Master of Orion Blog

Christougher

The rights to the Master of Orion name seem to be held by Atari's IP company, used without permission, but not intended to be infringing. If any part of this ever sees publication, it would likely be as an APG for Star Hero.

This is my rules, ideas and works in progress, posted online for reference and accessibility. I'd like to keep up a posting rate of once or twice a week.

So what is Master of Orion, and why am I remaking it in Hero? The computer game is advertised as 4X, exploration(of galaxy), expansion(of empire) exploitation(of resources), and extermination(of enemies). *Alien races with special abilities, rapidly increasing technology, ground and space warfare, chances for adventure, it all sounds like the perfect backdrop for a Star Hero game.

House rule? Campaign ground rule? Base assumption?

* 5th Edition.

* No plastics.

* Armor is half as effective vs ED.

* When shields are invented, they are half as effective vs PD.

The biggest part of MoO to me is the ever increasing technologies. Newer is better, tougher, stronger, more damaging. Drawing from all three games and a few other sources, I established four basic branches of science, and multiple itemized fields under each. Then arranged them in order of advancing technology levels, with each level having an increased number of Active Points allowed to create technologies within those fields.

I started with ten levels, 25 AP/level, and that worked pretty good, except under close observation on the low end. There was little to no "room" for no/low technology there. Not a problem for the computer game, but a bit more necessary for an RPG. So I added two levels, cut each level to 12.5 AP, shuffled and added a few lower tech items. I'll probably change it again.

Biology: Includes Hybrids, Mutation, Evolution, Genetics, Gene Therapy, Gene Sequencing, Genetic Engineering, Artificial Life

Chemistry: Includes Elements, Compounds, Radiation, Ion, Fission, Plasma, Fusion, Particle, Antimatter, Dark Matter, Matter to Energy, Zero Point

Engineering: Includes Tools, Machines, , Microscopic, Macroscopic, , Nanoscale, Planetary, , Molecular, Superscalar, Quantum

Physics: Includes Thermal Electric, Sonic Microwave, Optics, Magnetic, Warp, Gravitic, Multiphase, Flux, Subspace, Dark Energy, Energy Matter, Temporal

Biology also includes all the "soft" sciences, Botany, Medicine, Psychology, Sociology, and so on.

Of course there are other categories or areas of effect in MoO and Star Hero where those things are applied; still (re)working out some of those. Espionage, Recreation, Manufacturing, etcetera etcetera.

This also led to an Adoption scale to show how widespread or available a piece of technology is. Imaginary, Theoretical, Prototype, Oligopoly, Commodity, Network, Ubitquous, Custom, Personal, Universal

Chris.

Re: Master of Orion Blog

A few answers here. The idea is to roleplay within the MoO universe, not to fully recreate the computer game. Timescale for an RPG doesn't have to follow that. I believe you're right about the original, but recall Master of Orion 2 being tenths of years, not sure what MoO 3 was. And of course, with the right level of technology, Life Support: Extended Aging for the PCs.

Chris.

After defining sciences and fields of advancement, I plotted out a few notable developments or achievements. There's still plenty of work left to be done here

filling in the blanks and possibly shuffling and reordering. Tech levels 1 and 2 are pre-spaceflight levels; I've actually got all this laid out in a spreadsheet, not sure about attaching it because there's a lot of junk in it too.

Botany: , Agriculture, Hybrids, , , , , , , , ,

Communication: , Writing, Radio/TV, Satellite, , , , , , , ,

Computers: , Abacus, Transistor, Networking, Database, Expert System, Artificial Intelligence, , Artificial Consciousness, , ,

Construction: , Mud Brick, Multi Story, Concrete, Skyscraper, , , , , , ,

Electronics: , Capacitor, Transistor, Computer, Robotics, Cybernetics, Neuronetics, Android, Neural Implant, Technopathics, ,

Energy Production: , Wind/Water, Coal/Steam, Radiation, , Fission, , Fusion, , Antimatter, ,

