Newbie Options issue

Dinofreak2000

now as a couple of ya know, i have only recently started my trek into Hero. And the rules are still very new.

now what i mean for options issues i am talkin about how can i convert the DnD 3e flavor to the Hero system? there was so many options (from races to feats). I still have a fav character of mine which is set in developing some celestial heritage (aka as he grows in experience he developes the hal-celestial template). How could one simulate this with Hero?

i figure you just create lesser versions of the envisioned final power and increase it with experience as you go. No fuss no mus, or is it? Since i am still trying to figure out everything, can one do this sort of "power" upgrade easily or does it take rewriting the entire power everytime you want to make it better?

In my head my request sounded alot better (and more coherent at that). So if you understand me, and can give me some help/advice it would be most appriciated.

Re: Newbie Options issue

Originally posted by Dinofreak2000

now as a couple of ya know, i have only recently started my trek into Hero. And the rules are still very new.

So do you have Fantasy HERO or are you trying to work straight from HERO 5th?

now what i mean for options issues i am talkin about how can i convert the DnD 3e flavor to the Hero system? there was so many options (from races to feats).

The Fantasy Hero book is full of Talents which are very similar to feats and the provided racial packages(templates) should give you a good idea of how to convert different races

I still have a fav character of mine which is set in developing some celestial heritage (aka as he grows in experience he developes the hal-celestial template). How could one simulate this with Hero?

With ease?

i figure you just create lesser versions of the envisioned final power and increase it with experience as you go. No fuss no mus, or is it? Since i am still trying to figure out everything, can one do this sort of "power" upgrade easily or does it take rewriting the entire power everytime you want to make it better?

This is obviously the meat and potatoes of your question and I have to admit I'm not sure I understand what you're asking but I'll take a swing at it.

If your asking:

Can I change the limitations, advantages, and active points of a power with experience?

The answer is:

Yes with GM approval

If your asking:

Can I build a power at its full capacity and divide its effectiveness to calculate a staggered point cost?

The answer is (again):

Yes with GM approval

Like most RPGs you can do anything the GM thinks is okay the active points, DCs, real points, etc are there to give the GM a way to compare different power constructs but ultimately they have to decide what they'll accept and hopefully the players in turn will be understanding if the GM decides a change needs made later (after realizing a potential problem).

my advice?

Forget direct conversion. Build to the concept of the character... 1/2 celestial...has wings? Easy to do, buy flight with the special effect: wings. Good warrior? Buy a few levels in combat. Good wizards? Buy yerself a few spells.

Feats in d20 are mechanics to try and give your character some uniqueness...or at least specialness. Make Fighter A look different than Fighter B.

In my experience, EVERY Fantasy Hero fighter is different, because everyone spends their points from slightly different to radically different.

Talk to your GM... understand that building a 1/2 angelic character at the usual starting level of FH (150 pts total) is going to require a lot of sacrifice compared to a d20 10th level (or even 6th lvl) character. If the game is more grandiose and is starting at 250 pts...you can build that kind of character easily. Understand what kind of game he/she is running... is it low fantasy where a celestial is really going to stand out and might not really fit? Or is it anime level of Final Fantasy type stuff with huge spells, every character is a demi-god?

Understnd that the concept of combat is different in FH... you cannot wade thru 50 Orcs in FH.. you can wade thru maybe 5. Cause Orcs can be a 100 pts or even 150, they can easily be your equal or even superior. There is no artificial constraints on them or you.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

You may get some use out of the detailed notes that fellow board member Killer Shrike has created for converting D&D 3E characters to HERO System:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Conversion3e/conversion3e.shtml

His whole "High Fantasy HERO" website is pretty cool, and well worth a look. :)

Thanx!

Dinofreak2000,

This is very similar to what is happening in my Fantasy Hero campaign that is just in the opening stages (Just finished putting all the PC's characters into HD last Saturday, in fact.) It's based on a d20 Adventure I had created set in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting from DnD. Alot of my players are from the "Old School" DnD camp and I've managed to convince them to switch over. So, as you might expect, a lot of the things they wanted their characters to have were Feats and Skills from DnD.

Between Fantasy Hero and the Grimoire, I found every single Feat, Spell, or Skill they were looking for, translated into Hero terms, without even having to work hard at it at all.

So, if you really want to try to convert the DnD format to the FH world, all you'll need are these two books (for character creation, that is - I have a stack of about 7 books on my GM table during game sessions! *Groan*)

I think one of the things you are missing Dino is a setting. I agree that the Grimoire and FH books go a long way to providing the tools you need, but there are a lot of options and these options were meant to be filtered for a specific setting.

Two settings are coming out in the near future:

1. Turakian Age. I think it is on the calendar for Jan/Feb. This will be a classic "D&D-esque" fantasy setting.

2. Narosia: Sea of Tears. That should be more in the April/May timeframe. Less tolkein and more unique it too is a "D&D-esque" fantasy setting.

Both of these settings might assist in converting your players as they will have a story and background from which to draw.

Originally posted by mudpyr8

2. Narosia: Sea of Tears. That should be more in the April/May timeframe. Less tolkein and more unique it too is a "D&D-esque" fantasy setting.

Is this written for HERO System? It's not on the DoJ publishing schedule; have they mentioned adding a book somewhere else, or is another group putting this out? :confused:

Another group is putting it out. It is an Officially Licensed Hero setting.

http://www.narosia.com but all we have is a splash page up now. We're finalizing the content for open playtest hopefully starting in January, when the website will be up. In-house playtest has been going on at Legendsmiths, Inc. for the past year or so, and we've been demoing at cons (Origins, GenCon, and Ucon) with much success.

We're confident the setting will appeal to many gamers, Hero and non-Hero alike.