Snippets

Greywind

With one leg tucked under and the other stretched out, Leah sat comfortably on the sofa in Jason's office. She peeled the plastic wrap off another tray of eye shadows. Giving the different powders another inspection she placed the tray in the makeup case beside her. She had already put the brushes in their respective places.

Next on her agenda was the box of lipsticks. Pulling the overwrap off, she flipped open the lid. One hundred glorious colors, of which some she'd never find herself caught dead using on her own, but she never knew what the photographers had in mind. She began dropping those in one by one into the rack meant to hold them.

On stockinged feet, Beth stepped into Jason's office. Leah gave her an appraising look. She had a stack of files in her hands, a pair of three inch black pumps with an ankle strap dangled from her fingers. Hanging from one shoulder was a bag. Her skirt was black or a dark gray. Without a closer look she couldn't really be sure. Beth's blouse was red satin. Around her neck and tied with a wide bow was black ribbon tie.

Beth's hair was loosely curled, a change from when Leah saw her earlier. She either spent a lot of time with a curling iron or she had recently been to see a stylist.

Setting the files and shoes on Jason's desk, Beth turned to the cabinet where glasses and drinks were stored and opened a drawer. Out of it she pulled out a makeup mirror. She took that and set it on the desk. The bag slipped from her shoulder and that joined her collection.

“Hi, Beth.”

Startled, Beth jumped. “Oh! I'm sorry, Leah. I guess I'm a little distracted. Trying again?”

For a moment, Leah looked hurt. “No. We're just working on our friendship. Just back from the stylist?”

Hand going to hair hanging over her shoulder, Beth said, “Yes. I have a...”

“Date?”

“Not exactly. Just dinner with an old boyfriend.”

“So, all dressed up for not a date?” Leah asked with a smile. “You're a far cry from the slacks and blouse you had on earlier.”

Pulling her makeup kit out of her bag, Beth blushed. “Oh, I hate this part.”

“What part?

“Warpaint, as my daddy says. I'm always afraid I'm going to end up looking like the Joker. Or worse. Putting on makeup was never really my thing.”

“Maybe I can help?” Leah tapped her makeup case.

“What's that?” Beth asked.

“A gift from Jason. New makeup case. Freshly fully stocked as of,” Leah slotted the last lipstick, “now.”

“That's a suitcase,” Beth pointed out.

Leah laughed. “Actually, it is a makeup case. Professional quality. It's for when I have to do my or another model's makeup.”

“You girls actually do that?”

“And more if necessary. Would you like me to do yours?”

Beth looked at her makeup kit and shoved it back in her bag. “Please?” She wasn't begging or whining, but her tone was close.

Leah picked her case up, legs extended, and set it next to Jason's chair. Beth looked over the contents. “That's a lot.”

“That's a major job expense. Have a seat.” Beth settled in Jason's chair. “Hmm. Raise it up a few inches, please.” Beth did so and sat back down. “Perfect. Color palette?”

“I...don't know. Can you just do some magic and make me beautiful?”

Leah made a face, closed her mouth tight and shifted it to the side. She closed her makeup case. “You don't need me to make you beautiful.”

Beth smiled. “How about making it look like I didn't lose a fight with my makeup kit?”

“Let me see your kit and what you normally use. Then we can go from there.” Beth pulled her makeup back out. Leah looked it over. Beth's normal colors were from a natural, neutral tone. “Hmm. How impressed do you want him to be?”

Beth exhaled and thought for a minute. “I'm not sure I want him impressed. I'm not sure about anything right now. I never expected to see him in California. Much less in the boardroom giving a presentation. An invitation to dinner wasn't expected. I'm not really sure why I asked him.”

“Oh?” Leah said with a smile. “Carrying a forgotten torch?”

“I'm not sure I'm carrying anything. He cost me a job when I needed to be working. Things ended badly between us. Then I got lucky and Jason wanted me to work for him.”

“And he's never regretted that,” Leah said, applying makeup with a brush.

“Thanks. I guess we should have talked more before.”

Leah shrugged. “I got the impression you didn't like me.”

Looking hurt, Beth said, “I'm sorry. I like you just fine. As a person. I just didn't think you and Jason...”

Leah gave Beth a sad smile. “I guess you didn't get caught up in the magic.”

“I don't understand.”

“Close your eyes. Eye shadow time.” Leah worked deftly with the brush. “Let's just say someone gave Jason and I a push closer together. The same person that helped separate us.” Leah felt herself coming to tears. “The same person that arranged the Witch to be in close proximity to Jason when he was emotionally vulnerable,” she said quietly.

“Marlene didn't like that, either,” Beth admitted. “What are you doing to me?” she asked to redirect the conversation.

Leah smiled. “What you asked.”

“What color?”

“I'm just about done. So, feeling confident yet?” Leah teased.

Beth growled. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Your lipstick. If you're feeling confident I have a color in mind. If not, then I have a different color in mind.”

With a sigh, Beth said, “I've trusted you this far with my face. Do what you're going to do and I'll pass judgment when I see it, I guess.”

“Fair enough.”

Beth felt the applicator move across her lips.

“Are ye ready?”

“Aye,” Jason responded.

Irish gave him a look that mixed annoyance and amusement. “Alright then. We're waitin' on ye.”

Jason stepped into view where Trese could see him and took off his robe. The only thing he had on was brief briefs. Trese's eyes went wide. Jason was ripped. His muscles had muscles. “Geez,” she said quietly.

Ye keep starin' at 'im like that, Theresa, an' it'll go ta 'is 'ead,” Irish teased. “Okay. Step inta the scanner and let's get started.”

Maybe Theresa ought to step out,” Kris said.

Kris,” Jason called. Kris looked at him through the window. “She stays unless she chooses to go.” Kris looked at the girl for a moment, and then back at Jason and nodded.

Jason stepped into the scanner. “Powerin' up. Keep yer hands an' head inside the ride at all times,” Irish said.

It wasn't me,” Jason said. “It was the one-armed man!”

Ya, after he stuck 'is hand out where the scanners be spinnin', what ye expect but ta only 'ave one hand?”

Trese watched the boards light up. “This is cool.”

He's put on a little weight since last time,” Kris said. “Heartbeat is good and strong. Blood pressure is in the green.”

Those numbers can't be right,” Trese said.

They all be within his normal parameters,” Irish said. “Looks good, Jason.”

But...”

Just wait a wee bit, Theresa. Maybe ye'll unnerstand. Changing up, Jason. Let's see how the matrix is doin', shall we?” Irish threw a switch and the room went dark except for the light from the scanning bars rotating around where Jason stood. Those went from blue to red.

Trese didn't know what she was looking at. Something coursed through the bodyform on the monitor. “Can ye call some up?” Whatever it was shifted to Jason's feet and hands. Trese glanced out the window and in the dark it looked like Jason was above the scanner. Her eyes darted to the screen that had held Jason's vital stats and his weight had dropped to zero. “Any problems this time?”

Just an itch. Might have to get Kris to race me to the beach.”

Kris laughed. “You know my wings can't keep up with you.”

They walked slowly along the Seine. Stephen had draped his jacket over Angelique's shoulders against the night's chill. She had slipped her arm in his. He hadn't seemed to mind. They had met in Paris for dinner. The Eiffel Tower the backdrop out the cafe's window.

A part of Angelique wanted to think it had been a romantic dinner. In her many years, she never truly had been romanced. They talked. They talked about the things they knew in common. He talked about his apprenticeship to Arthur Kayne. She talked about her mother and the time they have been spending getting to know one-another.

After dinner they began walking continuing the conversation. They had lost track of time. The sky lightened with the pre-dawn twilight.

“I do hope, dear lady, that you don't think I am being too forward. I really enjoyed your company. I would like to do this again sometime.” Angelique smiled. “Sometime soon.”

“I believe I would like that, as well,” she replied.

His fingers caressed the side of her face, brushing her hair back. “Bright Lady, you are beautiful. Knowing who your mother is explains much.”

“Are you going to keep teasing me, Stephen? Or are you going to kiss me?”

“I didn't want to presume.”

“Presume, Stephen, or I may have to rethink doing this again.”

He smiled. Stepping close he slipped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer. His other arm went beneath his jacket and slipped about her waist. Their lips met. He kissed her tenderly. Angelique fought the urge to return it with a more demanding kiss. She was willing to take things slowly.

Angelique's eyes went wide. Her preternatural senses all alerted her to danger.

“Bright Lady! Did you feel that?”

“Yes,” Angelique answered. “It was a calling.” Her hand moved, calling up power. A globe appeared over her hand. It spun until the western hemisphere was visible. A flare lit near the Rocky Mountains. “Closer,” she told the globe and it zoomed in. “Closer.” She pointed out on the globe, “I think that's Denver.”

“Denver is more north and east of the mountains. That is in the mountains. You're right, though. It was a calling. The One Who Watches.

That's a mouthful.” Angelique dropped the spell and the globe dissipated. “Your portal or mine?”

Stephen was already calling one forth. Angelique thought it strange the way he shifted into his Arcane persona. No emotions. Just thought and action.

Who do we know in that area?” he asked.

Angelique felt a tugging around her neck. She looked down to see the bloodstar glowing. “Jason Scott.”

• 2 weeks later...

And this is the pool.” Jason opened the mini-fridge and took out a bottle. “You want something to drink?” Trese nodded. Jason stepped out of her way while holding the door open so she could make her choice.

