Dealing Additional Damge to Creatures due to a Weapon's Material

BhelliomRahl

Good day.

Was thinking of run a Dark Fantasy game along the lines of 'The Witcher'. Was wondering what people thought was the best way to handle the Silver Sword.

The Silver Sword does additional damage to monsters.

I initially used the Talent: Deadly Blow - Monster Slaying with Limitation OAF - Silver Sword.

The other option was to Link a Killing Attack to Sword Attacks with the Limitations: OAF - Silver Sword and Conditional Power - Only against Monsters.

But on second thought would giving all monsters Vulnerablilty - Silver be more appropiate.

What are peoples opinions?

Re: Dealing Additional Damge to Creatures due to a Weapon's Material

If the sword does more damage because it's made of silver, that sounds like a Vulnerability. If it does it because it is "The Silver Sword", i.e. the power derives from something beyond just the material and thus more unique, I'd make it a KA.

Deadly Blow seems to do it via CSL, so that might run into damage doubling limitations, which doesn't seem as appropriate.

It seems more like a Campaign Rule/Everymonster Vulnerability.

The extra Damage does not come from teh sword, it coems from the Mosnters beign vulnerable.

Another option is to Limit (a part) of the Monsters defenses to "Not vs. Silver". With that you could buy higher defense (for the same poitns).

For example, Vampires are so dangerous because they have high defenses. But those high defenses are (in part) bought by taking a Limitations on the defenses.

15 rPD, Cost Endruance to maintain is the same Price as 10 rPD.

It seems more like a Campaign Rule/Everymonster Vulnerability

Would this be a limitation, if every monster was effected by Silver in the same manner? Or would it just be a rule that monsters suffered x2 Body to Silver. I would say its a limitation as silver increases the damage above normal. i.e a steel sword does 5 body but a silver sword would do 10 body.

Of course a silver sword deals less damage to non-monsters. This is a computer game mechanic for using 2 weapons. I was wondering if a steel sword forged with silver in it would normally do less damage than a purely steel sword? If this is the case how best to represent it in the game. As I will prebuild the weapon I would just reduce the damage or build a limitation into silver swords of some sort.

Thoughts on this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The extra Damage does not come from teh sword' date=' it coems from the Mosnters beign vulnerable.[/quote']

Yes, its a aspect of the monsters that they are vulnerable to silver not a special quality of the sword.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another option is to Limit (a part) of the Monsters defenses to "Not vs. Silver". With that you could buy higher defense (for the same poitns).

For example, Vampires are so dangerous because they have high defenses. But those high defenses are (in part) bought by taking a Limitations on the defenses.

15 rPD, Cost Endruance to maintain is the same Price as 10 rPD.

This might be a better way to handle it. Would represent that a monster can be hurt by a non-silver weapon but takes a lot more effort, where as the silver sword bypasses these defenses.

What I need to decide is why does silver do extra damage to monsters. Its possible that it could effect them if it comes into skin contact with them. Opens up new methods of attack (Silver Dust Bombs). This would have to be done as a susceptability to Silver, Skin contact, per Phase, 1d6 damage. This would also mean that any attack with a silver sword would do an additional 1d6 damage with no defense.

Would this be a limitation' date=' if every monster was effected by Silver in the same manner? Or would it just be a rule that monsters suffered x2 Body to Silver. I would say its a limitation as silver increases the damage above normal. i.e a steel sword does 5 body but a silver sword would do 10 body.[/quote']

It would be a rule that every monster has a Vulnerability to Silver. Or a succeptibility. They may or may not recieve a Complciation Points for it.

One way to let Silver Swords do less damage by default, would be to say that "Silver Weapon" is a +1/4 Advantage (that affects DC calculation) but that the overall DC can't increase.

A 10 DC Weapon (3d6+1 KA without Advantage) would only do 2.5d6 KA with the Advantage (of course you have to keep other advantages in mind, especially Increased Stun).

Monster Vulnerability. It is what it is. I know there are a bazillion ways to write things up in HERO, but some things are just simply so simple, writing them up another way is just a waste of time.

Even if a lot of monsters have a vulnerability to silver, normal creatures and humans and whatnot should not. Thus, adding the damage to the weapon itself isn't an accurate representation of that weapon, not without a complicated build.

Just put Vulnerability X1.5 or x2 Body from Silver Weapons on most monsters and you are done.

Of course, silver weapons will cost an A-load of money, so they shouldn't be too common. Magical silver weapons even moreso...