A Few Slight Delays: Building a Hero System system and setting

Narf the Mouse

• 2 weeks later...

Re: A Few Slight Delays: Building a Hero System system and setting

Mouse,

So far so good. The only feedback i have is that while the crunch is very cool it doesn't give me that sense of place, location or life. You might consider adding some more content on the world and its inhabitants. So far its all pretty bare bones.

Mouse,

So far so good. The only feedback i have is that while the crunch is very cool it doesn't give me that sense of place, location or life. You might consider adding some more content on the world and its inhabitants. So far its all pretty bare bones.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, it is rather dry. Not sure how to spice up the system without making it a second setting, though.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/a-few-slight-delays/wikis/species-generic - Quotes for the three species I've ported to the new format.

Need to go through everything and make a to-do list. Then, complete the to-do list. It's proven effective in the past.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/a-few-slight-delays/wikis/advancement-generic - The advancement chart made official.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/a-few-slight-delays/wikis/fighter-archetype-generic - First six levels of the Fighter archetype.

• 3 months later...

I seem to be creative blocked on this. Part of it seems to be that I have no clue what I'm doing. I've taken a few stabs at campaigns before, but none of them got very far. I can make stuff that's individually good, but - I'm lost.

Halp!

I'll have to look at everything a little more to answer. I've looked briefly at your advancement chart and it looks pretty good for what you said you're trying to do (zero to hero style game). I'd have to take a closer look at everything else to see how it fits.

I'll have to look at everything a little more to answer. I've looked briefly at your advancement chart and it looks pretty good for what you said you're trying to do (zero to hero style game). I'd have to take a closer look at everything else to see how it fits.

Thanks. Two brains are better than one. :)

(...But how do we help a platypus fly?)

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. -- anon.

What kind of game would you want to play in? What kinds of cool stuff do you see characters doing? Even more, what kinds of cool stuff do you see warrior types doing? Wizards? Rogues? Priests? Any other particular types?

What are some of the personalities in your campaign world the PCs will be most likely to interact with? They don't have to be high kings and emperors and whatnot -- local busybodies can do just fine, especially for lower-power PCs.

How much are you trying to bite off? Don't try to build an entire world up front. Start with whatever area you expect the first adventure to take place in and around. Basically, only pre-create anything you expect the PCs to touch, plus maybe a little bit outside the lines in case they go over. For stuff outside of that, you can have some vague ideas in place along with some ideas for stuff to put in just in case. You might even not do any more work on the writeups for character types -- maybe the background text for them, if necessary, but don't even write them up until your players decide what they want to play (or until/unless you want to use NPC versions of them as villains). Write up some generic NPCs. The kinds of ordinary folks PCs are likely to bump into on the road, in town, at the inn, and so forth.

Yeah, Chris has good advice (as usual). You've got a good start on a lot of stuff that can be fleshed out, but unless you're particularly inspired to work on it, there's no rush to finish now. Let your players develop their characters as they see fit, and you just stay a step or two ahead of them.

Do you have any ideas for how you'll handle multiclassing? I didn't see anything about it, and I'm sure someone will want to at some point. It would be a shame to say "no" to something like that while using the Hero System.

Thing is, what I'm writing is supplements, not something aimed at a particular gaming group. It's "If you want to play a zero-to-hero game in the style of The Game With Too Many Trademarks, you can use this as your core."

So that would be the defining article. To then take the questions in order:

1) For supplements, this is reverse; "If you want to play in this type of game, what would you look for?" - Bare minimum would be Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, standardized class abilities; Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Human, standardized racial abilities; "Levels" of some sort; Multi-classing of one to two types; A book of standardized monsters; one "mini-setting".

Good; now I have a goal to work towards and a definition of the task. The definition may need to be updated, but at least it's there.

2) Again, reversed with supplements; "What sort of cool stuff can you do in this world?". Clerics can be "Wrath of $Deity" and "Can fight". Fighters can be "Action movie stars"; rough, tough, dangerous and deadly. Rogues can be the guys you never see coming and you're never sure what they're up to, even if they're on your side. Wizards can be "Incredible Arcane Power And Knowledge". And all of those are goals you can work towards. That's one of the things I like about classic D&D and I think is outright inspirational - No matter how unskilled you start, you can become someone who can move mountains, shatter armies, destroy the secret weapon in the middle of the entire enemy army, travel to other planes of existance. And it doesn't stop there.

It's not about power fantasy. It's endless progress.

But the cool stuff shouldn't just be the end-game. At "20th level", maybe the Cleric is plane-shifting the party to the afterlife of an evil deity to sneak in and rescue a captive; at "1st-level", the Fighter is still the best in a fight in the party.

3) "there should be some cool NPCs to interact with." Hmm...Array of d18x18 character traits? And NPCs with the min-setting, of course.

I have something that might work in there, but it needs a lot more going on and much less "plotted adventure". Maybe expand it to a large valley, with a city, a few towns, some villages?

Anyway, tell me what you think when you finish reading it. :)

With all that in mind, I'd say what you need is to expand your class-specific advancement charts and expand on the magic system (especially in ways that advance with power level...the way fireball spells increase with level in other RPGs). As it's a project for your own entertainment (at least at this point) the important thing to do is not push it too hard and burn yourself out. Plug away at it when you feel the inspiration, but don't despair if you don't get the inspiration for a while.

With all that in mind' date=' I'd say what you need is to expand your class-specific advancement charts and expand on the magic system (especially in ways that advance with power level...the way fireball spells increase with level in other RPGs). As it's a project for your own entertainment (at least at this point) the important thing to do is not push it too hard and burn yourself out. Plug away at it when you feel the inspiration, but don't despair if you don't get the inspiration for a while.[/quote']

Thanks. :)