Velocity Based DCV

azato

AS found in the Ultimate Speedster

Here is what I am thinking....with vehicle based DCV ...would it make sense using it for both Attacker and defender?

So if a chopper is strafing at 80 mph that would make it a DCV of 8. IF it is attacking a target on the ground, the target would be moving at 80mph in relation to the chopper and thus should get the same benefit...no?

I think this will make vehicles more conscious of their speeds. Perhaps giving certain weapons PSL or such when moving (like the tracking system on a modern tank)...and certain weapons would be immune (like guided missiles) THOUGHTS?

Re: Velocity Based DCV

Here is what I am thinking....with vehicle based DCV ...would it make sense using it for both Attacker and defender?

So if a chopper is strafing at 80 mph that would make it a DCV of 8. IF it is attacking a target on the ground, the target would be moving at 80mph in relation to the chopper and thus should get the same benefit...no?

I think this will make vehicles more conscious of their speeds. Perhaps giving certain weapons PSL or such when moving (like the tracking system on a modern tank)...and certain weapons would be immune (like guided missiles) THOUGHTS?

The important part is that this DCV is based on relative Velocity:

When you strafe in circles around your target, your target has difficulty aiming at you, while you do still have a stationary target.

A fly-by would give both side the penalty (trying to hit womprats/that small thermal exhaust port while speeding through a canyon).

A dogfight would give neiter speed based DCV.

Of coruse for strafing your vehicle must support sideways movement or you need sideway weaponry/a door gunner.

Fixed wing aircraft with forward mounted weaponry were strafing ground targets as far back as WWI. I think this "sideways movement" concept is an offshoot of FPS gaming.

It originally means the Fly-By (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing).

But I think the rules concept is equally valid for gunships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunship) and everything else that has sideways movement or sideway weapons (inlcuding sailing ships firing a broadside).

It originally means the Fly-By (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing).

But I think the rules concept is equally valid for gunships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunship) and everything else that has sideways movement or sideway weapons (inlcuding sailing ships firing a broadside).

Oh yeah...looking back at your post in its entirety, I see you did mention the original strafing concept, and were using "strafing" in the last sentence as a shorthand for "strafing in circles". My bad. That's what happens when you focus on one sentence instead of the entire post...

Something else that occurs to me' date=' in re: velocity based DCV...apparent speed is reduced at greater distances. Something moving at X velocity should get less DCV bonus for it at greater distances than at nearer distances. I don't think I've seen any games that account for that.[/quote']

Depends a lot on the angle. Generally hitting a fast moving target at longer range just makes leading the target all the more different.

When we talk your fire line having a 90° angle realtive to your targets movement then I think they should certainly add.

Even when you and your target travel in the same direction in open space, you won't be exaclty at the same course and the speeds involved might be huge. so even that 1° difference makes a lot.

Everything ships that are supposed to fight target at high speed needs the OCV bonus (targetting computer) to do so. Just because modern targetting systems make it look easy, shouldn't mean you get that extra OCv for free.

I'm thinking that angular acceleration is what matters: something coming toward you at 80mph is not moving, it is just getting bigger.

What?

Depends a lot on the angle. Generally hitting a fast moving target at longer range just makes leading the target all the more different.

When we talk your fire line having a 90° angle realtive to your targets movement then I think they should certainly add.

Even when you and your target travel in the same direction in open space, you won't be exaclty at the same course and the speeds involved might be huge. so even that 1° difference makes a lot.

Everything ships that are supposed to fight target at high speed needs the OCV bonus (targetting computer) to do so. Just because modern targetting systems make it look easy, shouldn't mean you get that extra OCv for free.

Dammit, Christopher, I've found a couple of posts recently where I can not help but agree with you. Wholeheartedly.

How on earth are we going to rack up the post count if we go around agreeing with each other?