Reputation & Renoun

phydaux

I need some help with resources for handling Reputation & Renoun.

Renoun would be how easily the general polulace can put your name & costume together. How famous you are.

Reputation would be what it is you are known for. Is he remembered for saving kittens from trees, or for demolishing a daycare center during your fight with Doctor Smegma?

I'm thinking I'll handle Renoun as a 0 pip disadd, and Rep as a sliding scale from +5 to -5 with all PCs starting at 0.

Input welcome.

Re: Reputation & Renoun

Reputation already exists in Champions both as Perks or Complications.

As for Renoun, it's quite the same, tough if you needed to, you could create a custom Perk for it. And giving a PRE based bonus on Rolls imho.

I'm a Star Gem!

Opale

The existing mechanic would seem to cover what you want. Since I gather from the other thread that you want to make this a campaign focus' date=' I'd suggest you buy it twice. Once for rep and again for renown.[/quote']

I like the idea of Renoun being a 0 point disadd since I will insist that every PC have it as a function of the campaign. So it will not hurt or benifit any one PC more than any other. And Reputation being a flexible scale that can change session to session.

For example, most knights are as beloved with the small folk as their last tourny placement. But Ser Jamie paid points for his Bad Reputation, and he will be called Kingslayer no matter how many tournies he wins.

Let's start first with the Reputation Perk/Disad.

Reputation, 11-, What You're Known For, How Many People Know That Rep.

Renoun would be how easily the general polulace can put your name & costume together. How famous you are.

All right, so this is the roll-based and 'Population-based' part of the reputation: 11-, A Large Group.

Reputation would be what it is you are known for. Is he remembered for saving kittens from trees' date=' or for demolishing a daycare center during your fight with Doctor Smegma?[/quote']

This, on the other hand, is the defined part of the Reputation - as stated, what you're known for. This can be advantageous (Reputation perk, giving you bonuses to PRE Attacks based on your good name and social interactions), or disadvantageous (everyone expects you to throw yourself in front of the bus and save their kitten - OR eat not only the bus, but the kitten too, though this often means you'll get an advantage in the 'fear' PRE Attack).

What it sounds like you want is to simply use those bonuses, and modify them mid-game. What I'd do is this:

Inform everyone that you'll be actively using and frequently changing their Reputation (both Perk and Disad) in game; they can spend points to 'get a head start', but those points could easily be lost if they do stupid or bad things. Then at the end of each chapter of the adventure, depending on how well known the exploit is (or, as the game goes on, if that part of their career is 'brought out into the light') you'll be adding or taking away from their reputation. This works especially well if new heroes have to register with someone, or there's a group that takes an intense interest in any new hero running around - a daily magazine about supers, for example.

So Nightshade the Newbie might be: Reputation (A small to medium sized group) 8-, +0/+0d6. Only the people who read page 28, the 'new hero' announcement page in the Daily Deed are going to recognize the hero, and maybe not even then. "Oh, yeah, I read about you."

As he goes about doing good deeds, the Daily Deed reports his actions, and he gets moved up to Page 16, 'Do-Gooders'. Reputation (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +0/+0d6. People still aren't going to recognize him as readily, and not many right now, but he's more recognizeable.

So he does more good stuff. Reputation (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6. The people who read Page 16 are becoming more impressed with what he's done, are willing to trust him, etc.

But wait - he saves the city!! That's a page 9 event!! Reputation (A medium-sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6. A lot more people read page nine, Local Heroes, than page 16.

And again, he saves the city!! Reputation (A medium-sized group) 14-, +1/+1d6. Everyone in town is going to recognize him - but if he goes out of Campaign City, probably not. Believe it or not, only at this point have we gone past 1 character point.

But then he gets invited into the Avengers/JLA. That's worldwide information on Page 3. Reputation (A large group) 11-, +1/+1d6. His local recognition may still be up at 14-, but worldwide, he's got an 11- - or even just an 8-.

All the while, his 'Hero Save My Kitty!' reputation may grow with the above, so on and so forth. If he does bad, though, that gets highlighted, and while he may entirely LOSE his positive reputation - "Nightshade Noodge!! Luke Skywalker Turns To Dark Side!! Film At 11!!" - if it was a straight-out mistake and he shows remorse and serves a sentence or otherwise pays his dues, he could get that good rep back fairly quickly.