Master of Orion HERO

ShadowRaptor

Re: Master of Orion HERO

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

Has anybody ever considered using the new Master of Orion game as a basis for a setting using Star HERO?

Actually, *yes*, but I thought about MoO2, not 3. Champs is the perfect system to do a lot of the fun things available in MoO. The only real problem being relating it to a PC-level scale. My intended solution to this was to make the PCs just-graduated Marines and then transfer them into a newly formed black ops type group that could go on espionage-esque missions.

*first thought when I read this: What are you, some damn clone? I've used a similar handle (Raptor) in the past.*

I have also long been kicking around a MOO2 based Star Hero game. I always thought a TOS style exploration style game set on a cruiser with Research labs would be fun. The players would be various members of the Crew. A cruiser in Moo2 is small enough that any crew member is important (like a PC) but there are enough NPCs that the players can go on missions and still leave enough guys behind to run the ship. You go on out to investigate new worlds, make first contact, or are called in to study the really weird stuff found by other scouts.

If you make sure your sides Navy is small enough, your ship would also get called in on the combat missions.

I think Moo2 works better than Moo3 because Moo2 placed alot more emphasis on individual ships. A lone battleship could make all the difference (especially midgame when the Antarans are still really scary).

Moo3 is all about clashing armadas. Individual ships, let alone charcters tend to get lost.

BTW:

Don't let anybody tell you that Moo3 isn't a good game. It is very different from Moo2, you have to approach it very differently, but it is very good after you spend about 100-150 turns figuring it out. If anything it is more like Moo1 (remember that?)