Blinded by the Light -- How much of a Physical Limitation (if at all)?

Azzy

Right, so I'm wanting to build a sci-fi character of a species that can see in the dark (but not total darkness), but is especially light-sensitive (say, suffers from the same penalties for darkness when exposed to light). However, there would be gear in the campaign that mitigates this and allows the character to function normally in light.

So, do I go with:

A) Nightvision, and a Physical Limitation (Light Sensitive). If so, how Impaired and Frequent should I make it, given the access to gear that mitigates the Complication?

B) Since the effect is just a reversal of the circumstance (darkness to light) that the character suffers from the penalty, just handwave and call it good.

C) Something else.

Re: Blinded by the Light -- How much of a Physical Limitation (if at all)?

If he has easy access to gear that can negate the penalty, make it Infrequent. Someone is, eventually, going to say "Oh, look, it's a Nocturnian" and rip/shoot/TK the goggles off his face.

How Impairing it is depends on how big the penalty is. IIRC, it's probably worth the moderate severity (Greatly?).

It will all depend on how the campaign is run. If you're in space, then I would treat it with the same limitations as night time, just reversing it. If you're in a Dark Champions, it might come up even less. In a Heroic or Superhero setting, it would be worth more. In addition, it be worth taking a Vulnerability (1.5x or 2x effect from Light Flashes).

I used to give characters 5 points of Disadvantages (I think they're called Complications in 6E) for every -1 to their roll. So if you took a -3 to PER rolls in daylight, it would be worth 15 points.

I'm cosigning Kirby's statement about the value varies per campaign. In our Dark Champions campaign, http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Shadowsoverdetroit/ our GM Bo advised us that there are large areas where the public lighting is defunct. As a Detroiter, I commented that this is not fictional.

I'd probably do something like this: every species has a default "Light Level", either light or dark. If light, they take vision penalties when it's dark (-4 at night). If dark, they take vision penalties when it's bright (-4 at noon). Probably needs a bit more tweaking than that, but it seems like a good place to start.

Okay, to give a bit more detail... I'd say it's Heroic-tier, interstellar sci-fi with more leanings toward "hard" sci-fi (but not slavishly so) than to fast-and-loose space opera. There will be occasional exploration, but no special emphasis on night-time adventures or dark environs.

Also, cheers to Greywind & Yamamura for running with the thread title. :D

My question is how do you build "Rev'd up like a deuce' date=' another runner in the night?"[/quote']

+1 SPD, only at night

edit: Just don't ask me to write up the rest of the song.....

Lucius Alexander

Another palindromedary in the night