Limitations Help

winterhawk

I am working on a Golden Age sonics character called Anthem. Two questions for the Learned Panel on limitations for her powers:

She has a PRE Aid when she sings the National Anthem. What would you give 'Only Works On Americans'? She is part of the Defenders Of Justice that stayed behind on the homefront as per Champions cannon, so she will spend most of her time around Americans. I have it at a -1/2. Too High? Too Low?

She has a 'Siren Song' styled Mind Control, which I want to give a 'Target Must Be In Earshot' Limitation. Since 'Requires Eye Contact' is a -1/2, I was thinking more of a -1/4 since sound travels and is indirect. Or maybe Limited Range? Does anyone know how far the human voice can be heard clearly?

Thanks in advance!

Don't know aboaut a learned power, but I'm here.

For the PRE aid, it sounds like it can effect PCs as well as NPC's. Boosting their PRE will make them less vulnerable to PRE attacks, as their morale is higher - I assume this is the intention.

I generally dislike giving fulling disadvantage values to powers that can be used by other PC's. (Examples: teleport, usable on others. Force Field, usable on others. Flight Usable on others.) This is because powers that can be used on PC's have a tendency to be more abused (by who, I have no idea :))

I would make it a 1/4, since it is primarily a homefront campaign. You may also consider doing it as a Change Environment, with the efect "Raises peoples spirits"

For the Siren Sound, I would just buy reduced by range. Not sure if visible would apply, I imagine it will be noisy. I don't think you want her using her sonic mind control in sniper mode.

As an idea, how about a RKA, based around the "Liberty Bell"? :) Only versus inanimate objects (could break guns, windows, and fedoras)

I have to agree with Ghost, 1/4 limitation on the first considering the homefront location and the era's national fervor. Is this meant to be used as her main offense? If not, I might change the wording to patriotic Americans so Black marketeers, fifth coloumnists etc won't just give up despite it being somewhat in character for period comics. Other player want to beat up mooks.

As to the second, reduced by range seems right but i'd look over the hearing modifiers chart on page 230 of the Fifth for some ideas as to how ambient sound effects the power.

For the siren song, I'd say a -1/4 "Does not work on the deaf/those that cannot hear" would be fine.

As far as being sound-based, the "liberal-GM-who-lets-character-concepts-he-likes-get-away-with-more" side of me would probably handle the range issue. Normal mental powers are normally LOS. I'd give the siren song a max range (like 5xpts in inches) but allow some targeting leeway for someone she can't see but KNOWS is there - thug runs into room and slams door, she beckons them out with her mind control. Hardly solidly rules-based, but I try to balance mechanics and special effects at times.