Entertainment: , Theater, Museum Library, , , , , , , , ,

Espionage: , Spies, Double Agent, Sabotage, Assassination, Doppleganger, , , , , ,

Food Production: , Irrigation, Fertilizer, Hydroponic, , , , Subterran, Terraforming, , Biomorphic,

Government: , Dictator, Laws, Republic, Efficiency, Meritocracy, , , , , ,

Life Support: , Canning, Refrigeration, Irradiation, Biopreservative, , , , , , ,

Manufacturing: , Forging, Factory, Industry, Robotics, , , , , , , Replicator

Materials: , Alloys, Battery, Superconductor, , Programmable Matter, , , Matter Resequencing, , ,

Mathematics: , Mathematics, Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, Statistics, Matrix, Quantum, , , ,

Medical: , Surgery, Medication, Transplant, Cloning, Anti Toxic, Regenerative, Anti Aging, , Reduced Sleep, , Vitamin Independence

Mining: , Tunnelling, , , Full Crust Mining, , Mantle Mining, , Core Mining, , Stellar Mining,

Pollution: , Sewers, Recycling, , , , , , Atmospheric Terraforming, , ,

Infrastructure: , Sewers, Mass Transit, Recycling, Biospheres, Metroplex, Broadcast Power, , , , ,

Psionics: , Extrasensory, Empathy, Telepathy, Telekinetic, Domination, Precognition, , , , ,

Psychology: , , Therapy, Conditioning, Emotion Training, Compartmentalizing, Gestalt, Unification, , , ,

Research: , Library Laboratory, Microscope, Thinktanks, , , , , , , ,

Trade: , Currency, Credit, Stock Securities, Electronc Currency, , , , , , ,

Transportation: , Wheel, Flight, Combustion, Spaceflight, FTL, , , , Wormhole, , Transporter

Warp: , Warp, Flux, Subspace, , Wormhole, Temporal, , , , ,

Chris.

Could a tech level 2 computer be a like Babbage Engine ?

Possibly. The idea is that each tech level has an easily identifiable milestone. From Star Hero and other sources, there's literally dozens of them.

Rethinking it, the abacus just does math; it's not programmable. Replace it with Babbage? No, insert Babbage and shift everything. But that pushes others up higher than I want. (See, this is my creative process at work.) Final answer, Babbage inserted, and a thank you given. :)

Chris.

Campaign, or How do you Roleplay MoO?

By far not the only possible campaign possibility in the MoO universe, here's what I did to establish mine.

Twenty or so years ago, the universe was a much brighter, more advanced place. Then the Antareans came, decimating everything. Technology fell back to pre-spaceflight levels for all races, not just the humans. This set Atareans up as the big bad for the end of the campaign, and dangerous random attacks from them like MoO2. It set all the races back at the same low tech starting point, and gives a good reason for rapid re-advancement along with random Artifacts planets.

To give the PCs the best exposure to MoO, the space exploration, the advancing technology, the diplomacy, the combat...they needed to be military. Not all games in the MoO universe need to be, but this would most closely model the source material. Orders from high command are a great excuse to send them off on their next adventure.

A military campaign with one player ordering the others around may not work for everyone, but there's an answer to that: the committee Captain. The official Captain is an NPC, but decisions and orders can be discussed OOC by the players, with the NPC then giving the agreed upon results. It also sidesteps "Who do we leave behind (in charge) on the ship while we explore the planet?".

And to make them actual HEROes? 150 point PCs in their early twenties, recent graduates from the academy and experts in their fields. Add in rapid XP advancement so they can buy some of the newly invented abilities.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten about MoO, the last/next post was supposed to be basic soldier packages for each of the races.

And it's been kicking my a**.

My brain insists all the races should be built on the same number of base points, but then it runs into various issues: Humans have "no" special abilities (well, Diplomacy in the computer game, but Players rarely want to be diplomats). Where do the points to add races with inherent abilities like Alkari flight or Darlok shapeshift come from? Different characteristics bases work well for some races, but what happens when two races' abilities share the same stat?