Marlene was busy coating herself with sunscreen. Beth was reading something from an SE brief. Both wore bikinis. “And if the urge to skinny dip strikes you, Marlene can give you pointers.” Marlene quirked a knowing, teasing smile at Jason.

That's really not my thing,” Trese said.

You could take your t-shirt off and get some sun,” Marlene said.

I'm comfortable,” Trese mumbled. Marlene simply smiled. Movement caught Trese's eye and she watched a blonde go off the diving board. The blonde tucked in and did a double somersault before hitting the water badly. When she broke the surface she slammed her hand down on the water and yelled her frustration.

Dani, what are you doing here?” Jason asked.

Dani dove under to the ladder and pulled herself up. “Spending time with my mom.”

Both Jason and Trese looked around to see if they had missed anyone. “So, where's your mom?” Jason asked.

She's in LA. One of her students has a match this weekend. She wants you up there. Hey! How come you get to bring home strays?”

For starters, she isn't a stray. She's a guest. Theresa, this is Danielle Anderson. Dani, this is Theresa Gardner. The next point, this isn't your home.”

It is when I'm here. Chuck said so.” Dani stuck her tongue out at him.

And the last time you brought strays here it was both the men's and women's basketball teams.”

Dani pouted. “Yeah? And? It improved my chances for a date.”

And as I recall you never made it off the bench that season.”

It wasn't for lack of me trying.”

Jason nodded his chin towards the diving board. “Trying to work on your form?”

My form is just fine. It's the landings,” Dani said.

Jason,” Beth called.

Make yourself at home,” he said to Trese before heading over to see what Beth wanted.

Dani smiled. “Take your shirt off. Enjoy the sun and the pool.”

I'm fine,” Trese said.

Come on,” Dani said, grabbing hold of the hem of Trese's shirt and tugging on it.

I said no!” Purple energy poured from Theresa. It slammed into a table sending it flying. Chairs tumbled in its wake. Dani, closer to the source of the event, went flying back into the pool. Trese paused, looking much like a deer in the headlights, and the power faded away. Then she broke into a run, not knowing where she was going.

Go!” Marlene called out. “I'll get her!” Jason ran after the girl. His longer stride more than a match for her rapidly pumping legs. He slowed his pace to a jog.

Marlene dove into the pool, angling towards Dani. Dani floated below the surface. When Marlene got to her and rolled Dani over, a single large bubble broke from the girl's mouth and raced for the surface.

Pulling her up, Marlene swam for the shallow end. “Give me a hand,” she called to Beth. Beth met her in the water, chest-deep. Marlene got her legs under her and the two of them pulled Dani to the steps. With Dani on her side, Marlene opened the girl's mouth. Beth compressed Dani's stomach and water came out of her mouth.

Dani coughed. “What? No mouth to mouth?” She coughed again, bringing up more water.

That was quite a scare, Dani,” Marlene said gently, smiling.

Oh. I can't believe I got blindsided by a rookie.” Using the handrail, Dani pulled herself to her feet, further aided by Marlene and Beth. “Where did she go?”

Cemetery. Are you okay?”

Dani nodded. “I will be. I guess I should have listened.”

Maybe,” Beth said.

If she's anything like me, she's probably terrified right now,” Dani said, punctuated with a hacking cough.

Jason followed her.”

I'm going after her.” Dani started off towards the woods, stumbling a step or two.

You need help?” Marlene asked. Dani just shook her head. Her steps became more steady, but she never broke into a run.

Kira's game of cat-and-mouse with Jason continued until he went down a blind alley. She waited. She waited with the impatience of youth. She crept up to the corner and looked around. Jason was nowhere in sight. Kira walked into the alley and looked around, scratching her head.

Unless Jason buried himself in one of the piles of refuse he wasn't in the alley. Movement caught her eye and she looked up. “Got you,” she said to herself. She examined the piles. “If I go up that one I can grab hold of that pipe. Shimmy over to that other one. Maybe I can jump to that platform. Then I can use the old ladder to go up.” She grinned.

She began her ascent. At first she found it fairly easy, but as she got higher the piles became more unstable. Debris would shift and threaten to take her down with it. Making her way to the first pipe, things got easier for her once she had hold of it. She shimmied along it, eventually reaching the second pipe. She pulled herself up and sat on it to rest.

Kira looked up and caught sight of Jason looking out with something held up to his eyes. He took a bite of something and Kira's belly rumbled. “Time to go,” she said. She stood up on the pipe and began measuring the distance, slowly working up the nerve to make the jump.

She leapt out into the void, stretching for the fire escape, and squealed when she realized that she wasn't going to make it. Looking down she saw the piles below coming at her.

Something broke her fall. An arm was wrapped around her chest. Looking up, she saw Jason hanging from the bottom of the fire escape platform. “No dying,” he told her.

“And that's pretty much the story,” Jason said. He sat between Marlene and Leah. Both women had their legs drawn up, knees pointed towards Jason. He had a hand on the leg of each. Neither seemed to notice or care.

“Sounds like a delusion,” Brad said.

“It is a bit far-fetched,” Warren said. “Even for us.”

“Jason, who is this?” Kate turned the sketchbook around so he could see.

“Kira. Aaron watched over her. And the other younglings.”

Ash looked at Jason in thought. “What happened to your other self?”

“He... His body was destroyed.”

“That was the flare that was on the news that day?” Warren asked. Jason only nodded. “And the flares you sometimes exhibited?”

“Bolt reconfigured the absorption device that he used on Leah last year. Attuned it to my power. I used it. After that it was a matter of me containing too much power. Some of it was bleeding off. Some of it had to be discharged.”

“You were still having that issue before the wedding. This seems...”

“Far-fetched?” Jason added.

“Yeah.”

Lisa moved and opened the double doors wide. Lightning crashed right outside. Rain was still hammering down. Cool air swept in. The fire roared as it if were trying to escape up the chimney.

“I don't want it to seem like we're doubting you, but with your artistic talent you could just draw anything and say who it is,” Ash said.

“Jason disappeared for the better part of an hour,” Leah said.

“But to where? Honestly Jason, do you have something else that might be evidence?”

Jason looked at her. “Catch.” He whipped his hand towards her underhanded. A crimson flash brought a cylinder into being arcing through the air when it left his hand. Ash caught it. She released the mechanism and it extended, the tines folded out.

“Hydron,” Ash said.

“If that isn't sufficient, I also have Elyse's honor blades in her harness.”

“That is an interesting story, Jason,” old Joe said. “But that isn't all you brought back. Is it? You said your enemy's body was destroyed. Not killed. He is inside you along with the power you absorbed.”

Jason's hand shot up. A crimson lance blasted towards the old Indian. Only to be intercepted by Trese's shield. “He's still fighting!”

“How can you tell?” Brad called.

“Because my shield held!”

Warren took all of it in. He still had time to think. This was why the sheriff had come. To warn them. You may have to fight him.

Warren slammed into Jason, shoulder into his gut. He carried him out into the storm, realizing that Lisa saw this all coming. That was why the doors stood open. He released Jason. From Warren's speed, Jason kept moving away.

Warren's fist shot up into Jason's jaw.

• 2 weeks later...

Angelique paid little mind to the conversation at the table. Occasionally she would glance at Stephen and wonder. She gazed at Marlene and Jason, and, strangely to her, actually felt happiness for them. Jason was showing Marlene something below the table's level. Marlene had a questioning look for it and then glanced at Angelique. Marlene's face lit up with a smile and she said something private to Jason. In turn Jason glanced up at her and smiled as well.

While she watched, Jason stood up and began tapping his glass with knife. People quieted and started looking at him. “If I could have everyone's attention, please.” The remainder of guests fell silent. “Thank you. Normally at times like this there are gifts. Marlene and I asked for nothing beyond your presence, with which you graced us. While there are some here that weren't expected,” or invited he left unsaid, Angelique glanced at Stephen again. “All have been made welcome by our hosts.

Normally, gifts would be given by the groom to his groomsmen. Lucky for me I only required Warren. Marlene, on the other hand, what with Beth, Trese, Dani, Ash, Kris, and Leah, is an entirely different story.” People laughed.

But there is one person here that I would like to do something for. One person without whom neither Marlene nor myself would have been here to start this new chapter.” Jason stepped around his table toward the center of the tent. “I'm not done yet, but if you will excuse me for a few moments, I won't be long.” He walked out of the tent.

Everyone began wondering, murmuring, questioning each other. Warren leaned over to Marlene and asked. Marlene smiled and simply shook her head. Beth whispered something in Marlene's ear from the other side. Again, Marlene shook her head.

Bright Lady,” Stephen said under his breath. Angelique turned to see what he was looking at. Jason was escorting a woman with long brown hair, pale, almost white eyes, and gorgeous. The gown she wore was a white so bright it was almost painful to look at. Even in the shade of the tent. A garland was about her waist. Her gown appliqued with vines and flowers about the hem, neck and sleeves.

I met this dear lady a little while ago. I had been searching for some answers to some questions and she was helpful enough to supply me with some of them.” Jason brought her closer. “The answer wasn't what I had asked for, but it was the answer that I needed at the time.”

Stephen stood and dropped to one knee. “Stand, Stephen. You did my bidding well.” Her voice was like the wind passing through the leaves.

Angelique, this is Phaedra,” Jason said.

Hello,” Angelique said with a smile, not knowing who this woman was.

