Group Teleport

sentry0

I created a Speedster that has a group Teleport but am wondering if I have created it correctly.  The special effect is that the speedster moves up to 8 people out of an area in the blink of an eye and then returns to their starting position.  

Evacuate!:  Teleportation 20m, x8 Increased Mass, Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Selective (+1/4) (61 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must Cross Intervening Space; -1/2), Usable By Other (-1/2), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor

The teleport would move the recipients out of the "close" range that Usable By Other requires, which is fine.

Thoughts, comments, concerns...have I missed something or am I overthinking this?

I wouldn't worry too much about the limits  besides intervening space since logically the speedster should be able to reach the destination at the same time as well.  

I am flabbergasted that I didn't already work this out as a 60ap VPP slot for my rookie Flash.  It's a mass dive for cover!  I just don't have a good  laptop or working right hand to check the build options in HD right now.

:)

3 minutes ago, Watchman Mk. IV said:

So I'm guessing that opponents would go too if they got within range in time.  (Just hope they're not half-in and half-out; then you're talking about a Stargate transporter. :)

The AoE is selective so the Speedster can pick who gets it.  You could probably make a case that hostile characters can't be teleported for game balance reasons but I don't know if I would worry about it too much :)

3 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

If the intent is only a group dive for cover and is not intended to be used as an attack then I don't think are is even needed. Just usable nearby should be enough.

Interesting, that would actually cheapen it up

Evacuate!:  Teleportation 35m, x32 Increased Mass (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Must Cross Intervening Space; -1/2), Usable By Other (-1/2), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor

It would absolutely burn through endurance but could totally save civilian lives.

Here is the basic version I built for my rookie Flash:

0 3) Faster than a speeding bullet! v1: Teleportation 23m, No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) Real Cost: 40 
[Notes: This represents a form of "Running" that is faster than the normal eye can see. Character's with Rapid sight x100 or better should be able to see his path.] - END=6

Better version...

Evacuate!:  Teleportation 35m, Usable Simultaneously (up to 32 people at once; +3/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (61 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must Cross Intervening Space; -1/4)

Alright...reading the UOO rules a bit more carefully I think this version is probably what I'll be going with:

Evacuate!:  Teleportation 24m, Usable Simultaneously (up to 32 people at once; +1 1/2), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Recipient must remain close to Grantor, Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must Cross Intervening Space; -1/4)

Providing I'm interrpreting the rules correctly this version should allow the following:

• Recipients must be willing
  • A single attack roll is made for all recipients
  • All recipients must be within 10m of the grantor
  • The grantor can also (optionally) give the power to themselves and teleport themselves

4 hours ago, sentry0 said:

Alright...reading the UOO rules a bit more carefully I think this version is probably what I'll be going with:

Evacuate!:  Teleportation 24m, Usable Simultaneously (up to 32 people at once; +1 1/2), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Recipient must remain close to Grantor, Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must Cross Intervening Space; -1/4)

Providing I'm interrpreting the rules correctly this version should allow the following:

• Recipients must be willing
  • A single attack roll is made for all recipients
  • All recipients must be within 10m of the grantor
  • The grantor can also (optionally) give the power to themselves and teleport themselves

Nice little rescue power for getting people out of the burning building and into Archie. :D

So was this inspired by the quicksilver scene at the beginning of the last x-men movie? That scene IMHO is more of an enter the speedzone (5e Ultimate speedster / 6e APG) An almost time stop EDM vs non speedsters.  If so why NOT include the safe blind and no velocity advantages? I'm applying a sfx of sorts by asking what happens when this power is used near a character with abilities like Invisible Woman and her invisible barriers? Can he rescue people from a moving vehicle?

Just curious.

3 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

So was this inspired by the quicksilver scene at the beginning of the last x-men movie? That scene IMHO is more of an enter the speedzone (5e Ultimate speedster / 6e APG) An almost time stop EDM vs non speedsters.  If so why NOT include the safe blind and no velocity advantages? I'm applying a sfx of sorts by asking what happens when this power is used near a character with abilities like Invisible Woman and her invisible barriers? Can he rescue people from a moving vehicle?

Just curious.

It was inspired by 3 things:

• The Quicksilver scene, this power is a scaled down version of what Quicksilver did in the movie
  • My own experience with Speedsters seemingly always getting put on crowd control in games
  • I wanted to showcase something "fancy" for Champions at a mini-con I'm planning to run a table at

I know that there will be hostages running around in the scenario I'm planning and I know that Speedsters are almost always on crowd control because they have high dex and speed.  This ability allows the Speedster character to get people to safety quickly and get back to the action...and is a pretty flashy way to do it too ;)  It also has general utility for diving for cover which is a nice little bonus but it was really designed with crowd control in mind.

I think you're right too, there's no reason not to give position shift and velocity given the special effect.

With enough speed, a speedster can zip in and grab people out of a danger zone before the bad guys can even react.  If you have 9 speed and they have 3, that's 3 hostages per action they take.  A distraction and suddenly the hostage is not there any more (see The Flash in the Justice League movie).