Perils of the warp!!!

I'm adding The Warp (from Warhammer Games) as a universal foil to The Force in my Star Hero game (Nemesis Squadron - see sig)

Can anyone help me define the following "perils" in terms of Hero System 6th Edition powers to be used as side effects? Any help would be awesome!!!

The Gibbering - Uncontrolled warp energy surges through the psyker’s mind, burning out their minds and driving them insane.

Warp Burn - The energies of the warp manifest, striking the psyker’s mind and stunning him temporarily.

Psychic Concussion - The violent energies knock the psyker unconsious and cascade outwards, also stunning those nearby.

Psy-Blast - There is a sudden explosion, casting the psyker several metres into the air.

Soul Sear - The psyker’s soul is overpowered by warp energy, scarring their spirit and preventing them from using their powers.

Locked In - The excess energy remains in the psyker’s mind, locking them into a coma until it is overcome by sheer willpower.

Chronological Incontinence - The psyker vanishes as time bends around them, they reappear a few moments later.

Psychic Mirror - The psychic power targets the psyker himself.

Warp Whispers - The voices of daemons fill the area, speaking into the minds of others and corrupting their souls.

Vice Versa - The soul of the psyker is cast out and swaps bodies with a nearby being for a short period of time, if there is no nearby other, the soul wanders the warp for the same period and returns slightly less sane.

Dark Summoning - A lesser daemon physically manifests for a short period.

Ethereal Storm - The excess psychic energy lashes the minds of nearby sentient creatures.

Blood Rain - A cloud of psychic energy envelops the area, causing storm winds and rain of blood. While this storm is in effect, any psychic powers in the area always cause perils of the warp

Cataclysmic Blast - The psyker is immolated with psychic energy, burning their possessions, equipment and the area around them for a few metres.

Mass Possession - Daemons reach into the minds of all living creatures over a large area for a period. Sentient individuals must spend their time mentally combating the daemonic influence or they fall to corruption.

The Surly Bonds of Earth - much like the Falling Upwards phenomena, however gravity is reversed over a much larger area for much longer. Lifting objects much higher into the air.

Re: Perils of the warp!!!

I'm adding The Warp (from Warhammer Games) as a universal foil to The Force in my Star Hero game (Nemesis Squadron - see sig)

Can anyone help me define the following "perils" in terms of Hero System 6th Edition powers to be used as side effects? Any help would be awesome!!!

The Gibbering - Uncontrolled warp energy surges through the psyker’s mind, burning out their minds and driving them insane.

Depends how you define "insane". A Transform to add Pyschological Compliactions perhaps?

Warp Burn - The energies of the warp manifest' date=' striking the psyker’s mind and stunning him temporarily.[/quote']

Stun damage, NND (not being a Psyker).

Psychic Concussion - The violent energies knock the psyker unconsious and cascade outwards' date=' also stunning those nearby.[/quote']

Stun damage, Area of Effect

Psy-Blast - There is a sudden explosion' date=' casting the psyker several metres into the air.[/quote']

Telekinesis, Uncontrolled

Soul Sear - The psyker’s soul is overpowered by warp energy' date=' scarring their spirit and preventing them from using their powers.[/quote']

Sever Transform: Psyker into non-Psyker

Locked In - The excess energy remains in the psyker’s mind' date=' locking them into a coma until it is overcome by sheer willpower.[/quote']

Severe Transform into coamtose being (similar to "Transform to Stone" Transform example). Healed by making a EGO Roll.

Maybe a EGO+30 Mind Controll effect instead (gives you a baseline for the EGO roll penality; allows other psykers to help him).

Chronological Incontinence - The psyker vanishes as time bends around them' date=' they reappear a few moments later.[/quote']

Either EDM (to future time), UAA.

or (since im not a fan of the above)

Severe Transform, heals fast (similar to how "Turn to Stone" prevents a character from acting, this one does as well).

Psychic Mirror - The psychic power targets the psyker himself.

I would think similar to how Soul-Sear works. In effect he can't use his powers either way (unless he finds a good reason to fry his own mind).

Warp Whispers - The voices of daemons fill the area' date=' speaking into the minds of others and corrupting their souls.[/quote']

How does corruption work in your game?

Vice Versa - The soul of the psyker is cast out and swaps bodies with a nearby being for a short period of time' date=' if there is no nearby other, the soul wanders the warp for the same period and returns slightly less sane.[/quote']

Possession (APG I), Mind Transfer.

Or one of the variants of "Astral Form" (Duplication version; or APG I's Desolidification, Projection)

Dark Summoning - A lesser daemon physically manifests for a short period.

Summon, Time Limit (variable duration based on Flat Roll; see "varying the duration" for time limit)

Ethereal Storm - The excess psychic energy lashes the minds of nearby sentient creatures.

Some sort of Mental Blast, AoE?

Blood Rain - A cloud of psychic energy envelops the area' date=' causing storm winds and rain of blood. While this storm is in effect, any psychic powers in the area always cause perils of the warp[/quote']

Normally a Transform that applies Limitations or Complciations

APG I 82 has rules for Change Environment to apply Limitations or Complications with the right special effect. For example a "Extra Endurance Cost" Limitation for Fire powers based on "making it rain". Or "Vulnerability to Electricity" based on "making it rain (thus making clothig nwet/conductive).

Cataclysmic Blast - The psyker is immolated with psychic energy' date=' burning their possessions, equipment and the area around them for a few metres.[/quote']

KA, Area of Effect.

