The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!

Michael Hopcroft

I managed to find another gameable webcomic. The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob! seems to have potential as a setting.

The basic premise is that a mild-mannered newsstand owner in Generictown USA, Bob Smithson has become a true weirdness magnet. Things keep on crashing into his roof, for example. (The lengths he has to go to to get it repaired is a running gag). One of his best friends is an alien queen in a human disguise (her real form is that of a large butterfly-like creature). His newly-minted girlfriend is a genius geneticist. And then there's the result of theirr chance meeting, when his new jar of peanut butter was caught in a collision with her experimental genetic material...

[b]Molly the Peanut Butter Monster - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
10    STR     0   10      11-       HTH Damage 2d6  END [1]
15    DEX     10   15      12-       
15    CON     5   15      12-
13    BODY    3   13      
28    INT     18   28      15-       PER Roll 15-
16    EGO     6   16      12-       
18    PRE     8   18      13-       PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
6    OCV     15   6          
5    DCV     10   5          
4    OMCV     3   4          
8    DMCV     15   8          
10    PD      8   10             10 PD (0 rPD)
8    ED      6   8             8 ED (0 rED)
4    SPD     20   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
18    REC     14   18
38    END     4   38
25    STUN    3   25
12    RUN      0   12m                END [1]
4    SWIM     0   4m                END [1]
4    LEAP     0   4m                4m forward, 2m upward

[b]CHA Cost: 148[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
5      Science Skill:  Engineering 17-
5      Science Skill:  Chemistry 17-
5      Science Skill:  Biology 17-
5      Science Skill:  Physics 17-
4      Language:  German (completely fluent; literate)
4      Language:  French (completely fluent; literate)
4      Language:  Nemesite (completely fluent; literate)
3      Deduction 15-
3      Computer Programming 15-
9      Mechanics 18-
9      Inventor 18-
5      Systems Operation 16-
7      Security Systems 17-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 68[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
5      Eidetic Memory
3      Absolute Time Sense
8      Speed Reading (x1,000)
3      Lightning Calculator

[b]TALENTS Cost: 19[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]COMPLICATIONS[/u][/b]
20     Physical Complication:  Young and Naive (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)
15     Hunted:  Agents Ben and Jerry Very Frequently (Less Pow; Harshly Punish)
20     Physical Complication:  ALWAYS Hungry (Very Frequently; Slightly Impairing)
25     Psychological Complication:  Protects "Dad" and "Mom" (Bob and Jean) (Very Common; Total)
15     Distinctive Features:  Obviously Not a Normal Human (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

[b]COMPLICATIONS Points: 95[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 35
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 235

Molly is quite the character. She is astonishingly naive (being less than a year old, after all), looks like a pink, furry 5'8" dinosaur-like creature with a peppermint-stripey tail, who looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41346[/ATTACH]

She is also a brilliant example of the concept of nurture over nature. She was raised by the considerate, loving Bob and turned out to be bubbly and enthusiastic about life (which can do a lot of damage when combined with her hyper-genius IQ). She has a "sister" in the form of another Peanut Butter Monster named Galatea. "Golly" was raised as a despised lab experiment and she turned out to be a ruthless megalomaniac.

You can see an amusing bit of errata here.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!

Howdy! I'm Jim Cleaveland, the author of "The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!" I discovered your post through my stat tracker that showed some visitors coming from this site. This is neat! Thanks for making up stats for Molly!

I'm not familiar with this particular RPG system, but by all means, if you'd like any additional help or information on my characters or their world, please let me know. I'd love to have people role-playing my characters.

-----

http://bobadventures.comicgenesis.com

"Zounds and jeepers!"

Howdy! I'm Jim Cleaveland, the author of "The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!" I discovered your post through my stat tracker that showed some visitors coming from this site. This is neat! Thanks for making up stats for Molly!

I'm not familiar with this particular RPG system, but by all means, if you'd like any additional help or information on my characters or their world, please let me know. I'd love to have people role-playing my characters.

Welcome to the world of the Hero System. The system where a clever enough player can build just about anything. It makes a terrible cup of coffee, though.

A terrible cup of coffee: Succor 0 1/2d6' date=' END, STUN simultaneously (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (6 Active Points); OAF (Supplies and equipment (coffee, coffeepot, water, etc.); -1), Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, Unless it's instant, but that tastes even worse....; -1), Gradual Effect (1 Minute after drinking coffee; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Tastes awful, everyone hates it.; -1/2), 6 Recoverable Charges (Can only brew 6 cups at a time.; -1/4) Real Cost: 1[/quote']

Molly is only the beginning. I'm looking at writing up Voluptua as well, before going to Bob and Jean themselves. The actual Molly writeup was more flavorful than what was conveyed in the posting code because that code doesn't include the descriptive labels that help describe what the character can do in typical writeups. Jim, I can send you the full character sheet if you like exported to a PDF file. Many of use Hero Designer, a Java application sold by the publishers, to do the math and write up their characters, and it exports them into a number of different file formats and displays.

