Character Creation Cheat Sheet

psyber624

I am working on developing a Character Creation Cheat Sheet that basically has the costs of all the different characteristics, skills, powers, talents, advantages, limitations, etc to make it easier to build a character.

This cheat sheet has almost NO rules, mostly just costs. Right now building a power especially can be a frustrating flip through multiple sections, sometimes multiple books, and having all of this info on a small collection of sheets of paper will make my life a lot easier when building characters.

***********************NOTE*************************

Please note that this is created by me, by hand, so most likely includes a few errors. If you catch one please let me know and I will fix it in the next update. Thank you~

Edit: Finally figured out how to attach files, so here it is! in Doc format! if you would like other formats let me know and i will add them here :)

Edit: Updated to Ver 1.01, included a copyright line as requested by DoJ

Edit: Ver 2.0 is ready to go! Now with Champions Complete Page numbers as well as 6e! Also added notations for Caution, Stop, and "GM Option".

Edit: Hrm, seems the new additions caused the file to go over an upload limit of some kind, so I had to break it into two parts. First part has through powers, 2nd has the rest, will try and get a zip application that will let me create a zip and see if i can upload it like that.

Re: Character Creation Cheat Sheet

My guess would be that you should definitely contact Jason before posting such a thing. I doubt the mods have any standing guidelines here (it's not like they're employes of DOJ, let alone legal counsel).

I think the worst that could happen would be that a mod would delete your post. However to avoid getting on Jason's sore side, it's probably best to ask first, as I'm guessing you'll have to sign a license agreement.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Version 1.0 is done. I don't know how to put a file up on the forums (its currently 20 pages long using 11pt font). I'm looking at putting it up on google docs, but that looses all the formatting and played havoc with the layout so it will take a while to reformat it all to work there (its currently done on MS Word 2010). If anyone knows a better way for me to put this up for general use plz let me know. Otherwise till then i guess if you want you can PM me an email address and ill send you a copy.

Edit: Adding a sample here so yall can take a look at it and see if its something you might want:

Regeneration: [6e1 274] Sp, PRS, SO, Se, N See Below

1 Body per: Week: +2 pts, Day: +4 pts, 6 Hours: +6 pts, 1 Hour: + 8 pts, 20 mins: +10 pts,

5 mins: +12 pts, 1 min: +14 pts, 1 Turn: +16 pts

Can Heal Limbs: +5 pts

Ressurection: +20 pts

Does Not Work On (Defined Type of Damage): Rare: (-1/4), Unc: (-1/2), Com: (-3/4), V. Com: (-1)

Resurrection Only: (-2)

Resistant Protection: [6e1 275] Df/St, PRS, SO, Se, N +3 pts per 2 pts Resistant Defense

Impermeable: +0 pts

Protects Carried Items: +10 pts

Allocatable: (+1/4)

Running: [6e1 277] Mv, CNS, SO, Se, Y +1 pt per +1m

Only On Appropriate Terrain: (-1/2)

The letter codes are a shorthand for the different power characteristics (Type, Duration, Target, Range, Costs End). A Key is provided. Note that some of the formatting is lost when posting here (it is all indented and such for ease of reading)

Edit: Also, if anyone here is willing to look this over and give me any critiques, check for errors, etc. I would GREATLY appreciate this.

The google link is https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h2A77CgEPzS4OAIEBde0nwLAJ929eq6T90ojLJ7tB-M/edit However that is not yet reformatted so is rather "ugly" and broken up in places till I have a chance to fix that.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Hero Designer software. That's been a godsend and well worth the money I spent on it. I'd be willing to bet that it's the only way I managed to convince my friends to play. They had some time getting used to the rules and when you factor in all of the cost adjustments for advantages and limitations on something like an EC or VPP, I can't even imagine doing it all by hand now.

Hell, I remember back in the day when I first got introduced into the hero system (back when the book was called Champions) and it came with the floppy disc software.

Yeah, i would love to get Hero Designer, unfortunately i don't have the money for it (esp as buying it right now would preclude me buying another book in the long list I want.) And I am sure there are others in the same boat. Luckily for me I'm really good at math so the cost calculations are not an issue.

This should in no way be considered an out to not buy Hero Designer. From everything I have heard that is an excellent program that will take most of the hassle out of building a character. This is simply a compilation of costs so that if you are familiar with the basic rules and effects of the power you can build it quickly without having to flip through the book for prices (as well as putting all the advantages and limitations in 2 areas, instead of spread out among different sections of the book, which can REALLY slow down building that tricky power as you search page after page for that advantage you KNOW you remember but just can't find).

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Hero Designer software. That's been a godsend and well worth the money I spent on it. I'd be willing to bet that it's the only way I managed to convince my friends to play. They had some time getting used to the rules and when you factor in all of the cost adjustments for advantages and limitations on something like an EC or VPP, I can't even imagine doing it all by hand now.

Hell, I remember back in the day when I first got introduced into the hero system (back when the book was called Champions) and it came with the floppy disc software.

I remember back in the day when it came in a box. :P

Box?

Luxury!

When I were a lad, you were expected to do it all on an abacus AND there'd be 23 brothers and sisters all after the same abacus to work out their characters on. And if you made a mistake trascribing t' results t' clay tablet, you had to start all over again, with a thrashing from your father for wasteful ways.

Kids these days don't thow they're born...

Edit: Also, if anyone here is willing to look this over and give me any critiques, check for errors, etc. I would GREATLY appreciate this.