Mass Possession - Daemons reach into the minds of all living creatures over a large area for a period. Sentient individuals must spend their time mentally combating the daemonic influence or they fall to corruption.

that sounds like you Roleplay it out rather than Rollplay.

The Surly Bonds of Earth - much like the Falling Upwards phenomena' date=' however gravity is reversed over a much larger area for much longer. Lifting objects much higher into the air.[/quote']

Change Environment, Area of Effect. +10 Telekintiks Strenght inverse to center of gravity (you counter the 5 STR of gravity and create a "updward" gravity)

I can help! Seriously. Shoot me an email or gimme a call or I can post here whichever works no biggie.... Piece of Cake if you got the base scale already.

~Rex

Thanks Rex!!!

I need 75-point powers to use as rare side effects that appear when a character fails to contain the chaotic powers of The Warp as the reasoning behind psychic powers. Post them here, that way we can keep up a running conversation and get input from others (which is never a bad thing). :)

Depends how you define "insane". A Transform to add Pyschological Compliactions perhaps?

Stun damage, NND (not being a Psyker).

Stun damage, Area of Effect

Telekinesis, Uncontrolled

Sever Transform: Psyker into non-Psyker

Severe Transform into coamtose being (similar to "Transform to Stone" Transform example). Healed by making a EGO Roll.

Maybe a EGO+30 Mind Controll effect instead (gives you a baseline for the EGO roll penality; allows other psykers to help him).

Either EDM (to future time), UAA.

or (since im not a fan of the above)

Severe Transform, heals fast (similar to how "Turn to Stone" prevents a character from acting, this one does as well).

I would think similar to how Soul-Sear works. In effect he can't use his powers either way (unless he finds a good reason to fry his own mind).

How does corruption work in your game?

Possession (APG I), Mind Transfer.

Or one of the variants of "Astral Form" (Duplication version; or APG I's Desolidification, Projection)

Summon, Time Limit (variable duration based on Flat Roll; see "varying the duration" for time limit)

Some sort of Mental Blast, AoE?

Normally a Transform that applies Limitations or Complciations

APG I 82 has rules for Change Environment to apply Limitations or Complications with the right special effect. For example a "Extra Endurance Cost" Limitation for Fire powers based on "making it rain". Or "Vulnerability to Electricity" based on "making it rain (thus making clothig nwet/conductive).

KA, Area of Effect.

that sounds like you Roleplay it out rather than Rollplay.

Change Environment, Area of Effect. +10 Telekintiks Strenght inverse to center of gravity (you counter the 5 STR of gravity and create a "updward" gravity)

Thanks!!!

I forget who it was who did it, but some years ago here on the boards one of the members

started a "Force Powers" thread, in which ideas for abilities and powers of the Force were

sought. My own contribution to the thread was a Dark Side power that appeared in Timothy

Zahn's first Star Wars trilogy: Distort Perception. Luke Skywalker used this power to distort

the perceptions of TIE fighter pilots during one of the space battles in the book, without

realizing that it was a Dark Side power; once he did, however, he refused to use it from that

time onward.

Sounds like something that would make a good power of the Warp (:eg:).

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Slightly of topic, but why would altering someone's PER be a darkside power? Light Jedi use the "Jedi mind trick" which is basically mind control that to some degree deprives the target of free will, but messing with their vision is a dark power?

Thanks Rex!!!

I need 75-point powers to use as rare side effects that appear when a character fails to contain the chaotic powers of The Warp as the reasoning behind psychic powers. Post them here, that way we can keep up a running conversation and get input from others (which is never a bad thing). :)

You want them sort of To Scale with say, the 40K set up or scaled to something akin to the SF level Esper stuff in various Hero Products?

~Rex

You want them sort of To Scale with say, the 40K set up or scaled to something akin to the SF level Esper stuff in various Hero Products?

~Rex

I'm using Terran Empire as a base, but they should be about equal to Star Wars Force Powers.

Slightly of topic' date=' but why would altering someone's PER be a darkside power? Light Jedi use the "Jedi mind trick" which is basically mind control that to some degree deprives the target of free will, but messing with their vision is a dark power?[/quote']

My understanding of the "Jedi mind trick" that you're referring to is that it's basically a Force-

enhanced hypnotic suggestion (one which persuades the person being subjected to it to be-

lieve what he or she is being told by the Jedi), while the power that Luke used in the story was

a deliberate distortion of the minds of his enemies' ability to percieve what their eyes were re-

laying to their brains. There was also the description in the story about Luke's reaction to what

he was doing, about how it felt as though he was treading upon an area where Jedi weren't

supposed to go.

The other thing about the "Jedi mind trick" is that it was never used to make the target do things

that would be inherently harmful to it, whereas the Distort Perception power could be used to, say,

cause an enemy pilot to fly at full thrust into an asteroid because his altered perception was tell-

ing him that there was open space in all directions around him.

Reason enough, I'd say, for Distort Perception to be flagged as a power of the Dark Side...

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

~Rex

I'm using Terran Empire as a base, but they should be about equal to Star Wars Force Powers.

All Warp side effects should be around (but not higher than) 75 active points... Real Cost really doesn't matter.

Any thoughts yet? I appreciate any power building help you can provide!!! :)

• 1 month later...

I've gotten some foundation stuff done for it but haven't really had the time to do much more this week or the last couple. Extra Hot at the Job makes everything else go that much slower after a full shift plus in a 120 plus. Methinks I should spend some XP on Life Support.....

It's rolling though just slower then I want it to. Should have some postable stuff soon.

~Rex