Arrow Will End with a Shortened 8th Season.

Cassandra

I think they could have mined the character for a couple of more seasons by dumping a lot of the supporting cast (which would incidentally cut production costs), having him working outside of the Star City setting, and having to develop more trick arrows to help deal with a wider variety of opponents and the lack of a support team.

But I can understand why they don't want to go in that direction.

The writers could have ended several of the last few seasons after the first or second episode if someone on Team Arrow would have just killed the main bad guy when it first became clear that he was a huge continuing threat rather than choosing to let him get away while knowing the bad guy was going to continue to rack up a huge body count. Since the people on Team Arrow regularly kill massive numbers of bad guys, it's never made sense to me when they've chosen to not kill the main bad guy after mowing down dozens of people while attempting to get close to him.