Laser Weapons

NuSoardGraphite

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45343[/ATTACH]Here is a rough draft to a .pdf file I am working on for my Space Opera campaign setting (Dark Universe) which details the available Laser weaponry in the setting. One major thing missing from the chart is the price of each weapon system (still figuring out the economic structure for the campaign)

Also, I did not "stat out" the weapon writeups. They have no point costs associated with them. This can be easily done if one merely breaks down their capabilities according to the specific version of Hero you are working with.

Pretty much all lasers are OAF, Independent with STR minimum, Beam and no knockback limitations. All have the Armor Piercing advantage. Some would be considered to have the Increased Range advantage while others would be considered to have the Limited Range limitation. The ranges I chose were essentially arbitrary, based on how I wanted each individual weapon to function.

Many of the weapons writeups come from a few different RPG's. Mostly Battlelords of the 23rd Century and 3G3: More Guns. I basically converted them straight over. Let me know what you think or if there is anything I should add to these writeups.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45307[/ATTACH]

Re: Laser Weapons

That is pretty comprehensive! Repped.

Thanks. I'm still working on it. Got some clean up to do and add the descriptions for the machine laser cannons. Next up will be Particle Beam weapons; aka, Blasters. The More Guns and Battlelords of the 23rd Century: Lock and Load books don't have very many of these, so I'm going to pad them out with quite a few of my own design.

did some quick statting on the fly, how does this look

Mirchaum SSLU: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), Limited Range (40; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

did some quick statting on the fly, how does this look

Mirchaum SSLU: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), Limited Range (40; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

Yep, that looks about right, though I don't know about the Fragile addition to OAF.

my thoughts on fragile are this. if it has a low malfunction # in BL, or is listed in the fluff as being tempermental etc should get fragile, and in some cases unreliable etc, also early laser weapons tend to be easily knocked out of alignment etc. also I noticed the SSU is listed as a 2 handed weapon accidentally, thats been corrected

my thoughts on fragile are this. if it has a low malfunction # in BL' date=' or is listed in the fluff as being tempermental etc should get fragile, and in some cases unreliable etc, also early laser weapons tend to be easily knocked out of alignment etc. also I noticed the SSU is listed as a 2 handed weapon accidentally, thats been corrected[/quote']

That's what I thought you were going for. I think I agree that low system shock number might translate to fragile. I know I have some inconsistencies in the writeups about reliability and malfunctions. I need to iron this out. I think in general, 17 is a automatic miss. An 18 is a fumble or weapon malfunction. (roll 1D6: 1-3 Malfunction, 4-6 Fumble) For weapons with a higher chance to malfunction, they malfunction on a roll of 17 or 18 (if 18 is rolled, roll for malfunction or fumble as normal. On a roll of 17, it is a malfunction or miss, same chances). Weapons that have been damaged or abused gain a secret Activation roll that the GM rolls. Starting at 15 or less activation and going down every time the weapon is mishandled thereafter. Weapons that have a chance of exploding should have the appropriate Side Effect limitation built in.

I would give Plasma Weapons and metalguns the reduced by range limitation' date=' the damage curve falls off really fast when it starts cooling[/quote']

I can agree with this in a lot of cases, however, the way Reduced By Range is written, I think it makes plasma weapons cool off too quickly in some cases. Considering that plasma weapons in my campaign setting work by magnetically compressing gas atoms until they initiate a temporary fusion process, then the fusing gas atoms are expelled from the weapon along a magnetic field line (created by a low powered laser) much like a prominence from a star, I think the amount of cooling would be arbitrary compared to the damage they are capable of dealing out in the second or so the plasma bolt is in existence.

ok' date=' I can see that, I just finished statting up all the laser pistols, so heres an HD file with them for you to play with, thank assorted deities for Hero Designer. it makes building lists like this a lot simpler and faster, and faster to edit too[/quote']

Wow, that's awesome thanks.

