Snippets

Greywind

“Beth!”

Jen jumped up and dashed across the room. She caught Beth in a hug.

“Hello, Little One. What are you doing here?'

Looking up, Jen tried to smile. “It's a long story.”

“You might as well start telling it, Jen,” Jason said. “I did tell you that you would talk to someone you trust. I need to get back to what I was doing.” Walking towards the door, he held his hand out to Frank Gilbert. “Mr. Gilbert. I've got a chess board set up in the study.” He handed the other man a tablet. “This is tied to the board. We can start remotely and then perhaps finish up sitting down.”

“Sounds good, Jason. When are you going to start calling me Frank?” Jason just smiled in answer. “Will I be playing you or your house ghost?”

“It will be me. I might be a bit distracted. I've got some calls to finish making. Excuse me.”

“I don't think Jason's happy to see me,” Jen said quietly to Beth.

“He has a lot going on. And you just added to it. Let's get my dad settled in the study and then you can start telling me why you're here.”

Jason closed the door and leaned back against it for a moment. “Send a message to HR. Minor in the workplace, necessary work permits, parental forms. Whatever is needed.”

“Yes, sir,” Mentor answered.

Jason brought his hands up and rubbed his forehead before dragging his fingers down his face. “War room on the left monitor.” Jason looked to the screen. “Call Huntress. Personal.” Jason walked around his desk and sat. It took a few moments before there was an answer.

“Hey, Jason!”

“Afternoon, Sharon. How's the trip? Where are you at?”

Sharon Anderson smiled. “So far it's great! A few hours south of you traveling north. I was planning on stopping in. Thanks again for the bike. So is this a social call or business?”

“Calls to you are always social. But, yes, there is some business involved. I have an individual that wishes to become a student.”

Sharon frowned. “Came to you? You're good, but you don't have the temperament to be a teacher.”

“Which is what I told them and why I called you, oh great and powerful sensei.”

Pursing her lips, Sharon asked, “Who is it?”

“Jen Asher.”

Her eyes narrowed. “Warren's little sister?”

“The very same.”

“No. I won't teach her to do what we do. She's too young. I am not going to create a sidekick.”

Jason smiled. “Sharon, relax. Self-defense only. How soon can you be here?”

“I don't know...”

“Steaks on the grill. With mushrooms.”

Sharon smiled. “Throw some garlic shrimp in and I'll come interview the prospective.”

“Fair enough,” Jason agreed.

Looking down, Sharon fiddled with something Jason couldn't see. “Two-and-a-half, three hours tops.”

“Great. See you then.” Sharon nodded and the screen reset to the war room.

Contemplating his next call, Jason looked up when the right monitor lit up with a chess board. Frank Gilbert took the white and started off moving his queen's knight to c3. Jason mirrored the move.

Jason tapped the monitor in his desk top. The screen button read “Guardians”. Images of all the active members appeared. Jason was just about to tap Warren's image when Mentor announced, “There is an incoming call from Miriam Croystetter.”

Jason hung his head. “Send it to voice.” Jason's finger touched Warren's face.

“Jason! I was just about to call you. Jennie, she cleaned out her bank account and ran away. I could really use your help in finding her. I figure...”

“Warren.”

“...that she would go somewhere warm...”

“Warren.”

“...probably a big city...”

“Warren!”

“...I'm thinking like... What?”

“Relax, Speedy.”

“How can you expect me to relax? My sister...”

“Is here.”

“What?”

“She showed up at the gate a couple of hours ago.”

“I'm coming out there.”

Jason shook his head. “No, you aren't.”

“Why?”

Smiling, Jason said, “Because your impulse to run out here to make sure she's safe is the same reason she didn't talk to you before she ran off. Trust me, Warren, she's safe.”

“You've got something on your mind. Why is it, as fast as I am, you always seem to think several steps ahead?”

Jason's eyes shifted to the chess board. He moved another piece. “You should...”

“...get my parents. I'll be right back.” Warren disappeared. Jason heard the screen door slam shut.

Laying his head back against the rest, Jason closed his eyes. “Mentor, see if you can rescind Jennie closing her account. If you can, transfer funds from my personal account to match what she withdrew. While I'm thinking about it, keep an invoice running of how much this favor of Jennie's is costing.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Hi, Jason.”

Opening his eyes, Jason smiled. “Hey, Kate.”

“She is okay, right?”

Jason made another move on the chess board. “She's fine. It seems she had a plan in place.”

Kate frowned. “Why did she run off?”

“It's not my place to say, Kate. And I'd really prefer to wait until Ben and Mary are there,” he said, still smiling. “How is Aaron doing?”

“Running me ragged,” Kate said, also smiling. “He's asleep right now.” Aaron wailed. “Was,” Kate said with a grimace. “Hang on. Mommy's coming. Talk to you later.” Kate stepped out of view.

“Another call from Miss Croystetter,” Mentor said.

“Voice. Until further notice any calls from her go to voice.”

“Yes, sir.”

Jason sighed.

“Hello, Jason.” Turning his full attention to the left monitor, Jason just stared. Leah cocked her head and gave Jason an impish smile. “What? Did Aaron spit up on me or something?” From what Jason could see, Leah was wearing a bikini top.

“No. Just rendered speechless for a moment.” Leah grinned. “Going swimming?”

“Sunbathing, actually. Trying to talk Kate into working on removing her tan lines.”

“No one wants to see me without tan lines,” Kate yelled.

“I do,” Warren answered as he came back into the house. “Parents are on their way.”

“I do,” Warren answered as he came back into the house. “Parents are on their way.” Having slowed down, Warren really looked at Jason. “Are you okay? You seem kind of worn down.”

“I'm good. Just too many irons in my fire right now.”

“And Jennie just added to them. Sorry.”

Jason shook his head. “Not your fault.”

“Has there been anything about...” Marlene's name hung between the two of them.

“Still looking. Can't help but feel something was missed.”

“Yeah,” Warren said quietly. “What's your plan so far as Jen?”

“To wait until your parents are there. Then we can discuss what options I am willing to take as long as they fall in line with what your parents will allow.”

“They shouldn't be too long. Mom called the sheriff to let them know that Jen was found safe. What are you doing?” Warren asked when Jason looked at the chess board.

“Playing a game of chess with Beth's dad.”

“Two more reasons I should run out there.”

Jason chuckled. “You're more than welcome. Just don't come alone.”

“That requires planning and me not running out there.”

“See?” Jason teased. “You're a lot quicker on the uptake that you say you are.” Warren hrumphed. “Mentor, check with Jen's school. See what options they have in place for distance learning.”

“Scanning now.”

“You're going to have her finish her school year?”

“First step is to make sure all her obligations are met as best we can.”

“Jason, they do have a plan in place, but they are lacking the funds for the equipment. The school board is attempting to get the funds budgeted for the next school year, to do the improvements over the summer.”

Smiling, Jason ran his hand over his desk top, shoving all the icons on it to the side. “Bring up the IT department at FP#5.” Nodding, Jason said, “I thought I recalled that. One of department heads is an adjunct professor at the community college out there. Teaches networking.”

“What are you thinking, Jase?”

Jason turned his attention to Warren. “Donate all the necessary equipment. Either from FP#5 or have it expedited. Toss this at the IT head. He can use his students, give them practical experience. Have it all done between two weekends if the school is willing.”

“And you get a little tax write-off for the charitable donation?” Warren asked.

“Hmm. Didn't even consider that. I was think more along the lines 'giving back to the community'. Mentor, is that school in the same district as the plant?”

“No, sir.”

“Oh, well. There goes that thought.”

“Two weekends is rather generous, don't you think?”

“Not really. Looking at the plan Mentor has up, the school was figuring two weeks. I'm figuring paying the IT guys overtime, covering dinner for the students when they're helping, things like that.”

Warren nodded. “Nice.” His eyes darted to the door. “Think my parents are here. Be right back.”

Stepping back in front of the camera at Warren's, Leah regarded Jason. “Warren's right. You do look worn. Is everything okay?”

I'm locked in battle in my own mind, but just seeing you helps. “I'm fine. Just tired. Like I said, I have entirely too many things going on that need my attention.” The screen door closed and Ben and Mary stepped into view. Jason nodded to each in greeting. “Ben. Mary.”

“How is she?”

Jason smiled. “She's fine, Mary.”

“Did she say why she ran away?”

“Not exactly. She wasn't too forthcoming on details and I didn't want to push her. She didn't run away, Mary. She ran to.”

“Where is she?” Ben asked.

“Sitting room. I left her with Beth. I told her she had to talk to someone she trusted. I figured Beth fit the bill.”

“I want her home.”

“Ben, I can do that. If that is what is decided that is best she'll be home before midnight. She trusted me enough to come to me. If I send her packing without the help she has asked for that could be lost.”

Mary and Ben looked at each other. “Why did she come to you?”

“She wants me to teach her how to fight. With what little she said to me, she is either being bullied or is friends with someone who is.” Jason rubbed his temple.

“She came home with a black eye last Monday,” Mary said. “She told me she ran into a door.”

“I don't get why she'd run off, though,” Ben said.

“Ben, Jennie is a strong girl. You've raised her well. But she looks up to Warren. She's known all of us for as long as we've been a team. We don't sit by, Ben. We do. Sometimes that has a powerful impact.”

Ben nodded. “I want her home son.”

“I'd like to hear what Jason has in mind,” Mary admonished her husband. “What are you thinking?” she directed at Jason.

Eyes shifting to an email notice on the right monitor, Jason tapped it and dragged the attached file to the desktop. “Printer hot, Speedy.”

“On it,” Warren replied.

“What I have in mind, Mary, is to give Jen what she wants. I won't teach her. I don't have the time and, honestly, as a teacher I suck. I do have a friend that is coming in in a bit expressly to interview Jen as a student.

“I've been discussing ideas with Warren about making sure Jen finishes out this school year. Hopefully without too much disruption.”

“I had a call from one of her teachers,” Mary told him. “She wanted to let me know that Jennie's grades have slipped.”

Jason nodded. “That doesn't surprise me.”

“Why wouldn't she say something?”

Warren coughed. “The Unwritten Code of students; thou shall not be a narc. Students have issues, you don't involve the teachers to resolve them. Printer is up, Jase.”

Jason dragged the file icon across his desk and dropped it on top of Warren's image. “I am sending you a mess of papers for you to read, sign, and send back. If you'll let me keep Jen through the summer. I will give her to Beth and Jessica working however many hours state law will allow. If we can get the school to agree and get the equipment set up so she won't miss any more of her schooling, then she will do that at a distance.

“Between school, work, and if Sharon takes her on as a student...”

“Sharon? Ouch,” Warren said.

“If Sharon takes her on a student she won't have a lot of time to get into trouble. If she's allowed to stay.”

Mary looked up to Ben. “He's trying to make it an opportunity for her.”

