Differences between 5th and 6th ed Champions Universe?

Boll Weevil

I am contemplating my next Hero purchase(s) and need some advice. I have (and love) both the 5th ed Champions Universe and the follow-up News Of the World. I also dislike all the changes to canon I have seen in the post-Cryptic world. I have not read any of the 6th ed Champions Universe. What has changed from 5th to 6th?

Re: Differences between 5th and 6th ed Champions Universe?

Most of the changes between the two has been cosmetic. The biggest change has been in the abilities section - getting rid of the figured abilities and some reworking of certain skills, talents, powers, and changing the name of disadvantages to complications. There will be other more minor alterations but they will be (as stated) mostly be cosmetic in an effort to make the game more realistic or to get a better flow.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear with my question. I know the changes to the rules. I have the Character Creation, Combat and Adventuring and Advanced Player's Guide books. I have moved on to 6th ed for playing and am slowly upgrading all of my characters.

My question is specific to the published game world, the Champions Universe. Is the 6th edition Champions Universe book an addition to or a change from the 5th edition established game history?

It builds on it with a few subtle changes here and there. If you are into settings, it's handy to have but in this case I think, the CU 5th Ed was a better book, and that's BEFORE we get into the cover art and Cryptic-ization of a few things. That being said I did buy it to have on the shelf. I don't use it to level furniture like some other gaming product I could think of.

~Rex

6ed version includes the Alt Universe version of Dr Destroyer (the Dr D on Cryptic's site that looks like an evil Dr Fate). In 6e CU he's called "The Shadow Destroyer" and exists along side techno classic Dr Destroyer (see Book of the Destroyer for more info). There are other changes like that. Grond actually takes his place as CU's Hulk and has his spot out in the desert along with a ton of Grondoid mutates. Hell, just take a look on the Champions Online website for a ton of the lore. Heck play the game a bit you will get a feel for what's going on.

Most of the "alterations" are merely updates and not retcons of the source material. Tyhere are revelations regarding the origins of Mechanon and Captain Chronos; the addition of several new villains, including Professor Paradigm and Alchemica; and the addition of a number of events introduced by Cryptic, like the Qularr invasion and the Blood Moon event.