Batman - What age?

phydaux

Originally posted by Kristopher

In the Animated Series timeline, Barbara never becomes Oracle, as far as I can tell.

Geez, you know this is one of the things that realy bugs me about comics.

I WANT CONTINUITY!

We wouldn't except this from any other genera. Why do we comics fans accept such utter disregard for continuity?

Just what the hell do Editors-in-Chief DO anyway, if not safeguard continuity?

sigh... End rant.

Originally posted by Theron

Urm...ensure good and entertaining stories, perhaps?

Continuity is overrated.

And THAT is why comics publishers don't give a hoot about continuity.

We can have good stories AND continuity. All it takes is effort on the part of the publishers. But the publishers won't MAKE the effort as long as they know the readers don't give a crap.

"Why feed them cake, when the peasents will eat dirt?"

Damn it, this isn't 1965! The average comics reader isn't 10 years old any more. We've been reading for years and know what has happened in the universe. For years of continuity to go out the window just because they hired a new line editor is an insult to the fan base.

And if they don't respect us, the fans, who pay their salary by shelling out our hard earned money to buy comics (when the price of two comics is the same at a first run movie ticket) they why should we buy their rags?

Ya mis-spelled 'peasant' up there, Sparky.

Let's see...Marvel re-launches it's continuity with the Ultimate Universe. Basement dwelling fanboys decry it as the end of the world. New readers come into the products in droves, not having to deal with 60 years of continuity that's so convoluted that it's reduced to trivia.

It's a business. Their job is to sell funny-books. Whether you realize it or not, the hard-core comics fan does not make up the majority of sales. They make for a consistent core to be certain, but the fact is, they want to sell as many books as possible and the hard-core comics fan audience is getting older and their dollars are often tighter. So they look to the people who will spend money. Those people don't want to know that the Incredible Infinite Drool-Monger last harrased our hero in Bombastic Tales to Astonish #4 in 1961. Hell, most of this audience's parents weren't alive in '61, much less the prospective reader. If they don't care, they don't buy. If it's too tied up in an impenetrable history, they don't buy. If the hardcore fans buy, it's not enough. You do the math.

So continuity suffers. Big deal. Some of the best comics I've ever read had nothing to do with existing continuity. "Kingdom Come" and "The Golden Age", to name but two. If that's dirt, I'll take an extra helping, please.

If you don't like it, vote with your wallet. Or write them a letter. Complaining about it on a game company board, especially complaining about the way a TV series didn't accurately reflect comics continuity is rather pointless.

Originally posted by phydaux

Geez, you know this is one of the things that realy bugs me about comics.

I WANT CONTINUITY!

We wouldn't except this from any other genera. Why do we comics fans accept such utter disregard for continuity?

Just what the hell do Editors-in-Chief DO anyway, if not safeguard continuity?

sigh... End rant.

While I agree with you that comics and even some TV series (Buffy, anyone) seem to think continuity and consistency are something to be laughed at...

The Animated Series being a different continuity than the comics doesn't bother me. In fact, the Animated Series setting seems to be FAR MORE internally consistent and continuous than the comics setting.

Consistency, by the way, would be keeping such things as whether The Hulk needs to worry about anti-tank weapons being fired at him the same from issue to issue. If it has been established that The Hulk can be hurt by a Javelin in issue N, don't have him ignore being hit by one in issue N+17.

Originally posted by Theron

Ya mis-spelled 'peasant' up there, Sparky.

Let's see...Marvel re-launches it's continuity with the Ultimate Universe. Basement dwelling fanboys decry it as the end of the world. New readers come into the products in droves, not having to deal with 60 years of continuity that's so convoluted that it's reduced to trivia.

It's a business. Their job is to sell funny-books. Whether you realize it or not, the hard-core comics fan does not make up the majority of sales. They make for a consistent core to be certain, but the fact is, they want to sell as many books as possible and the hard-core comics fan audience is getting older and their dollars are often tighter. So they look to the people who will spend money. Those people don't want to know that the Incredible Infinite Drool-Monger last harrased our hero in Bombastic Tales to Astonish #4 in 1961. Hell, most of this audience's parents weren't alive in '61, much less the prospective reader. If they don't care, they don't buy. If it's too tied up in an impenetrable history, they don't buy. If the hardcore fans buy, it's not enough. You do the math.

So continuity suffers. Big deal. Some of the best comics I've ever read had nothing to do with existing continuity. "Kingdom Come" and "The Golden Age", to name but two. If that's dirt, I'll take an extra helping, please.

If you don't like it, vote with your wallet. Or write them a letter. Complaining about it on a game company board, especially complaining about the way a TV series didn't accurately reflect comics continuity is rather pointless.

I did vote with my wallet. I haven't bought more than a dozen comics in the last ten years.

Consistency, by the way, would be keeping such things as whether The Hulk needs to worry about anti-tank weapons being fired at him the same from issue to issue. If it has been established that The Hulk can be hurt by a Javelin in issue N, don't have him ignore being hit by one in issue N+17.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for consistency. I'm even for short-term continuity. I just think there's a point where continuity becomes so deep as to become a self-defeating prospect.

I did vote with my wallet. I haven't bought more than a dozen comics in the last ten years.

I can't disagree with that. The only comics I've picked up since about '90 are the Sandman TPBs, the Kingdom Come TPB, and some of the Marvel classic B&W collections.

While I agree with you that comics and even some TV series (Buffy, anyone) seem to think continuity and consistency are something to be laughed at...

The Animated Series being a different continuity than the comics doesn't bother me. In fact, the Animated Series setting seems to be FAR MORE internally consistent and continuous than the comics setting.

Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. The Animated Series DOES have better continuity. TV producers know if they butcher their continuity their audience will say "Well THIS is just getting STUPID..." and bail.

As for long term continuity being daunting for a new reader, I agree. That's why I never got into Dr. Who. By the time my friends started watching, the show had been on for 10 years and had already gone through three Doctors. I thought to myself "There's NO WAY I can start watching and ever HOPE to understand what's going on..."

Comics get around that be having constant flash backs and having the characters reminisce about events. It gets tedious, but often things you think of as having "just happened" really took place 6-8 issues ago and a new reader could easily have missed them.

But my biggest gripe is the consistancy. I agree, consistancy IS more important than over all continuity.