Hello, daughter,” Phaedra said with a smile of her own.

A glass shattered. “What have you done?” Anton raged.

The smile fell away from Jason's face and he turned slowly to face Angelique's father. “Made your life a little more interesting, I hope.”

Phaedra turned to face Anton as well. Her voice then was like the freezing winds of winter carrying snow and ice. “The pact is broken, Lord Darque. Through no agency of mine I have met my child. We are quit.”

Anton glared at Jason. “We aren't done.”

Need I remind you, sir,” Kate said standing, “the agreement between you and I that allowed you to be welcome here? Nothing you learned here today is to ever be used by you.”

The staff spun easily in Adalene's hands as she went through her forms. It was thicker than she was used to using, but it was straight and balanced. Meditation while going through her forms was difficult.

Did you have anything to do with my mother's death?

She answered that honestly. No, she had nothing to do with the death of Stacy Lane-Scott. Arthur Kayne took responsibility for that. She was surprised that Jason hadn't killed him outright. It was only that he had sacrificed his own life to safe Angelique's that gave him that small respite.

Sandra Wilson was another story.

Did you have anything to do with her death?

She had answered that she hadn't, but was that really the truth? Compulsion was never good magic to use to begin with. It was an area of magic that wasn't within her strengths. The “love spell” she had used did what was intended. Made the two of them fall in love with each other. To keep Jason and Marlene separated.

Further she had used similar magics on Jason's friends to reinforce keeping them apart. She used them and still they call her friend.

If you don't mind me being blunt, Darque, both you and my predecessor were idiots. I went back over Arthur's journals on the matter when this whole affair was brought to my attention. I studied the charts. I ran the numbers. I looked at all the signs. Those two were never the ones that should have been kept apart. His parents were. And Arthur pretty much forced them together, too.

Adalene brushed sweat-sticky hair from her forehead with the back of one hand. Damn you, Stephen. And thank you. Now all she had to do was come to terms with herself.

Fall in the mountains and it was hot. Beth had loaned her a sports bra, Marlene running pants with a matching jacket. She had pulled her shoes out of a portal before she was admonished about no powers at the cabin. She had taken the jacket off when she started to get heated. The thinner air wasn't helping her any either. She'd been trying to find her inner balance for well over an hour.

With an apron on and flour on her hands, Jen went to the door to answer it. She opened the door to find a young man on the other side in jeans, t-shirt, and a “Mick's Garage” ball cap.

“Hey, Billy.”

“Jen. You're back?”

“No. This is a projection from next week. Obviously, I'm back. I got in yesterday.”

“You've got flour in your hair. And on your face.” Jen wiped her face with the back of a flour-covered hand. “Now you've got more.”

“What can I do for you?”

“I've got a delivery.” Jen glanced out the door to see the pickup truck with closed trailer attached.

“My dad's out in the barn.” Jen pushed a button beside the door that rang the buzzer in the barn.

Billy smiled. “It's for you. Not your dad.”

“Oh.” Jen stepped outside.

Handing her a clipboard, Billy said, “Sign here.” She did where he indicated. “And,” he flipped a few pages, “here.” She signed that, too.

“What is it?” her father asked. “William,” he said with a nod. “I didn't order anything.”

“No sir. It's a delivery for Jennie.” Billy passed Jen a thick manila envelope and turned to the waiting trailer. He unlocked the trailer and lowered the ramp before disappearing inside. A few minutes later, he rolled a Ducati Diavel 1260s down onto the dirt.

“Oh, wow,” Jen said quietly. “It's mine?”

“You did just sign the delivery papers,” Billy said with a grin.

“You're not keeping it,” Ben said.

“Dad...”

“No. No rebellious teenager routine. It's going back. William, roll it back up.”

Jen opened the envelope. The first thing she pulled out was a note and began reading. “It's from Mrs. Anderson.” She flipped through the rest of the papers. “The insurance is in here. Jason paid it for the year.”

“I don't care,” Ben said.

“Dad, I'm keeping it. I'm not rebelling. It's a gift from Mrs. Anderson and Jason.”

“You'll need to be trained on how to ride it. You'll need to get it added on to your license.”

Jen smiled. “I can ride it. Mrs. Anderson taught me. Along with that other thing. I got what I needed in California and I intend to go to the DMV Monday to get my license updated.”

Ben looked at his daughter for a long moment. “Why did you have to grow up so fast?”

Ben looked at his daughter for a long moment. “Why did you have to grow up so fast?” Jennie smiled at her dad, wrapped her arms around him, and buried her face in his chest. Ben's arms went around her and held her tight.

“Whoa, almost missed it,” Warren said, coming around the front of Billy's truck. Warren held a package in his hands. “What do you think, Sis?”

Jen came up for air and looked at Warren tears streaming down, and she smiled. “I love it!” Warren held the package out to her. “What's this?” she asked, stepping away from Ben when his arms loosened their grip.

“Me protecting my little sister as best I can,” he said.

Jen took the package, set it on the porch and lifted the lid. Inside were biking leathers. She pulled the jacket out. It was black with gold lightning running down the arms. She turned it around to look at the back. On the back was sewn an image that reminded her of the necklace Jason had given her. A red compass rose bracketed by wings.

“I'm out of here,” Billy said. “Enjoy your ride, Jen. See you at school.”

They all waved as he pulled out.

Jennie smiled. Her fingers traced the lightning on the arm. “You?” Warren nodded. “Jason and Kris,” she said holding the back of the jacket to him.

“Yes. There should be a certificate in there from Ash to get your boots.”

“What about a helmet?” Ben asked.

“That may be the box that came from Leah,” Mary said from in the house.

Ben looked at Warren. “You knew about this?” Warren smiled and shrugged.

Mary brought the indicated box out and handed it to Jen. She put the jacket back in the box in came out of it and took the other from her mom. Warren passed her his belt knife to cut it open with. Reaching in she removed packing first.

What she lifted out was custom made. It was painted metallic purple. She turned it and as the light on it shifted, it looked like there were bolts of blue lighting streaking across the purple field. Around the base of it flames danced.

Jen looked at Warren.”Trese, Leah, and Dani?” Warren nodded. “They're all looking out for me.”

“That's not all, Jen,” Warren said. He reached under the chin and pressed a stud. A HUD lit up across the smoked visor.

“Hello, Jen.”

“Mentor?”

“Jason has allowed a part of me to monitor you, with your permission. Along with the fully functioning HUD, there is a built in GPS. You can link your phone directly into the helmet if you wish. There are safety overrides in place so that nothing will make it impossible for you to hear, say like a police siren behind you. There is a camera mounted at the front of the helmet just under the visor. There is another that records what is behind you and that will show on the HUD as well.”

“I don't know what to say,” she said quietly.

“Put the helmet on,” Mentor told her. She lifted it up and the helmet split, allowing her to easily put it into place. The HUD switched off and was replaced by a montage of everyone that had contributed to her gift.

“We realize it's a bit early,” Leah said. “But...”

“Happy Birthday!” they all said in unison.

“Oh, wow! Thank you all. So much.”

One by one the connections were unmade until only Leah and Sharon Anderson were left.

“I heard you were a big hit in the corporate world,” Leah said.

Jen smiled. “Jason said I could come back if I wanted to. After graduation,” she added.

“That's great, Jen. See you soon.” Leah went dark.

“I hope it fits,” Sharon said.

“Yes, ma'am. I haven't tried it on yet, but it looks perfect. Thank you.”

“Remember what I told you?”

“Never start a fight. I won't forget.” Jen smiled.

“Good girl. Be ready to ride the next time you see me.”

“I will. Thank you.”

Senior year. First day of school. Jenevieve Asher rolled her bike back against the curb where all the other bikes were parked. The stand went down and locked into place. Jen turned the key and pulled it free.

Climbing off the bike, she pulled an empty backpack out of a saddlebag.

“Hey, Jen!”

Looking to see who called her, she saw Billy coming to her. She waved.

“Sweet ride,” Billy said when he got to her. “You're dad let you keep it?”

Jen released her helmet and pulled it off. “Obviously. Let's just say the support in my favor was overwhelming.”

“Ready for our last year?” he asked.

“Last year? Maybe here, but I've got college-bound plans and maybe have a job lined up,” Jen said. “But I'm more than ready to move on from this place.”

“I think I'm going to be at Mick's for a while,” Billy said. “So what did you do all summer?”

Jen smiled. “Ran away from home. Lived in a mansion with a billionaire. Was put to work. Finished out my Junior year with a four-point-oh GPA. Oh, and met the cast of The Nightwraith at the Hollywood premiere.”

Wow. You really lived in a mansion with a billionaire?” he asked incredulously.

Jen gave him an amused look. “Yeah.”

Wow.”

He didn't...”

Didn't what? Try something?”

Yeah.”

Billy, I swear. Jason is like a brother to me. You've met him. He spends time with Warren and Kate. And my parents.”

Him? He's rich?”

Jen bumped he shoulder into his and gave him a slight shove. “Just shy of filthily so.”

Billy smiled, “Yeah, well, if I were loaded and had a hot teen staying at my place...”

You'd be in jail,” Jen said with a straight face.

Maybe after, but what gets me there would be a lot of fun,” he said with a grin.

Boys,” Jen said with a shake of her head.

Jen Asher!”

