HTH attack with Martial Maneuvers

whitekeys

When using a Martial Maneuver, can you substitute a HTH attack instead of the "STR" for the maneuver? Keeping in mind, the HTH could be something like a weapon, but otherwise it would most likely be a STR based attack.

Usually you add all three together for final damage dice. 

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Technically, both HA (HTH Attack) and typical damage based Martial Maneuvers add to STR damage.  Weapon based HA builds obscure this somewhat due to STR minimums but otherwise everything is additive.

What edition of the HERO rules are you currently using?

HM

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Technically, both HA (HTH Attack) and typical damage based Martial Maneuvers add to STR damage.  Weapon based HA builds obscure this somewhat due to STR minimums but otherwise everything is additive.

What edition of the HERO rules are you currently using?

HM

Sorry, I'm using 6E.

I know how the Martial Maneuvers add DC classes to Unarmed Damage. On 6E2 90, it states "When a character uses a Martial Maneuver with a weapon, substitute the weapon's damage for "STR" listed in the Damage/Effects column, consider any added damage as added Damage Classes, not added d6s." 

So I'm just wondering, if you build a weapon using the Hand-to-Hand Attack power, can you use this Power in conjunction with Martial Maneuvers? Do you have to buy a corresponding Weapon Element to work with the HTH Attack?

For example, my animal familiar is a Baboon. It has a STR score and HTH Damage of 2d6. I buy a Hand-to-Hand Attack power for it's Claw, +1d6. Then I buy a few Monkey Business Martial Maneuvers for its instinctive fighting ability. 

3 Rake: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Strike 2d6  

This Rake attack is currently no added DCs, but the basic 2d6 Strike. So, can I add the HTH Attack and can I add further DCs to the Martial Maneuver? As Tasha indicated. Which I'm guessing would look something like this:

3 Rake: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Strike Weapon +1 DC  

... for a total of 4d6 if the Weapon is the Claw: HTH Attack, +1d6.

Well how would the real world Martial Arts that include weapons like Fencing and Kung Fu (using a Staff) work if you couldn't add the weapon damage together with STR and Maneuvers?

For more details see 6e2 page 99.

TOOLKITTING: ADDING DAMAGE

If a character uses a weapon he hasn’t paid Character Points for (as in most Heroic campaigns), the weapon’s damage is the base attack (the STR Minimum and Real Weapon rules, 6E2 199-200, also affect this). If a character pays points for a weapon, other appropriate Adding Damage rules apply.

HM

Yes, you can add the Martial Arts Maneuvers and STR to the HTH Attack. MA just is another source of extra DC, like Haymaker/Move Maneuver and STR.

However, you will need the proper "Weapon Element" for that Weapon/Attack. Each Attack Power bought with points counts as one Weapon Element, while each Weapon Class (Heroic Games only) counts as one Weapon Element (any onehanded Sword).

The name once again implies nothing about how that ability can be justified. It is entirely possible to build a constrictor snakes grab & coking abilities using Martial Arts (the rules construct).

All Martial Arts get one Weapon Element for free. While it is usually asumed to be "unarmed Attack", nothing says it can not be "Rapiers" or "Katanas".

There are several example Martial Arts in HSMA 6E, all with a list of possible weapon Elements (in case multiple would make sense). Some of those are dedicated armed styles.

Of course Martial Arts does have to be considered for Campaign Caps on Attacks/Combat Values. I like to think of it as a cheaper (because more limited version) to buying plain STR and CV's. I tend to avoid it for Superheroic settings altogether as it's pricing might be simply off.