Ben glanced down at his wife. He inhaled, drawing himself up taller. His face went hard. Then he exhaled, his face looking to the floor. “I think that we need to talk to her before we can decide.”

Jason nodded. “I understand. Give me a few minutes and I'll get her in here.”

“And that's pretty much all there is to it,” Jen said shrugging. “I just didn't think they'd realize why I felt compelled to do something. So here I am.”

“I don't think you give them enough credit. Running away is a bit drastic in the best of times.”

Jen glowered at Beth. “I didn't run away. I came here.”

“Without your parents' consent,” Jason said. “And they want to talk to you.”

“You called my parents?”

“Minor. Runaway,” Jason said pointing at her. “Office is at the end of the hall. Mentor will guide you. Don't keep them waiting.”

Jen slowly got up and walked past Jason. “This way, Miss Asher,” Mentor said.

For a long moment, Jason stood staring at Beth. “What are you staring at?”

Take her. Dominate her. Use her. “Just admiring your long, tanned legs,” he said with a smile.

Beth gave him an annoyed look for a moment. “What's it going to be this time? Just a sketch or a painting.”

Jason chuckled. “Actually, steaks on the grill. Sauteed mushrooms. Garlic shrimp. And whatever else comes to mind.”

“Need help?”

“Do you want to help?”

Beth stood up and stretched. “Not really, but I don't think this crisis is over quite yet.”

“Probably not. This crisis may well last through the summer.”

“How's that?” Beth asked.

“I told Ben and Mary I'd arrange what Jen wanted. I also told them I'd put her to work. Give her to you so you could have your own personal runner.”

Putting her hand on Jason's upper arm, she said, “Good. Give her the opportunity.”

Now! Take her! Make her ours!

You can't have this one, either! Smiling at Beth, he said, “Jennie may not think it's so great if she can stay.”

“Why?”

“Dani's mom is coming in. Should be here soon. If she likes what she sees, she'll be the one teaching Jennie. You want to mince the garlic or shell the shrimp?”

“Now this is how chess is supposed to be played. Having your opponent within sight so you can get a read from his body language, his face.”

Jason laughed. “Sorry, Mr. Gilbert, but between business calls, Jennie, prepping the food for the grill, I'm just going to have to keep playing by remote.” Tapping the screen next to him, Jason used a bishop to remove a white rook.

“Want another beer, dad?”

Frank looked up. “I don't think so, dear. I don't want to drink all Jason's stock.”

“Frank, it's okay. Only ones around here that drink are your daughter and... Anyway, Warren, Dani, sometimes Ash.”

“You're slipping, Jason,” Frank said seriously. “Okay then,” he said smiling. “Yes, I will have another.”

“That reminds me.” Jason tapped the screen again.

“Security.”

“Jake, I'm expecting someone. Sharon Anderson. She's coming by bike. A newer model Ducati.”

“Yes, sir. I'll keep my eye out.”

“Thank you.” Jason turned his attention back to the food preparation.

“Jason,” he looked up at being addressed. “Mom and dad want to talk to you,” Jennie said. She looked like she had been crying. “You, too, Beth.”

“Well, I guess we'd better, then, Little One,” Beth replied. As they walked past, Beth's arm went around Jennie. “I miss the days I could carry you on my hip.” Jennie leaned into Beth and smiled.

Leaning back against his desk, Jason asked, “So what was decided?”

“We have some reservations,” Mary said. “But we trust the two of you. These papers, do you need them all returned?”

“Just the ones that you need to sign, Mom,” Beth said. “We'll get the rest of them here to put together and drop in her file.”

“I still want her home, Jason,” Ben told him. “What guarantee do I have she'll be safe?” Warren stepped up to his dad and started whispering something. Ben held up his hand, cutting Warren off. Jason's face went hard as he stared at Ben.

Kill him!

Jason slowly smiled. Stepping to a cabinet, he pulled out a drawer and lifted a jeweler's tray. He set that on his desk and lifted the cover. “Jennie, take a look at these.”

Jennie moved from where she stood just inside the door. She bent over the tray, looking at the pieces of silver and gold therein. “What am I supposed to do?”

Find one you like.”

This one,” she said, lifting out a necklace. The chain was connected at the tips of wings. Jason had made it with Kris in mind. “But it's empty.”

We'll take care of that momentarily,” Jason told her. Over her back, Jason passed a needle to Beth. Beth glared at him as she took it. “Beth, prick a finger.”

“Prick a finger for...OW!”

Jason cupped his hand while Beth put Jennie's finger over it and squeezed out a drop of blood. She then jabbed Jason's finger rather viciously. She withdrew the needle. Jason squeezed out a drop of his own blood to mix with Jennie's.

His fingers closed over his palm and his power flowed. Jason closed his eyes. Crimson emanated from between his fingers. He winced. Then his faced contorted with rage. Jason's eyes opened. They burned crimson with his power. “Bastard,” he snarled quietly.

Taking the necklace gently from Jennie he pressed the stone into the receptacle between the wings, where it locked into place. He smiled at Jennie. She stared at him. “You're bleeding.”

Looking confused, Jason looked down. Blood dropped from his nose onto his dress shirt. “Nose and ears, Jason,” Beth said. She grabbed tissues and handed them to him. Jason wiped his nose and held the tissue there. “What happened?”

“I don't know.”

“That's never happened before,” Leah said. Concern was on her face.

Closing his eyes, Jason stood still for a moment, breathing deeply. He smiled before his eyes opened. “I'm fine.” He set the bloody tissue on his desk, making sure his fingers were clean. He unhooked the chain. “Jennie?”

Jennie stepped close and turned her back to Jason. He draped the chain over her shoulders and she lifted her hair so he could fasten it around her neck. Jennie raised it so she could examine the stone and setting.

“I trust that will satisfy, Ben,” Jason said sharply.

Ben nodded. “It will, son.”

“Welcome to the club, sis.”

“That went well,” Warren said sarcastically after the screen went dark.

“Why?” Ben asked.

“Because, Dad, I don't think you could have insulted him more if you had tried. He gave you his word when he started arranging Jennie staying with him. He wouldn't do that if he didn't have every intention of making sure she's safe. Honestly, I don't expect her to see much outside of the house and the office.”

“I don't get what the problem is! It isn't like he hasn't done it for Leah,” Ben said pointing at Leah's caged stone. “Or for Kate. Or for you,” he said pulling Warren's hand up so that the ring that held the blood star was between them.

“That was a different time and a different matter,” Warren told him.

Kate hand Aaron off to Mary. “Dad, last year, when I called having problems, before Aaron was born,” Kate glanced at Leah. “That problem was caused by Jason. Do you remember what he said to you? You and he joke around about it often enough.”

“He said he suffered a bout of stupidity. That it was nothing fatal.”

“It was fatal, Ben,” Leah said quietly. “Jason died saving me. And then there was a reaction, feedback to all of us that Jason has done it with.”

“My reaction was the worst,” Kate said. “It caused problems with my already problematic pregnancy.”

Warren and Leah glanced at each other. “Honey, that's not exactly true. You had issues because of it. That can't be denied. Jason blames himself as much as I blamed him.”

“What?” Kate's mind raced, trying to make sense of things.

“Marlene got hit the worst, Kate,” Leah told her. “Her link was the oldest surviving one that he had.”

“Me, I didn't feel much at the time.”

“Well, duh,” Leah said. “You bounced off the underside of the transport at two thousand miles per hour.” Leah sat on the couch and drew her legs up. “I'm worried about him.”

“Why?” Ben asked.

“I watched when he made my first one. I was there when he made Kate's. Neither time did it cause him to have blood pouring from his nose and ears.”

“He didn't have that reaction when he made ours, either. I don't know why it would this time,” Warren said.

“You could ask him,” Mary said, adjusting Aaron as she slipped into the rocking chair.

Kate stepped to Warren. He wrapped his arms around his wife. “I'd like to, Mom. Jason and I don't talk as much as we used to.”

“Maybe that's something you should correct,” Mary suggested.

“I'll call him tonight,” Leah said. “After the house goes quiet.” Aaron gurgled contentment snuggling his grandmother. “Assuming the lord of the mansion allows it,” she said, smiling at the baby.

Sharon stepped outside, closed her eyes and raised her face to the sun. She smiled, basking in the warmth. Walking to the grill, she opened the small refrigerator and liberated a bottle of beer. Jason smiled at her. “Thanks for letting me get cleaned up.”

“You do clean up nicely, Mrs. Anderson.”

Giving him an amused look, she stepped in close and indicated to him he should come closer. Jason bent his head down. Sharon gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for the bike. I really mean that.”

“After being in the dark for so long, I thought you might want the chance to see the world again.” She gave Jason an appreciative smile. “Dinner will be done shortly.”

Her attention turned to the table, eyes going from face to face. “Do I know any of these people?” she asked Jason quietly.

“Hi, Mrs. Anderson,” Beth called to her. “Nice to see you again.”

Sharon laughed. “Hello, Beth. Nice to see you for the first time.” Beth frowned and shook her head. Sharon pointed at her eyes. “They work now.”

“Oh! That's great! This is my dad, Frank.” Sharon went to the table as Frank stood and held out his hand.

“Jason didn't tell me we were expecting such lovely company for dinner,” Frank said with a wink.

“Such a charming gentleman,” Sharon said with a smile, placing her hand in Frank's.

“Little One here is Jennie.”

“Hi. Are you going to be my teacher?”

Sharon gazed at Jennie appraisingly. “That remains to be seen, Miss Asher.” Her gaze dropped to the chess board. “Who's playing?” she asked, slipping into a chair.

“Jason and I,” Frank said.

The board was only a few moves into the game. “Mind if I take over?”

“If you'd like,” Jason said smiling.

Looking over the board, she asked, “Whose move it is?”

“Yours.”

Eyes on the board, scanning possible moves, Sharon said, “That's a lovely necklace, Jennie.”

“Thanks. Jason made it for me.”

Sharon gave Jason a pointed look. “I have one similar to it.”

“Sorry I'm late.”

“There she is,” Beth teased.

Jessica smiled. “Yeah, you know how it is. Jason, you've got appointments lined...”

“Jess,” Beth admonished. “What is the rule about work out here?”

“Sorry. I forgot. Looks like I missed dinner.”

“Not really. I've got one on the grill for you,” Jason told her. “Have a seat.” Jason headed back to the grill.

“Jess, this is Jennie Asher. She'll be working with us through the summer. If there are any jobs you find too onerous, feel free to throw them on her work pile.”

“Beth! That hardly sounds fair!” Jennie complained.

Jessica smiled at Jen. “Don't worry about it. You might like some of the jobs that I find onerous.” She turned to face Jason. “On the matter of things not work, Miriam Croystetter called. She said she was having a problem getting through to you. She wants...” Jason held his hand up.

“How many times did she call?”

“Six,” Mentor answered.

“And how many messages did she leave?”

“Three. Would you like me to play them?” Mentor asked.

