A Superteam With A Phantom Zone Device...

Marcus Impudite

A hypothetical superteam is in possession of a ray device that can banish targets to a Phantom Zone, one of their members was one of only a few surviving members of the extraterrestrial civilization that created the device and the zone. Long ago, the founding members of the group made an agreement that the "Phantom Zone Gun" would be kept in a safe and not be used except against the "big fish." (i.e., those menaces so horrifyingly powerful and destructive that Earthly authorities stood absolutely no chance in Hell of being able to handle them) Any evil-doers who weren't at that power level would, of course, be handed over to whichever agency was most appropriate and the courts would decide their fate.

Would the team have to keep the device a secret or would the world at large be okay with them having the device as long as they stuck to their above rule and weren't banishing people to the Phantom Zone willy-nilly? What say you, Herodom-Assembled?

I'd say that is going to depend a lot on the tone and setting of your campaign.  If you're doing a cinematic X-Men version, then the whole world hates the PCs for even owning such a device and mobilizes the military to kill them for owning it.  If you're doing a Golden Age comics type of setting, then nobody cares, and even cheers the heroes for using it.

I'd say that is going to depend a lot on the tone and setting of your campaign.  If you're doing a cinematic X-Men version, then the whole world hates the PCs for even owning such a device and mobilizes the military to kill them for owning it.  If you're doing a Golden Age comics type of setting, then nobody cares, and even cheers the heroes for using it.

I must agree