Killiing a lot of zombies from a safe position.

Trencher

Re: Killiing a lot of zombies from a safe position.

Have you ever played Rebuild? It's decently inspirational for what happens after running-for-your-life and before civilization-is-reborn.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild

The sequel has more stuff in it, if you haven't played...

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2?acomplete=rebuild2

With my new rules popping zombies with sniper rifle is done in one roll and we can go right on to the rebuilding roleplaying part. Very fun for people who like strategy games like civ and stuff. Roleplaying, task management getting and losing allies, lots of stuff to do after the zombies are (for now) cleared out.

I am planning for a long term game and the main enemy is going to be the traitor general and his evil soldiers which is the reason the millitary did not manage stop the zombie plauge in the first place. Off course the bad guys have understimated the zombie plauge too so in the end the hordes of hungry dead might be the final victor.

Sounds cool. I think having another opponent works out better for long term campaigns with zombies as a hazard to be dealt with like bad weather. I actually don't have a problem with ideas like sniping them from high positions. But's not a foolproof idea. And the implication that having a reasonable consequence such as the gunfire drawing more creatures or having the creatures change of develop was GM wanking to keep their pet monsters alive didn't seem warranted.

Sounds cool. I think having another opponent works out better for long term campaigns with zombies as a hazard to be dealt with like bad weather. I actually don't have a problem with ideas like sniping them from high positions. But's not a foolproof idea. And the implication that having a reasonable consequence such as the gunfire drawing more creatures or having the creatures change of develop was GM wanking to keep their pet monsters alive didn't seem warranted.

That's fair enough. Zombies appear to have no fight-or-flight instinct; they just fight/attack prey, or wander around aimlessly. But if they have even rudimentary instincts available to them, they might learn to run and/or hide when they hear gunshots, or see a human pointing a gun at them. Of course, once they start capturing humans, fencing them in, providing them with food and periodically "harvesting" them, you get into a decidedly different campaign. :eg:

That's fair enough. Zombies appear to have no fight-or-flight instinct; they just fight/attack prey' date=' or wander around aimlessly. But if they have even rudimentary instincts available to them, they might learn to run and/or hide when they hear gunshots, or see a human pointing a gun at them. Of course, once they start capturing humans, fencing them in, providing them with food and periodically "harvesting" them, you get into a decidedly different campaign. [/quote']

Well, the Walkers are depicted as being drawn to noise and movement in The Walking Dead. Romero's Shamblers are as well or drawn to light or places that held significance for them in life or they're remember have prey. They even use basic tools and know that windows and doors are weak points. So it depends on the creatures, IMO. And I think the suggestion was mainly that more of them would/might show up and swarm the sniper so they'd better be secure with either supplies for the very long haul (including something to distract/keep them sane) or have a solid means of getting up to resupply or escape.

In fairness though, I probably reacted more to an the GM is the enemy vibe I picked up from some of the responses. I find its a pretty toxic way to look at gaming and, unfortunately, seems to be becoming more and more wide spread to the point that its become a part of game design in some cases. Though, yes, some GMs can be self focused jerks out to glory in their own alleged power and screw their players over. It can be a very line and practically invisible from the player's side of the screen.

Well, I have seen zombie fans (who as far as I know were not gamers) who seemed to relish the idea that a zombie outbreak was inescapable. I don't remember if this came from a movie or was their own twisted creation, but I remember them being absolutely gleeful at the idea of a pile of zombies being a vector for zombieism, and burning them would only make it airborne. With a GM like that, I don't see the point in playing.

Well' date=' I have seen zombie fans (who as far as I know were not gamers) who seemed to relish the idea that a zombie outbreak was inescapable. I don't remember if this came from a movie or was their own twisted creation, but I remember them being absolutely gleeful at the idea of a pile of zombies being a vector for zombieism, and burning them would only make it airborne. With a GM like that, I don't see the point in playing.[/quote']

There is definitely a segment of the zombie fiction fan base that is very enamored with the idea that any outbreak would be the end of civilization.

Edit: More disturbing is the section of the fandom that seems to actively look forward to the ZA. The ones that seem to think it will be much needed shot of chlorine in the gene pool or something and, of course, they're one of the superior specimens that will survive when all the "stupid and weak" people are eaten.

The sequel has more stuff in it, if you haven't played...

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2?acomplete=rebuild2'>http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2?acomplete=rebuild2

Have you ever played Rebuild? It's decently inspirational for what happens after running-for-your-life and before civilization-is-reborn.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild

Thanks men, that is a good game allthough I would prefer a more serious style of graphics.

I finished both games and had a great time.

The zombies needs to be able to be defeated in my oppnion its not even a question in my campaing. I think the whole everybody dies mentality is popular with young people who just understood that they themselves are going to die one day so they get a bit hung up on it. Just now I actually have bit of problems with my players they are so intent on running off into the woods and survive of the land by themselves, so that my "preserve civilization in the face in barbarity" themed plot-railroad is in danger of going of it tracks.

If this continue I will have to do a time skip and think about how the diffrent factions have fared in the zombie apocalypse. Sadly and boringly most of them will be dead.. Oh well that will give lots of room for exploration adventures atleast.

For me, the fun of a zombies campaign would be in the engineering aspect of it, of practically confronting the problem and coming up with solutions.

Case in point: Sniping a bunch of zombies.

Take the time to lay your groundwork, prepare. Find a good area. Either a really secure place that you can hunker down in for a week or so after you kill a couple hundred of zombies... or secure the lower floors of a three or four story building, and the same for the buildings adjacent to it. Build bridges connecting the roofs of those buildings (bonus points if you can easily raise or lower them), and after you take your shots calmly exit the area by traveling across roof tops to you safe zone.