Aeromobil V2.5 Roadable Aircraft

AlHazred

The Aeromobil V2.5 prototype roadable aircraft has achieved its first flight. Due to some unsubstantiated hyperbolic claims regarding the feasibility of "flying cars," this field of vehicles labors under something of a cloud. However, there have been many positive developments in the area over the last few years, and it seems likely that roadable aircraft will be marketable within ten years. So, in a fit of fanboyish enthusiasm, I thought I'd crank out a Hero version.

You can find the .hdc file here.

Vehicle - Aeromobil V2.5.pdf

the fed govt - they would have to change the license laws to allow one license to work for both ground and air AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE.  the current sys reqs one license for ground and another for air.  the ground is affordable(?) but the air is not.

A valid issue, but not one that the construction of a roadable aircraft would solve...  The issue you are referring to is a political one that would exist with or without a viable personal aircraft design. 

The bureaucratic issue is not the one I was thinking of (though it's also a serious concern).  The problem that "flying cars" are supposed to solve is taking traffic out of everyday commuting by replacing it with flight.  But unless your home and office are both right next to airfields, roadable aircraft aren't going to do anything about that, and in every case so far, roadable aircraft have been poor aircraft and poor automobiles.

Addressing the problem that humans really want solved--flight from driveway to downtown--will require:

1) Some sort of helicopter.

2) Fully computerized operation.

3) Infrastructure to support this mode of travel (eg helipads in the city).

4) FAA regs that permit it all.

Roadable aircraft are an interesting engineering exercise but they don't address any actual problems that I'm aware of.  Drones, on the other hand, do present a possible path to flying-car utopia.  It's easy to see automated drone operation progressing to the point where they'd be reliable enough for man-rated operation, and they're forcing changes at the FAA to accommodate them.

The bureaucratic issue is not the one I was thinking of (though it's also a serious concern).  The problem that "flying cars" are supposed to solve is taking traffic out of everyday commuting by replacing it with flight.  But unless your home and office are both right next to airfields, roadable aircraft aren't going to do anything about that, and in every case so far, roadable aircraft have been poor aircraft and poor automobiles.

Short of practical antigravity, I don't see road traffic being simply replaced by flight. But with a compact and powerful ducted-fan V/STOL "car", a flying limo or taxi (or ambulance) is more likely. You still have the dual-license issue, but then you aren't trying to get *everyone* into the sky.