“Like, no, but if I listen and find out what she wants, Jessica won't have to lie to her when I give her an order counter to what Miss Croystetter wants.” Jason pulled his ear piece from a pocket and set it in place. “Go.”

Jason, it's Miriam. There's a new exhibition at the Museum of Art opening this week. I was thinking that maybe you'd like to take me to see it. Call me, please.”

“Anything noteworthy about the exhibit?”

“There might be some pieces of interest to you,” Mentor told him.

Jason thought for a moment. “Status of the event?”

“Casual. And your family's holdings do allow you free access.”

Nodding in thought, Jason finally said, “RSVP to the museum. Three passes.”

“Yes, sir. The other messages are along the same line. There just seemed to be some urgency as they progress.”

We could use her.

And that is just one more reason to stay away from her. Jason pulled Jessica's steak from the grill and began filling her plate with shrimp and vegetables.

“We'll put Jennie in my old room. The desk is still there. Get her a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and plug it all in to the house network,” Beth said. “After that, she'll be good to go.”

Jason set the plate down for Jessica. “I want a desk set up for her outside of my office, with Jessica's. With the time differential, she'll sitting in class before Jessica gets in.”

“School?” Jen asked. “Seriously?”

“First concern is you meeting your obligations. That means finishing out this school year with passing grades. If you don't think you can manage that you are on the first flight back I can arrange,” Jason told her. “This is not up for debate. During the week you will either attend classes from your room here or from the desk set up for you at the office. I'm expecting a care package for you that will include all your books and your assignments through the end of the year. And so you don't get any ideas to the contrary, Warren will scan all the papers from your teachers before he sends them. Mentor will monitor your school progress.” Jennie slumped in her chair.

“This isn't what I was expecting,” she said glumly.

“If Mrs. Anderson agrees to teach you, you will belong to her for a minimum of two hours every evening.”

“This is beginning to sound as bad as being on the farm.”

Sharon smiled. “No, Miss Asher. If I agree to teach you, believe me, this will be much worse.”

“Jason, about the movie premiere next week, you know I'm all for being one of the first to see a blockbuster.”

“But?”

“Jake and Sally want to go out that night, seeing as Jake has it off. Sam wants me to watch her.”

Jason turned his gaze to Jen. “I think we can find a suitable stand-in for you, Jessica. Arrange for a third seat.”

“Could be expensive,” she warned.

“That's fine. As long as the three seats are together. Also, contact George. Suitable dresses for Jennie and Mrs. Anderson.”

“Me?” Sharon said. “Why me?”

“I think you might like the movie,” Jason said with a grin. “I assume you plan on doing your discussing here shortly,” Sharon nodded. “Then tomorrow, Beth, Jessica, either or both of you can take Jennie shopping for proper office attire.”

“Can I get something for myself?” Beth joked.

“Sure. Three-inch black heels with an ankle strap. Four if you're feeling adventurous. A black or dark gray pencil skirt. Sheer black hose. A red satin blouse. And a black ribbon tie.”

Beth's eyes narrowed. “I have that at home.”

“And you looked lovely in it.”

Frank laughed. “I had to have Leah do my makeup.”

“You did not,” Jason told her. “But she did do a lovely job.”

“Yes, she did,” Beth agreed.

“Of course, get something for yourself. Just keep in mind, if it is interesting I may need you to model it for me.”

Beth stuck her tongue out at him.

“There's a group of kids at school that delight in making other kids' life hell.”

Sharon and Jennie wandered the yard. Sharon marveled in everything; a rabbit lazing in the grass, the birds darting from tree to tree, a hawk soaring above. “And you want to bully the bullies?”

Jennie stopped, falling a few steps behind. “No! I just don't want to be a victim anymore.”

Turning, Sharon regarded her. “You remind me a lot of Warren.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“It's good,” Sharon smiled as she said it. “If I teach you there are things that you have to do. First off don't lie to me.”

“You sound like Jason.”

Nodding, Sharon said, “There's a reason for that. I taught him. If asked something give an answer, even if the answer is that you do not wish to answer. I will not lie to you. Second, if I tell you to do something, do it. Don't ask why. Don't try to figure it out at that moment. Just do it.”

“That doesn't sound too hard.”

“If I take you on as my student, you will ache, you will hurt, you may even bleed. I suspect that working on a farm you're already in good physical form.”

“I guess so,” Jennie said.

“Why does Beth call you 'Little One'?”

Jennie caught up to Sharon. “Beth and Warren have been friends forever. There was a time I thought they might marry. They met in kindergarten. Mom and Beth's mom became friends. When I came along, Beth was my babysitter. I've always been Little One to her.” Jennie noticed they were walking towards the trees. “What's back here?”

“You've never been here before?”

“No, ma'am. Jason said when I was ready.”

Sharon nodded. “Then let's go explore, shall we?”

“Are all the components ready? Then what's the problem?” Sharon waited in the hall while Jason talked. “Then I would suggest you expedite the shipment. It was supposed to have gone out two days ago. Believe me, you do not want to get Miss Kendall upset with you. Expedite it or I'll feed you to her for lunch.”

When she heard a clatter she went in. Jason had tossed his headset onto a nearby table. “Problem?” she asked.

Jason shrugged. “Parts that Brianna wanted for a project. She was supposed to have them by tomorrow. She called wanting to know the status. Damned things are still sitting on the dock.” His attention was on a canvas. “How did your talk with Jennie go?”

“We went exploring. Ended up out back. She met your parents, your grandparents, and Sandy.” Jason nodded. Sharon came over to look at what was on the canvas. Lines were drawn for chest or a desk. A large arched window made Sharon think of Charles'... Jason's she corrected herself, office. That would make the desk Silas' old desk. Sharon watched while Jason outlined a female form. “That reminds me, I want to see your catalog.”

Glancing at her, Jason smiled. “Sketchbooks are in my room on the shelves.” A girl appeared leaning against the desk while Sharon looked on. A knee-length pencil skirt appeared and then Jason quickly removed the lines of the girl's legs. One foot was pressed against the desk and the other on the floor.

“Red blouse, dark pencil skirt, heels with ankle straps. Does Beth know why you wanted to see her like that again?”

Chuckling, Jason said, “I haven't told her a thing about this painting. Painting keeps me...” from thinking about this thing in my head. “Focused.”

“So what about your other paintings?” Sharon moved around the studio. A bookshelf with art references were against one wall. Shelves with paints in tubes, jars, and cans lined another. A rack held other canvases. Sharon flipped through them slowly.

“You picked a good week to stop by. Emily and Stacie are coming out. Emily wants to go through what I've got stashed here. She's already gone through what is at the other mansion. Stacie is playing photographer for her.”

“For what?”

“Gallery showing. Charity sales and auction. Gives me a chance to clear out some clutter. Pieces I won't part with will be for display only. What did you decide about Jen?”

“I'll teach her. I can't fault her reasons for wanting to learn. While it isn't a fair comparison, using Warren as a yardstick, Benjamin and Mary have raised them well,” she admitted.

Reaching out, Jason flicked off the desk lamp. The last light of the day came through the window. Soon shadows would claim the office for the night. Closing his eyes, he reached out. Sharon and Jennie were by the pool. Most likely it in. Jessica was probably with them.

“A call for you,” Mentor said.

“From?”

“Warren's.”

“Put it through.”

The wall across from the desk lit up with Leah. She was sitting on the couch, legs were drawn up. Her hair was loose and pulled to one side. Her brush rested on the arm of the couch. A wine glass was in her hand, resting on her leg. She wore a short royal blue robe. “Still speechless?” she asked with a gentle smile.

Always. “Hi.”

Hi, yourself. It's nice what you're doing for Jennie.” Leah put her elbow on the armrest and leaned her head against her hand.

Sharon has agreed to teach her. I heard back from the IT crew. The principal tentatively okayed the agreement. She'll kick it up to the school board for a fast turn-around. With it being a full donation of material, time and labor, she doesn't think they will decline.” Jason touched a control on his desk and Leah came closer until she was the only thing on his monitor. “Nice robe.”

It should be. You gave it to me,” she teased.

Everyone in bed?”

Leah smiled. “Actually, I'm here alone right now. Warren decided that he and Kate needed a night out. Mary agreed and kidnapped Aaron so that Kate didn't have an excuse.”

Dragging her kicking and screaming out for a good time,” Jason said with a smile. “They need that.”

Agreed. I hope I wasn't intruding.”

Never. “I've got three mermaids out in the pool. Beyond that, I've got a painting waiting for me in the studio.”

You should have let me claim her.

You should get out of my head.

The other laughed.

Ben is having a hard time of it, I think. He wasn't quite ready for his littlest to fly the nest. And she caught you right between your pride and your honor.”

Jason nodded. “The obligation was there. From the time the Ashers accepted me.”

I know.”

She didn't tell Warren because she was afraid he'd go over-protective.”

Leah laughed. “You know he would.”

Yeah. You should have seen the look on her face when I asked her what made her think I wouldn't. I don't think she realizes what she and her family means to me,” Jason said quietly.

What are you thinking?”

That you're beautiful. That I miss you. That I wish you were here. And that I'm glad you're not. “As I said earlier, got too many irons in the fire and trying to get some of them out.”

We're... I'm...” Leah sighed. “Concerned about you. I was there when you made my first stone.”

Second one, too,” Jason interjected. “Technically.”

Leah gave him a stern look. “I was there with you when you made Kate's. Warren said the same when you made the rest of theirs. Never had you... At no point did you have blood spraying from your nose and ears.”

Spraying? Hmm. Might have to see if Mentor caught it on video.”

I'm serious, Jason.”

I'm fine, Leah,” he said gently. “Chalk it up to not sleeping well, exhaustion.” He smiled. “I'm fine.”

Leah looked at her wine glass. “I wish...”

Me, too.

• 2 weeks later...

The house was dark, the front door was unlocked. Kate slipped her keys back into her jacket pocket. Flipping a switch by the door turned a lamp on. Leah was still sitting on the couch where she had been. The wine bottle was laying on its side, empty. Leah's wine glass lay on the rug on the far side of the coffee table.

Kate went and picked it up, set it on the table and righted the wine bottle. “Hey, Sparky,” she said quietly. “Is everything okay?” Leah nodded. “Just wearing your robe?” Leah nodded again. “Give Jason a peep show?” she teased. Leah shook her head. Kate sat on the couch beside Leah. “Are you okay?”

“No,” Leah answered quietly.

“What's wrong?”

Leah looked at Kate. She was crying. “I want my life back.”

“HR sent a memo and wanted me to remind you that threatening to feed an employee to a customer is not acceptable.”

Jason looked at Jessica. “It wasn't a threat. It was a promise. Inquire as to why those parts were sitting on the dock two days after they were supposed to have been shipped.”

“Already done. The response was 'clerical error',” Jessica told him.

“Damned expensive clerical error. Mentor, do we have an ETA when Brianna can expect delivery?”

