Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Michael Hopcroft

13 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I wonder what Miles would have done had he ended up in the MCU, where my understanding is that their Peter is early in his career and tied to Tony Stark much more closely than the mainstream comics version would even tolerate. Miles has issues with authority -- not "tear down the system and rebuild it in my image" issues, but more a mutual lack of trust that restricts both sides. I doubt he'd be receptive to taking orders from anyone, even Tony Stark. And with the MCU's "native" Spider-Man around and close to his age, the question is whether he would still need a mentor (even a mentor as irresponsible as Peter B. Parker) or whether he has enough to eventually have to fight a technologically-superior Spider-Man to get home.

There's a Champions scenario in there somewhere.

Defender  might fill the iron man but who would fill Miles in a Champions scenario ?

20 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I wonder what Miles would have done had he ended up in the MCU, where my understanding is that their Peter is early in his career and tied to Tony Stark much more closely than the mainstream comics version would even tolerate. Miles has issues with authority -- not "tear down the system and rebuild it in my image" issues, but more a mutual lack of trust that restricts both sides. I doubt he'd be receptive to taking orders from anyone, even Tony Stark. And with the MCU's "native" Spider-Man around and close to his age, the question is whether he would still need a mentor (even a mentor as irresponsible as Peter B. Parker) or whether he has enough to eventually have to fight a technologically-superior Spider-Man to get home.

There's a Champions scenario in there somewhere.

The MCU is very close to the Ultimate universe where Miles was created so it would probably closely parallel.

Peter in the Ultimate Universe was associated loosely with SHIELD and he idolized Fury. Fury wants nothing to do with him at first but comes to trust Peter during the Clone Saga.  He is introduced to Stark and the Avengers after the Clone Saga. Ultimate Captain America does not think much of kid superheroes and is pretty hostile to Peter. Peter takes a bullet for Cap which goes unnoticed and Peter is separated from the action. He goes home to change before going to a hospital and is ambushed outside the house by the Sinister Six. Peter defeats the villains but bleeds out from his wounds and "dies."

A large public funeral is held, highlighted by Aunt May slapping Cap for being unfeeling.

Enter the Miles version of Spiderman.  Miles is bitten by a spider  that hitched a ride from a box that his uncle has lying around the apartment. He acquired it in his "job" which you'll understand if you've seen the movie. He gains his powers and is tracked down by Fury and SHIELD after his initial appearances. Fury decides to make Miles a SHIELD trainee and gives him his costume , web shooters and arranges a teacher for Miles: the female clone of Peter that was the only clone that survived the Clone Saga. He later meets May, Gwen and Mary Jane . The girls are about two years older than him but are there to give him sympathy and advice. Later Peter returns from "death" but moves away with MJ under a SHIELD witness protection program.(my memory is fuzzy on this part, I had stopped collecting and only read these in passing at the bookstore.)

• 2 weeks later...

Spider-Man has won the Best Animated Feature Golden Globe. Whether that is a precursor to anything is anyone's guess. And Mahershala Ali (Uncle Aaron) won an award there for his performance in the segregation dramedy Green Book (the title is referring to the guidebook that was used to point African-American travelers in the segregated United States to where they could get a meal and a hotel room in whatever city they were going to visit).

I was looking for box office reports, which I couldn't find, but I do know that Japanese fans won't be able to legally see the movie until it opens there is early March.