Anyone else playing Neverwinter on CBox?

Diamond Spear

I had a lot of fun for about a year. They changed it about two months ago and it changed the gameplay enough to put me off (combined with a focus on Red Dead Online) and I have not been on much.

Tips?  Don't spend money on anything but VIP, and then only if you can log in every day to collect the per Diem benefits.

Focus on the campaigns and ways to earn astral diamonds, you can buy lots of stuff using astral diamonds.  The early levels are MUCH easier if you buy a companion early on.

I had most fun when playing in a party, so much better than solo play.

Doc

5 hours ago, Greywind said:

VIP is more the quality of life benefits than a single lockbox key.

Make friends. Have fun.

Absolutely.  VIP provides quality of life but if you aren't collecting the per diems you are not enjoying the quality of life either. 🙂

After I had played six or seven months I felt obliged to spend some cash, at least as much as I might have splashed out on a game I was spending 10 or 12 hours a week playing (much more than my wife thought reasonable for a man of my age!)

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Like any Cryptic MMO, Neverwinter is fun until the end game. At that point it becomes a grind to get the best gear so you can take on the toughest challenges so you can get the best gear to take on the toughest.....you get the idea. I have not played in over a year, so I cannot help you with build advice. Look up a good solo PvE build for your character class and try to follow the skill progression. It will help as you get further along.

One thing that I hated was the Random Dungeon thing that stuck end game characters alongside starting characters. The theory was that the end game players could help the newbs with learning the ropes. The practical upshot was more powerful characters speeding through the dungeon, often bypassing the monsters whenever possible, and leaving the newbs to struggle through it. A couple of times, I've been voted out of a map because the more experienced players got impatient or thought it would be cute. And, at least when I played, Random Dungeons were one of the primary ways to get AD.

On the other hand, the dragon bosses were really fun to tackle with a group.

19 hours ago, Greywind said:

Much of that was dealt with in Mod 16. No more speeding through a dungeon. Everyone is the same base speed regardless of level.

Randoms are still the primary was to get your rAD. Top end random (Trials) earn the most, followed by Epic Dungeons, skirmishes, and finally leveling dungeons.

Has the power balance shifted much? When I was playing, my SW was queen of the battlefield. My Pali was virtually indestructible. Any major shakeups?

10 hours ago, Nolgroth said:

Has the power balance shifted much? When I was playing, my SW was queen of the battlefield. My Pali was virtually indestructible. Any major shakeups?

My Great Weapons Fighter now has to use healing potions in a fight rather than relying on his abilities to get him through the combat.  I find it a pain to play - I did GWF *because* I did not want the hassle of thinking about healing! 🙂

3 hours ago, Greywind said:

Warlocks heal or DPS now. I hear that the healer is the better path. My warlock doesn't get out much.

I got the same impression as I looked around yesterday. I also got the impression that the player base isn't as large as it once was. Nobody really said much about that, other than a comment about low pop servers, but the community just doesn't seem as active as it was a couple of years back. Am I just reading into things?

2 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

My Great Weapons Fighter now has to use healing potions in a fight rather than relying on his abilities to get him through the combat.  I find it a pain to play - I did GWF *because* I did not want the hassle of thinking about healing! 🙂

That is, indeed, a major shakeup. I remember that one of the complaints I used to hear, is that healers were not necessary at end game. Maybe they decided to artificially promote the healer role by limiting other classes' ability to do so.

7 minutes ago, Nolgroth said:

That is, indeed, a major shakeup. I remember that one of the complaints I used to hear, is that healers were not necessary at end game. Maybe they decided to artificially promote the healer role by limiting other classes' ability to do so.

Which is fine if you tend to play in a group.  I played most often on my own, or with one friend.  Ruined!  My whole life!!!  These people should be hung drawn and quartered....with a rusty spoon.....

😄

Doc

You and me both, but I think that makes us the outliers. I was part of a guild once and all they wanted to do was go on Hunts in the Jungles of Chult. Some members, especially Tamia the Guild Leader, would go out of their way to help out newer members get through some of the tougher dungeons and whatnot, but it seemed like the two guild events were Hunts and defend the guild hq from monster attacks. It got painfully boring after awhile. Not saying that they were bad people for that, but I was just not excited to do those things.