Anyone know where to find local game groups?

JCR

Greetings! So far facebook, meetups, and, sadly, this forum don't seem do well when trying to find other hero game groups (at least in my experience thus far). Does anyone know of any other places where one can search/find hero game groups/players? Our current 3 member group is in the Orlando, FL area and we would like to expand/add more members or join any other existing hero game groups within our driving reach. Thank you!

My FLGS (Game Theory, Raleigh NC) maintains both multiple Facebook Groups and a Meetup Group.

I found a pool of 8 primarily through the FB groups, which became 4 at the table, which became 2, then grew to 4 again through contacts of one of the players.

Started the Champions 6E campaign 2.5 months ago, running it twice a month.

For reference, Game Theory maintains an LFG group separate from general discussion of store events. They also copy/pasted game requests from the in-store bulletin board to the FB LFG group.

Hope that helps!

Greetings! Thanks for the replies.

On 6/2/2019 at 12:07 AM, Greywind said:

FLGS that might have a players wanted board hanging up.

What does "FLGS" stand for?

On 6/2/2019 at 12:38 AM, A.T.R.A. Mark II said:

My FLGS (Game Theory, Raleigh NC) maintains both multiple Facebook Groups and a Meetup Group.

I found a pool of 8 primarily through the FB groups, which became 4 at the table, which became 2, then grew to 4 again through contacts of one of the players.

Started the Champions 6E campaign 2.5 months ago, running it twice a month.

For reference, Game Theory maintains an LFG group separate from general discussion of store events. They also copy/pasted game requests from the in-store bulletin board to the FB LFG group.

Hope that helps!

Any chance you can please share some of these links, I would really appreciate it?!

13 minutes ago, Jayzon said:

Greetings! Thanks for the replies.

What does "FLGS" stand for?

Any chance you can please share some of these links, I would really appreciate it?!

FLGS - Favorite Local Game Store.

Repeat - Game Theory is in Raleigh, NC not Orlando, FL.

That said, just logon Facebook and search on "game theory Raleigh NC" and you should reach the store page.

If you go to Facebook Groups first, then you can search within just the groups for Game Theory.

Likewise do the above searches for your own local game store in Orlando, FL and/or talk with store staff - they might also have established similar groups.

Also go to www.meetup.com and sign up for a free account, and search on your game store's name.

Hope that helps!

:( Done the FB, FLGS, and meetups and have found zilch thus far. Feels to me like each year there are less and less tabletop rpg gamers around unless its D&D (can't stand 5e). Thank you for the info though, its much appreciated.

7 hours ago, Jayzon said:

:( Done the FB, FLGS, and meetups and have found zilch thus far. Feels to me like each year there are less and less tabletop rpg gamers around unless its D&D (can't stand 5e). Thank you for the info though, its much appreciated.

You might try running some HERO one-shots at the game store, bringing premade (Homebrew) versions of heroes from big comic companies.

One of the reasons I began running a Champions game a few months ago was to create more HERO players.

Since you don't have the pool I had, the next step is to consider both running occasional (advertised) store games as well as reaching out to gamers you know we'll, who have not played HERO before.

I was blessed that after two of my four left (one flake, one couldn't keep up the one hour commute each way) one of the remaining knew two friends/acquaintances to invite, both of which happened to work out.

At this stage in HERO's life cycle, it's time to face reality and run more HERO games to create more HERO players.

I invested 1-2 hours taking prose descriptions from each player and using Hero Designer to get each of them right, even the two players who dropped out.

I also invested an average of 1-2 hours each in pre-campaign video interviews to see if each player would be a good fit. This didn't stop some from leaving, but it made a good impression on those who are staying. If you can have coffee or a meal with your new recruits, that'd be even better.

If your first meeting is outside of the game store, make it 1 newbie, you the GM, and at least one player, and pick a good (non-chain) coffee shop with food/snacks.

None of the above is easy, but if you invest in people, the good people have a better chance of staying around.

If enough of you and your players are capable GMs, consider a HERO mini-convention at your game store, if there are enough tables. Your players, even if not GMing, can volunteer as HERo buddies (sidekicks?) To take the "teaching HERO mid-session" duties away from the GM.

