Ifrit

TheNaga

Re: Ifrit

I need some help in figuring out what skill he had before he became an Ifrit. I also need fix up his sheet from what I have so far so he can be a playable character. I was think the character was an archeologist (Middle East). He dug up a lamp while in Iran.

Ifrit

Physical Description: A large humanoid creature walks in. He stands at sixteen feet tall. He has a powerful muscular build with a barrel-shaped chest. Running throughout his fiery red skin are what appears to be veins of molten lava. Smoke rises in curls from the skin. His head which low slung between its shoulders is aflame, though the fire does not burn him, and the fire cascades over a bulge in the back of his skull and down his back down to his elbows. His visage is fearsome to behold. Above his eyes from which white-hot fire blazes intensely are thick-ridged brows. Beneath his eyes, his face juts forward, making his cheekbones angle to the sides. Intense fire blazes forth from the jaws which are line with sharp hooked teeth. In both long pointed ears he wears a silver earring. His hands are wide and monstrous looking, each of his fingers ending in a massive, sharp, iron-grey claw. From the waist down, he looks very much like a large twisting cone of fire. In both hands he wields a scimitar, their blades dark as night and giving off waves of heat, as if they were an extension of himself.

I don't see any scimitars in the writeup.

Characteristics

55 STR30 + Greater Strength: +30 STR = 85

There's no point shoving half his characteristics into powers. This STR would be too high for most Champions games. 60 - 70 tends to be the max for starting Supers, and 60 more often than 70.

20 DEX

25 CON 10 Greater Toughness: +10 CON = 35 CON

22 INT

17 EGO

20 PRE 10 More Impressive: +10 PRE = 30 PRE

I'd bump INT and EGO to 23 and 18 - may as well get the rounding for the char roll. No big issues with anything else, although CON 35 is pretty high/hard to stun, but I'd be OK with it.

4 OVC

4 DVC

He will never hit, and seldom be missed. The latter is probably OK given he's huge, and assuming he will suck up the damage rather than dodge attacks (but see below).

5 OMVC

5 DMVC

No great reason to have high mental CV's, but nothing inherently wrong with this.

4 SPD

Low, but in the game, for Supers. Mitigates his high damage capacity (as does a sucky OCV, thinking on it).

2 PD 6 Tougher: +6 PD = 8 PD

2 ED 6 Tougher: +6 ED = 8 ED

Consider that you have built a character that does 17d6 damage. If he were hit with his own attack, he would take 59.5 STUN - 8 = 51.5 average stun and would be stunned, if we weren't KO'd. He'll also suck up 9 BOD on average.

4 REC

30 END

28 BODY 6 Greater Mass: +6 BODY = 34 BOD

35 STUN 6 Greater Toughness: +12 STUN = 47

OK, BOD is really high, while END and STUN are really low. REC is pitiful.

It costs you 9 END to punch a target, so you can't last a turn in combat, and your REC takes over two turns to get back enough to throw a punch.

12 Running

4 Swimming

Seems like a guy made of fire might even sell back his swimming, though I suppose his original man form could know how to swim. With a lower half made of fire, selling back running and moving by flight also makes some sense.

Skills

10 CuK: Islamic Studies 19-

10 KS: Myths and Legends 19-

Talents

27Speak Any Language:Universal Translator 20-

3 Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)

2 Lava: Environmental Movement (no penalties on)

The skills and UT are pretty high. Ambidexterity is not normally a Supers purchase.

Powers

3 Reach: Stretching 3m

12 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -12m

36 Immunity To Harm: Resistant Protection (14 PD/10 ED)

OK, that brings his defenses up to 22/18, so he's getting into the realm of Supers defenses (he'd still be stunned by an average attack from himself though).

20 Immunity To Fire: Desolidification (40 Active Points); Only To Protect Against [Limited Type Of Attack] (Fire; -1)

A definite "talk to GM" power - Damage Negation is often the 6e approach to invulnerability. As well, note that he is only invulnerable if he activates Desolid, at a cost of 4 END, and technically needs "Affects Solid World" to be able to attack while desolid.

45 Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (8 1/2d6 / 9d6+1 w/STR)

Not sure where the 9d6+1 comes from - I see + 5 1/2d6 from 85 STR. Now we're talking 26 damage classes, well out of any Standard Supers range. An average roll will total 30 BOD, punching 14 through his own defenses. And another 4 END if he uses this.

17 High Temperature Body: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6' date=' Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (26 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)[/quote']

Again, does he have to turn this on and off? Typically, this would be Persistent, Always On if you want a standard state.

Fire- and Smoke-Based Powers

20 Breathe Fire: Blast 5d6 (25 Active Points); Limited Range (-1/4)

40 Body Of Smoke: Desolidification (affected by affected by lightning and wind), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

15 Kindle: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, Sticky (only affects flammables; +1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Indirect (Source Point can vary from use to use, path can change with every use; +1) (19 Active Points); Limited Range (-1/4)

30 Flaming: Teleportation 12m, MegaScale (1m = 100 km; +1 1/2) (30 Active Points)

A 5d6 blast is pretty useless, especially compared to a 17 (19) d6 punch or a 8 1/2d6 (9d6 + 1) HKA.