However I don't have Hero Designer :fear: so I have to do my lists the old-fashioned way. I'm totally cool with you converting all my stuff over to HD files as I post them though, if it makes things easier for most posters here.

here you go, heres a text version of the file

BS-2 Laser Pistol: (Total: 27 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 10 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (67; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 6) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

Vapotech MIL-2 Laser Pistol : (Total: 89 Active Cost, 34 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (82 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0), 100 Charges (+3/4) (Real Cost: 27) plus +2 with any single attack (Real Cost: 4) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

TMI Stormer Laser Pistol : (Total: 55 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (50 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0), 25 Charges (-0) (Real Cost: 17) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

C-18 Laser Pistol : (Total: 35 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 10 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 8) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

Diffraction Laser Pistol : (Total: 65 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (50; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0), 20 Charges (-0) (Real Cost: 14) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

MC-6 Laser Pistol: (Total: 52 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Side Effects (Weapon explodes on a to hit roll of 18; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 8) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 4)

Marrson Laser Pistol: (Total: 44 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Invisible to Detect, and Sight Group (Manufactured from Plastiic Composites; +3/4) (37 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 10 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (80; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 10) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 4)

Midget Laser Pistol: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4), Custom Modifier (+3 to conceal; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (25 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 10 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 7) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

Mirchaum SSLU: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), Limited Range (40; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 6) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

NG-33 Laser Pistol : (Total: 27 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (20 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0), 20 Charges (-0) (Real Cost: 7) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 4)

NG-Superlaser Pistol: (Total: 39 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (34 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), 20 Charges (-0) (Real Cost: 10) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

OLC Laser Pistol: (Total: 27 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (20 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 10 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (70; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 5) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 4)

PL-3 Laser : (Total: 27 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (20 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 10 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (65; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 5) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 4)

Pocket Killer Laser Pistol: (Total: 57 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (50 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (25; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 9) plus +2 with any single attack (Real Cost: 4) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

Savage-B Laser Pistol: (Total: 41 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (34 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0), 15 Charges (-0) (Real Cost: 11) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 4)

Savage-C Laser Pistol: (Total: 52 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0), 15 Charges (-0) (Real Cost: 15) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 4)

Savage-D Laser Pistol: (Total: 69 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (62 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (90; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0), 30 Charges (+1/4) (Real Cost: 19) plus +1 with any single attack (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 4)

Tenteclex-1 Laser Pistol: (Total: 27 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (20 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 10 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (60; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 5) plus +2 with any single attack (Real Cost: 4) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

Tenteclex-1 Laser Pistol: (Total: 37 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 10 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (60; -1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 8) plus +2 with any single attack (Real Cost: 4) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

W-320 Laser Pistol : (Total: 30 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (20 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Reduced by Fog and Rain; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0), 20 Charges (-0) (Real Cost: 7) plus +2 with any single attack (Real Cost: 4) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Range Modifier with a single attack (Real Cost: 6)

now onto the Rifles etc

The next subject I want to tackle in this thread is that of Particle Beam Weapons. I have decided that particle beam guns will have both the Penetrating and +1 Stun Multiplier advantages. If one is using the 6th edition rules, Heavy Body Armor would have the Hardened advantage but not Impenetrable so they resist lasers well, but not the Penetrating effects of Particle weaponry. In 5th and previous editions, the Body Armor would simply take a limitation that Hardened doesn't apply to Penetration advantage.

Compared to lasers, Particle Beam guns (aka "Blaster") do more damage (on average they do +2 to +3 DCs higher than laser weaponry) do more stun (due to +1 stunX) and have a penetrating effect. Lasers on the other hand have greater ranges, much better accuracy and are quite a bit less expensive than Blasters.

So how about Rate of Fire? I'm thinking that Blasters should have slower Rates of Fire than laser weaponry. In general, this is because it takes a bit of time for the weapon to accellerate the particles that compose the Beam up to relativistic speeds necessary for such small amounts of matter to cause significant damage. Blasters are basically micro-sized particle accellerators after all. I'm thinking that most blasters will have a normal semi-automatic firing structure with a few being somewhat faster that. At most I'm thinking that an Assault Blaster will be limited to Autofire of 3 or 4 at maximum.

What sort of problems should a malfunctioning blaster exhibit? Burned out magnetic coils?

