Monster Hunter International

Ndreare

Anyone read the MHI books? Man these things scream HERO to me. A perfect opportunity to use the bestiary to its full capacity.

Have any of you tried urban fantasy and had the adventures last? Mine normally fail after a couple months, but MHI seams like it could go for long term.

Re: Monster Hunter International

I read the first one recently -- a friend of mine who works at Baen thought I'd like 'em and sent them to me (along with some of Correia's pulp-era novels). She was right; I've enjoyed what I've read of both series so far.

I could definitely see MHI as a gaming setting. My friend tells me the author is in fact a gamer to some extent, so perhaps some of that "perspective" leaks through into his fiction.

Yeah, big fan. The author's Grimnoir series is also fun, and the stand alone novel Dead Six was good too.

Here There Be Monsters is a combination of ideas I developed for an older work I did for Haymaker long ago called Demon Hunter: FBI, collaborative input from the people that participated in developing HtbM, and concepts inspired by Monster Hunter International. It's not an adaptation of MHI, but I was careful to make it very easy to play a MHI style game using the material, and to add in any very specific things from MHI that aren't provided if an GM wanted to do so.

Yeah, big fan. The author's Grimnoir series is also fun, and the stand alone novel Dead Six was good too.

Here There Be Monsters is a combination of ideas I developed for an older work I did for Haymaker long ago called Demon Hunter: FBI, collaborative input from the people that participated in developing HtbM, and concepts inspired by Monster Hunter International. It's not an adaptation of MHI, but I was careful to make it very easy to play a MHI style game using the material, and to add in any very specific things from MHI that aren't provided if an GM wanted to do so.

I really like what you have done there. i was looking at it after you posted it on the other thread was part of what got me thinking about MHI.

We've run two campaigns (and have a third in the planning stages) of Shadows Angelus (http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/worldbooks.html). Super-powered cops versus the supernatural. Great fun was had by all.

I have seen your post before, but this is the first time I have gone to your web site. Nice job, but much like Killer shrikes I think it will take me a while to navigate all of it.

I like the series so far

It is not quite up to par with the Dresden files books

but up there with the Laundry series by Charles Stross for stuff I like

Anyone read the MHI books? Man these things scream HERO to me. A perfect opportunity to use the bestiary to its full capacity.

Have any of you tried urban fantasy and had the adventures last? Mine normally fail after a couple months, but MHI seams like it could go for long term.

I like the series so far

It is not quite up par with the Dresden files books

but up there with the Laundry series by Charles Stross for stuff I like

For me its the other way around. I find the Dresden books to be mildly entertaining when I can overlook the angst and kewlness, but I find the MHI book thrilling, compelling, gripping, and laugh-out-loud funny.

The black comedy reminds me of my military days. Larry really captures the same kind of hard eged, straight faced situational / absurdist dark humor I enjoyed back in the day.

I really like what you have done there. i was looking at it after you posted it on the other thread was part of what got me thinking about MHI.

Thanks; if you find yourself moved to develop some material, Here There Be Monsters is a collaborative effort...you can always submit material and characters for possible inclusion.