Super Friends

matthewcelis

I'm going to try to run a game where the players are the Super Friends, anybody want to help me build these heroes and villains using only the abilities they demonstrated in the cartoons? Doesn't matter how many points they cost, as anyone playing a weak hero will likely take a second character to balance things (for example: Batman's player will also have Robin).

Superman

Batman plus -plane, -boat, and -mobile

Robin

Wonder Woman plus invisible jet

Aquaman plus his Seadoo he always rides

Green Lantern

Flash

Hawkman

Black Vulcan

Apache Chief

Samurai

Luthor

Brainiac

Bizarro

Toyman

Riddler

Cheetah

Giganta

Black Manta

Captain Cold

Gorilla Grodd

Scarecrow

Sinestro

Solomon Grundy

Might try to build Hall of Justice and Legion of Doom HQ as well!

(Also this might turn into an online game so let me know if that interests you as well. By the by, we're only using Champions 2nd edition, Champions II, and Champions III rules.)

Re: Super Friends

Even if you don't apply a strict no hitting policy, it's a low damage environment. That's good - it means you don't need to sink massive points into attacks and defences, which frees up points to buy other stuff.

Incidentally, Batman's vehicles would be a horrible point sink. He is likely to be one of the more expensive characters. On the plus side, his skills would be relatively cheap, compared to other versions of the character.

The 350/5e & 400/6e versions of the characters I've built (see links in Signature below) are all based in part on the JLAnimated & the Alex Ross Justice series* (both derivatives of the original Superfriends). They would make good templates to start from.

*Continuity

Justice takes place outside of the regular DC Universe continuity, with most of the characters featured in the story being modern day incarnations of their Silver Age of comic books counterparts. The series heavily draws upon the 1970s Super Friends animated series, most notably the Challenge of the Super Friends incarnation, which featured the Legion of Doom as regular characters.

Thanks for the links.

I'm not great at building preexisting characters, but shouldn't the Flash have 12 Speed given that he is the Fastest Man Alive and should be able to act every segment? Speed of 6 barely puts him even with half the martial artists I see in Champions. Is there something I'm not understanding in that write-up?

I haven't read comics in about 25 years so is this a new ability or a different Flash than I know?: "Superspeed Recovery: Healing BODY 1d6+1 (standard effect: 4 points), [two powers] simultaneously (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Limited Power Affected by Adjustment powers as an EC (-1/4)"

Thanks for the links.

I'm not great at building preexisting characters, but shouldn't the Flash have 12 Speed given that he is the Fastest Man Alive and should be able to act every segment? Speed of 6 barely puts him even with half the martial artists I see in Champions. Is there something I'm not understanding in that write-up?

I haven't read comics in about 25 years so is this a new ability or a different Flash than I know?: "Superspeed Recovery: Healing BODY 1d6+1 (standard effect: 4 points), [two powers] simultaneously (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Limited Power Affected by Adjustment powers as an EC (-1/4)"

Please see the discussion thread link for more background on the "why" on the builds. They aren't balanced to the published Champions Universe. They are built consistent to one another. The Overall Levels in the frameworks of Flash, Superman & Captain Marvel represents one aspect of 'super-speed'. Other board members have suggested that SPEED in HERO is really just how many frames/panels of a comic book page they get to act in. Flash really doesn't double the number of distinct actions as his teammates. Rather, he does repetitive tasks much much faster (For every -3 to a skill roll a character is willing to take they can perform a task 1 level down the speed chart, an action that normally would take 5 minutes could be done in 1 minute @-3 or 1 Turn @ -6). And those levels are also great when applied towards multiple attack/sweeps.

The healing is just another way to represent the Wally West JLAnimated version of the character's ability to quickly recover from nearly any form of injury or attack that didn't outright kill him. Note that it requires him to consciously active the ability. It's not like Wolverine's healing factor. Flash is purposely speeding up his metabolism for the purposes of recovery.

A good example of it is in these 2 clips. Flash is exposed to the vacuum of space and recovers in a matter of a few seconds.

@7:45

@0:53

I see' date=' it's [b']Kid Flash[/b]with new powers. I hadn't realized Barry Allen wasn't the Flash anymore.

Thanks for the tips.

Barry Allen died in Crisis On Infinite Earths and has only recently returned to the mantle of Flash in the comics.

At the time I made these builds he was still dead. :D

Even if you don't apply a strict no hitting policy, it's a low damage environment. That's good - it means you don't need to sink massive points into attacks and defences, which frees up points to buy other stuff.

Incidentally, Batman's vehicles would be a horrible point sink. He is likely to be one of the more expensive characters. On the plus side, his skills would be relatively cheap, compared to other versions of the character.

While the following is technically not spoofing Superfriends directly it is essentially the same version of Batman & Robin and a hilarious example of what fighting would have looked like on the original series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tg13YpbBSQ&feature=related

Barry Allen died in Crisis On Infinite Earths and has only recently returned to the mantle of Flash in the comics.

At the time I made these builds he was still dead. :D

Well that certainly stinks. The Flash was one of the only comics I read fairly regularly when I could find them at the convenience store!

In my own private universe Barry Allen is still the Flash, Wally West is still Kid Flash, Bruce Wayne is Batman, Dick Grayson is Robin, and so on!

Batman could be bought for 250 points if you use Multiform.

Bruce Wayne would have a 60 point Multiform 4x 250 (Batman, Batmobile, Batboat, Batplane)

Robin is a 20 Point Follow with 100+ Disadvantages

Most of the villains traps would be entangles.

Batman could be bought for 250 points if you use Multiform.

Bruce Wayne would have a 60 point Multiform 4x 250 (Batman, Batmobile, Batboat, Batplane)

Robin is a 20 Point Follow with 100+ Disadvantages

Most of the villains traps would be entangles.

I'm trying to keep things simple, and as I said at the beginning the points spent doesn't matter. All that matters is that the characters can do what kids saw them do on TV.

Multiform would just confuse them.