sword of truth hero

Ndreare

Re: sword of truth hero

Hack is just a generic term for typing up conversions from one source to another.

Basically I am wondering if there are good conversions for powers like they have in the books.

Some powers such as the Mordsith can be built in multiple ways as mind control damage fields or transform damage shield. And I am looking to save myself the time.

I have never seen anything' date=' but I am SOOOOO glad you referenced the books instead of the horrible television version. I would love to see write-ups for some of the powers and how someone would build the Seekers sword.[/quote']

That TV show was awful, and had nothing to do with the books. I watched the first episode and knew it was not for me.

I liked the Tv series. It was quite different from the books, which the producers were very clear on from the outset. I've read all the books except for the last one (just need to get to it, maybe after I read A Memory of Light) and it would be a really difficult property to translate to the screen. Maybe on HBO they could do it justice. However the tv show they made was pretty cool in its own right. Decent production values. The acting was decent to good depending on the actor (Bruce Spence as Zeddicus was wonderful, and Bridget Reagan cast as Kahlan was good as well) and they actually did go a few places I didn't expect them to go. The books are of variable quality as well, with the early works being notable with one or two books I consider exceptional with the rest being merely average, in my opinion.

The First Confessor stats right of with the in your face hammer of bluntness and preaching but does not have anything real interesting to make up for it. I would say it is the least of his works.

I did like the closing trilogy to the original series though.

Okay so working through it some of the powers are pretty stock.

Additive magic allows pretty much whatever multi-power slots the character can justify by changing or adding to something. The need for a multi-power slot reflect why things like why Ann would need to go hunting others to heal her journey book.

Attacks versus power defense cannot be created without subjective magic and power defense can only be had through subjective magic.

A confessors power write up pretty easily as follows

50 - Confessor’s Touch: Major Transform 20d6 (Person into Person who Loves the Confessor, Death); 1 Charge (Some confessors have recoverable on their Charge. Males do not have charges.; -2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; shockwave = flash versus sound.; -0) 20 end

15 - Equal to Kings & Queens: Fringe Benefit: Confessor

The sword of truth itself seams to just be a very high damage class HKA. Useing hit location rules makes it easy

46- Sword of Truth 4D6 HKA (AOE: Accurate +1/2, OAF -1, Side Effect -berserk -1/4, Limited Power cannot be used 'falsly' +0) 9 end

Many of the races (faeries, garr) are simple rips from the bestiary.

But the Morde sithe ability to capture magic is hard to create without hand waving.

I am looking at a persistent mind control with many ranks of damage negation and appropriate limitations. But even writing it up, leaves me 'feeling' it is wrong. Any ideas?

PS: I should note the inability of the Morde Sithe to capture or control subtractive magic is importan(sister or the dark, dark wizards or death from the touch of a confessor because after all things are removed then the additive cannot replace it with love).

I don't remember anything in the series that would warrant the Sword of Truth having a 4D6 HKA as base. 2D6 certainly (is it a broadsword or Bastard sword? I don't think it's greatsword sized) with the ability to reach 4D6k at maximum (if you are adhering to DC maximums). What the Sword does is that it causes the true wielder to burn with a "Righteous Anger" which I would right up as a form of controlled berserk (extra STR, DEX, CON, BOD, SPD, PD, ED and STN) which in the series makes Richard very, very difficult to stop. It also passes the knowledge of the fighting ability of every wielder that passed before Richard directly to him, which makes him one of the finest combatants in the world, even without the "Righteous Anger" Boost. Maybe it provides extra Combat Skill Levels to the wielder? Martial Maneuvers? Talents?

According to the Sword of Truth wiki, the sword could cut through anything The Seeker saw as an enemy (limited Armor Piercing?). When the Seekers "Righteous Anger" turned to Rage, the blade would burn red and The Seeker would grow more powerful (even more STR, CON, STN?) also, when The Seeker's anger was tempered by love and compassion, the blade of the sword would burn white and this is the only time the blade could harm an innocent. It can deflect some magics (especially directed spells like Lighting and such...Missile Deflection!) The sword can also warn the wielder of impending danger subtly (Danger Sense) and it is likely the sword is nigh indestructible.

Also, the Sword eventually turns the wielder into a quivering shadow of their former self through the manipulation of anger. This would be a low Transform vs Ego that happens slowly over time. However the True Seeker (aka Richard Rahl) is immune to this effect (the one who can turn the Sword white) so maybe the effect is removed when the Sword is turned White.

I probably wouldn't add a Berserk limitation to the weapon as the wielder doesn't ever attack his friends (that I remember, its been a long time though) but I would definitely add an "Enraged".

Mord SIth. Hmmm...lets see...

Maybe a really big honking Dispel on a Trigger. Then a big honking Mind Control on a trigger, that triggers if the Dispel is successful in stopping the power as it is unleashed. The Mind Control is limited to stopping the character from using their powers (all of them) or forcing them to use their powers. The other powers of the Mord Sith are Ego Attack (pain) and Mental Illusions (limited to sense of touch effects).