To take a step back, Hero isn't a "have lots of hit points and add more damage for powerful attacks" game structure. Typically, attacks are pretty clustered, and will get some meaningful STUN past average defenses. A starting Supers game often features 12 DC attacks and 20 - 25 defenses, for example., with 40 - 50 STUN and 23 CON being pretty common

40 Assume Human Form: Shape Shift (Sight, Hearing, Touch and Smell/Taste Groups, limited group of shapes), Imitation, Makeover

21 Regeneration (2 BODY per Hour), Can Heal Limbs

22 Body of an Ifrit: Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing)

12 Flight 10m, No Turn Mode (+1/4) (12 Active Points)

19 Eyes Of Fire: Infrared Perception (Sight Group), Telescopic: +10, Tracking, Inherent (+1/4) (19 Active Points)

8 Density Increase (400 kg mass, +10 STR, +2 PD/ED, -4m KB)

OK, now see the extra 10 STR if he activates Density Increase. So he can become dense by spending another END per phase (plus one more for each attack using that extra STR) I'd also ditch Inherent. Maybe put it on the fiery body, though. The Shape Shift seems like overkill. Can he use all his powers in that form? If not, OIAID in his Efreet form might make sense.

-12 Only Flies: Running -6" (-12 Active Points)

-2 Only Flies: Swimming -6" (-2 Active Points)

OK, here goes the swimming and running. With 10 meters of movement, he's quite slow.

Complications

15 Physical Complication: Enormous (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)

So he shape shifts into a 16' tall human?

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Cold (Common)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Cold (Common)

That's pretty much an instant KO, but that's fine so long as you're OK with that. Note that, if you got hit with a 9d6 + 1 cold KA, it will average 63 BOD - 10 rED = 53 BOD - almost instant death.

15 Physical Complication: Confined By The Seal Of Solomon (Infrequently; Fully Impairing)

15 Distinctive Features: Ifrit (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)

Total Points Spents: 650

If he can become a human- how are his Features not concealable?

This is 250 more than a starting character - are you building for a specific game with parameters from the GM?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The character is slowly learning his powers as an Ifrit. I have 300 points to spend on the character. I was thinking he wanted to be the most powerful being in the universe. He starts out but slowly turns into a hero.

I left out the skill Archeology as one of his skills he know before becoming any Ifrit.

The characteristics first listed in the powers comes from the SIZE TEMPLATE Size: Large (character is up to twice human size)

You forgot this when mentioning PD/ED. Immunity To Harm: Resistant Protection (14 PD/10 ED)

I was wanting him to be always be immune to fire.

What if I make his claws do 1D6 instead? Should he have claws and/or a pair of scimitars

So how much flight should he have?

The powers that give him bonuses to his characteristics listed first in powers his due to his size as an Ifrit

17 High Temperature Body: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (26 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)Again, does he have to turn this on and off?

Typically, this would be Persistent, Always On if you want a standard state.

I originally had that power being always on and him take damage from being in water from that power always being on.

I was wanting him to be able to assume the form of any human from 5 feet tall to 7 feet tall but still retain his powers unless I should do OIAID.

Fire- and Smoke-Based Powers

20 Breathe Fire: Blast 5d6 (25 Active Points); Limited Range (-1/4)

40 Body Of Smoke: Desolidification (affected by affected by lightning and wind), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

15 Kindle: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, Sticky (only affects flammables; +1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Indirect (Source Point can vary from use to use, path can change with every use; +1) (19 Active Points); Limited Range (-1/4)

30 Flaming: Teleportation 12m, MegaScale (1m = 100 km; +1 1/2) (30 Active Points)

I know I want the powers listed above to be part of his starting powers.

So I should do 1 1/12 x from the weakness against cold?

So what should his able to breath fire do for damage?

You did not read the Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses. I want him to be detect by magic spells (Detect Ifrit) and other things that detect for an Ifrit/genie unless he is in Ifrit form.

The character is slowly learning his powers as an Ifrit. I have 300 points to spend on the character. I was thinking he wanted to be the most powerful being in the universe. He starts out but slowly turns into a hero.

Okay, let's take a step back. Is this for a game? Did you GM tell you to build a 300 point PC? Did he tell you 300 with 60 points of Complications? Because if he did, you need to lose around 350 points of powers and the like.

I was using 300 point with 150 points for complications.

That's not correct. In 6E, if you have a 300 point PC, then you only need 60 pts of Complications and your character totals 300 points, not 360. A starting super hero is 400 points total, with 75 points of Complications and totals 400 points, not 475. Your 1st draft is 650 points, and needs to lose 250 to 350 points.

Should I get rid of the bonuses he gets from Size: Enormous (character is up to four times human size)?

I would. If this is a Champions character, then I'd make him human sized. It makes things easier in the long run, and few superheroes are 16' tall.

I also suggest starting over, with 400 points as your limit. Keep his powers around 60 Active Points and think first about what it is you're trying to create. Is this a man who has the power to become something akin to an Ifrit via an enchanted lamp? Where did he come from? Who is he? That sort of thing. Then build your powered character from that base.It sounds like this is a Multiform character -- fairly normal human who can transform (like the Hulk, Thor, or Captain Marvel) into a more superpowered form. So you need to keep that in mind.