Jen looked around and saw a teacher near the door. “Yes, Miss Chambers?” Her and Billy approached. The teacher was an attractive brunette woman, maybe thirty. Standing in the shade, she had her sunglasses pushed up into her hair. She wore a sleeveless shirt, a skirt, and sandals against the summer hear.

Miss Chambers handed her a slip of paper. “Your locker assignment and the combination to the lock. Did you get my email?”

Yes, I did. I already started on it. It helps that I kept some journals.”

Miss Chambers smiled. “Good. How was your adventure?”

Exciting. Terrifying. And lots of other things all at the same time,” Jen said grinning.

I look forward to reading it when it is done,” Miss Chambers commented with a smile of her own. “Billy, you need to check in with your homeroom teacher to get your locker assignment.”

Yes'm,” Billy said. They went into the school. “Who do you have for homeroom?”

Jen looked at him like he was an idiot. “Who just gave me my locker assignment?”

Oh. She's hot.” Jen stopped and just looked at him. “What?”

No.”

No what?”

Billy, I do not need to know about your high school teacher fantasies. Okay? Oh, shit.”

Billy looked serious. “Language in the school, Miss Asher,” he said deepening his voice.

Something I can do for you, Amanda?” Jen asked the leader of a group that approached her and Billy.

So, you came crawling back.”

Crawl? Hardly. What do you want?”

Oh, I just figured we'd pick up where we left off when you ran away,” the girl sneered.

Healthy advice, Amanda. I'm not the girl I was last year. Do not start your shit with me!” Even Billy stepped back from Jen.

Oh, really, bitch?”

Jen grinned. “Try me and see. Bitch.”

When nothing happened Jen made to push past. Amanda grabbed her shoulder. Jen twisted and ducked. The incoming punch was caught solid on Jen's helmet with a crunch. Amanda screamed, holding her hand.

First day of school, first person into the infirmary,” Jen said. “Let me know when you're ready for round two.” Jen looked at Amanda's followers. “Anyone else want to follow her into the infirmary?” The group parted so she could pass. “I didn't think so.”

• 2 weeks later...

Putting the others in the room from his mind, Jason focused on the older man laying in the bed. He focused his mind on the task he had been asked to attempt. He sat upon the side of the bed and took the man's hand in his. His other hand Jason placed on the man's chest, his fingers finding contact with skin through the open pajama top. “Mary, you're going to have to let go,” he heard Kris say. He closed his eyes and let his power flow.

Jason felt the warm sun on his face and a cool breeze ruffled his hair. “Hello, son.”

He opened his eyes. “Hello, Ben.”

The Winchester rifle barked in the hands of the memory of Ben. “You trusted me that day.”

“I did.”

“I hope I never gave you cause to regret it.”

“Never.”

“That thing that was inside you, it wanted you to kill me.”

“Yes. You made a demand of me to protect Jen. It didn't like that. It tried to corrupt the link I made with her.”

“And that was the cause for all the blood?” Jason nodded. “But even then you protected my girl.”

“I had to. I gave you my word unconditionally.”

Ben looked down. “And I went and put a condition on it. I'm sorry.”

“Don't be. We do what we have to for family.”

“And that's what we are.”

“Ever since you accepted me.”

“Ever since that first meal you cooked for us on my wife's stove.” They shared a smile at the memory. Looking up, Jason watched himself lift his hand and the crimson lance shot out to shatter the memory of a bottle. “I have a favor to ask, son. I realize it's a lot to ask and it isn't fair to you.”

“Ask, Ben. Let me weigh whether or not it's fair.”

Ben looked at Jason and smiled.

Crimson tears rolled down Jason's face, colored by the power bleeding from his eyes. He took a heavy breath. His hand on Ben's chest turned palm up. “Mary,” he whispered. “Take my hand.”

Mary reached out tentatively to slip her hand in Jason's. Jason exhaled and went back to work. He felt the surprise from the others as, one by one, he pulled them in through their shared links. Ben was holding on to Mary.

“Thank you all for coming. I don't have a lot of time.”

“Dad...”

“It's okay, Warren. I've had a long life. A good life. I have a wife that loves me. I've raised you all as best I could. You've given me a grandson.” Warren was surprised to see Aaron in his wife's arms. “I watched, I saw the great things you all accomplish. Sometimes daily.”

“Daddy?”

“I'm sorry, Jennie. This is the way life is. The old pass on and young get old. Someday, when you have your own kids...”

“But Jason was supposed to heal you,” Jennie said. “I don't want you to go!”

“I asked him not to try. It's my time, honey. Don't blame, Jason. I asked if he could let me say goodbye.” Jennie ran to her father and buried her face against him. Even here her body was wracked by her sobs. “I'm proud of you. All of you. You're my family. You're all my kids. Even if you came into my life late.”

“Pa!” Aaron cried out. Kate looked up at Warren. The two of them approached Ben. Kate passed Aaron over to Ben, Mary giving way.

“My boy,” Ben whispered, pressing a kiss to the boy's forehead. “Be good. Like your daddy.”

Bracketed by Marlene on one side and Leah on the other, Jason slipped to one knee. Marlene dropped down beside him and held him.

Ben passed Aaron to Mary. One arm draped around Jen and the other pulled Kate close. “My girls. Take care of each other.”

“We will,” Kate said, putting her own arm around Jennie. Jennie looked up at her father. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.” The girls stepped away.

“Dad, I...”

“I know, son.” Warren stepped into his father's embrace. “Lightning has a lot left to do. Starting with that son of yours.” Warren looked at his father. “I'm proud of the man you've become.”

Warren stepped away and one by one the others came forward to say their goodbyes. As they did, Jason released his hold on them and they faded away. When the others were gone, leaving Ben with his immediate family, Marlene, Leah, and Jason, Ben looked at Leah.

“You take care of him.”

“I will. Goodbye, Ben.” And Leah faded away.

Jason's hold became more tenuous. Warren and Kate faded out, taking Aaron with them. Jason's other knee hit the ground.

“It's getting harder on him. I love you, Jennie.”

“Bye, Dad,” she said as she faded out.

“Marlene, you take care of him,” Ben called out.

“I will, Ben. Thank you for everything.”

“And you take care of your girl,” Ben said with a smile.

“Girl?” Marlene asked. Then she too faded away.

“It's just us now, Mary. I'm sorry for all the arguments and the bullheadedness.”

Mary held her husband one last time. “You wouldn't have done anything any different,” she said smiling. “I'm going to miss you.”

“I love you,” Ben said. Mary faded from his arms. “Thank you, son.” And then Ben was gone.

“Goodbye, Dad,” Jason whispered.

“So, where are you going on your honeymoon?” Kate asked.

Marlene waved the thought away. “I'm still dealing with the aftereffects of a nine-month unexpected leave of absence. It will be a little while before we can really go anywhere.”

“Yes, but any ideas?”

Smiling, Marlene said, “Lot's of ideas.” Playing with the setting of her stone, she pulled the key out. “First thing is to figure out where this goes.” Kris hid her smile by taking a drink. “Then, maybe change out the silverware, redecorate the mansions.” The key slid back into her necklace.

“Mansions. Plural,” Jason said. Marlene smiled at him.

“It isn't like the New York mansion sees a lot of use. One or two parties a year,” she said.

“I don't know,” Adalene said. “Jen, Lisa, and I have been getting a lot of use out of the libraries. I think we've maybe cataloged all of a quarter of the basement.”

“The efforts you're putting in are appreciated, Addie,” Jason said.

She smiled. “Oh, I'm getting quite a list going of books I want to borrow.”

The sound of a motorcycle was heard in the distance. “Speaking of Jen,” Kate said.

Jason chuckled. “Wrong Jen, Kate.”

“Oh.”

“Although, I probably could have given her that task, too,” Jason said.

Warren laughed. “Bad enough you had her and Stacy go through all your paintings. If you had her going through your mom's library she'd still be chained in the dungeon.”

“You have to admit,” Kate said. “It seems like the summer was good for her.”

“For the most part,” Beth said quietly. Marlene reached over and took her friend's hand. Beth smiled.

Jen rolled the bike to a stop, popped her helmet off and hung it from the handlebar. “Hey, Little One. How's my favorite office gopher?”

“I'm good,” Jen said coming up the steps. “I thought you guys would have headed off by now.”

“Beth and I have to be back in the office tomorrow,” Marlene said.

“And some of us will be taking our leave shortly,” Stephen Langford said.

“Jason, can I talk to you? I have something I'd like to ask.”

“What's on your mind?”

Jen took a deep breath. “Well, there's this girl.”

“Girl not you I assume.”

“No. Not me. I know you don't want everyone to know about...,” she glanced at Stephen.

“Just say it, Jen,” Jason prompted.

“Well, I know you don't want everyone to know how you can heal. Demands, privacy, and having a life and all that. But this girl...” Jason's face was blank and his eyes bored into her. The last time he looked at her like that was the day she showed up unexpected in California. “Her name is Amanda Burns.”

“She got involved in some ugly stuff, Jase,” Warren said.

“You knew about this?” Jason asked without taking his eyes off Jen.

“Most of us did,” Kris said. “The only stipulation we had was that she had to be the one to ask.”

“What, exactly, did she get involved in?”

Jen leaned back against the porch rail. “The group that I told you about, Mandy was one of them. The first day of school she tried picking a fight with me in the hall. She ended up with a broken hand.” Jason's eyebrows went up. “It wasn't me, exactly. I dodged. She hit Mentor.” Jason nodded. “This group they got involved with something.”