The Mord-Sith's Aiel would be a Focus for a Multi-power consisting of a No-range Energy Blast (8D6?) a Stun-only Energy Blast (or Stun Drain?) and a Killing Attack (Strength does not add). There is also a Side Effect of a continuous low grade Energy Blast effect that effects the wielder. As long as their REC can handle it, they should be fine. Perhaps some Pain Resistance Talent could be applied to it.

Mord SIth. Hmmm...lets see...

Maybe a really big honking Dispel on a Trigger. Then a big honking Mind Control on a trigger, that triggers if the Dispel is successful in stopping the power as it is unleashed. The Mind Control is limited to stopping the character from using their powers (all of them) or forcing them to use their powers. The other powers of the Mord Sith are Ego Attack (pain) and Mental Illusions (limited to sense of touch effects).

The Mord-Sith's Aiel would be a Focus for a Multi-power consisting of a No-range Energy Blast (8D6?) a Stun-only Energy Blast (or Stun Drain?) and a Killing Attack (Strength does not add). There is also a Side Effect of a continuous low grade Energy Blast effect that effects the wielder. As long as their REC can handle it, they should be fine. Perhaps some Pain Resistance Talent could be applied to it.

@NuSoardgraphit the reason I went with such a high dc is because the sword cuts through every thing. Stone steel or magic it does not matter. You are right about engaged over berserk and some of the other tasks. I took the accurate advantage to reflect the skill of other users richard gained. But would not think everyone gets that. Note that Golem, err I mean Samuel did not get any of those. Most of them never showed up until after richard bonded the sword.

@everyone else the trouble is in getting the feel of the mord sith right in the capture magic area. I agree about the aiel. Perhaps the capture magic could work as limited desolidification and a mind control damage shield.

I know it is not perfect but the sorceress is able to use multiple subtle magics on a mord sith making her walk around in circles, and then entrapping her to hate and ignore attempts to kill the Lord Rahl. I get the impression it is more like an Advanced block or something. So perhaps instead of desolidification it is more like a deflection linked to a persistent mind control. Then they buy a lot of skill levels with the maneuver?

@everyone else the trouble is in getting the feel of the mordsith right in the capture magic area. I agree about the aiel. Perhaps the capture magic could work as limited desolidification and a mind control damage shield.

I know it is not perfect brags the sorceress so makes one of them follow around in circles and then mind controls her. I get the impression it is more like an Advanced block or something.

I think Dispel works best. Remember that Dispel can be used as a perfect defense when one uses it with a saved action to counter an effect (spell). A Dispel that is automatically triggered can be a very powerful defense if it is big enough to Dispel most anything.

@NuSoardgraphit the reason I went with such a high dc is because the sword cuts through every thing. Stone steel or magic it does not matter. You are right about engaged over berserk and some of the other tasks. I took the accurate advantage to reflect the skill of other users richard gained. But would not think everyone gets that. Note that Golem' date=' err I mean Samuel did not get any of those. Most of them never showed up until after richard bonded the sword.[/quote']

The difference between Samuel and Richard is that Richard was the truly named Seeker and not just someone using the blade. The Sword of Truth is only fully usable by the Seeker.

And it's "agiel".

The "Aiel" are those from the Three-fold Land in The Wheel of Time.

The Mord Sith don't Dispel. They redirect and reflect.

I'm pretty sure that the Mord-Sith capture a wizards magic when it is sent against them. I do remember some deflection ability, but i got the impression that this wasnt necessary and that the Mord Sith usually did this to prove a point (I now control your magic. I OWN you). I know in the tv series, the Mord Sith deflected magic routinely but i think that was simply the most convenient visual effect to show their powers on TV.

I don't remember anything in the series that would warrant the Sword of Truth having a 4D6 HKA as base. 2D6 certainly (is it a broadsword or Bastard sword? I don't think it's greatsword sized) with the ability to reach 4D6k at maximum (if you are adhering to DC maximums). What the Sword does is that it causes the true wielder to burn with a "Righteous Anger" which I would right up as a form of controlled berserk (extra STR, DEX, CON, BOD, SPD, PD, ED and STN) which in the series makes Richard very, very difficult to stop. It also passes the knowledge of the fighting ability of every wielder that passed before Richard directly to him, which makes him one of the finest combatants in the world, even without the "Righteous Anger" Boost. Maybe it provides extra Combat Skill Levels to the wielder? Martial Maneuvers? Talents?

According to the Sword of Truth wiki, the sword could cut through anything The Seeker saw as an enemy (limited Armor Piercing?). When the Seekers "Righteous Anger" turned to Rage, the blade would burn red and The Seeker would grow more powerful (even more STR, CON, STN?) also, when The Seeker's anger was tempered by love and compassion, the blade of the sword would burn white and this is the only time the blade could harm an innocent. It can deflect some magics (especially directed spells like Lighting and such...Missile Deflection!) The sword can also warn the wielder of impending danger subtly (Danger Sense) and it is likely the sword is nigh indestructible.

