News: SF-style Medical Gadget

clsage

Which article you can read on your wireless communications device, smaller than a paperback book, not much heavier than a pen, which is connected to a world-wide communications network containing a large portion of the sum total of human knowledge, art, religion, culture, philosophy, ethics, history, economical activity, etc., in which you can find nearly any subject you are looking for using massive computerized calculation engines capable of searching the near-endless seas of knowledge to almost always deliver what you want, usually in less time that it would take to type out the query.

Including at least one page on which it is possible to pay for (and possibly even receive) your own, personal, jetpack.

"You're pulling my leg, right?" - Test subject from 1972.

The tech in the OP is very interesting because I know that, for certain types of breaks, it is very difficult to get the bone to grow back together.  If you could basically epoxy it back together with something like this it could greatly improve the outlook for people with those kinds of injuries.

3-D printing is flippin' huge in medicine these days.  They're printing organs for chrissakes.

Haven't looked at the article, but breaks that would be hard to heal anyway -- like a dislocated collum femoris fracture -- wouldn't be much helped by glue. Disrupted blood flow would still lead to necrosis of the caput.

It's not just glue. It's printing additional bone cells on the break (for actual details of application, ask a doctor; I don't have a clue how you'd apply it, practically speaking).

I'm in med school, and spent the spring term with the orthopedics. I still say blood flow is the main trouble -- how is oxygen be able to get to the osteoblasts through a polymer?

It'll be interesting to see how the trials turn out.

Well, you'd know more on the subject than I do. It could be porous, but I'm also not a chemist and don't know how ridiculous the idea of a porous polymer might be.