“Demonbone,” Adalene said.

“Bright Lady,” Stephen said. “He's a real piece of work.”

“You keep bringing her up and you'll be my mother's favorite in no time,” Angelique said.

“Second favorite. Jason gave her something I never could.” Angelique smiled. “Anyway, I don't really want to know how those kids got involved with him.”

“You've dealt with him, Stephen?” Adalene asked.

“Damage control only. Slippery little bastard got away. He has an item of power. From time to time it needs to be recharged. His preferred method of doing so is teenagers and or mature women that he convinces are neglected.” Jason gave him a questioning look. “Orgies.”

Jason closed his eyes and rubbed his brow. “What happened to the girl?”

“It wasn't just an orgy, Stephen. It was a summoning.” Adalene turned her attention to Jason. “They were calling up something.”

“Scruffy?”

Adalene smiled. “No. You pretty much ended that one. I'm not sure what they were summoning. Amanda called him the 'Beautiful Man'. She was supposed to be the sacrifice. The only problem is that the sacrifice was supposed to be perfect. I am not sure what perfect was supposed to entail, but with a broken hand, Amanda did not qualify. She was scarred. Horribly. I've been monitoring her. I have not detected any taint on her. But her injuries were terrible.”

“How serious?”

“She spends her time either laying in her bed or sitting looking out the window in a wheelchair,” Jen said. “She has a hard time trying to stand, let alone walk. She refuses to look in a mirror after what they did to her.”

Marlene squeezed Jason's hand. He turned to look at her. “'To help those that cannot help themselves'. Isn't that how the charter reads?”

“You are an evil woman.” Marlene grinned. “Whose idea was it to put that in the charter in the first place?”

“Sandy, I believe.”

“I will see what I can find about Devilbone and this 'Beautiful Man',” Stephen said. “I would really like to put him down like a rabid dog and lock that toy of his away.”

“I like you, Stephen,” Jason said smiling.

“I have a conference at the hospital in two days, Jason,” Kris said. “If you'd like to tag along that should give you the opportunity to wander, help, and do whatever.”

“How many sick 'whatevers' normally run around in a hospital that might need help? That's my main problem. I am not God. It is not my place to play one.”

“Hmm. Moral quandaries. Sounds like my cue to take my leave,” Stephen said.

“Mr. Langford,” Marlene said, standing up.

“Mrs. Scott.”

“May I have a word with you? In private.”

“As the lady wishes,” he replied with a formal deep bow. He held out his hand to her. “Any particular place I should do my vanishing act?”

Warren shrugged. “Middle of the drive is fine unless you make a mess on your way out.”

Stephen led Marlene away.

“I'm sorry,” Jen said. “If it were me...”

“I'd do in in a heartbeat, Jen.”

Jen smiled. “I know. I don't care what happened between us, but she didn't deserve what they did to her.”

“How long ago was the attack?”

“Just over two weeks ago,” Warren said.

“So not quite healed anyway.”

“No,” Kris said.

“So, Jen,” Beth said. “Homecoming?”

Jen waved it away. “Not going. No date. No dress.”

Jason looked at Warren. “Kate and I are chaperoning.”

Jason cleared his throat and smiled at Jen. “George made you two dresses. One was for the Halloween party. The other...”

“Is hanging in my closet. I know,” Jen said.

“Then the deal is this. I will do what you're asking. If...”

“Next week,” Warren said.

“If you don't have a date for homecoming by next week, I will take you.”

Jen stared at Jason. “You're like a brother to me.”

“At the very least it means you won't have to worry about the usual shenanigans from boys your own age,” Beth said. “Not to mention his wife, your brother, your father all ganging up to kill him if he did,” she added laughing.

“Fine. If I don't have a date by next week you can take me.”

“So, what can I do for you, Mrs. Scott?”

Marlene smiled sweetly. “I have been watching you and Angel, Mr. Langford. How the two of you keep looking at each other.” His eyes darted to the porch, finding Angelique looking at him before her eyes darted away. “Yes, exactly like that. I don't think I need to question your intentions, sir.”

“Well, I was thinking perhaps...”

“Stephen, she's my friend. I don't believe she has ever truly been romanced. If you hurt her I will personally set out to make your life hell.”

“I don't think...” Marlene raised a brow. “You would truly?” Marlene nodded. “As you wish,” he said bowing his head to her. “Lady Bouchard,” Angelique looked at him. “May I have the honor of calling on you?”

Angelique smiled. “I think I would like that, sir.”

“How may I contact you?” he asked.

Conjuring up a blue butterfly, Angelique sent it fluttering to him where it landed on his shoulder. Then it froze.

“I shall keep it safe. Until later,” he said with a bow to the ensemble. He stepped away from Marlene, giving her another nod. Yellow with sparks that looked golden, Stephen conjured up a portal and stepped inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving the pediatrics ward behind, Pulsar pushed the call button for the elevator. When the door dinged, he stepped aside to allow the staff to exit before stepping in. When the door closed he let out a sigh.

“How was pediatrics?” Kris asked, her voice coming through the team's communications.

“I am seriously rethinking someone's pregnancy. At least Psistorm has her hamster ball trick to keep them occupied.”

“You are not and yes she does.”

“Coffee break?”

“Yeah. Some of the doctors are on board, but they don't see the same kind of cape traffic New York does. Some are arguing that they can't see the expense.”

Pulsar shook his head and pressed the button for the fifth floor. “Did you point out to them the subsidy?”

Kris laughed quietly. “Honestly, it slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder.”

“Just spending money on someone's good cause,” he said as the door opened.

“Reconvening,” Kris said.

“Wandering another hall,” he replied.

“Five eighteen,” Mentor supplied.

“Still going to wander the hall, Mentor, but thanks.”

Several of the orderlies and nurses stared as he walked by. He often found himself nodding in greeting in passing them. Following the signs that showed where rooms 511 to 520 were, he turned a corner in the hall.

“Can I help you,” a woman asked. He looked at her and she smiled. She was dark skinned, round faced, and had a bright smile. His eyes darted to the name tag hanging from a lanyard.

“Hello, Doris. I'm just stretching my legs a bit.”

“I'd heard you would be here with Dove today.”

“She's in a meeting trying to set up a project,” he affirmed.

Doris beamed. “I'd really like to meet her.”

“I will see what I can do.”

She was about to say something further when what sounded like glass breaking came down the hall. “Oh, Lord,” she said and turned down the hall. Pulsar followed after.

“518,” he said to himself. He caught the room numbers out of the corner of his eye and calculated. Doris turned into room 518 unless he was wrong.

“Are you alright?” he heard Doris ask.

“I'm sorry,” he heard mumbled. Almost too faint for him to hear.

“I'll have to get someone to clean this up. Are you sure you're alright?” Pulsar heard no response. “Excuse me,” Doris said to him as she came out of the room, almost colliding with him.

“Quite all right. Problem?” he asked.

“Just a broken vase. I will be right back.”

Stepping into the room, Pulsar noted it was single occupant. The girl lay in her bed staring out the window. She was bandaged like a mummy. Only her eyes, mouth, and a few wisps of hair visible.

“Hello,” he said. The girl's eyes turned to him, but she didn't say anything. He glanced over the wreckage on the floor. “Pretty flowers. I bet that vase was lovely, too.”

“It was an accident,” she whispered.

“Hard to manipulate things with your hands all wrapped up, I bet.” He squatted down and began picking out the plants.

“They'll clean it up,” Doris said from the door.

Looking back over his shoulder, Pulsar said, “It's okay.” A crimson flash brought forth what looked like a robot sweeper. “Water and glass,” he said. He set it on the floor and it began collecting the spilled water and broken glass.

He stood back up with the flowers in hand. On her table were Lightning's and Psistorm's calling cards, one blue with gold lightning bisecting it from corner to corner, the other a uniform metallic purple. “Two of them. You're getting yourself quite the collection. You must be the young lady Lightning told me about. Mandy Burns, isn't it?”

“Amanda,” the girl said.

“What happened to you?” he asked gently.

“What do you care? No one listens to me,” she said quietly.

“I care. And you have my undivided attention. If you'd like, we can talk about the weather. Or you can rant and rave about anything on your mind. Or you can tell me about the 'Beautiful Man' and Devilbone. I wouldn't mind talking about any of it. If we talk about the last, then maybe we can do something to keep what happened to you from ever happening to anyone else.”

“I wish I was out there. In the sun. Maybe lying on a beach somewhere.”

“That sounds nice,” he said.

A bird flew past her window. “What's it like to fly?”

“There's a lot of freedom up there,” he said.

“I dream about it sometimes. Being up there among the clouds.”

“The clouds can be chilly to pass through. All that water vapor. Some of it waiting to become rain. Maybe when you're better I could take you. Let you see what it is like for yourself.”

“You'd do that?” she asked.

“Yes. As long as there aren't any emergencies that need to be dealt with.”

“What's it like to be a hero?”

“I don't know.”

Amanda eyes turned to him. “But you're a hero.”

Pulsar shook his head a little. “No, I'm not. I'm just a man gifted with...” He stopped for a moment, senses on alert. “I'm just a man gifted with incredible and sometimes terrifying power.”

Amanda looked down. “I'm evil.”

Cocking his head to the side, Pulsar asked, “What makes you think that?”