“Yes, sir. In fact, she already queried and I gave her the answer. She should have them around one her time.”

“So roughly sometime in the next three to four hours.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Thank you, Mentor.”

Beth walked in wearing her red blouse, dark skirt, heels with straps, and sheer dark nylons.

“I'm just about ready to go,” Jess said.

“That's fine,” Beth responded. With her back to Jason, she shimmied up on his desk. Turning sideways, she brought her legs up on it and struck a pose. “What position do you want me in?” She settled back on her elbows and raised her chin. “Like this?” She turned to face him resting her head on one upraised palm. Her legs were flexed with her knees pointing at him. “Or like this?”

Jason laughed. “Jessica, would you mind getting my camera for me?”

Jessica was grinning and trying not to laugh as well. “Yes, sir.”

“Thanks, Beth. I needed that,” he said gently.

“What? You needed to see me rolling around on your desk?”

“I needed the laugh.”

“I know,” she said quietly. “Can I ask you... Have you figured out what happened?”

“Not yet. I have been looking. Believe me, I've been looking. You don't want to know the rocks I've turned over and the people I've talked to looking for information,” he explained.

“I miss her,” Beth said.

“Me, too. Something on your mind?” he asked.

Beth frowned. “That transparent, am I?”

“We've been together ten years, more or less living together,” he explained.

Smiling, Beth said, “Not really. We met, you hired me, you met Kris and Ash, started your little gang, and moved to New York while I stayed here, minded your appointments, and went to school.” She rolled on her back and stared at the ceiling. “Did you know about the rumors that went around the office about how I got my job?”

“I never heard a peep. Your buckle is broken.”

Beth lifted her leg and looked at her shoe. “I know. I snagged it on something between my place and here.”

“May I?” Jason asked, indicating her shoe. Beth moved her foot closer and Jason undid the strap.

“Even with you in New York, in a relationship with Ash, people swore up and down we were sleeping together.”

Attention on the shoe, Jason said, “Funny. I only recall the one time you were ever in my bed and that was because I wouldn't let you sleep on the couch.”

Beth smiled. “Chivalry noted. Your dad came down pretty hard on anyone that implied my sexual prowess had to do with the job.”

“You were an excellent assistant, Beth. You're an excellent office manager. I've never regretted hiring you. Buckle is fixed.” Beth sat up and put her foot on his knee.

“I've never regretted coming to work for you, either. Sometimes you made so angry I wanted to kill you, but I never regretted.” Jason slipped her shoe on and fastened the strap around her ankle. “I'm just glad that helping you get dressed was never part of the job.”

Jason smiled and nodded. “How are things with Boyd?”

Beth dropped her gaze to the buckle. “Like new.” She smiled at Jason. “Thanks. I don't know how things are with Boyd. How do you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Well, with Ash, the two of you were together almost constantly. And with Kris and Warren in the mix. You and Leah spent a lot of time apart with her modeling schedule. And now with Marlene missing, how do you do deal with the separations?”

“There were nights Ash and I slept in our own rooms. With Leah, there were lots of phone calls. Afterward, there was a lot of anger. Anger that I took out on a lot of people.”

“What about Angelique?”

“Stress relief. Enemy with benefits at the time, I guess.”

Beth cocked her head and looked at him. “But why?”

“There was an attraction involved. The forbidden fruit. But it turned out that the man that arranged for Leah and I to get together was also involved in Leah leaving. And he manipulated events so that Angelique and I might turn to one another,” Jason explained. “In light of what I know now, his reasoning was that if someone might actually care about her, not being forced to, but naturally care and have concern for her, she might broaden her own empathy, if that makes sense. Let her see there is more to life beyond selfish reasons.”

“How are you dealing with Marlene?”

“Aside from looking for her?” Beth nodded. “Lack of sleep. Lots of coffee. A lot of violence in the gym. Entirely too much thinking.”

“Got it!” Jessica announced. “Where do you want to start?”

“Oh, lets take a few hundred of Beth being inappropriate on the desk so we can post them up on her MyFaceSpaceBook and maybe sell her on the internet.”

“Working back around to wanting to kill you,” Beth said. “Seriously, how do you want me?”

Jason came around his desk and held his hand out to Beth. She slipped off the desk with his help and straightened her skirt. Jason took the camera from Jessica. “Lean back against the desk.” Looking back, Beth did as he asked, gripping the side of the desktop. “Put your heel up against the desk. Yes, like that.” Jason knelt a little distance away.

“Did it work with Angelique?” Beth asked.

Jason glanced at Jessica before answering. “I think so. She made some apologies where appropriate. She disappeared at the same time. I think she was trying to save her.” Beth nodded. “Need to do something with your arms.” Beth gave him a questioning look. “Jessica, hand her a book off the shelf, please.” Jessica did. “Hold it close to your chest. No, look straight ahead.” Jason lay on his side and snapped a picture. Lost in thought, Beth gently bit the tip of her thumb. Jason snapped again. “I think that will do,” he declared.

“You're working on something,” Beth realized. Jason smiled at her. “I want to see it.”

“When it's done.”

Jason handed her the camera. Beth flipped through the images. “I look pensive.”

“And beautiful,” Jason said quietly to her. Beth smiled. Jason pulled open a drawer in the desk and handed two cards to her. “Here.”

“What's this?” One card was Jason's credit card. The other was an appointment card.

“After clothes shopping and lunch, the four of you have an appointment. Full spa treatment.” Jessica squealed. Beth only nodded.

“I need to change,” Beth said.

“I will see if Jen and Mrs. Anderson are ready,” Jessica announced and walked out.

Walking slowly towards the door, Beth stopped when Jason spoke. “Where it comes to Boyd, do what feels right.”

“Can I ask you something?” Jason nodded. “Why did you keep your distance from Marlene for so long?”

“To keep her safe and to protect myself. I didn't want to see what I might be if she weren't in this world and knowing that it might be my fault,” he said quietly.

“And?”

“And I've made some questionable decisions since she's been gone.”

Beth nodded. “I need to get changed.” Beth walked out.

“And I'm not done making them,” he said to himself.

Siobhan “Irish” Kendall picked up her phone and glanced at the screen before answering. “Hello, darlin'. How are ye doin'?” Her pen worked a crossword puzzle in a newspaper as she talked. “Aye, I know Marla. Are ye askin' on 'count Leah is seein' her?” The butt-end of her pen began to tap against the newspaper. “I see... That's good... Aye... Aye... I can vouch for her. Why dinna ye ask Daniel? Of course no'. Ye've made it verra clear ye no like the man.” Irish set the pen down and pushed the paper aside. “No. Tha' no' be a problem. I'll talk tae her an' arrange an introduction... Aye. Ye know ye don' need tae have reason tae call... Love ye, too.” She stared at her phone for a moment before setting it aside.

“Who was that?” Jordan Kendall asked his wife.

“Tha' be Jason. He wants an introduction with Marla Pearson.”

“Who for?”

“Himself, apparently. Things seem tae be weighin' heavy on 'im.”

“I should go see him,” Brianna Kendall said. “It's been a while and there are some things of Uncle Chuck's that I'd like a chance to go through if Jason'll let me. Mentor might be a little more helpful with what I'm looking for if I'm there in person.”

“Mentor will be no more helpful if you're there than if you're here,” Jordan pointed out. “The only difference that can be made is if Jason tells Mentor to help you.”

Brianna nodded. “Which he'll have a much harder time telling me no if I'm standing in from on him. Besides, sounds like Jason could use a friend.”

“Ye jus' take care. I no like thinkin' of tha' boy as a loose cannon.”

“Relax, mom. It isn't like we're going to raid Uncle Chuck's bar again.”

“That's not funny, Brie.”

“No, but I can laugh about it now. You're not the one that was standing in front of him when he lost control.”

Sunlight flashed off armor, the color sliding between pink and purple as the suit came to rest.

“Jason?” Jessica was nervous seeing the armor standing there.

Smiling, Jason said, “It's okay, Jessica.” He walked around the suit taking in details in the work. “I like how the color is laid on the armor. Reminds me of that car you used to have.” The suit was shorter than him. “I'm not sure your bag goes with it.” A small gym bag was slung over one shoulder and hung below the opposite arm. The figure unslung it and held it out to Jason. He took it.

A modulated voice said, “Breach”. The face plate lifted and seams split down the front of the chest, each arm and leg. Brianna stepped out wearing a full black body suit with purple accents and silvered patches. “Standby mode”. The armor closed itself.

“Nice trick.”

“Yeah. Dad saw it in a movie.” Brie tossed her arms around Jason and squeezed, growling playfully. “And I still have that car.”

“So, what are calling this miniature monstrosity you've created?”

“Now don't you start with that!” Brie kept one arm around Jason and turned to her armor. “I was thinking 'Cavalier'. Dad won't be the only knight flying around.”

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting at his desk, Jason pored over memos and project reports. He signed off on some, rejected others, and wrote questions in others. Over on a couch, using the coffee table, Jessica had her own papers spread out in relatively neat piles.

The intercom buzzed. A glance told Jason it was the reception desk and it was being relayed from Jessica's desk. Jason tapped a button. “Yes?”

“Mr. Scott, there's a woman here that would like to speak with you. A Mrs. Palmer. She doesn't have an appointment.” With the tap of another button Jason's monitor lit up. With a few more tappings Jason was seeing the security feed from reception. Standing at the front desk was Marlene's mother.

“I'll have Jessica escort her to my office.” Hearing her name, Jessica began piling up her papers.

“Yes, sir,” came the response from the intercom.

Jason tapped another button. “Beth.” He watched Jessica walk out.

“Yes?”

“My office.”

“Five minutes.” Jason broke the connection.

By the time Beth got to Jason's office he was standing at the window staring out. He barely acknowledged her presence when she entered. She slipped into his chair, brought up her own desktop on his monitor and resumed her work until Jessica returned with Meredith Palmer.

A flash of sunlight on silver caught her eye. Jason held a chain and was rubbing his thumb on the stone. “You're thinking about her.” Jason nodded and drop his chin. His fingers slipped into his vest pocket and the chain disappeared. “I should have taken that away from you.”

“You're more than welcome to try. You should have let me make you one.”

Beth smiled. “Pass. On both counts.”

When Jessica opened the door, Beth rose. “Hi, Mom,” she said smiling.

“Beth?” Mrs. Palmer gave her a questioning look before looking at Jason. “Jason.”

Turning slowly to face her, Jason greeted her with, “Mrs. Palmer.”

“May I get you anything, Mrs. Palmer?” Jessica asked. “Coffee? Tea?”

“No, thank you.”

“So, what can I do for you Mrs. Palmer?” Jason asked.

Standing a little bit straighter, she said, “You can do for me the truth. Where is my daughter?”

“Mrs. Palmer...”

“Don't give me a repeat of the song and dance you gave me and my husband! Where is Marlene?”

“...please, have a seat,” Jason finished. “Jessica, a pitcher of water and glasses, please.”

