Castle Bathory

teh bunneh

Re: Castle Bathory

Cachtice Castle, anglicized as "Csejete."

No floor plans appear to be available online. But its a ruin and it may be no one has bothered.

Trivially speaking, she was famously walled up there, but they exhumed her and interred her in her family's crypt in Esced.

The peasants didn't want her buried near them.

Wiki-entry with back ground: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cachtice_Castle

Site with pictures: http://www.slovakheritage.org/Castles/cachtice.htm

Some shmoes youtube video:

(I wrote a a few short urban fantasy stories with Bathory as the anti-hero protagonists a while back)

I did go to Google Maps and zoomed in on the castle, which gave me a basic layout. It's a little tough to make out any details -- it's sort of hard to tell what's a wall and what's a footpath or a shadow, for instance. But it's a start. Thanks!

If anyone finds anything, please let me know! :)

I did go to Google Maps and zoomed in on the castle, which gave me a basic layout. It's a little tough to make out any details -- it's sort of hard to tell what's a wall and what's a footpath or a shadow, for instance. But it's a start. Thanks!

If anyone finds anything, please let me know! :)

Well, think of it this way. If it's this hard for you/us to find maps, then anything you come up with is unlikely to be challenged by the players. Gives you a fairly free hand to use another castle that you can get floor plans for.

The concentric wall and keep is really only typical of limited parts of Europe (and certain periods) - there's plenty of floorplans on the web with more varied shapes, but ya have to know where to look.

Basically Eastern Europe (including Germany) and Iberia used terrain much more than the low countries, France and England (the home of the concentric wall and keep castle :)) so their layouts are much more varied.

So if you google (for example) "Moravian castle floorplans" "German castle floor plans" etc for images, select black and white images, and you'll get plenty of "bathory style" castles.

This site has plenty of floorplans, plus 3D reconstructions (so to speak :))

cheers, Mark

Oh, and if it has to be "Bathory's castle" (ie: the one where she was walled up) this video gives a nice overhead view: easy enough to sketch the layout from that.