"Everyman" Magic?

Surgo

So, here's an idea for a somewhat higher-powered fantasy campaign that I was wondering if anyone tried before: Everyman Magic. The idea is simple: if it's easy/sensible to scale it, take your campaign's magic system and give it, in some small or medium scale, for free, to each PC. Not necessarily every character, just each PC. Then PCs then differentiate themselves with the rest of their character points: if they want to be very magic focused they can spend a lot improving themselves in that system, or they can buy combat abilities, or pretty much whatever in terms of independent powers.

I imagine it would, obviously, work best with a magic system that was somehow limited in producible effect. Maybe it's "only known spells" (Harry Potter style, with a power framework and free known spells) or everyone has to specialize somehow (one guy's a healer, the other does fun things with necromancy, etc.) Then, if one player wanted to be a super-awesome mage, there would need to be a straightforward way to scale up their power (control cost of a VPP, for example).

Has anyone tried to do something like this, and how well did it work? I could see it as a way to give everyone a very broad base of horizontal abilities, with their real vertical abilities being what they spent a lot of actual character points on. Just an idea, which will maybe make its way into my next campaign.

Re: "Everyman" Magic?

Way back I thought of a campaign based off the old Visionaries comic book/cartoon. Each character/PC would have some version of Multiform for their "animal" form, but since the comic book and cartoon were short lived it never got off the ground.