“Yes, sir.” Jessica left to get the requested items.

“Mom, please,” Beth said indicating a couch, “sit.” Sighing, Mrs. Palmer sat and slipped the strap of her bag off her shoulder. Beth sat with her.

Looking pointedly at Jason, Mrs. Palmer said, “I used to like you. I want to like you. I need to know where my daughter is.”

“Mrs. Palmer, I didn't lie to you or your husband. I do not know where Marlene is.” Jason sat across from the women. “The last she was seen was in my apartment in New York.”

Opening her bag, she pulled out a journal. “Do you know what this is?” she asked, holding it towards Jason.

“Sandy and Marlene fell in love with the design. Summer between our junior and senior years I got each of them a case of them.” She set the journal on the table between them. “Sandy stored most of hers at the cabin. Marlene was still using hers.”

“I've been keeping Marlene's house clean.”

“I sent a cleaning crew for that.”

“It was appreciated, but it is my daughter's house. I will keep it clean for her. Until she comes home. But this journal,” she tapped the book, “it tells...Marlene wrote about you. It tells about what happened before you left for New York.”

Jason nodded. “And what do you plan on doing with the knowledge you now have? Blackmail me?”

“You, your friends, you're heroes. Why aren't you looking for Marlene?”

“They are. I'm not.”

“What?”

“My friends.” Jason shrugged, “Also Marlene's friends. They're heroes. And if I know them at all, they haven't given up searching for Marlene.”

“But you have.”

Beth reached for Meredith's hand. “Mom...”

“No, Mrs. Palmer, I haven't given up. I haven't stopped looking for her. And I won't.”

Beth gave Jason a guilty look.

“Find her! Whether to marry her or to bury her, you find her! You bring her home! You owe her that much!”

“Then why are you sitting here? Why aren't you out looking?” Mrs. Palmer gripped Beth's hand.

“Because I have responsibilities here. After the explosion I withdrew. A friend gave me some information that gave me a direction to look. And I went. I caught hell from some people for taking off,” Jason explained.

“I was one of them, mom. Jason didn't say anything to anyone. He just disappeared,” Beth said.

Jason gave Beth a quick smile. “That's not exactly true, Beth. Learned a long time ago to leave a trail of bread crumbs. Kris knew where I was. Not necessarily what I was doing, but she knew where I was. When I got more information that sent me elsewhere, she knew where I was going.” Jason leaned forward, forearms resting on his legs. He pressed his fingertips together between his spread knees. “I have a penchant for doing things my own way. We all do, really. We have our own contacts and connections that we foster. Kris, being a doctor, has the medical community. Also others she can reach out to. Other heroes. Some villains.”

With a bang and clatter of the diving board, Jason launched himself into the air. Tucking himself in tight, he did a triple somersault before flawlessly knifing into the water. When he broke the surface, Sharon Anderson said, “Very nice.”

Blowing water from his face, Jason said, “Think you could do better?”

“Better? Probably not. As good, definitely,” she said grinning.

“How about a quad or a quint?”

Sharon laughed. “A quad is possible. If it is a quintuple, I know you're cheating.”

Jason smiled before cocking his head to the side and the smile slid off. He slowly sank beneath the water. Sharon stood up and watched. When Jason breached, his head was tilted down and his eyes were burning. Red reflected off the surface.

“Who is it?” Sharon asked.

Hauling himself from the pool, Jason said, “Jennie. She's terrified.”

“I'm coming,” she said. Jason only nodded in response.

“Give me five and then make some noise.”

Pulsar nodded. “Skylight or the bay door?”

“Dealer's choice,” Huntress told him. “Sync up.” Pulsar's ear piece pinged and he nodded.

“Front skylight. Cleaner line of sight. I don't want to hurt Jennie. And I want to know where Beth is,” he said.

Huntress nodded. “No one runs off with one of my students,” she said with a tight smile. “Do me a favor.” Pulsar looked at her. “All the buildings are roughly three stories, give or take a floor. I need a pivot point.” She popped the grapple end of one of her batons free and held it out to him.

Pulsar took it. Keeping his power muted, he began to fly slowly, angling towards the warehouse. “Signal when you're ready for me to go in.”

“Will do.” Ignoring Pulsar, Huntress watched the telemetry in her HUD. When it switched from red to green, she threw herself off the roof. Pulsar kept moving forward. Her HUD adjusted for the movement. She hit the apex of her swing and clicked the grapple's release. Pulsar might lose some skin when the hooks retracted, but he'd heal fast enough.

She did a forward roll and came up on her feet. Huntress closed her eyes and listened. No cries of alarm went out. She smiled. She missed this. She had to admit that to herself. The grapple end of her baton snapped back into place. Huntress holstered it at her back.

“Camera on,” she said. [REC] appeared on her HUD. The quick reconnaissance they had done earlier showed them a glass door and a balcony at the back. Huntress figured that would be her way in. Swift and silent, she moved towards it. Looking down, the balcony held a table and chairs. A grill stood off to one end. She dropped down, landing silently. The door was open, leaving only the screen door in place.

“We got your girl. There was a complication. She wasn't alone.” Hearing a man's voice Huntress paused and listened. “Kinda had a problem with your unharmed requirement. Bashed her head a bit. No. Look, man, I'm no doctor. Her friend is taking care of her. You wanna get a doctor for her go ahead. I'll tell you where and me and my crew will just disappear. Don't want to hear that. You owe me and my boys regardless of whether or not you see any money. Otherwise we come do you. Or your mom, your kid, your dog. You understand me? Good. Do your thing and we'll be in touch.”

“Go,” Huntress said quietly.

Pulsar dropped. A quick burst from each hand blew out the skylight and part of the roof. He didn't care. It wasn't his building. His priorities were Jennie and Beth.

Entering the building, he noted the main floor housed some shelves deeper in, and closer to hand by the bay doors were two newer model black SUVs with bullbars, and a big rental truck. Parked between the SUVs and the rental was Beth's car.

He turned his head to the side seeing a man moving closer between the shelves. “Shotgun,” he said.

Peeking in, Huntress noted the man held the phone in his left hand. Most likely the man was right handed. Experience told her that he would turn to the right when she came in if she made noise. She was reaching for the door when Pulsar's warning came through. Followed by the muted blast of the shotgun.

Her target pulled an automatic pistol from a shoulder holster under his jacket. Huntress crashed through the screen, throwing a baton that ricocheted off a cabinet and into the back of the man's head. Dazed, the man tried to level his gun at her. She caught his wrist, kicked high to the man's back, and rode him to the floor. The man cried in pain when his shoulder dislocated.

The light from the shield flare died away, the pellets from the blast having fallen to the floor. Pulsar lifted his hand and released a crimson burst with his fingers spread. His target flew the length of a shelf before hitting the floor hard. Pulsar had reined in his power so as to not go through the man.

He made a flying pass of Beth's car. The back end of it was crumpled. The airbags had deployed. Paint and body were ruined down the length of the driver's side. Blood smeared the door window. A look inside the truck made clear it was empty. Paint matching Beth's car ran along the left interior wall.

Twin bursts slammed into the SUVs, sending them tumbling across the bay. Pulsar headed deeper into the building.

“Call 911. Give them our location. Shots fired. Guardians involved.” Loud noise came from below and Huntress could only wonder what Pulsar had done to cause it. “Give me IR.” No immediate heat sources lit up. She bound her first target, grabbed his gun, ejected the magazine, and tossed them in different directions. “Penetration on the IR, please.” She moved silently down the hall.

Something moved at the end of the hall and Huntress ducked back. Automatic fire ripped through the walls. She heard the click of a magazine being ejected, and she ran. The snap of a new clip being inserted and the click of the first round being fed to the chamber came when she was about halfway down the hall. A figure stepped back into the doorway in time for Huntress' booted foot to catch them in the chest.

Rounds ripped through the wall and ceiling as the dark-clad figure flew back. Huntress advanced. The woman, even through the IR flare of her HUD Huntress could see it was a her, rolled backwards and tried to bring her gun up again, only to find Huntress in front of her. Huntress kicked her again.

Huntress kicked the gun away from the loose fingers that weren't quite holding it. She rolled the woman over and bound her wrists and ankles.

“I've got two.”

“One,” Pulsar responded.

“Floor plan.” The IR switched off and the warehouse's floor plan lit up. Her position and Pulsar's lit up on it.

“Jennie is above me.”

“Noted. They should be together. One of them is injured. The other taking care of. Two staircases. One elevator.”

Power screamed, something crashed and the building shook. “No elevator. It's Beth. Jennie isn't hurt. I'd know.”

“Stairs?”

“I'd rather go through the floor, but not without knowing where Beth is. North stairs.”

“I'll take the south.”

Entering the stairwell, Pulsar flew up to the second floor, bypassing the landing. There were two figures covering the opening to the south stairs. Pulsar lifted his hand. A third figure spun out into the hall and a shotgun barked. Pulsar slammed back into the wall.

A dark stain appeared on the shotgun wielder's pants when Pulsar advanced. His healing factor pushed bloody pellets out to bounce down the stairs. “Shit!” was all he managed to say before a crimson lance blasted into him.

“Two. Two by the landing.” A canister spewing smoke bounced off the hand rail and spun into the hall.

Another assailant crouched low in a doorway. They brought their gun to bear and opened fire. Pulsar produced a shield that took the brunt of the fire.

Huntress snapped a mask into place over her lower face and gave the puker time to disperse. When she heard the two people Pulsar had indicated puking and coughing, she moved. Sliding down the hand rail to the landing, she leapt through the entry. Stepping on one gun, she kicked it backwards to clatter down the stairwell.

Her still-armed target took aim with teary eyes and squeezed off a round. Huntress staggered a step back. “Ow!” Pulling a baton free she slammed it down on the outstretched arm. The gun fell from numbed fingers.

“You okay?”

“Armor held up, thanks,” she said, pulling cuffs from a pouch. “You're first, shooty.” She slapped the cuff on the arm she had hit. The man groaned. “Aw, does that hurt?”

Dropping his shield at the same time his target dropped his gun and pulled a knife, Pulsar moved in. “You have got to be joking.”

The man took a couple of wild swings with the blade while motioning Pulsar closer with his empty hand. “C'mon! C'mon! I'll cut you!”

“You obviously missed the shotgun and Pulsar show.” Bringing a hand up underhanded, Pulsar let loose a blast that slammed the man into the wall.

A shot echoed through the hall, sending Huntress' gas swirling. “You okay?” he asked her.

“Armor held up, thanks.”

Cocking his head to the side, Pulsar drifted through the doorway into a break room. Tables, chairs, vending machines, coffee pot, and microwaves all took up space around the room. There was an open door to the right. He headed towards it.

A man stepped through, dragging Jennie along, using her as a shield. A handgun was pointed at her temple. Power flared around Pulsar's hand. “Ah! You do anything, bro, and chickie gets ventilated.” Pulsar tamped the power down and held his hands up. “That's good, bro. See, I aim to get out of here alive. So I take this one with me and let her go somewhere down the line.”

