Hand-to-Hand Limitation Question

quozaxx

Re: Hand-to-Hand Limitation Question

Yeah, the problem with raising STR's cost is mostly TK. While TK might be underpriced it's not as much so as Strength is and becomes too expensive to be worth buying if you raise its cost to match strength.

The only way I've thought of to fix it is to give it a tiered pricing structure like Clinging. A base cost for having TK at all, and then the ability to raise the STR of your TK for x number of points. I haven't yet managed to nail down the appropriate costs though, and then you still have to recalculate growth's cost using the new cost of raw STR.

I still try to work out a good pricing scheme every now and then, but I decided it was too much work to expend on a casual hobby so for actual games I just lower DEX to 1 point and disallow any abuses of STR's current pricing. On the other hoof, if I could figure out a good price scheme for TK it would solve any arguments over allowing 60 STR + 1 pip HKAs as well as the seemingly perpetual argument of "but why can't I put Hoof to Hoof Attack -1/4 on my HKA?" :ugly:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can sort of address the issue with STR by dividing it into two bits: the ability to manipulate mass and the ability to do damage . Of course it is problematic because if you manipulate enough mass at a target fast enough, you tend to cause damage, but it is definitely a thinking point.

And that's my point in a nutshell.

If you're going to say Dexterity is worth more points because it lets you go first - or any reason at all - you have already made a decision on the types of games that are going to be played: specifically ones that place emphasis on physical combat.

It's a poor way to create an any-genre toolkit. It was a bad decision.

The Hero system is good at doing pretty much anything and the Hero System character creation system can create pretty much anything but the balance is definitely skewed toward combat competence: you can buy the social skills and characteristics to rule the world for less points than most superheroes spend on personal defences.