Stats vs skill roll

steph

Hello everyone,

During our last game of Fantasy hero the characters faced an earthquake and the master demanded a roll of dex or acrobatics to remain stable.

My question is to GM. How you deal in such  situation.

What is the advantage of having the acrobatics skill if a dexterity roll is enough to get by.

One of the players had an acrobatics roll of 12 and another player had a dex roll of 13.

How to simulate that the player with acrobatics is more advantageous if not why get skills when a characteristic roll is enough ?

Hope my english and question is clear and TY for your time.

Steph

Some possibilities:

- you get an Acrobatics roll or a DEX roll at -3 (or some greater penalty) if you do not have Acrobatics

- you get a DEX roll, plus an Acrobatics roll as a complementary skill, on the same line Armory is suggesting

- maybe you get a DEX roll, plus a bonus if you have acrobatics (say +1 or +2), plus the complementary skill roll

- everyone gets a base DEX roll, and those with Acrobatics also get an Acrobatics roll - if either succeeds, you succeed, so even a base acrobatics roll means you get two chances to succeed.

I like the last of Hugh's suggestions. In my mind, the ground shakes, and everybody makes a DEX roll to remain stable. Then, if anyone misses, they get an Acrobatics Roll to get out of their possibly dangerous situation. 

The other option is that a player with Acrobatics can use it not just to remain stable but to acrobatically move themselves to a desired position.

Also, it's not uncommon that a character with Acrobatics will have bought up their Skill Roll.  A character making a straight DEX Roll would need to use Skill Levels to improve their roll, which are generally more expensive, and who buys Skill Levels with DEX Rolls on the off chance they may need them?  Most characters would just buy the Skill anyway.