Classic comic book characters; point limit? We don't need no stinking...

Echo3Niner

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my Cyclops on 250 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

12 Combat Luck +6 rPD +6 rED

3 Combat Piloting [Military Aircraft] 13-

6 CSL: EB +3

3 Conversation 13-

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Dodge

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

3 Navigation [Air & Space] 13-

5 Offensive Strike

3 Oratory 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Tactics 13-

4 TF: Helicopters, Large Aircraft, Small Aircraft, Science Fiction & Space Vehicles, X-Jet

Total Skills Cost: 75 Points

Cost Powers

40 Multipower (50 Points) Not versus Ruby Quartz (-1/4)

3 u) EB 5d6, No END Persistent (+1), Always On (-1/2)

2 u) Missile Deflection [All Ranged Attacks] +5, OIF/IAF: Goggles/Glasses (-1/2)

7 No Always On on EB, OIF/IIAF: Goggles/Glasses (-1/2)

16 EB +5d6, No END (+1/2), Linked (-1/2), Not versus Ruby Quartz (-1/4), OIF/IAF:: Goggles/Glasses (-1/2)

5 Mind Link [Jean Grey], No LOS, Only With Those Who Have Mind Link (-1), Psychic Bond (-1)

2 Running +1"

Total Powers Cost: 75 Points

My Cyclops is built with my standard Martial Artist Superhero Characteristics.  His EB is Always on unless he's wearing either his Goggles or Glasses.  His Missile Deflection is using his EB to deflect any incoming attacks.  His linked EB is the additional control he has over his EB using his Goggles/Glasses.  He has a psychic bond with Jean Grey.  His skills are those of a Martial Artist and Pilot who can fly anything. He also has some leadership skills, and the combat levels with his EB.

Your build seems to make him a better HTH combatant than I recall him being (at least through the late 90's/early 2000's).

Also, I admit I'm not clear enough on the rules (as I've mentioned, I haven't played for years, and I'm just getting into the new CC rules), but I've seen his optic blast do some MAJOR damage when he's opened his visor most of the way, so it seems 5d6 is awfully low.  He could easily kill a normal, and often makes mention of how he has to pull it back or he could kill other mutants as well (bad guys).  Unless you have some modifier on that 5d6 that makes it far more powerful, then I'd at least double it.

Remember, the point of this thread, IS NOT to try to limit the points to any specific number, but to accurately portray the powers of the mature heroes and then determine what the point total would be.

Based on other builds I've now found of him around the 'net; his blast usually is 12 to 20d6 (depending on the builder), and his total is usually between 400 and 500 points.

Cassandra I think you should look at lowering the always on on the EB to perhaps a -1/4. First its in a multipower and you can change the slot which isn't always on and you have it in a multipower which has also stops the always on. So it isn't always on. Just my opinion. : )

That is a good point about the EB Always on in a Multipower.  I do rationalize it by having Cyclops buy off the Always On using his Goggles.  Without the Goggles he's stuck firing off the EB unless he keeps his eyes closed.

I will be modifying this build by adding "Gestures" (-1/4) for his OIF/IAF because he has to use his hand to activate them.

Your build seems to make him a better HTH combatant than I recall him being (at least through the late 90's/early 2000's).

Also, I admit I'm not clear enough on the rules (as I've mentioned, I haven't played for years, and I'm just getting into the new CC rules), but I've seen his optic blast do some MAJOR damage when he's opened his visor most of the way, so it seems 5d6 is awfully low.  He could easily kill a normal, and often makes mention of how he has to pull it back or he could kill other mutants as well (bad guys).  Unless you have some modifier on that 5d6 that makes it far more powerful, then I'd at least double it.

Remember, the point of this thread, IS NOT to try to limit the points to any specific number, but to accurately portray the powers of the mature heroes and then determine what the point total would be.

Based on other builds I've now found of him around the 'net; his blast usually is 12 to 20d6 (depending on the builder), and his total is usually between 400 and 500 points.

My builds tend to have a 60 Active Points Max.  That's EB 12d6.  I might be able to increase his power with the change I'll be making (See previous post).

Cyke is a pretty good fighter hand to hand, but yeah his blast has to be 15d6 at least.  I gave him that for the build I did, I think, and Havok like 18d6.  Cyclops is a bit campaign breaking because he's a glass cannon, a one-trick pony.  He only does one thing although I suppose you could represent his leadership abilities with a CV Aid he can give others.

His blast is solar powered, and he can run out of energy after a while, but the only time I've seen it happen was once in an X-Men annual when he was out of the sun too long.  Probably not worth a limitation.

Cyke has a low-level of absorption that usually doesn't get statted in any game system. He was blasted by Storm with lightning so that he could absorb and process it so that he could use his optic blast.

If you're going to model Cyke with a multipower, then you'll want to have one major blast slot when he is lacking glasses/visor and have lock out on all other slots in the event he his lacking his control mechanism (glasses/visor).

In addition to Greywind's advice above, all of Cyclop's Eye-Blast related powers and/or Multipower slots should be bought as Unified Powers in my opinion. Since he shouldn't be able to use a weaker blast slot, or use his beams to deflect missiles after having suffered an effect that would drain/suppress an aspect of that power... Although from the looks of it both of the builds above are for 5th edition, meaning all of the powers should instead be contained in the same Elemental Control, and have appropriate Lockout modifiers to keep them from being combined inappropriately.

If I Remember Correctly: 5th Edition gave the suggestion of allowing players to pay the normal Endurance Cost of the power (or what it would have been based on it's Active Points) in order to "suppress" it (Turn it off as long as Endurance is paid, like a reverse Constant Power). By special effect, this be Cyclops holding his hands over his eyes, which I think I've seen him do when "disarmed" in the cartoons I watched as a child.

Which makes me wonder, Is Cyclops entirely immune to his own Optical Lasers (or are his eyelids and skull embedded with the same or a similar material as his rose-colored visor/sun glasses)?

If he is immune he should also take Personal Immunity so nobody can sucker him into hitting himself or use Reflection against him.

I still think Cyclops is built best with his eye blast being mostly a complication; he can either be blind or his power goes off uncontrollably at everything he looks at.  Physical Comp and a variant of Dependence, perhaps.  And yeah, Havok and Cyclops have a sort of shared personal immunity that sometimes does knockback and sometimes does not, apparently based on the writer's whim.

Well it does if there are no other modifiers.  The thing is, Cyclops doesn't always have to use gestures to fire his blasts.  He usually does, but its not a totally consistent story.   In any case, the trigger is in his gloves as well as his visor, so its pretty tough to restrain his gestures, so I don't know if it really applies.