“How are you planning on leaving?”

“Huh?”

“Sorry, bro. Do I have to speak slower or something? How are you planning on leaving?” Pulsar asked.

The man smiled, showing a few metal teeth. “SUV downstairs.”

Behind his mask, Pulsar smiled. “Hate to break it to you, homie, but I trashed both SUVs before heading upstairs. The only thing they are good for is a salvage yard.”

Huntress listened as Pulsar talked and made her way through a door to her right. The room was another break room; tables and chairs, coffee pot, and microwave. No vending machines. The floor plan showed that Pulsar was two rooms away. An open door to the left beckoned her.

“Then I'll take the girl's car!”

“Oh, yeah, that's a no-brainer. Police won't ever be able to find a car that needs new paint on the driver's side.”

Keep him talking. Huntress took a quick glimpse into the room. A storage room with cleaning supplies. Beth laid out on the floor. A folded towel was under her head and a bloody, damp towel lay beside her. Blood slowly seeped from a gash on her temple, matting her hair. Except for Beth, no one else was in the room.

Then I'll take the other truck!”

You planning on driving? I checked. That truck is a stick. A hand on the wheel, a hand on the stick, no hand for the gun.”

Then the girl can drive!” The man was getting desperate.

Can't drive a stick,” Jennie blurted out.

Sounds like checkmate, bro,” Pulsar said.

Huntress smiled and stepped closer to the man. She pressed the end of her baton against the base of the man's skull. “My friend happens to like beautiful women. One of them is already injured. That's one strike against you. Let the girl go and hand me the gun or I guarantee you will not be getting out of this alive.”

Shit!” Huntress pressed a little harder. “Shit,” he said again, quieter. He raised his hands, freeing Jennie, the pistol hanging off a finger by the trigger guard. Huntress took it.

On your knees. Hands behind your head.”

Phaedra

Slipping from the back of the limousine, Jason shouldered a worn leather messenger bag. He lifted the flap and checked the contents again. Sketchbook, pencils, a book from the New York museum, a print of Wagner's Lady in Blue from the same museum, other odds and ends from his drawing kit, a leather bound journal that matched the leather of the bag, and a white confectioners bag resided within.

She likes liquorice,” Jason had read in his grandfather's journal. “Do not gift it to her. Gifts bring obligations. Instead offer it as payment for her time and the fact she agreed to meet with you, if she does, in fact, appear.”

Jason had wondered at the way his grandfather had written it. As if he knew that he himself would never use it to call her.

“I don't like this.”

Smiling at Knight, Jason said, “You never like it when I go out to sit in the sunshine.”

“It isn't that,” she said. “I just have this feeling that someone is tap dancing on my grave.” Behind her sunglasses, Sharon Knight's eyes scanned the garden. “I'll do over-watch. Dragon, you accompany Mr. Scott into the garden.” Al Porter nodded. “Jake, you stay with the car.”

“Yes, ma'am,” Jake Randall replied.

Chuckling, Jason said, “All this for me? I'm touched.”

Knight shot him an annoyed look. “Dr. Tyler and Miss Parks made it very clear that we are guardians of you and they do not want you running off like you did in the Spring trying to start a war. Sir,” she added as an afterthought.

“They never let me have any fun.” His hand slipped into a smaller pocket in the front of the messenger bag. His fingers brushed the cool metal of the leaf within.

Slinging the messenger bag over his shoulder, Jason said, “Let's be off then.” He set off at a comfortable pace into the garden. Al followed, his gaze constantly shifting from place to place looking for any who might seek to do harm.

Jason took in the hedges and flowerbeds without really seeing them. “I'm going to sit on the bench over there by the cherry trees. Still have some blossoms,” he said, quirking a smile.

“Yes, sir.”

Making his way to the bench he had indicated, Jason sat. Opening his bag, he pulled out his grandfather's journal and set it on the bench. Next he pulled out the metal leaf. He wasn't sure how it would work. His fingers closed around it, his eyes slipped shut. Need calls, Actery had told him.

One problem he had wasn't that he wasn't sure who he was calling. His grandfather's journal gave him an idea, but Silas Scott never actually put down her name. In the journal, places where a name would be were simply initials. Either a “P” or “WW”.

Need calls. What did Jason need? It was the need for answers that had pulled Actery to him, or so Actery said. That need still existed. What had happened to Marlene and Angelique? Where had they gone?

In his mind he saw Marlene lying on her belly on a blanket, legs raised and ankles crossed. She was barefoot. Her eyes flashed in the sun and she smiled at him before looking away. Beside her, dressed in pale blue, lying on her side, propped up on one elbow, was Angelique. They were talking, occasionally darting glances at him.

Without realizing it, Jason reached out and set the leaf on his grandfather's journal. His other hand fished out his sketchbook and a pencil. Opening his eyes, he flipped to a fresh page and began to draw. He wanted to hold on to that image of Marlene, capture it, and stay in that moment with her. He lost himself in the activity, not thinking. Just doing.

You have some talent.”

Jason blinked. His eyes refocusing on now. Judging by the shadows some time had passed. “So I've been told.” He turned to the speaker.

Her hair was long and dark. A rich shade of mahogany. Her eyes were disconcerting. At first glance they were completely white except for the pupil. Jason realized they were a pale shade of blue. Her lips were rouged, kissable. Jason forced that thought down hard. She gave him a mischievous smile as if she had been aware of his thought.

Her gown was white. Almost painful to look at. The collar was square with embroidery work, flowers and vines, running around it. Her belt looked like a garland. She looked small, svelte, lithe, ephemeral. But Jason sensed strength there. And power.

She took up the leaf. “I never thought to see this again,” she said. Her fingers ran over the leather of the journal. “Silas.” Her eyes darted to Jason's. “Your grand-sire.”

Yes.”

What is it you want?” Taking the white bag out of his messenger bag, Jason set it on the journal. “I cannot accept gifts without first knowing what it is you want.”

It is not a gift. It is payment for your time and your effort to come.” She smiled. Something in that smile reminded him of Angelique. “I am looking for someone. Two people actually. They were in one place and then they simply vanished.”

With long slender fingers she opened the bag. “Liquorice!” She grinned. “It has been a long time since I have had any.”

My grandfather said it was your favorite in his journal. I hope the payment is adequate.” She smiled at him and slipped a piece into her mouth. As Jason stared at her chewing the confection he noted similarities in her facial structure, the line of her nose, the curvature of her chin. “You're her mother,” he said quietly.

She swallowed hard. “I should have known an offshoot of Silas' would be quick witted. Do you know who I am?”

Smiling, Jason said, “Pieces are slipping into place for me rather rapidly now.” He took the book from his bag. He opened the book to a page he had marked and set it on the bench. “You're the White Witch. You helped the Allies during World War II.”

Nodding, she said, “That was a long time ago. The artifacts and power your Axis gathered were dangerous not just to this world.”

My grandfather worked for the war effort.”

She smiled at a memory. “That was how I met Silas.”

Jason pulled out the print of Lady in Blue and set it on the open book. “I don't even know what to call you. 'White Witch' seems to be a mouthful.”

Phaedra.

Jason stared. “Mind magic. Telepathy.” She bowed her head. Tapping the print, he said, “This was done before you knew my grandfather.”

“Yes. You know my daughter?”

Jason gave her a real smile. “Intimately. Angelique knows me in ways only a few others do. She is one of the two people I'm looking for.”

May I?” Her hand raised towards the side of his face. “Will you share my daughter with me?” Jason's eyes narrowed. Then he smiled and nodded his assent.

Her touch was delicate, her fingertips were cool against his brow. Jason remembered the first time he had met Angelique all those years ago. A warehouse in Queens. No. Don't direct. Let it flow. He was pulled to the memory of New Year's Day. He had hosted a party for a model he had met at a workshop. Angelique was there. She had agreed to play hostess with him.

So, how much did all this cost?

A smile.

Arthur. Jason's memory was pulled from Angelique and focused on a man in the background.

Arthur Kayne. He had been at the fashion show the night Jason first saw Leah.

Yes. You know him?

“We met briefly. At a fashion show where I met someone that means a great deal to me,” he admitted to Phaedra.

He goes by another name.

So, what does the hostess get paid for her services?

What do you have in mind?

Reaching out, Angelique took hold of Jason's tie, slid a leg to either side and straddled him. She

looked him in the eyes before leaning close and nipping his bottom lip.

“No!” With Phaedra slipping through his memories it was as if he weren't remembering, but experiencing everything anew. With his body reacting to every touch and caress.

Be at peace, dragon. Your charge is in no danger. A song began that Jason did not recognize.

Phaedra's touch left him.

Awkward.”

I am sorry. I thought that when you said that you were intimate with my daughter that you were speaking as others do. That she was your friend.”

Awkward.”

I am sorry.”

I have never had anyone walk in on me while I was... Ah... Much less the lady's mother.” Phaedra laughed. Glancing at her, Jason noted the encounter had affected her as well.

You love my daughter.”

Yes.”

But you are not in love with her.”

No.”

Phaedra smiled. “I am sorry. I had not considered that you and my daughter were lovers.”

Feeling his body beginning to relax, Jason said, “We...were. I don't know if you're aware of the term 'friends with benefits', but once we became friends that is about the best way to describe the situation Angel and I found ourselves in.”

You are bound to my daughter. There is power between the two of you that is not hers.”

Nodding, Jason said, “I did that. Angel needed something to know that I did trust her.” Looking closer at her. “There was a bond between me and Angel. There was a bond between Angel and Anton. Until she severed it.”

Did she?” Phaedra grinned. “Interesting. If we had more time I would ask about that.”

Let's just say she helped me when I was in a bad way. Repaying the trust I showed her.” Jason stretched his neck. “But through Angel I am bound to you the same way her father was. That's why my memories of my intimate encounters with her affected you.”

Tipping her head forward, she raised her eyebrow with a smile. “But this other who is missing. Leah? Marlene?”

Marlene.”

What is she to you?”

Everything,” he said quietly.

Setting the leaf back on the journal, Phaedra took the bag of liquorice. It disappeared into a fold in her gown. “Return home, Jason. They are found.”

What?” Jason stood up and watched Phaedra step into nothing and disappear.

After long moments Jason looked down. Another useless lead with very little information. He goes by another name. “Arkayne,” he said quietly. All he needed now was a way to find the old man.

He slung his bag over his shoulder and gathered his belongings. He stopped to look at the drawing of Marlene and Angelique. He closed the sketchbook and slipped it in the bag.

Who was that?”

Jason cocked an eye at Al. “Something wrong?”

She sang to the dragon.”

Jason smiled. “Doesn't surprise me. A long time ago she was known as the White Witch. She's Angelique's mother.”

Did she say anything?”