The google link is https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h2A77CgEPzS4OAIEBde0nwLAJ929eq6T90ojLJ7tB-M/edit However that is not yet reformatted so is rather "ugly" and broken up in places till I have a chance to fix that.

Nice job! I'll look it over when I get a chance.

If I could make a request: could you keep separate formatted and unformatted documents? The document you have now is nice to parse via a computer program, and also might be easier for someone to format into a different kind of document. Adding lots of formatting will probably complicate both. So an unformatted (or lightly formatted, like you have now) might be perferable for that kind of work.

I download a version, so if needed I can keep a lightly formatted version, but it might be better if there was just one person (i.e., you!) managing this.

Nice list. The formatting needs to be cleaned up a bit. Also it would be nice to have it in a font that was easy to read (ie a Serif font).

I would also recommend color coding Yield Sign Powers Yellow, and Stop Sign Powers Red. That way people using the list will be reminded that those powers need some GM intervention/discussion.

Good suggestions. Formatting in Google docs is difficult (they dont allow you to change fonts, offer only a few font sizes and effects and such.)

I was thinking about changing the color for the Yield and Stop powers, but that could create issues for people who like to print things out. (I will probably add some sort of note to the power to the same effect instead.)

To be done: Check values vs official errata, change format so that everything is standard (I changed the way I did things several times over the course of the document, but didn't go back and revert previous entries to the new way), Figure out some way to get it at LEAST legible in google docs, Find a way to host it other than google docs, and add info from other books as i get them (My current purchase plan is Champions, APG 1 & 2, HMA). Gojira I will also look at formatted and unformatted documents, you make a good point there.

Glad you guys are enjoying it :)

• 1 month later...

Okay I am almost done with my update that will add in page numbers for CC (as well as some other additions requested here.) I am now at the Power Modifiers section and wanted some opinions on how I should handle it (as CC does it WAY different that 6e did.)

Option 1: Stick with 6e1 format, only add CC page numbers, by far the easiest method for me.

Option 2: Change to CC format: i.e. all modifiers listed in one section, including pulling the modifiers that were previously listed under the powers themselves into the modifier listings instead (To save space ANY modifier that was used by more than one power was put in the modifiers section in CC, and only modifiers that were unique to a given power are found in that power's description. 6e1 has power modifiers in 3 places: Under the power "type" category for modifiers that apply to all powers in a type, Under the power itself for modifiers that apply to only some powers (but not all of a type), and under the general modifiers section for modifiers that can be taken for nearly any power.) Personally I think this format is a bit easier to read, but would actually increase the size of the document (as I would have to list which powers each modifier can be applied to) and is quite a bit more work.

Option 3: Best of both worlds. Leave the 6e1 modifiers where they are, and add in all of the modifiers that CC puts into the modifer section into the modifier section of my document. Makes the document even LONGER than Option 2, but its easy to find info organized by whatever means you want.

Option 4: Seperate Worlds: One seperate, distinct document for each book. Each one organized by how the information is presented in its respective books. A LOT more work for me, as it means reorgainizing pretty much the whole thing, but everyone gets exactly what they asked for and nothing more. Would also mean that any other books I do would likely be listed the same way (probably one doc for APG1 and APG 2, one doc for all the "Ultimate Series" books i get, one for HSMA, etc.)

If you would prefer one of these options plz let me know, otherwise since I don't know if anyone actually uses this thing I will just go with what works for me and put it up here for EGO's sake :P

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I am almost done with my update that will add in page numbers for CC (as well as some other additions requested here.) I am now at the Power Modifiers section and wanted some opinions on how I should handle it (as CC does it WAY different that 6e did.)

Option 1: Stick with 6e1 format, only add CC page numbers, by far the easiest method for me.

Option 2: Change to CC format: i.e. all modifiers listed in one section, including pulling the modifiers that were previously listed under the powers themselves into the modifier listings instead (To save space ANY modifier that was used by more than one power was put in the modifiers section in CC, and only modifiers that were unique to a given power are found in that power's description. 6e1 has power modifiers in 3 places: Under the power "type" category for modifiers that apply to all powers in a type, Under the power itself for modifiers that apply to only some powers (but not all of a type), and under the general modifiers section for modifiers that can be taken for nearly any power.) Personally I think this format is a bit easier to read, but would actually increase the size of the document (as I would have to list which powers each modifier can be applied to) and is quite a bit more work.

Option 3: Best of both worlds. Leave the 6e1 modifiers where they are, and add in all of the modifiers that CC puts into the modifer section into the modifier section of my document. Makes the document even LONGER than Option 2, but its easy to find info organized by whatever means you want.

Option 4: Seperate Worlds: One seperate, distinct document for each book. Each one organized by how the information is presented in its respective books. A LOT more work for me, as it means reorgainizing pretty much the whole thing, but everyone gets exactly what they asked for and nothing more. Would also mean that any other books I do would likely be listed the same way (probably one doc for APG1 and APG 2, one doc for all the "Ultimate Series" books i get, one for HSMA, etc.)

If you would prefer one of these options plz let me know, otherwise since I don't know if anyone actually uses this thing I will just go with what works for me and put it up here for EGO's sake :P

For a newbie like me this is an excellent resource. Thank you for the work you've put into this.

As for which option... I dunno. Maybe Option 3. sure, it'd make it longer, but it caters to both. Besides, if you're going to include options from the APGs, Ultimates, etc. you could add their modifiers in the appropriate (powers, modifiers) section, too, rather than section them off to a separate section or document.