I've spent two weeks so far trying to get it right without success. Time to move on to another subject and pick this one up at some other point. Unless my three or so readers have ideas or suggestions.

Chris.

Where do the points to add races with inherent abilities like Alkari flight or Darlok shapeshift come from?

Perhaps a similar vein to D&D3.5 (stop let me finish) Humans get a little extra umph at 1st level,

since elves have nightvision, dwarves have tunnel-sense, etc.

So in your MoO, perhaps humans can have extra profession points, packages, etc. (this doesn't mean ALL 12 billion humans on Earth are worth more points) just the few exceptional space faring ones the game will deal with.

If it things MUST be even, then whoever is most out there (Darlok shape shift probably)

will get the fewest professions, skills, package deal or whtever you're going to call it.

But do thing have to be even ? Or just even after a given starting point.

Why does your brain insist that the races should be built on the same number of base points? I think worrying about balance at the racial level is just too constricting. I would agree with what Egyptoid seems to be implying. That things don't have to be even up front. Even after a given starting point--that is all characters are built on the same total points--should be good enough. After all, the point buy system is what gives Hero a lot of its balance. There are other considerations to balancing characters but that's really up to individual GMs. I think you should just write the races up on however many points it takes and leave the balance issues to the GMs that end up using your material.

Why does your brain insist that the races should be built on the same number of base points?

If I knew why my brain said anything I'd be much better off. ;)

I guess it just "feels" right to start them all off the same. Different GMs and players have different styles and tastes, and I don't want one to be obviously more powerful than another.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Aliens may be the most recognizable facet of the game with about a dozen established races, and the ability to tweak up your own races. On the computer you don't get to decide, but in a MoO Hero game, it's one of the most important decisions to make: who's out there and are they friend or foe?

For my military game with the Antarean decimation (see previous post), I decided the three most important races were the Humans, Psilons and Elerians, as they were interfertile and appeared as legends on the others' homeworlds (grey/Area 51 aliens and elves, respectively). It would be these empires, their clashes and struggles, that set the stage for the events of the game. But could a coalition of "lesser" races rise up to stand against them?

I went back to 'base 8s' to free up some points to craft different 0-point members of each race, then created 50 point soldier packages to reflect different training and emphasis.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my revised skills setup. 0 point Everyman drops to 7-, with 1 point Familiarity a 9-, 2 points in any skill* is an 11-, while 3 points gives you the CHA based value with a minimum of 12-, and each additional point giving a +1 to the roll. *Skills that didn't follow the 3/1 or 3/2 model generally cost the same or didn't apply. Martial Arts are not purchased by maneuvers (makes those who buy it far too superior to those who don't, a focus of the game I don't want), but a successful skill roll gives one 'bonus point' to the attack - OCV, DCV, or 1/2d6 damage. Every +2 of success on the roll gives another bonus.

Rather than giving humans the Diplomacy bonuses of the game (and pigeonholing players) I made them generalists, bumping the normals back to base 10 stats. Package stats are STR 13 DEX 11 CON 13 BOD 11 INT 10 EGO 10 PRE 13 COM 10 PD 3 ED 3 SPD 3 REC 6 END 26 STN 25. Package skills included Breakfall 9-, Climbing 11-, Concealment 11-, KS Martial Arts 11-, Paramedic 11-, PS Soldier 11-, Stealth 11-, Survival 11-, Systems Ops 9-, Tactics 11-, Teamwork 11-, WF Common Melee and WF Small Arms.

