How To Build: Super-Rolling With The Punch

Mephron

One of my my primary characters is a martial artist. The campaign is just now getting restarted with the Power Of Fred, and I'm trying to build a power that doesn't seem to fit anything currently extant, so I thought I'd call on the brains of Herodom Assembled for help.

The concept: Someone manages to hit Steel Thunder. Knockback is done. How do you reduce knockback damage without minimizing the amount of knockback? Her ki powers are more designed on movement and attack, not on things like 'rooting to the earth'. More like a super rolling-with-the-punch, controlling the knockback with her martial arts and acrobatic skills.

I was thinking something like Knockback Resistance, only to reduce damage dice from knockback, does not reduce distance moved (together making about a -1/2), Requires An Acrobatics Roll (not sure which level to use). But I'm wondering if there's a cleaner way to do it.

And so, I came here.

Originally posted by Monolith

Damage Reduction, Only For Knockback & Requires Acrobatics Roll or additional Armor with the same Limitations would work too. You can also just use the Breakfall skill which will reduce the damage to half, assuming you do not hit a wall or something.

My GM claims that rule is 'broken' and therefore nonusable in this situation. So now I have to fudge for it...

I recently did something similar for a kinetic-control character, "Rebound".

Given how you're defining it as super acrobatics, I'd go for the KB resistance with limit approach - that way, not only you but what you hit would take the reduced level of damage - allowing you to "bounce" off of the wall, etc. With damage reduction, you'd burst through the brick wall, but be fine yourself. Doesn't feel right for martial arts/acrobatic-guy.

I agree with the original conception you had...

10" (or however far you want) Knockback Resistance; Requires Unmodified Acrobatics Roll (-1/4), Only Reduces KB Damage, Not Distance (-1/2)

I.e. -- you get slammed for 15" of Knockback. You take 15" of Knockback. You go flying across the battlefield to land roughly...

... and you take KB damage as if you'd flown only (15 - 10 = ) 5 hexes.

So KB up to N distance doesn't damage you at all, and then starts damaging you only lightly.