She shrugged. “It wasn't supposed to be me. It was supposed to be someone else. We were going to use someone else. After we got ready some of them grabbed me. Braden told me they decided that I was to be the sacrifice because I wasn't a good girlfriend.”

“What was to happen to the sacrifice?”

“I don't know. They never let me see the book. All they said was that the Beautiful Man would claim the sacrifice.”

“You aren't evil, Amanda. I have seen evil. Don't take this the wrong way, but you're a kid. Do you know why you're a kid? Because you get to make mistakes and learn from them. That's why a lot in our legal system works the way it does. Once you get a look down a path, seeing the cost of going that way, all it takes is to look inside, weigh the cost of it on your soul, and say, 'I don't want to be this person.' The problem is, a lot of people when they do it, they don't care enough about themselves or others they may hurt in the process. So they keep going, crossing one line after another that they never should have crossed. Until, eventually, they are so far gone that they don't know the way back.”

“What do you know about it?” she screamed at him.

“Because I've crossed my own lines,” he said gently. “And I have friends that caught me, held me, and were able to pull me back. Like I said, I'm no hero. I'm a man like any other. I make mistakes.”

The cleaner beeped at his feet, indicating it had done its job. He knelt and picked it up. “Mind if I borrow your table for a moment?” He set the cleaner on it and opened the top. Pulsar lifted out a container holding bits of glass. He turned it so Amanda could see it. “What do you make of this?”

“It's broken.”

“Like you seem to think you are?” Amanda nodded slowly. He fished out two bigger pieces. “Well, what if I put these two pieces together like so? They see to fit together. Yes, very nicely.” He watched Amanda and smiled behind his mask. Crimson ran along the seam where the two pieces met. “And where there were two there is now one.”

“How did you do that?”

“Just a slight application of power.” He set the glass back in the container. “Now, I have no clue what that vase looked like before. So I'm going to have to trust you to tell me if I get it right.” With a crimson flash the entire container an its contents disappeared. With another flash, he brought the container back into being and set it back into the cleaner. “This is a prototype. It's being worked on for crime scene cleaning,” he explained.

“I don't understand. Where's the vase?”

Pulsar took the cleaner off the table and disappeared it. “You know, you screaming at me like that, I think you've taken a look down your own path and you aren't sure you should continue down it.” Amanda looked away. “It's okay, Amanda. Watch.” She turned back and he lifted his hand over the table. He lowered a finger, gauging distance between it and the surface. With another crimson flash the vase appeared under his finger, resting evenly on the table.

It isn't as easy to fix a person. Who they are, their mind, they have to admit there is a problem. They have to want to be other than they are. It helps to have friends and family that care.”

I thought I had friends. None of them have come here to see me.”

No one?” he asked.

My mom comes when she gets out of work. When I was in a coma there was a girl from school that would come and do her homework and talk to me about it all as she was doing it.”

Something seems to be missing here,” Pulsar said. Another flash brought the liquid container from the cleaner to his hand. He released the stopper and poured the water into the vase. Empty, the container disappeared. The flowers he had been holding the entire time he slid into the vase. “Sorry. I'm not much for arranging flowers.” He moved the vase to the window.

So, this girl that did homework, you don't consider her a friend?”

She used to be,” Amanda said quietly. “I broke that, too.”

If she was here doing her homework with you, don't you think that it could be fixed?”

What's going on here?” Sophia Burns asked entering the room.

“Hi, mom,” Amanda said quietly.

With a nod of his head, Pulsar greeted her. “Mrs. Burns. We were talking about friendship and fixing things.”

“I wouldn't mind if she fixed her friendship with Jen Asher. Seems things went downhill after you stopped associating with her.”

“Mom...”

“Amanda, do you know what these are?” Pulsar asked pointing to the two cards on the table in front of her.

She shrugged. “I thought they were like business cards.”

He laughed. “Something like that. When we use them out in the field, when we're working, we'll leave one for the cops to let them know we will be in to make out statement. When we leave them with an individual it is a reminder of our interaction with them. So that they know that there are Guardians in the world looking out for them. And sometimes it is so they know there is someone who will listen to them.” With a crimson flash he laid his own card down. A golden background overlaid with a crimson starburst.

“If you scan one with a smart phone you will get a list of numbers in your area for people you can talk to about various things if you need to.” Without turning to the door, he said, “You're early.”

Dove came through the door, Doris behind her. “Yes. They threw me out while they discuss the matter further. I hope I didn't miss anything. Hello, Amanda, Mrs. Burns.”

“Oh, wow,” Amanda said quietly. “You look like an angel.”

“Yes, she does,” Pulsar agreed.

“Dove,” Mrs. Burns said.

Kris smiled. “Only sometimes. I'm Dr. Tyler.” She held out her hand to Sophia, who took it with a stunned look on her face.

“Amanda, where did the book come from?” Pulsar asked gently.

“Braden found it. Up in the Wiloughby place.”

“What were you doing up there? I told you to stay away from there!”

“I wasn't with him! I didn't go up there!”

“Mrs. Burns, may I speak to you for moment?” Kris asked. Sophia looked at her for a moment and then nodded her assent. Kris lead her into the hall.

“Who is this Wiloughby?”

Amanda lay her head back and closed her eyes. “An old crackpot. If he'd been rich he would have been labeled an eccentric. I didn't go up there. The place scared me.”

“It's okay,” he said. “I've gone places I shouldn't have. Sometimes being able to fly leads to a whole different level of temptation. So what kind of hobbies do you have? Art? Writing?”

“Pick fights with old friends and break my hand.”

“I was thinking anything creative.”

“Sometimes she does needlework,” Sophia said reentering the room. “She's really good at it, too.”

Kris stepped to the side of Amanda's bed. “May I?” she asked, pointing to the girl's wrapped hand. Amanda shrugged and lifted it. Gently, Kris began unwrapping it. Amanda's fingers we're wrapped individually. The back of her hand was crisscrossed with angry red marks. Kris touched the skin and Amanda winced. “I'm sorry.”

“Nothing to be done about it now,” Amanda said. More dejected than resigned.

“Doris, could you get one of those stools?” Pulsar asked. Doris nodded and left to get one. “Mrs. Burns, make a wish.”

She gave him a confused look before answering. “I wish Amanda had never gotten involved with those other kids. I wish she weren't laying there hurt.”

Doris rolled the stool in and Pulsar took control of it. “I can't do anything about the past, but maybe something can be done for the future.” He spun the seat the up until it stopped. He took a seat. “Are you ready?”

“Are you?” Kris asked back.

“No, but I was asking Amanda.”

“I guess so.”

“Your whole body hurts where you're marked like that?” He pointed at the back of her hand. She nodded. “Lovely. Okay, then. What I want you to do is lay your hand in mine. I don't want to hurt you at all, but I will need to touch you.” He put his hand palm up on her table.

“I think I'm getting used to the pain,” she said, trying to smile.

“Let's see if we can't make the pain all go away.” Amanda smiled then. His the fingers of his other hand gently touched the exposed flesh of hers. The power flowed.

“Miss Asher, there is someone here to see you.”

Jen looked at the computer monitor showing the problem she had been working on. She put her pencil down, yawned and stretched. Muscles in her back and neck popped. “Mentor, when are you going to call me something other than 'Miss Asher'?”

“What would you prefer I call you?”

Making her way to the door, Jen said, “Jen or Jennie?” She opened the door to find her brother on the other side. “Warren!”

“Hey, you,” he said smiling.

“What are you doing here?”

“Brought you some things you might need. Like a batch of mom's chocolate chip cookies and a batch of Kate's chocolate chocolate chip cookies.” He handed a box to her. “That black eye looks fresh.”

Jen sighed. “It is. Mrs. Anderson caught me wrong.”

“You wearing gear?” he asked, stepping into the room.

“Always. Safety first.” She set the box on the desk. “Why'd you come out? You could have mailed the box.”

Warren looked at her. “Because I wanted to see you. I wanted to see that you're okay. Why didn't Jason take care of your eye.”

“I'm fine. Really,” she said smiling. “Mrs. Anderson wouldn't let him. Pain teaches best. I'm learning a lot. I'm slowly getting caught up in school. My teachers have been great about letting me make up stuff I missed.”

“Speaking of which,” Warren stepped back out in the hall and picked up a backpack from beside the door. “All your school stuff mom could find.”

“Thanks.”

“So, hard question time. Why did you run off?”

Jen sat back in her chair. “I was being bullied.”

“You could have said something.”

“And have Lightning deal with the problem? You've got more important things to deal with than me, Big Brother.”

Warren smiled at her. “No, I don't. The most important thing is family. Which is why Jason let you stay.”

Jen shrugged. “It was my problem, though. I needed to find a way to solve it.”

“So, you become a student in 'The Huntress's School of Self-Defense',” he said with a laugh.

Jen's eyes went wide. “The Huntress?”

“You didn't know?”

“Not a clue,” she said.

“Uh, Dani, the human barbecue is her daughter.”

Standing on the landing, Jason looked out over his guests. Had she been here, the first viewer would have been Marlene. His eyes lit on Leah. She was laughing and talking with Kate and Stacy. He tapped the bell.

“If I can have everyone's attention for a moment. I would like to thank Aunt Emily for dragging me out into the public eye tonight. She has been a lovely and gracious hostess. But if I don't get the show started she may just go ahead and do it without me. I'm going to go ahead and open the first gallery now. Those paintings are of two ladies very dear to my heart, and sadly, neither of them are here. Aunt Emily, if you would do the honors and escort the Palmers and Wilsons through it for me?” Emily smiled and nodded her assent.