Also, the Sword eventually turns the wielder into a quivering shadow of their former self through the manipulation of anger. This would be a low Transform vs Ego that happens slowly over time. However the True Seeker (aka Richard Rahl) is immune to this effect (the one who can turn the Sword white) so maybe the effect is removed when the Sword is turned White.

This was true in the books as well. Even Zed was worried for him until he turned the sword white which basically broke the curse.

I probably wouldn't add a Berserk limitation to the weapon as the wielder doesn't ever attack his friends (that I remember' date=' its been a long time though) but I would definitely add an "Enraged".[/quote']

Very good write up NuSoardGraphite. :-)

The obvious power for a Mord Sith to have is Absorption with some kind of all or nothing Limitation and a very delayed return rate. The points gained from Absorption would go into an Ego Attack and or Energy Blast that could only be used on the person whose powers the Mord Sith had absorbed.

As for the Agiel. I would write up one up as a no range blast with the advantage attack versus alternative defence, the defence being a successful Ego roll or possibly mental defence.

E.g. Blast 6d6, Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Ego Roll; +1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (User suffers extreme pain.; -1), No Range (-1/2).

The Agiel is insanely painful and anyone touched by it for the first time is not likely to be able to fight back, no matter how tough they are. But it is possible for people to become used to the pain and train themselves to overcome it. Hence the Ego roll.

It might be more faithful to the books to impose penalties on the Ego roll and increase the cost of the power accordingly. The average person should not be able to shrug off the touch of an Agiel.

The Agiel is more versatile than this however.

Pressing the weapon against skin for a second or so leaves a bleeding welt, this could be defined as a 1 point Killing Attack, though Richard survived many such attacks in a single session so the difference between this and a normal Agiel attack may be cosmetic in Hero terms.

Pressing an Agiel into someone's ear causes even more extreme agony than normal. This pain is magnified if another Agiel is inserted into the other ear, (Terry Goodkind is a very sick man), and unless the victim manages to keep their head still they will suffer permanent brain damage, (Drain Int).

Most dramatically, placing an Agiel over someone's heart and twisting it will kill them instantly. Can't remember if it has to be touching skin.

I considered most of that just narrative flare and figured the agiel was a Cattle proud. In the hands of an expert torturer.

Here is some of what I have. Cut and paste from HD so far.

POWERS

Confessor Package**

1)* Confessor’s Touch: Major Transform 20d6 (Person into Person who Loves the Confessor, Death); 1 Charge (Some confessors have recoverable on their Charge. Males do not have charges.; -), Costs END (-), No Range (-), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; shockwave = flash versus sound.; -). END 20 **(200 AP, 50 RP)

2)* Equal to Kings & Queens: Fringe Benefit: Confessor* (15 AP, 15 RP)

Noble and wizard package from Fantasy Hero

Morde Sith Powers**

1)* Capture Magic: Mind Control 12d6, Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Power Defence; +), Persistent (+), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Blocks Use of Gift; +); Only to Control Targets Gift (-)* (150 AP, 50 RP)

2)* Morde Sith Training: +5 with Block Magic Use* (10 AP, 10 RP)

3)* Intensive Training: Interrogation 16-* (13 AP, 13 RP)

Assassin Package from Fantasy Hero

Agiel: 45-point Multipower, (45 Active Points); all slots No Range (-), Feedback 1D6 stun every phase powers are used. (-)* (45 AP, 22 RP) the special effect is considered electricity for purchasing defenses

1)* Inflict Pain: Blast 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +) (45 Active Points)* (45 AP, 2 RP)

2)* Intent to Kill: RKA 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +) (45 Active Points)* (45 AP, 2 RP)

The Sword of Truth, all slots IIF (-)**

>> Note: These powers release in progression as the character masters the sword or is mastered by it.To represent the bonding the character spends his points on purchasing the Experience of Swords Wielders skills. To bond the sword will require the character to have both additive and subtractive magic as well as the ability to love. Note this is largely a cinematic cliché and not a rote formula.

1)* Sword of Truth: HKA 2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Penetrating (x2; +) (60 Active Points); OAF (-), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Enraged; -), Can only be used in 'Truth' (it is complicated read the wiki; -). END 6 **(60 AP, 22 RP)

>> If the user is not able to master the sword then the rage of the sword will corrupt him permanently.

2)* Warnings: Danger Sense (self only, any danger) (30 Active Points) 16-* (30 AP, 24 RP)

3)* Experience of Swords Wielders: Analyze: Combat 14- (13 Active Points)* (13 AP, 10 RP)

4)* KS: Martial Arts (literal sense, not oriental sense) (7 Active Points) 14-* (7 AP, 6 RP)

5)* Experience of Swords Wielders: +5 with All Attacks (50 Active Points)* (50 AP, 40 RP)

6)* Experience of Swords Wielders: Tactics 14- (13 Active Points)* (13 AP, 10 RP)