Yes, she told me...” Jason's hand went to the side of his head with his fingers splayed. Al caught him before he hit the ground.

The barn was dark and silent. Marlene moved slowly and carefully. “Jason?” she asked quietly. Silence answered her. In the dim light she saw the chest Warren had made sitting on his worktable. She pulled the cord on the hanging light. With things easier to see, she made her way to the stairs. “Jason?” she called quietly again.

Crimson light flared and died down. She moved carefully up the stairs. Jason sat lotus position with his back to the closed loft doors. Power flared bathing the loft in its crimson light. Marlene saw Jason's fist clench tighter and his hands turn, only to open, turn back, clench again. He kept repeating the motion.

“I...” Marlene was unsure how to begin. After having spent hours in Jason's mind, sifting through his memories, she knew how he had hurt with her disappearance and the lengths to which he had gone trying to find her.

When Trese had told her what had occurred between Jason and herself, Marlene had blamed Trese. Having witnessed it from Jason's point of view, Marlene knew he blamed himself far more than she had ever blamed Trese.

“I saw you fight the other day. With Bloodbath. I thought you were fighting stupid.” Jason opened glowing eyes. He stared at her, unblinking. “Beth pointed out you were protecting someone.”

Mentioning her name, Marlene had a flash of a memory of Beth laying on Jason's desk. Beth sat up and put her foot in Jason's lap. Marlene watched as if through Jason's eyes as he slipped a shoe on Beth's foot. Her fingers tingled with the sensation of the cool nylon on Beth's ankle. The strap went around and Jason drew the buckle down. A jolt shot through Marlene.

“She may experience Jason's urges without Jason's inhibitions.”

Geez. Should I be thankful Beth isn't standing beside me?” she asked herself. “Can you not do that? It's really disconcerting.”

Jason closed his eyes without saying a word.

Marlene saw herself laying in Jason's bed smiling at him. He moved to brush a lock of her hair aside. She faded away. A memory of a dream?

I'm sorry. Of course you can look at me. I heard... Warren said you thought you lost me again. You didn't lose me. I realize I haven't been fair to you, but I needed time. You deal with this kind of strangeness. Sometimes on a daily basis. I have always been a bystander. Pay the bills, hear the stories, but this has been the first I've been in the middle of it. I had to come to terms with what happened. Why would you think you lost me?”

Slowly, Jason extended his left fist to Marlene, fingers up. He peeled his thumb and index finger from the fist and held them like he was measuring a small length. The crimson flash refracted through the facets of a diamond. To Marlene it was like a hundred laser pointers all fired off at once. Until the flare died.

My ring!” Marlene was relieved. “Where did you find it? I thought I had lost it. I was terrified to tell you.”

Bathroom.” Jason's voice was rough, stressed.

What did I do to you?” she asked quietly.

Jason folded the ring into his palm and closed his fist around it. He lowered his head and closed his eyes. His power flared again. In the light of it, Marlene was unsure if he was angry or in pain.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving the rest of the way into the loft, Marlene sat before Jason and crossed her legs. “What's wrong?”

Control. Must regain.”

Must regain your control?” Jason nodded. “I'm sorry. I didn't know.”

She thought she saw Jason smile at her. “Not your fault.”

I don't hate you. I know that was something you were afraid of, but I don't hate you. I think in some ways I understand you better now.” Marlene moved closer until her knees were almost touching his. “I realize you were scared and worrying about me, but I won't be anyone's prisoner. Not even yours.”

Lifting his head, Jason opened his eyes. “Sorry.” Marlene smiled.

I wish you had taken me to the plane when I left. We could have talked more.”

Jason dropped his head again. “Didn't think...”

You thought I didn't want you to. I know. When you let me in did that go both ways? Were you able to see my memories?”

“No. Wouldn't.”

Good, because I have something to tell you and I would have hated to have you find out like that. To find out that I didn't tell you something important. I should have already. I meant to. When all this happened we were going to go out to dinner. You were going to take me dancing and I was going to tell you when we got back to the loft. I thought that we'd get the fireplaces lit up and a comforter on the floor and you would hold me and then I'd tell you that I was pregnant.” Jason's eyes shot up. Marlene felt tears rolling down her face. “I'm sorry I didn't tell you after.”

When?”

Kris is saying March.” Marlene pulled the zipper down on her running jacket. “Baby bump showing.”

Jason reached out toward Marlene's belly. His hand began to glow. He made a fist and pulled away. “How?”

Smiling at him, Marlene said, “We made love.”

Reaching out to her again, trying to touch her face, Jason's hand began to glow. The closer he moved, the brighter the glow around his hand grew. Closing his hand, Jason pulled back.

Kris thinks that it is all your fault. Her idea is that with all the fun and games we had, you somehow healed the damage from when I had the mumps.” She laughed. “So, it is all your fault that I could get pregnant and it is all your fault that I am.”

Jason tried again. When he closed his fist, before he could pull away, Marlene reached out and touched his arm. “I'm not afraid.” She lightly drew her fingers down his arm and over his wrist. “You won't hurt me.” Jason's hand opened. The pad of her middle finger crossed from his wrist over the heel, to caress the palm. The flare faded. She gently took his hand.

Rain hammered the roof above the porch. Headlights cut through the predawn dark and the rain. In the light Warren was better able to see the holes Jason had blasted in the ground. When the old farm pickup rolled to a stop, Warren flipped up the collar of his work coat, and grabbed the thermos off the porch rail. He trotted down the steps and opened the passenger door of the truck. He passed his father the thermos.

Need to take care of something first.” He closed the door and grabbed a spade from the bed of the truck. He made quick work of filling the holes. Once the rain let up and everything dried out he'd probably need to add more dirt to smooth it out. He tossed the spade back into the truck and opened the door again.

You alright? You look kinda tired.”

Long night. Didn't sleep well. Or much.” During the night Warren half-expected to hear a crash from the barn. When the first roll of thunder broke and woke him, that was what he had thought happened.

Ben popped the top of the thermos. “What happened?”

Warren shrugged. “Long story. I'll tell ya once we get started, but I need to check something in the barn first.” Warren closed the door and headed towards the barn.

Someone had closed the door against the rain. Warren used the pedestrian door and slipped inside. He took his cowboy hat off and shook the water from it. He hung it on a peg. Someone had turned on his work light. Warren listened. Movement, quiet steps in the loft were barely discernible. He went up the stairs.

A shadowy figure moved through their forms. Jason was meditating while doing katas. From time to time power would flare dimly around Jason's hands. “You okay?”

“Better.”

“But not...”

Jason shook his head. “Not yet.”

“Marlene?”

Jason indicated a figure curled up in a blanket laying on the couch. “Everything okay between the two of you?”

“Working on it.”

Moving closer, Warren said, “I was worried I'd be repairing or rebuilding my barn.”

Jason chuckled. “Not like we haven't done that once or twice already. Sorry about the holes.”

Warren shrugged. “Holes can be filled. Dani explained. I guess I never really thought about why you don't drink. I just assumed it was a personality quirk.”

“It wasn't something I ever wanted to go into.”

“Maybe,” Warren said. “Maybe it would have helped us understand you a bit better. Marlene forgave Trese and Kris. Slept with Kris?”

Jason hung his head. “Long story.”

“Seems to be a morning for them,” Ben said from the stairs.

Kill him!

Power flared brightly. Warren watched Jason. Rage crossed Jason's face. He closed his eyes, closed his hands into fists. Jason slipped into a stance and began slowly doing a kata.

• 3 weeks later...

Consciousness returned slowly. Wherever he was smelled heavily of water, much like an indoor pool only without the heavy odor of chlorine. Water dripped slowly nearby to splash in a small puddle. Jason was strung up spreadeagled. A small improvement over his memory of kissing concrete. His shirt was gone and he was chilled. A minor annoyance.

He opened his eyes to darkness. There was nothing across his eyes, but an added weight made him think of a helmet of some kind. He reached out with his other senses. Beyond the dripping water he heard nothing. Under the scent of water Jason smelled filth. Not the stench of an open toilet, but that of dirt, neglect, and possibly unwashed bodies.

Jason released his power only to find it blocked. He wasn't collared, so he probed. His power flowed only to be stopped at the point of release. He smiled. Tharian negators. A chain rattled, link against link.

He's awake,” someone said. Fire lit up his back sending a charge up his spine. Jason writhed.

Godson stop!” a woman's voice cried out.

You know what he is!” Another blow fell.

Better than you! I know who and what he is. We brought him here to help.”

It's a hell of a way to ask for help,” Jason managed to spit out. “I swear to God if that neural whip strikes me one more time I'm going to get loose and shove it up the ass of the person swinging it.”

Do you know who I am?” the woman asked.

You sound like Kris Tyler.” He heard her laugh. “You laugh like her, too.”

By now you realize how you're being held. Do you trust me?”

I trust Kris Tyler with my life.”

How did he know it was a neural whip?” another man asked.

Melner. I know what it is because I've been struck with one before. And if that is Kris Tyler she can tell you what I did to the creature that was wielding it.”

It wasn't a pretty sight. I would suggest, Godson, that you put it away before he does exactly what he said he would. Jason, I'm sorry. This isn't how I wanted this to be, but the others wanted assurances. I am going to release you. Please, leave the negators in place for the time being.”

Release me and I'll consider it.”

Jason heard her laugh again. “Fair enough.”

Jason sensed movement before him and behind. The chain rattled again and his arm fell heavily. Followed by the other. “I can't believe you're doing this,” Godson said.

If we want his help we have to ask nicely,” Kris said. “Release his legs.” Jason raised his hands to the helmet only to find someone else's hands already there. Together they lifted it off his head. “Hello, old friend.”

Jason looked at her. Her dark hair was streaked with gray. Laugh lines and worry lines covered her face. Her eyes were still clear. “Old? How?” The helmet was an old flight helmet. The visor had been painted black. Kris set it aside.

Kris wrapped her arms around him. “I've missed you. As for how I got old, well, the passage of time does that. At least to us normals. We pulled you forward in time. Melner remembered the accident when you were testing the transport device. We used that.”

Jason held her close. “What happened to your wing?”

It's a long story. One that we'll have time for later.”

Melner, I hate to break it to you, but we weren't testing the transporter. You are the accident that happened,” Jason said. “And proved Leah right. We find a way to send me back and you'll be lucky if I don't fire you.”

Yes, sir,” Melner mumbled.

A figure walked past, tall, muscular, brown curly hair. Jason's eyes narrowed. “Godson.”

Asshole.” Godson walked through a hanging plastic curtain that separated where they were and whatever lay beyond it. “She let him loose,” Jason heard him say.

Alright, let's say I believe what you've told me so far,” Jason said, releasing Kris. “What do you need? How can I help? How do you plan on sending me back? And what's the bug up his ass?”

Alright, let's say I believe what you've told me so far,” Jason said, releasing Kris. “What do you need? How can I help? How do you plan on sending me back? And what's the bug up his ass?”