Ironically, the next Hero book in the Kickstarter program is about a character with some slight similarities to Voluptua, though less tolerant....

Howdy! I'm Jim Cleaveland' date=' the author of "The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!" I discovered your post through my stat tracker that showed some visitors coming from this site. This is neat! Thanks for making up stats for Molly![/quote']

After I saw the link, I started at the beginning and read through in 3 days. I can't wait to see how Ninjas, Ninjas, Ninjas unfolds!

A few questions on the Voluptua writeup that maybe someone can help me with: the way I ready it Voluptua's "human" form is only illusory. Her real body is fragile in comparison, and it is what you would strike were you to hit her. The question I have is would the Voluptua still look human were she to be drugged, asleep or unconscious. That would help me determine whether it's Mental Illusions (Self-Only) or something else.

(For Jim's benefit, Mental Illusions is the power to make people see things as something different than what they are. It's usually purely mental, although you can achieve the same effect chemically or holographically -- I suspect holography is what Voluptua uses because she's a high-tech kind of gal. The more dice in it you have the more convincing the illusion is. Voluptua's disguise is very convincing, even giving the appearance of being able to touch the human form. Well, it would probably even more convincing were it not for the proportions thing, but that's a different Complication.)

Sure, you can send that. Do you need my actual email address? It's posted at the bottom of the comic page if you need it.

I'd figure my two cents with Voluptua, if you want them, is that (in D&D terms) she has very high intelligence, wisdom, and charisma, and enormous resources; but as a Nemesite she is physically very fragile, and she does not have Riboflavin's fighting skills to compensate for that physical vulnerability--and making herself look human does not actually make her any more durable. The shapeshifting is done via a gizmo, it is not an inherent ability. And, of course, in her natural form she can fly. (I hope that was helpful and not intrusive).

Thanks again! I'm really stoked that you're doing this and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Sure, you can send that. Do you need my actual email address? It's posted at the bottom of the comic page if you need it.

I'd figure my two cents with Voluptua, if you want them, is that (in D&D terms) she has very high intelligence, wisdom, and charisma, and enormous resources; but as a Nemesite she is physically very fragile, and she does not have Riboflavin's fighting skills to compensate for that physical vulnerability--and making herself look human does not actually make her any more durable. The shapeshifting is done via a gizmo, it is not an inherent ability. And, of course, in her natural form she can fly. (I hope that was helpful and not intrusive).

Thanks again! I'm really stoked that you're doing this and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

It's very helpful. SOunds like it's still Mental Illusions, with a Focus (the holographic device), a minor Advantage (works while asleep or unconscious, or until she decides to turn it off).

I'll send you an RTF sheet for Molly. Hero/Champions uses a different set of assumptions than D&D, but shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

[

I'll send you an RTF sheet for Molly. Hero/Champions uses a different set of assumptions than D&D' date=' but shouldn't be that difficult to understand.[/quote]

Hi, I looked over the RTF sheet. It's very cool! And I'm glad you included her speed.

I don't recall ever mentioning that she had absolute time sense, though. If I did, could you let me know where? Maybe I did and then forgot.

It's very helpful. SOunds like it's still Mental Illusions' date=' with a Focus (the holographic device), a minor Advantage (works while asleep or unconscious, or until she decides to turn it off).[/quote']

Well strictly speaking it's not a hologram (unlike Golly's holographic beret)--Voluptua literally does change shape, so as a human she has no wings and can't fly.

I feel a little funny describing it here because I've never given the mechanics of it in the strip yet (so its status as canon feels nebulous to me until I've done that), and this is probably more detail than you need anyway, but: a shape-shifter unit is basically a portable version of the space curvature manipulating tech that makes the bigger-inside-than-outside buildings possible. It creates an envelope of distorted spacetime around the wearer, which can be shaped however you program it, but inside that envelope, your real anatomy is unchanged. The first time Bob saw Riboflavin in human form, he wondered how he could be in space without a spacesuit; when Riboflavin dropped the disguise, we saw he WAS wearing a spacesuit, but he and it had been tucked inside a dude-shaped envelope of distorted spacetime. (I'd figure the TARDIS's chameleon circuit on Dr. Who works kinda like this.) As with the buildings, the disguise can be smaller than the wearer, so you can turn into a midget, or in Volly's case, conceal your enormous wings inside it. (And as long as your disguise's mouth tracks roughly onto your real real mouth, you can eat and breathe okay.)

Aaaanyway, so using it does not boost her armor class, hit dice, con, or strength (pardon the D&D-isms).

Oh, and I just realized, I suppose her DEX would be higher in Nemesite form, because she has two extra arms.

Sorry for being so longwinded!