Base Eleriens are STR 8 DEX 11 CON 8 BOD 8 INT 8 EGO 10 PRE 13 COM 18 PD 2 ED 2 SPD 2 REC 4 END 18 STN 16. Not quite Tolkien's superior elves, but good enough. Their soldier package jumps the stats to STR 10 DEX 11 CON 10 BOD 10 INT 10 EGO 11 PRE 15 COM 18 PD 3 ED 3 SPD 3 REC 4 END 20 STN 20, with skills Acting 11-, Concealment 9-, Conversation 11-, Deduction 9-, Interrogation 9-, Oratory 9-, Paramedics 9-, Persuasion 11-, PS Soldier 9-, Seduction 11-, Sleight of Hand 11-, SS Psychology 11-, Stealth 9-, Streetwise 11-, Survival 9-, Tactics 9- and 2 points of Weapon Familiarities.

Psilons were a bit more of a challenge - how to reflect the game lore making them thin and weak, with the expensive game bonus Creative. Final answer was STR 8 DEX 8 CON 8 BOD 8 INT 18 EGO 8 PRE 8 COM 8 PD 2 ED 2 SPD 2 REC 4 END 16 STN 16, with a racial +1 Overall Level and Deduction 13-. Their soldier package jumped them to STR 8 DEX 11 CON 8 BOD 8 INT 8 EGO 10 PRE 10 COM 8 PD 2 ED 2 SPD 3 REC 4 END 16 STN 16, with skills Concealment 9-, Computer Programming 11-, Cramming 13-, Electronics 11-, Inventor 11-, Mechanics 9-, Paramedics 9-, PS Soldier 11-, SS (Choose) 11-, Stealth 9-, Survival 11-, Systems Ops 11-, Tactics 13- and 2 points of Weapon Familiarities.

With Psilons having racial skills, it paves the way for some of the other races with innate powers like Alkari flight, rather than just stat-modded Bulrathi or Klackon(+SPD).

Chris.

• 1 month later...

A month since my last post.

Bulrathi are pretty obvious, statted up as STR 18 DEX 8 CON 13 BOD 10 INT 7 EGO 7 PRE 10 COM 8 PD 4 ED 3 SPD 2 REC 7 END 26 STN 26. Soldier package upped them to STR 20 DEX 8 CON 18 BOD 13 INT 8 EGO 8 PRE 13 COM 8 PD 5 ED 5 SPD 2 REC 8 END 36 STN 32. Skills for them are Climbing 11-, Concealment 11-, Martial Arts 11-, Paramedics 11-, PS Soldier 11-, Stealth 11-, Survival 11-, Tactics 11-, Tracking 11-, 3 points of Weapon Familiarities and a 5 point HtH Combat Level.

Then the Klackon, extra SPD to simulate their production bonus. Extra Limbs for 5 points, STR 10 DEX 10 CON 9 BOD 8 INT 8 EGO 8 PRE 8 COM 8 PD 2 ED 2 SPD 3 REC 4 END 18 STN 18. Add a soldier package to make them STR 13 DEX 11 CON 13 BOD 10 INT 8 EGO 8 PRE 10 COM 8 PD 3 ED 3 SPD 4 REC 6 END 26 STN 24. Skills are Ambidexterity (3 pts/12-), Climbing 11-, Concealment 9-, Electronics 9-, Mechanics 12-, Paramedics 9-, PS (Choose) 11-, PS Soldier 11-, Survival 9-, Systems Ops 11-, Tactics 9-, Teamwork 12- and 3 points of Weapon Familiarities. The open PS is for some kind of manufacturing or building thing type skill.

Here kitty, kitty, Mrrshan... STR 10 DEX 14 CON 10 BOD 8 INT 10 EGO 8 PRE 10 COM 10 PD 2 ED 2 SPD 2 REC 4 END 20 STN 18. Upgrade to soldier and get STR 11 DEX 18 CON 11 BOD 10 INT 10 EGO 8 PRE 10 COM 10 PD 2 ED 2 SPD 3 REC 4 END 22 STN 22. Add skills Breakfall 13-, Climbing 11-, Concealment 11-, Martial Arts 12-, Paramedics 9-, PS Soldier 11-, Stealth 13-, Survival 11-, Tactics 9-, Teamwork 9-, Tracking 11- and 3 points of Weapon Familiarities.