“For the second gallery, that is filled with images of another lady who is very dear to me. Leah, may I have the honor of your company?” Jason descended the steps and held his hand out for Leah. Kate smiled and gave Leah a nudge. Leah walked, not slow, but purposeful. As if she were walking in a fashion show. Every other step her leg flashed from the confines of her dress. With every step Jason's heartbeat quickened.

Leah's hand slipped into Jason's and for a moment his heart, his breathing, his world suddenly stopped. She smiled and suddenly his world righted itself.

“So, what are you going to show me?”

“This way,” he said, tucking her arm under his. He led her up the stairs toward the first gallery. Jason reached out and touched the light panel. Glancing in, Leah saw paintings of Sandy and Marlene. A few steps further on and he touched the light panel for the second gallery. He ushered her in.

Leah's eyes danced from one painting to another, never really stopping to take anyone of them in. Each one of them brought up a memory. Closing her eyes, she said, “I... I need a moment.” Jason waited patiently, allowing her all the time she felt she needed.

“Okay,” she said finally. “Where do we start?”

Jason led her to a simple portrait of her. Leah was sitting with her legs drawn up, coffee cup held in her hands. A plain button-down men's shirt, bluejeans, and socks were her attire.

“That was the first night. From the sketch you did.”

“The night we met. The first night you slept in my bed. The first night for a lot of things,” he said.

“When did you paint it?”

“After... You'll find that there are pretty much in a timeline from then until the end,” he explained.

Since she was main subject, Leah saw a lot of portraits. Some paintings she and Jason had corroborated on. Others he just took the lead and painted. One picture was her in lingerie sitting at a vanity doing her makeup. The tag read “A Model's Life”.

Another painting was Leah in an evening gown reclining on a chaise lounge. “We were planning this one when...”

“Lots of photo references to fill in,” he said quietly. Leah wiped her face with the palm of her hand. “You're going to smear your makeup.”

“I don't care,” she said. Jason pulled the kerchief out of his suit coat and handed it to her. She took it gratefully.

The tour continued until they came to the last painting. The journey had many smiles and laughs from her. Jason was pleased.

The last painting Leah looked up at. “If you get me that outfit I would totally wear it for you,” she teased. More seriously, she said, “That's not me.” The brass plate below it read, “The Inquisitor”.

“It is and it isn't. And I hope it never comes to pass.”

Leah looked at him. There was pain there. “There's a story behind it.” Jason nodded. “Have you told anyone?” Jason looked down and nodded. “Does that mean I'm not going to get a hot bondage outfit this Christmas?” she teased, trying to lighten the mood.

Jason looked off to the side and nodded to Emily. She led a small group into Leah's gallery. Leah walked slowly to the railing. Jason watched her walk. At the railing, Leah's fingers started tapping on it. Jason walked over to her, his gaze down, lost in his own thoughts about his meeting with the Inquisitor.

Leah turned around. “Jason, look at me.”

Jason's head came up slowly, like he was fighting the weight of his thoughts. Starting at her shoes, “modeling shoes” Leah had called them when she first saw them, his gaze traveled up slowly. Leah had told him to look at her, so he did. The skirt had split, leaving one hosed leg exposed. The dress hugged her well. Jason had done the rough design and George Sanza had tweaked it and made improvements.

When his eyes reached hers and he felt the charge he often did when looking in her eyes, Leah smiled. It was that charge that often kept him from looking at her.

You should take her, the entity in his head told him with a laugh. She's practically begging you to subjugate her. Again.

F*** off! He snarled back at it, working hard not to display his anger at it to Leah.

Leah's tongue wet her lips briefly. “What happened to me, what happened to us wasn't your fault. It was Bauer's.” Jason noted the name and that she hadn't used his first name. A great improvement in his mind. “One of the things I always loved about you, knowing what my job entailed, you never got jealous. Never knowing what exactly I might have been doing for a photo shoot.”

I got jealous,” he said. “But I realized it was part of your job and didn't want it coming between us.”

Oh,” she said with some amusement. “But you got copies of all the photos per my contract.”

I still do.” Leah gave him a questioning look. “I got a package from Renea's office last week.”

I didn't realize she left that clause in.”

Jason smiled. “You signed a contract without reading it? I thought you knew better.”

Leah shrugged with a smile. “I was just happy she was resigning me and that I'd have work and money coming in. Anyway, what I wanted to say, I love you. I still do. I don't want to jump back into something with you. Not now. Not with everything going on. But if you need a friend, someone to talk to, someone to listen, I'm willing to be there. If you need me.”

I appreciate it.”

I should let you get on with your show.” She stepped closer, took hold of his tie, and pulled his cheek down to where she could kiss it. Jason watched her go, his kerchief still clutched in her hand.

“Hey, Sis!” Kari called out. “Come here! You have got to check this one out!”

Kris turned to where Kari had called from. Kari was animatedly beckoning her. Kris headed over. Ash, Dani, and Trese were clustered in front of a large painting. The angle was bad for her to see what it was.

Kari was grinning. “What do you think?” Kris looked up at the painting and her jaw dropped. The painting was done for a large space. Like over the fireplace in a room with a vaulted ceiling.

“I'm going to kill him,” she whispered.

Kris looked upon herself. Her wings were upraised in victory. She was kneeling in shallow water. Her fingers were running through her wet hair. The white body-stocking was wet and covered her with its nonexistence, leaving anything that wasn't shadowed on full display.

“I'm going to kill him,” she said.

“What? I thought he captured me well. Of course, he had to use your wings as a model,” Kari said grinning.

“You?”

“Of course me. Didn't you notice the tattoo?”

Kris looked again and saw the red bands encircling one upper arm. “It isn't you, Kari. It isn't exactly me either. Although I did model for it.”

“But the tattoo,” Kari argued.

“Is red.” Kris grabbed her twin's arm and lifted it. “Yours is blue. Jason pays attention to details like color. If it were meant to be you the tattoo would be blue. And more than likely there wouldn't be any wings. When was the last time you modeled for him?”

“Not in a long time,” Kari answered.

Kris noticed the black ribbon hanging from the brass tag that read “Winged Victory”. “Emily!” she called out, seeing the older woman passing by.

“Yes?”

“What does the black ribbon mean?”

“It means the painting is not for sale. Don't bother asking or submitting a bid on it,” Emily explained.

Kris closed her eyes. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“That one is to be removed after tonight's showing. Only the current guests get to see it. After that, I have no idea what Jason plans to do with it.”

Kris caught sight of Jason talking with Irish, Jordan, and Brie and changed her course.

“I can't believe you painted that as fast as you did,” Brie said. “What's it going to cost me to keep it out of sight?”

Pulling his phone out of a pocket, Jason scrolled through something. “I'm afraid I can't help, Brie,” Jason said. “Listing shows it was already bought.”

“And I think it will look great hanging in my workshop,” Jordan said.

“Da?” Brie tried not to whine. Jordan and Irish laughed.

“I'm sure the gallery and your chosen charity appreciate it, Jordan” Jason said.

“Hi, Kris,” Brie said. “You look lovely tonight.”

Locking eyes with Jason, Kris said, “Thank you. That's a lovely dress you're wearing, Brie. Hello, Irish, Jordan. Can we talk? Excuse us, please.” Kris took Jason's arm and began pulling him away.

“Excuse us,” Jason said. When they were a distance from anyone, Kris turned to him. “Something wrong?” Kris's eyebrow shot up. “Embarrassed you, did I?” Kris's wings surrounded them, muffling their talking.

“You've got Dani drooling all over it.”

Jason looked her in the eyes. “I'm sorry. I meant to show you it myself.”

“All the white shows off nicely against the black background. It's a lovely painting. Why did you paint me two stories tall?”

“Your wings. I wanted to keep the scaling right.”

Kris sighed. “What are you going to do with it. Emily said it isn't for sale.”

“It isn't. I'm hanging it in your apartment in the tower tomorrow.”

“Mine? Why?”

Jason smiled. “What did I tell you about yourself?”

“That I'm beautiful and sensual.”

“And if you look at that painting often enough you just may come to see yourself the way I see you.” Kris stepped closer and put her forehead against his chest. “You can add sexy to the list, too.” Kris made a fist and thumped him in the chest.

“You are a pain in my ass,” Kris said.

Laughing, Jason slipped an arm around her. When his fingers touched the bare skin of her back he pulled his hand away. Bastard. The entity in his head laughed.

“Something wrong?”

“Not sure,” he said.

• 3 weeks later...

Jason sat at his drawing table, deep in thought. The paper taped to the desk had two body forms sketched on it. A rough idea based on the two women laying on the bed. Marlene had traded Jason's dress shirt for a long nightgown. She had left on Jason's winnings. He had removed her shoes for the sake of her comfort.

Beth was stretched out on Jason's pillow, the back of one hand lay across her forehead. She was still in her blouse and slacks, only having removed her shoes due to being on the bed.

A bowl half-empty of popcorn rested on each nightstand, along with partially drank glasses of fruit juices. The TV flickered with the movie Beth had wanted to watch with Marlene.

“TV off,” he said quietly. The room went dark except for his desk lamp.

Standing up quietly, Jason made his way to the side of the bed. Gently, he adjusted the covers over Marlene. He bent over, brushed hair out of his way, and kissed his wife on her cheek. In the dim light she smiled and nestled into her pillow.