A few questions on the Voluptua writeup that maybe someone can help me with: the way I ready it Voluptua's "human" form is only illusory. Her real body is fragile in comparison, and it is what you would strike were you to hit her. The question I have is would the Voluptua still look human were she to be drugged, asleep or unconscious. That would help me determine whether it's Mental Illusions (Self-Only) or something else.

(For Jim's benefit, Mental Illusions is the power to make people see things as something different than what they are. It's usually purely mental, although you can achieve the same effect chemically or holographically -- I suspect holography is what Voluptua uses because she's a high-tech kind of gal. The more dice in it you have the more convincing the illusion is. Voluptua's disguise is very convincing, even giving the appearance of being able to touch the human form. Well, it would probably even more convincing were it not for the proportions thing, but that's a different Complication.)

Ah, I see you posted again while I was writing my response to your other post. Yep, as should be clear from my description in the other post, the disguise stays in place until she turns the gizmo off.

(Hm, I just realized, I did show her human form taking her boots and gloves off once. Well, I guess she can wear actual clothing over the disguise if she wants to.)

A detail I just thought of: I suppose that using a shape-shifting unit to change your size would affect your DEX and speed.

Turning into a midget would make your movements slower, and turning into a tall person would make your movements faster, because the outer envelope is tracking itself to your real body's movements. This is why the CG version of the Incredible Hulk in the first "Hulk" movie seems so weirdly frenetic in his movements--director Ang Lee insisted on doing the motion-capture acting himself, and he's only 5'7", so his normal movements looked weirdly fast on the giant CG character.

That's not really relevant to Voluptua, since her height stays about the same in both forms, but it's something to bear in mind for how the machine works.

Turning yourself into a giant might also put you in significant danger of blowing away in a strong breeze. :)

-----

http://bobadventures.comicgenesis.com

"Zounds and jeepers!"

And Lo! Bob was There Too!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary defines ubiquity as "The Power to Be There Too"

Don't fight' date=' kids! There's enough terrible coffee for both of you![/quote']

There's enough for 6, assuming we find that many people who want terrible coffee.

We should invite Ghost Angel over for some coffee. It's really his as much as mine.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary recovers another 6 charges, I mean, puts on another pot.

Howdy! I'm Jim Cleaveland' date=' the author of "The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!" I discovered your post through my stat tracker that showed some visitors coming from this site. This is neat! [/quote']

Hi and welcome, glad you're here.

I'm one of those who followed the link, and I was greatly enjoying the strip, right up to 1/7/09 strip.

Spoilered for those who have not read the strip, click where it says "show spoiler" to read the rest.

Molly, who up to that point has seemed to be sensitve and intelligent, decides to stand up Rocko, who she describes as nice, because he's "grody." I understand they had very different expectations for the relationship, there has been an implied off-screen explanation and apology, and they are still friends. But I lost a lot of the forward momentum of the story at that point.

It's your story, tell it as you wish, I just wanted to offer the observation that this reader found that to be a "spped bump."

Hey' date=' I wanted to apologize for dumping all that technobabble gobbledygook on you. I certainly hope I wasn't intruding on your project.[/quote']

You're not intruding at all. I'm used to technobabble. I haven't finished Voluptua yet because I'm trying to figure out how to represent the distinction between her illusory form and her "real" one. Since it's a device, it probably ought to be a Focus (and there I drop a bit of my own technobabble in the form of Hero jargon -- basically a focus is something you have to have in your possession is you are going to use a power or other ability. A ray gun is a Focus to a ranged attack, for example. You get a cost break for using a Focus with the price being that if someone takes the Focus away you lose the power until you get it back or build/find a new one.)

I think someone should bite the bullet and buy Jim a copy of the Hero System Basic Rulebook (it wouldn't be fair to make him pay for it) to help him learn this wonderful new language.

Howdy! Well, I'm glad you liked the beginning, at least. As for

Molly's bad behavior... I've made an earnest effort to make my characters three dimensional without falling into the trap of "Cerebus Syndrome" (when a humor comic starts to take itself too seriously). And in the name of realism, I'm afraid I have far too often observed that otherwise decent, kind people will act like shockingly thoughtless jerks when courting one another. This is true of mature adults who should know better, let alone a naive young kid like Molly. (The usual rationalization they feed themselves is that standing someone up is kinder than "rejecting them" by properly canceling the date, when in fact the real reason they don't call is simple cowardice.) Molly is quite immature, so I don't think it's at all surprising that she chickened out, or that she handled it badly. Oddly, getting stood up is a fairly common bit of human jerkishness that I don't recall seeing addressed much in popular fiction (at least not where the reader gets to see both sides of it), so decided to write about it.

(Btw, I have to admit I agree with Bob and Jean that Rocko is simply too old for her; but I don't think that excuses her for not at least letting him know she was canceling.)

Aaaanyway, if you read ahead to the end of that story, (spoiler), you'll see that she does get called out on it and scolded a little bit.

So, I hope that explains my thinking on the matter, and I hope you like the rest of the comic better. Thanks for the feedback!

• 1 month later...