Gnolams are not my personal favorite, but at least interesting and easy enough to build. STR 8 DEX 11 CON 8 BOD 8 INT 10 EGO 8 PRE 18 COM 6 PD 2 ED 2 SPD 2 REC 4 END 16 STN 16. Join the Trade Guild, er, military and get STR 11 DEX 11 CON 11 BOD 9 INT 13 EGO 10 PRE 10 COM 6 PD 2 ED 2 SPD 3 REC 4 END 22 STN 22. Learn the following Bribery 9-, Bureaucratics 11-, Conversation 11-, Gambling 11-, High Society 11-, Paramedics 9-, Persuasion 13-, PS Soldier 11-, Streetwise 11-, Survival 9-, Tactics 11-, Teamwork 9-, Trading 13- and 3 points of Weapon Familiarities.

No Alkari? Flight is easy, juggling other points isn't working out as desired. Sakkra and Silicoid next; Darlok shapeshift is going to be expensive, and I'm not sure yet what to do with Meklar and Trilarians.

Given the template style, should be able to generate new alien races the same way. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

Chris.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Equipment Kits for various specializations/jobs within a military corps. Probably also usable as miscellaneous equipment in other genres.

EverySoldier Kit:

Personal Locator/IFF Transmitter

Multitool: Light, Knife/Saw, Opener, File, Screwdriver, Pliers, Scissors, Spark

Surveillance Kit: Audio/Visual Sensors, Bug Sweeper, White Noise Generator, Strobe Light, UV Light, Laser Microphone, Radio Monitor/Decrypter

Climbing Kit: 25m rope, grapnel, rappelling harness, 4 pitons with hammer, Autoclimber

Computer Kit: Computer, Display Goggles, Holomonitor, Keyboard, Network, Printer, Scanner, Debugger, Decompiler, Decrypter, Firewall, Database

Criminal Kit: Camera, Gloves/Booties, Tweezers/Vacuum, Fingerprinting, Samples Case

Fingerprint/Identity Database, Spectrometer, Weapon Analyzer

Demolitions Kit: Incendiary Cord 5m, Tripwire 20m, Explosive 1kg, Detonators, Wire 10m, Wire Cutters

Electronics Kit: Voltmeter, Wire 100m, Wire Cutters, Electric Tape, Solder Gun, Magnets, Mini Tools, Magnifier, Logic Chip/Board

Electronics Analyzer/Bypass:

Lockpicking Kit: Lockpicks, Combination Breaker

Mechanics Kit: Adj Wrench, Screwdriver, Drill, Saw, File, +Power, Welder

Parts Kit: Screws, Bolts, Nuts, Nails, Oil, Cloth, Cleanser

Medical Kit: Bandages, Wound Sealer, Drugs

Surgical Kit: Antiseptic, Saline, Scalpel, Cauterizer, Clamps, Forceps, Retractors, Bone Saw, Drugs

Medicine Kit: Antiseptic, Painkiller, Sedative, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Carbon/Charcoal

Bio Monitor(Blood Pressure, Pulse, Respiration, EEG), Medical Analyzer

X Ray/MRI Scanner, Defibrillator, Respirator, Thermal Blanket, Dialysis

Engineers Kit: Duct tape 50m, Portable Framework, Crowbar/Shovel, Stiff Wire

Jack, Brace, Clamp, Block/Tackle, Nails/Screws/Bolts/Nuts, Putty, Epoxy, Silicone

Chemical/Science Kit: Chemsniffer, Microscope, Spectrometer, Scale, Micrometer, Test Agents, Sample Case, Fire Extinguisher

Survival Kit: Multitool, Compass, Metal Pan .5m sq, Silicone Water bladder, Waterproof silk sheet, Extendable Mirror, Marker, Rations 30 days, Water Purifier

Weapons Kit: Cleaner, Oil, Cloth, Spare Parts

Ammo Reloader: