Falling Damage

Kajaro

So your party brick dives off an atmospheric platform

Does anyone know how much damage a fall from orbit would be? Just a corny question - but what if a brick literally stepped off an atmospheric platform and plummetted straight to earth and smacked into the ground - say Kansas - something nice and flat?

Physics anyone?

Would someone who jumped to earth from an orbital platform actually create enough friction to get burned? Meteors enter earth's atmosphere at cosmic velocities 15,000 km/h or faster, that's why they create fireballs. How much velocity would you build up before the atmosphere slowed you down? I guess the distance you fell through the vacuum before reaching dense atmosphere would have something to do with it.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Edsel

Would someone who jumped to earth from an orbital platform actually create enough friction to get burned? Meteors enter earth's atmosphere at cosmic velocities 15,000 km/h or faster, that's why they create fireballs. How much velocity would you build up before the atmosphere slowed you down? I guess the distance you fell through the vacuum before reaching dense atmosphere would have something to do with it.

From what I remember (/understand) of physics, when not in atmosphere, there is no limit to 'falling' speed, and acceleration would be 10m/s. so, unless he hits atmosphere in under 1 1/2 hours, he reaches 15,000km/h or faster, and hits re-entry damage.

(Note: All calculations based on mental arithmetic; subject to errors)

So yes, it's going to hurt like hell.

I have no idea how to calculate the damage though.

30d6 for terminal velocity is wrong, dont care if its in the rules.

Terminal velocity for a falling human being is 200km/h thats only 56 m/s. thats 0.16 Mach

To fall to earth from a satalite by stepping off is impossible, your still in orbit. You do not "fall". In fact it takes a bit of effort to hit the earth from orbit.

If the earth was stationary and you fell straight to it from far of in space your velocity would be 11Km/ second, exactly the same as escape velocity for a space ship, its just reversed. Thats Mach 34.

The reason for friction is that a LEO, low earth ortbit, satalite is traveling at 36000km/hour around the earth which rotates at 1500km/ hour, its that diference of 34500km/hour ( Mach 30)that causes the friction damage, not the falling straight down through the atmosphere ( think of it as sideways motion )

A straight fall from 100km ignoring atmosphere would give a speed of 1400m/s when you hit earth thats mach 4.3

I would work out the damage but as the hero system has a linear velocity damage system, compared to strengths logarithmic system, the damage becomes silly (case in point 30" kb (60m) is 30d6 damage, your only traveling at around 75km/h ) under 0.1 Mach

Vorsch