Kris waved off Melner and two others. They followed Godson. “We need a lot of things,” Kris said. Heading towards the curtain, Jason stumbled. “Are you okay?”

Double jolt from a neural whip. At least I didn't fall.” Kris gave him a curious look. “Never show weakness to an enemy.”

He isn't your enemy. He's damaged. Most of us are.” She led him through the curtain. On the other side, it looked like a shanty town built up inside a warehouse or a factory. People were scattered about. Some looked at him with curiosity. Others with anger or hatred. All of them looked ragged.

Where are we?”

Los Angeles.” She went over to an old woman. The woman held up something to Kris who took it. “Thank you,” she said with a nod. The old woman smiled. Turning back to Jason, she held it out to him. “Here.”

Jason took it. It was a dark, loose corded sweater. When he pulled it on the sleeves covered the negators. “It's seen better days.”

We all have. Hoping that we'll see some in the future.”

So, what happened?”

As I said, it's a long story.”

Jason stopped. “Kris, at some point all these 'long stories' need to become 'tales told'. You ask me to trust, and yet for all I know, Mind Warp could be playing games with me.”

That would be a neat trick considering he's dead. After the sun sets we'll go to a place higher up so that you can see for yourself before I tell you the tale.” Jason took a deep breath and held it a moment before releasing it. “Have patience. Please.”

Jason nodded.

Doc,” Godson said approaching. “They need you in the infirmary.”

All right. Let's go.” Kris headed off increasing her pace. Jason made to follow.

Godson blocked his path. “Where do you think you're going?”

With her.”

I don't think so.”

Godson, we've got two lashings from a neural whip between us. That already puts you on my bad side. I doubt you want to find out what I'm capable of while I'm wearing these negators. You sure as hell don't want to find out what I'm capable of if I choose to take them off.”

You can't. It isn't possible.”

Jason loomed closer. Godson had three scars on the right side of his face. The uppermost began just below his eye and ended at the bottom of his chin. His eyes were gray. “If it isn't possible, then why did Kris ask me to leave them in place? Now, get out of my way.” Godson swallowed hard.

Looking up when Jason entered the infirmary with Godson in tow, Kris said, “Keep the mask on for now. Increase the flow the notch. Godson, a word if you don't mind.” Kris turned and went to the far end of the room.

Godson shot a look at Jason and followed Kris. “Doc?” he asked when he joined Kris.

“You know why he is here. Stop antagonizing him. You are very lucky he trusts me enough to restrain himself.”

“I don't like him,” Godson said defensively.

Shaking her head, Kris said, “You don't know him. I want you to watch him.”

“For you?”

“No. For you.” Kris turned and walked back to where Jason stood.

“What's wrong with her?”

“Some of the kids were playing somewhere they shouldn't have been. They messed with something they shouldn't have. I've got four kids with chemical burns. I had them sent to the showers and their clothes, what was left of them, burned. Kira here got a face full. Her sinus linings and esophagus are burned. Probably her lungs, as well.” Kris turned to Godson. “I need another oxygen tank.” When she turned back to Jason he had one held out to her. “How? The negators?”

“Learned a long time ago,” he said, smiling. “What was she dosed with?”

“Exactly, I don't know. Not all hazards are properly marked anymore.”

Kris watched Jason run his fingers through the girl's hair. Her eyes fluttered open and then went wide. “Hi,” he said. The girl mumbled something, tried to scream, and ended up spitting blood.

“Get her on her side!” Kris watched the monitor. Kira's stats jumped and dropped. “Damn. We're losing her!”

“Get a bucket half-filled with water.”

“Why?” Godson asked.

“Get it!” Kris ordered. “What are you going to do?” Jason smiled, reached across and trailed one finger down the side of her face. “Damn. You don't know what effect it will have on you.”

“Kris,” he said, “I do know what effect not trying will have on her. Hands off...”

“...until you release her. I remember the drill.”

“I've got your bucket,” Godson said, coming back in. “Where do you want it?”

Jason grabbed a rolling stool. “Set it on here.” After Godson had done so, Jason slipped his hand into the tepid water. He slipped his other hand on Kira's back under what passed for her hospital gown.

“What's he doing?” Godson asked.

“Helping,” Kris answered without glancing at the man. Jason coughed. Blood rolled down from the corner of his mouth. Kris glanced at the clock on the wall. “I hope it doesn't take you down before your body starts dealing with it,” she whispered.

“How do you feel?”

Jason was sitting on a bed. His arms, braced as they were to hold him up, were shaking. “Like I'm short of breath.”

Kris nodded. “Neat trick shunting it into the water.” Jason nodded. “Lie down for a while. Let your body deal with the damage.”

“How is she?”

Kris smiled. “She's fine. Don't be surprised if some people come calling wanting you to lay hands on them.”

Jason rolled himself back on the bed. “We talked about that a lifetime ago.”

“I know. Rest.”

Jason awoke. He was still lying in the infirmary. Curtains had been drawn around his bed. He saw an eye peeking between them. He smiled.

“Hi.”

The eye disappeared, the gap closed. Kris pushed through. “How do you feel?”

“Better.” He saw Kira looking around the edge of the curtain, her eyes wide. “Hi, Kira.”

Turning to the girl, Kris said, “Come on in. He won't hurt you. He helped you.”

“Some of the others, they said he was going to hurt us and call in the monitors.”

“Well, in order for me to do that, first I would have to have reason to hurt you. And second, I would need to know who the monitors are. How are you?”

Kira came closer and looked from behind Kris. “Better. Why did you help?”

Jason smiled at her. “Because you would have died if I hadn't.”

Kira looked at the floor.

“Jason, how did you pull that tank out? With the negators on you shouldn't have been able to.” Kris handed him a bottle of water.

He cracked the lid and drank it down. When it was empty he put the lid on it and handed it back. “The negators keep me from throwing the energy. They don't stop me from doing things internally with it. I can still pull things out that I have stored away.” To demonstrate his point, he appeared a drawing pad and a charcoal pencil. He flipped open the pad and began to draw.

“What else you got socked away?”

Jason glanced up at her. “Looking for anything in particular?”

“Supplies.”

Jason nodded. “I have a lot of the medical supplies you asked me to carry.”

Kris smiled. “I hoped you did. Can you start pulling them out? I can probably use just about everything.”

“I appreciate it.”

“The way I see it that was all under your purview. I was just holding it against the obvious need you have here.”

Smiling, Kris said, “I feel like I've got an honest clinic again.” On the wall next to the door it indicated they were on the 46th floor. “This should be high enough. After all, we need to walk back down. Too much higher and we risk stumbling into some of the evil overlords.”

Jason looked down. Godson was following, always staying one landing behind. “Evil overlords? What happened?”

The floor of the building they were on seemed to be office space to Jason. There were still a few desks and cubicle partitions. Most of them laying on the floor. Pulling something from a pocket, Kris handed it to him. Jason found them to be compact electronic binoculars. She flicked them on. “Take a look out there and tell me what you see.”

Jason brought them to his eyes and began scanning outside. “What am I looking for?” He shifted position, moving closer to a blown out window.

“Stay in the shadows.”

The binoculars registered something in the distance. A reticle bracketed the item. Numbers appeared at the bottom of his view, indicating the distance. The view automatically zoomed in. “Son of a bitch,” he said quietly. “That's a Tharian monitor ship.”

“We estimate there are around one hundred of them just in the LA area. We can't get an actual read. The ships move. There's no way for us to mark them. You know how that goes,” Kris said.

“What are they monitoring for?” Jason asked as he pulled the binoculars away. His gaze fell on the negator. “Warbred,” he said, answering his own question.

“Yes,” Kris affirmed. Jason handed the binoculars back to Kris. “Keep them.” She moved back towards the stairwell. “Sometimes the first indication we have of someone going through realization sickness is a monitor appearing overhead and a squad kicking in the door.”

With a last glance out the window, Jason followed. “Okay. Major question. What are they doing back? They weren't supposed to come back at all.”

“Apparently having one of the people that was responsible for them not being allowed here inviting them back steps around their whole honor thing,” Kris answered as she went down the stairs.

Jason stopped. “Invited? What small-minded, inbred, asstard invited them back?”

Kris turned back, giving Jason a pointed look touched with some amusement. “You did.”

Kris set a mug in front of Jason and took her seat. “We don't know what happened or when. It was small things at first. Things easily overlooked. And then there came a day when I guess we all realized that you had stopped looking for Marlene. You and Leah were spending time together again. We figured you had just decided it was time to get on with your life.”

Jason pulled his mug closer. “I haven't given up looking. It's been two months for me.” He took a drink. “Gah! What is this?”

Quirking a smile at him, Kris said, “It's what we have that passes for coffee.”

“It passed through something unhealthy.” He closed his eyes for a moment. Lifting his hand off the table a box appeared under it. He pushed that over to Kris. He did it twice more.

“Tea, coffee, and, ooh, hot chocolate! Although you're apt to get me robbed if people find out about this.” She took both mugs and dumped their contents into a sink. “The fact that you haven't given up tells me we got to you early enough.”

“I don't...didn't have a lot of leads. There is...was...times that the depression was overwhelming.”

“Present tense is fine. You're still dealing with it. I'll understand. Preference?”

Jason shook his head. “Let's leave the major issue aside for now. I'm still trying to figure out why I'd contact the Tharians and invite them back. Killing Dargod was enough.” Jason thought for a moment and then looked at Kris. “He is still dead, right?”

“As far as I know. The main problem here on Earth is the Praetor and his guard.”

“How do you survive?”

“Scavenging and barter, mostly. There are food depots. They do give us enough to make sure the accounted for bodies survive. There are clinics, but they are interested in monitoring the populace. Who is pregnant, who is good breeding stock, how many warbred pop out. That's their primary goal. More warriors.” Pouring hot water into the mugs, Kris said, “If we had a way to get in touch with whoever they're fighting...”

“Why me? There are a lot better options to choose from. Why pull me forward?” Jason asked.

Kris returned to the table and slid his mug back in front of him. “Honestly, because Melner remembered the accident. That gave us a window. We don't know of when something might have happened to someone else that we could have used. If Leah had been closer, we would have gotten her, too.”

Appearing a sketchbook and a pencil, Jason opened it and began drawing. “How many capes are there still active?”

“If they weren't captured, killed, or otherwise neutralized, they've all gone to ground.” Jason glanced over Kris' shoulder. “Yeah, neutralized.”

“How did that happen?”

Kris toyed with her mug. “Early supply raid. As you can see, I lost most of the wing and my ability to fly. With only one wing I wasn't deemed attractive enough for the Praetor's harem. And only being the chick with one wing, I wasn't considered enough of a threat. They let me go to serve as an example to anyone that might consider rebelling against the new order.”

“You sure that it was me?” Jason asked, leering at her and waggling his eyebrows.

She laughed. “Like I said, we don't know what happened to you or when it happened.”