I was wanting him to be always be immune to fire.

You need to make the Desolid 0 END, Persistent and Always on for that. But first talk to your GM. By the book, he would have to purchase Affects Normal World on all attack powers, a +2 advantage, to use them while desolid. Desolid for invulnerability is often handwaved in that regard. However, some GM's will not handwave, or will simply not allow that invulnerability (and an Affects Desolid fire attack will still affect him). Damage Negation vs fire effects only, bonus defenses vs fire effects only or another model may be used by your GM. You need to discuss with him what powers would be required for your character to be immune to damage from fire, and whether he will even allow such an absolute in his game.

What if I make his claws do 1D6 instead? Should he have claws and/or a pair of scimitars

1d6 bwill mean they do less damage. With an 85 or 95 STR, the character is likely still well above what any GM will allow in a 400 point Campions game. Scimitars will simply make the KA focused for a limitation. Some GM's will also cap your KA at double the KA dice. Again, you need to speak with the GM about his campaign rules. Also, a KA is pretty much useless in combat to take targets alive. In a four colour Supers game, bringing in decaptiated and halved foes is typically frowned upon What does your GM say about campaign tone?

So how much flight should he have?

To move at the same speed as a normal person, 12 meters. To move faster, more. To move slower, less. Do you envision him as slow and plodding, average or a speedster? After deciding that, talk to your GM (are you sensing a trend here?) to determine, in his game, what level of movement is needed to meet your vision in his game. In some, 30 meters may be speedster material. In others, that may be slow and plodding.

The powers that give him bonuses to his characteristics listed first in powers his due to his size as an Ifrit

Make it easy - his STR is the STR he has in his normal form. Splitting it out won't make his final STR any different. More to the point, the GM will not likely allow higher STR because "some comes from being naturally strong for his size and the rest from being large" - the total STR, and total damage, will determine the character's acceptability to most GM's.

I originally had that power being always on and him take damage from being in water from that power always being on.

So is that how you envision the character? If so, build him that way. If not, build what you envision.

I was wanting him to be able to assume the form of any human from 5 feet tall to 7 feet tall but still retain his powers unless I should do OIAID.

Then he is not always Huge, impacting that complication, and he needs an ability to allow him to change his size. That could be the SFX of his Alternate ID (and he is Huge only in that ID), or he could simply have Growth powers. Or a Multiform, one form of which is Huge. Again, you need to decide what you envision - what powers does he have at any size, and in any shape? What powers are restricted to human form? What powers are restricted to Ifrit form? The relation between the two forms will suggest the build. If both have different abilities, Multiform may be best. If changing to Ifrit form adds powers, but no abilities are lost, OIAID may be preferable. If he has all his powers at normal size, just buying Growth may do the trick.

So I should do 1 1/12 x from the weakness against cold?

Once again, it depends on your vision. Should a cold attack generally take him down with one hit? If so, 2x STUN does the trick. Is cold likely to hospitalize or kill him? 2x BOD fits the bill.

So what should his able to breath fire do for damage?

What is the normal range for damage in the campaign? If you envision this as a weak attack, the low end of that range would be reasonable. A powerful attack would be at the high end of the range. In a typical Supers game, I'd say 10 - 12d6 is a pretty typical damage level. 8d6 comes up sometimes, and some games use 14d6 as the top end. You need to know the campaign norms to fit your character in, so (all together now) Talk To Your GM.

You did not read the Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses. I want him to be detect by magic spells (Detect Ifrit) and other things that detect for an Ifrit/genie unless he is in Ifrit form.

This also implies any who detect him will probably seek to destroy or imprison him (and the guys with those senses seem likely to know about the Seal of Solomon, better justifying that complication.

To clarify comments from those above me, in 6e Hero, the normal rule would be 400 points of powers and abilities, and 75 points of complications. That does not allow you to add another 200 points of abilities by adding 200 more complications - you can't have more than 400 points of abilities. If you have less than 75 points of complications, you get less than 400 points to build with. If you have more than 75 points of complications, you get the same 400 points to build with. Except, of course, if your GM adopts a different point base, complication requirement or allows extra complications to generate extra points, so (once more, this time with four part harmony and feeling) Talk To Your GM.

If you are building on spec, I'd build to a standard Supers range of abilities with 400 points, and 75 points of complications.

• 1 month later...

The only reason I am touching this character is because I might not complete the character in the post Energy Being since right thing are not going the way I want them to with that character. Do you know of sites with pictures of the Ifrit?

How would be the best way in the long to give him the ability to become as small as a mouse and tall as a mountain (I mean i want him to be able to become very tall at will). Would be better to get them after i get points to spend on the character after playing him?

How would be the best way in the long to give him the ability to become as small as a mouse and tall as a mountain (I mean i want him to be able to become very tall at will). Would be better to get them after i get points to spend on the character after playing him?

How about Growth and Shrinking?

I'd stat out the character first - if you don't have enough points, these would be powers to save for later.