Moving to a dresser Marlene had claimed, Jason opened a drawer and flipped through the clothes within. He pulled out shorts and shirt. He closed the drawer silently.

Circling around to Beth, Jason looked down on her and smiled. Beth obviously wasn't going home tonight. Reaching out, he touched Beth's slacks. Crimson light lit the room. Jason switched her slacks with the shorts he had been holding. Then he did the same for her blouse and the shirt. He draped those over the back of a chair where she could easily find them when she awoke.

Turning back to Beth, he shifted the collar of the shirt to the side, touched the strap of her bra and disappeared it. Beth shifted in her sleep. Jason gently pulled the covers over Beth. He added her bra to the pile on the chair.

Returning to his chair, Jason clicked off the lamp. He had begun on the bed beside Marlene, holding her close while the women chatted before the movie started. Shortly after it had started, Jason's phone rang. He had answered and the conversation started at the other end led him out into the hall. When that conversation had ended, almost immediately Jordan Kendall had called.

“What do you think?” Jordan had begun without preamble.

“I trust her,” Jason had responded.

“She's asking a lot.”

“True, but it's Huntress.”

Jordan sighed. “Damn it, I hate being on the sidelines. What about Solitaire?”

“I trust her when I'm the one paying her.”

“Neither of us is paying her.”

“That's kind of my point. I need to call Knight and set up a training exercise. Hazard pay on top

of it. Huntress won't do any permanent damage, but Solitaire might. And I don't like my people

using training loads in this kind of situation.”

“I feel the same. Brie has Cavalier ready. She's going to work with security. She can make it

look real enough for Solitaire and set up her armor to be disabled by Huntress. What do you

make of her reasons?”

“Virgo. No love lost there. I would love to see that match on pay-per-view. I need to make those

calls.” Jason hung up.

Lightning flashed near the horizon. Before long, he heard the rumble of thunder. The smell of rain lay heavy in the air. Good. The crops could use it. Traveling south on US Route 75 at a leisurely 400mph, according to the feed on his HUD, Lightning was headed towards Omaha.

Traffic was light. It was late. It was dark. And there was a storm threatening. At moments like this he felt like he was all alone in the world. Lightning shattered the storm clouds. The thunder was deafening. And, suddenly, the storm was no longer threatening. Rain poured down.

“Tap into the police and 911, Mentor. Let's see what's out there tonight.”

“There is a silent alarm at Baker's Jewelers. There is also a report of a man threatening others with a gun. Shapiro's Diner.”

“I know the places. Shapiro's is on the way to Baker's.” Lightning ran a little bit faster.

Shapiro's Diner was a counter and a smattering of tables. Lightning had eaten there a number of times. Both in and out of uniform. A place for a good, affordable meal, and a cup of coffee.

Inside it looked to him like there was a crew of four working; cook, dishwasher, and two servers. A quick headcount tallied ten customers. And one maniac with a pistol. Maybe it wasn't a fair judgment, but Lightning was used to the guys waving guns being maniacs.

Lightning considered his options. He thought he recognized one of the servers. He walked in the front door.

“Hey, Marcie. Can I get four breakfast specials to go? All eggs scrambled, please. Have it ready for a four AM pick-up”

No one moved except the guy with the gun. “This is what I'm talking about! No one listens! No one pays any attention!”

Lightning gave the guy an annoyed look. “Have a seat. The police will be with you shortly.”

“No! I'm not going to be arrested! Don't try anything! No one is that fast!”

With a sigh, Lightning lowered his gaze to the floor. “If that's the way you want it,” he said. Lightning moved. The man screamed. “I told you to sit down,” he said, putting the pistol on the counter. The man lay on the floor, arms bound behind his back. “The police are on their way.”

It was like everyone in the diner released a breath they didn't realize they were holding at the same time.

“Yes, sir,” a server responded. "Four scrambled specials for a 4 AM pick-up. It'll be ready.”

Lightning smiled at her. “Thank you. I'll need coffee with those.” She nodded and filed the order. Sirens sounded in the distance. “Sounds like they're playing your song,” he said to the man on the floor. “I can wait a few minutes.”

“Are you really Lightning?” a young voice called out. “Can I get a picture with you?”

Smiling at the child, Lightning said, “Sure. Where do you want to do this?”

“I don't know!”

Lightning knelt and two children under the age of 10 came to him. The boy, older of the two, was excited. The girl was shy. “It's okay. I won't hurt you,” he told her. “You don't need to be nervous.” The boy stood next to Lightning with awe on his face. “You might want to face the camera,” he said, indicating the boy's mother. “Can I set you on my knee?” he asked the girl.

“Go ahead, Sally. He won't hurt you,” the mother said. Sally turned her back and tried to hoist herself up. Lightning lifted her easily. One hand on the boy's shoulder and an arm around the girl, Lightning lowered his head a bit to hide his lower face. He was thankful that he'd already had the HUD lenses down.

With a flash from the smartphone's camera, the moment was over. “Okay, kids. Mr. Lightning has important things to be doing.”

The door opened and two officers entered. “Officer Daniels, we meet again,” Lightning said standing up.

“We got to stop meeting like this. You make us look bad.”

“I don't know why. We're on the same team. Want me to make my statement at the office?”

“Naw. Figured it was over by the time dispatch called us. Got the form here,” Daniels said, holding out a clipboard. Lighting accepted it. After a few seconds he passed it back. “Thanks.”

Lightning looked back. The boy was sitting where he could easily watch. Sally was peeking around the corner of booth bench she was on, waving as little girls do. He smiled at her. He pulled out two of his cards and in a burst of speed he was standing by the kids. Sally gasped.

The boy said, “Cool!”

“Something to help remember it,” he said passing a card to each child. “Ma'am,” he said with a nod to the mother, and he was gone.

Baker's Jewelers was in the middle of a block. It was a small business. Not like some of the bigger, chain stores. The report said the alarm was triggered in the back. “Can you give me a map of the store's location?”

An overhead view showed two cars parked on the street and a van in the alley. “Logic would suggest the van is the intended get-away vehicle,” Mentor said.

“If criminals were logical they wouldn't be criminals. Police location?”

“One block away running silent.”

Lightning said, “Recon sweep two blocks out before I close in.”

“May I ask why?”

“Gut feeling.”

Twenty-four blocks, side streets, and alleys were recon-ed in a matter of moments. “Van one block over in the same alley, facing the opposite direction with the motor running. Similar make and model, and paint scheme.”

“Bait and switch? The van parked behind the store is a decoy?”

Smiling, Lightning said, “That would be my guess.”

“The police are on scene.”

Lightning stopped in the shadows. “I'll hang back. Don't want to step on their toes if I don't have to. I like having a nice working relationship with them.” Lightning glanced at the second van and smiled to himself. He ran past the van. There was no one in it and a window was rolled down. He pulled out a card. “Track this just in case.” He slipped the card over the visor.

Ben looked at the stuff Warren loaded into the back of the truck. “What did you do? Rob Mick's?”

“No and sort of,” Warren said. “I had some help finding what I needed. I printed off the list of what I took showing Mick's price for each item plus the tax. I left him money a little in excess of that.”

“And what are you going to do with it all? It doesn't work for any of our vehicles.”

“I know, Dad. After the ambulance took that woman and her baby, I was standing there with her keys in my hand. So I popped a cord in and Mentor did the diagnostics. All this stuff is what Mentor and I decided her car needed immediately to get running again. You mind driving?”

“Why would I do that?” Ben asked.

“Because I'm tired and I brought you breakfast.”

Warren connected the last spark plug wire while keeping an eye on the taxi that pulled up across the street.

“Hey!” a dark haired man called out as he climbed out of the taxi. “What are you doing with my wife's car?”

“Fixing it,” Warren said with a smile. “Something made me stop and pick up some parts. I know it sounds weird, since all the parts I picked up aren't for my truck, but I got 'em. Then me and my dad got going and I asked, 'Okay. Where to now?' And the same feeling that made me pick up the parts lead me here. The car was unlocked and the keys were in it. So we got to work.” Warren wiped his hands off with a rag and held one out to the man. “I'm Warren Asher, by the way. This is my dad, Ben.”

“God, this has been a weird night. I know the car needed work, but money's been tight. My wife and I are...were expecting. She's saying a Guardian, that Lightning dude, delivered my little girl.”

“Really? Wow!”

“Yeah! Oh,” the man said, finally taking Warren's hand. “I'm David Henderson.”

Warren turned back to the engine and looked it over one more time. “Everything looks good, Dad. See if it turns over.” The engine started smoothly.

“It hasn't sounded that good in years. I don't know what I can do to repay you,” David said.

“What did you and Amy name your daughter?” Warren asked.

“Storm Lynn. On account of the storm last night and how she was delivered.” David stopped and stared at Warren for a long moment. “How did you know my wife's name was Amy?”

Smiling, Warren said, “Papers in the glove box.” Warren started putting the tools away. “You can repay me and my dad by being a good husband to Amy and a good father to Storm.”

“I'll do my best,” David said. “Thank you.”

“You're going to need to replace the right front tire. It's going bald.” Ben said. “You might want to consider a new set all around. The spare is worse.”

“I'll do that. Thanks again,” David said, climbing behind the wheel. Ben and Warren watched him drive off.

“That was close.”

“I told you I was tired,” Warren said, putting the gate back up on truck.