I was blessed with one hero vet who naturally took that role and helped his acquaintances ease into the mechanics. Since I shielded them from actual character creation, the newbies were able to get into the story easily.

I gave the newbies one rule. - if they enjoy the game enough to want to make an alt (2nd character) they learn character creation (with handholding) then, and buy the 6E PDFs for $30 from this very website. (Or the POD versions if that floats their boat, but ctrl-f in Acrobat is such a godsend!!!)

I wish the shelves were full of at least Champions complete, but thankfully there are unlimited PDF sales to be made!

Best of luck Jayson, I'm sorry to hear people didn't respond to internet entreaties, now it's time to rope them in in person!!!

ALSO - I know Orlando gets a lot of big conventions (OASIS and others I think?) - run HERO there and ask if anyone is a local.

Many ways to find HERO players, including creating them!!! I never knew about Champions until college when a new friend shoved the 4e blue book in my hands and asked me to make a character. We didn't even have a game yet, I was the first player, but we found more just by asking!

Those are some great ideas and I thank you a million for the suggestions and I will pass them along to our main GM and other player and see if we can do at least one of them. For various reasons (work, family, etc.) some may prove too much for any of the three current members of the group, but I won't just disregard them and will actually try to see if we can manage to do one or two at the very least. Thanks again, have a great one!

I think one of the key items to do is proper advertising.  Sometimes it doesn't matter what the system is, as many new players have not heard of Hero and older players likely remember (fondly) 4th edition.  A couple of point so make in Meetup.com groups (or FB, BBS, etc) are:

1) Avengers Assemble!  Emphasize the campaign as wanting to form an Avengers style team.  This allows you leverage the success of the MCU.

2) Ask on the boards who prefers games that do not use d20s!  Quite a few gamers are simply anti-d20, and many may have not heard of Champions.  In this case, ask who would be interested is trying out a game that does not include this iconic die.  You'd be surprised how many people would like to see a system that uses normal d6s.  Oh, and tell them it isn't the "weird" dice of FFG (and others) ;)

3) Find a schedule that works for the older and busy crowd.  One problem with gaming is that most groups seem to meet once a week.  For many former players with family, job, and other commitments, this can be a problem.  Ask on the boards, meet-up.com, etc who might be interested in a monthly game or once every three week.  You can also ask who might be interested in an every other week game.  You can use a poll to get a "general consensus" of those on the boards (system agnostic).  Then, you can target those with less play time availability.  You may be able to get a couple of groups started in this way, and then some may even want to join a bi-weekly game once they get started.

I think in the end, you are looking for about 5-6 players that can consistently play at the same time over a year or two.  This will form your core group, and then as more people come and go, you'll introduce more players to the system.

Lastly, ask advice from a Master, directly.  Hero Member Soleil Noir is a MASTER at forming Hero gaming groups in the Portland, Oregon metro area (including the one I'm in that has been going for about 3 years now).  He has also started up a D&D group.  He starts them, then has to take a leave of absence, but his groups are solid and live on.  Then he starts a new one.  Eventually, there are several games with players who can co-mingle as needed/desired. :)  Send him a PM and ask some questions; he is a great guy.

Good luck!

- Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/23/2019 at 1:37 PM, Psillias said:

Have you tried Sci-Fi City near 50 and 436?  They've been around forever and have a locator board up. 

I forgot it even existed because I went a bit over a year there w/ and friend and the people there were not helpful at all. I remember even asking for some info and all I got was a very dismissive "just check our facebook" reply. I will have to pass by again and check it out, maybe I will have better luck this time. Thanks for suggestion.

On 9/28/2019 at 1:13 PM, Jayzon said:

I forgot it even existed because I went a bit over a year there w/ and friend and the people there were not helpful at all. I remember even asking for some info and all I got was a very dismissive "just check our facebook" reply. I will have to pass by again and check it out, maybe I will have better luck this time. Thanks for suggestion.

Jayzon,

I just took a look at sci-fi city's FB page.

I scrolled down to "groups by this page" and I see "sci fi city games group" with 165 members.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...