your perspectives :)

Re: I want to create a sand that expands when wet (like the foam you put in your wall

This is my first attempt at building it.

Swelling Sand: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Conforming (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (17 Active Points); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), IIF: Sand (-1/4), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

Re: I want to create a sand that expands when wet (like the foam you put in your wall

This could be built several ways.

The Killing Attack would be the go-to for things like breaking locks, suffocating enemies (as you are filling their throat with sand, I would reason that is an attack rather than a drain or CE), etc.

You could do a Major Transform (Nothing to Sand) for some aspects of this power, where it isn't directly damaging anything.

Or you could build it as a CE when it is not being used to directly attack something (penalties to movement, dex rolls, PER rolls, etc.)

This type of power is often "difficult to build" if only because there really is so much you could do with it that any one power might not really cover it all.

Thanks Kraven, I had begun thinking that was the case - the complexity of the effects. To really flesh it out and cover all the possibilities I'm going to have to spend more than 20 points for it. However, I think the Killing Attack will suffice for now.

I think you are looking at a small multi-power really. Then it depends on how you attempt to use the thing - you can always add another slot if you disover new uses.

I was thinking of barrier, triggered by adding water - that should fill a space with something substantial to provide bulk, shape and/or defence....

Good luck with the point budget though.... :)

Doc