Quick Question on Telescopic

DasBroot

Does telescopic on a targeting sense counter Range Penalties in addition to countering Range Modifiers?  Thematically I would think so. That being said since it costs the exact same as Penalty Skill Levels for All Attacks it's a flat out better choice if it does and is available for purchase in the game being run, and that always gets me thinking.

You can always bundle the abilities.

Eagle Eye: (Total: 5 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) +1 PER with Normal Sight (Real Cost: 1)

plus +2 versus Range Modifier for Normal Sight (Real Cost: 1)

plus +1 to offset negative range OCV modifier with all attacks (3 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

Lucius Alexander

Using a palindromedary at range

The holding the barrel angle was what got me thinking.

Building it as a compound power is definitely a neat idea that I could see working (we only get 35 points for powers and I spent mine pretty quickly on cybernetic eyes with a ton of adders including a probable overdose of 'flare compensation' (flash defense) but I might be able to retool a bit before play starts).

My original cybernetic eyes looked like this:

Cyber-Eyes, all slots Perceivable (-1/4), Unified Power (Cyber-Eyes) (-1/4)

1) Nightvision (Active Points 5), Real Cost 3

2) +10 vs Range Modifier for Sight Group (Active 15), Real Cost 10

3) +4 Perception with Sight Group (Active Points 8), Real Cost 5

4) Sight Group Flash Defense (12 points) (Active Points 12), Real Cost 8

Total Cost 26

The flash defense was based on Flash-Bangs from the campaign specific weapon list he's using - he built them as a 4 meter radius 8d6 Sight and Hearing flash attack. 8 points should be enough for casual immunity to the sight component, but I went overboard and can handle a lucky roll.

Not that I ever come near it but there's a total limitation maximum on any given power in our games of -1.5 (well, that's all you get credit for, point rebate wise  - nothing's actually stopping anyone from putting -6 on their power if they want) .  That's about it for build restrictions.

(My other 9 points went to 3 rPD and 3 rED - dermal plating.  Felt a little squishy with the Modern Soft armor (Def 6) we were provided for free since 2 to 2.5d6 killing attacks will be pretty common)

A few thoughts:

• +10 vs range mods for sight means no penalties out to 8km (if I've done my math right). That might be more than you need.
  • 12 points of Flash Defense is overkill. You're protected against 99.74% (actual percentage) of attacks at that level. Dropping it to 9 would still protect you against 82.5% of attacks, and save you a couple of points. (8 points of FD would protect you against 62.25%, in case you were wondering.)
  • If I was the GM, I'd definitely want to know how these qualified as, "Perceivable". It's not just that people can see he has implants. They have to be able to tell what functions he's using.

A few thoughts:

• +10 vs range mods for sight means no penalties out to 8km (if I've done my math right). That might be more than you need.
  • 12 points of Flash Defense is overkill. You're protected against 99.74% (actual percentage) of attacks at that level. Dropping it to 9 would still protect you against 82.5% of attacks, and save you a couple of points. (8 points of FD would protect you against 62.25%, in case you were wondering.)
  • If I was the GM, I'd definitely want to know how these qualified as, "Perceivable". It's not just that people can see he has implants. They have to be able to tell what functions he's using.

Solid case for 9.  Two points is two points - though I'm not sure where I'd reinvest them as they'd literally be the only two points I have left.

Not sure what the reasoning behind 'perceivable' was, myself (I purchased the basic cybereyes from his special equipment list and then sunk my points into augmenting them - 'stock' they were Nightvision, 6 points of telescopic, +2 perception, and 6 points of flash defense) but I agree.  I'd probably go for Non-persistent - having to reactivate the special vision modes after being stunned or KO'd makes thematic sense. Or maybe Extra-Time - Delayed Phase only to activate.