Misfiring of the beam inside the weapon causing catastrophic internal damage to the weapon?

you could also give them a full phase to activate or something similar' date=' I was figuring that would apply to Carousel Guns also[/quote']

I thought about that, but then I also thought that weapons manufacturers would have worked hard to solve that issue. My thought is that a blaster accelerates enough particles for multiple shots at once. When the trigger is pulled, it only releases a minute amount as a "bolt". The the weapon cycles more gas particles into the acceleration chamber to get up to speed. At this time, the still accelerating particles will smash into the slower particles (just released into the chamber) and release energy which is added to the "bolt". When the trigger is pulled, the cycle begins again. This way, it maybe takes a couple of seconds for a newly activated blaster weapon to accelerate gas particles "to speed", but after that, the process is continuous until the weapon is deactivated.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, doing a bit of research on Particle Beam Weaponry (and particle acceleration in general) I have come up with several points:

1: Particle Beams penetrate materials very, very well. They should probably be at least Armored Piercing, if not AVLD vs Force Fields. However I think I will stick with Penetrating to differentiate PB's from Lasers. The Penetrating advantage placed on Killing Attacks almost garuntees the beam to do at least some Body damage to the target, which is pretty much in line with how well they penetrate materials.

2: Damage potential could be very high. On the wikipedia page for Particle Beam Weaponry (yes, there is one) it mentions they could produce up to 1 gigajoule of Kinetic Energy. On my Energy to DC conversion chart, 1 gigajoule comes out to 24 damage classes or 8D6K damage! This is fine for a ship-bourne Blaster cannon, but not for a handheld assault weapon (overkill!) so I would keep the energies more modest: 6-9 DC's for a "Blaster pistol" and 8-12 DC's for an Assault Blaster rifle. However, in addition to the pure Kinetic Energy the beam uses to blow through the target, the particles also impart a large amount of thermal energy to a target as it penetrates the surface and the particles of the energy beam interact with the particles of the material being penetrated. The resultant thermal effects are near-instantaneous and potentially catastrophic to both machines and biological targets. I have decided that this effect is partially responsible for the high Damage Class output of the weapons, in addition to the Stun multiplier bonus found in the weapons (in addition to some electromagnetic discharge associated with certain types of particle beams)

3: Particle Beams should do extra damage to electronic equipment hit by the beam. Secondary radiation effects, while oftentimes non-lethal to humans can have a devastating effect on delicate electronics. Thus I have decided to add a Dispel effect to the weapon equal to the DC of the base attack. Thus a Blaster that fires a 6DC Particle Beam (2D6k) will do a 6D6 Dispel effect on any electronic equipment struck by the beam. If the points on the Dispel exceed the Active Points of the equipement hit, the equipment is "burned out" and will most likely need to be scrapped. Equipment "hardened" against such effects are bought with "Difficult to Dispel".

Overall a seemingly potent weapon system. However I want to differentiate between Blaster and Laser fairly significantly, so I have decided that Blasters are less accurate with a shorter maximum range than laser weaponry. Thus the typical Blaster accuracy bonus is +0 OCV with a natural R-mod of +0 to +2. Additionally, Blasters are power hungry and thus they will have fewer shots than their Laser counterparts. For this reason, automatic "Assault Blasters" have a much lower rate-of-fire than other beam type weaponry. At most, we'll see RoF of 3 or 4 at maximum and only a few Fully Automatic Particle Beam Cannons will exceed this and only because of much larger power sources and the ability to build more acceleration coils and capacitor banks to store energy for the large number of "pulses" required for sustained high rates of fire.

Another advantage of the Particle Beam gun is versatility. Depending on the type of particle accelerator the weapon depends on, the beam will have different effects. Most weaponized particle beams will be neutral in nature (A Neutron beam perhaps) for maximum penetration, however an Electron beam has high "Stun only" potential to make a weapon capable of stunning living targets and overloading electronic targets. A high technology level may devise a method for switching the type of beam a Blaster may generate to vary the damage effects. Thus some high tech level (read: expensive) Blasters may have Stun and Kill settings, or have settings specifically for dealing with cybernetic and robotic opponents.

Lots of stuff to chew on here. I will continue to work on individual Blaster weapons over the coming days and hopefully I will have a .pdf detailing these weapons to post soon...