Can I dodge while waiting for my OIAID to kick in?

Panpiper

Not being able to stay in hero ID because you will freak people out when your demon walks into the room is already a disad. Being out of hero id when the villain walks into the room and not being able to transform instantly, is a pretty significant limitation. Having said villain proceed to throw you through a wall, while still out of hero ID complicates it. To then spend a full phase waiting to turn into your hero ID, while still being vulnerable to a second attack, compounds even more.

I thought the question as to whether or not one could dodge in such a situation wasn't too terribly unreasonable. The above situation occurred after I asked my question. I did not ask my GM if I could dodge.

Unclevlad i believe you misunderstood my texts. I did at one point said about Dodging and still being able to OIAID even then I said you are still vulnerable to attack while Dodging. However after reading rules, there is nothing stopping a character from Stopping his OIAID to abort. He’ll just have to restart the process again. Btw we are talking a -1/4 limitation a limitation that’s supposed to hardly affect or infrequently affects the character. 

27 minutes ago, Panpiper said:

Not being able to stay in hero ID because you will freak people out when your demon walks into the room is already a disad. Being out of hero id when the villain walks into the room and not being able to transform instantly, is a pretty significant limitation. Having said villain proceed to throw you through a wall, while still out of hero ID complicates it. To then spend a full phase waiting to turn into your hero ID, while still being vulnerable to a second attack, compounds even more.

I thought the question as to whether or not one could dodge in such a situation wasn't too terribly unreasonable. The above situation occurred after I asked my question. I did not ask my GM if I could dodge.

You're getting a discount on every single power in exchange for a Limitation that only comes up sometimes.  Consequently, that's going to be a pretty stiff Limitation when it does come up, and that's just the price you pay. 

2 hours ago, Panpiper said:

The AID freaking people out is a Complication.  So, you're asking for points from the complication, AND points from a limitation that amounts to the same thing?

Being out of AID is a problem when the demon busts in.  (Anyone else read Stewart's ONSET series and think of the demon attack in...IIRC...book 3, against the ONSET HQ?)  BUT, the point we're making is, how often does this happen?  

And why are you waiting?  Unless you got totally surprised, start your shift as he grabs you and throws you against the wall.  The limitation gives him *1* action, you don't have to give him the second.  

On 7/12/2020 at 8:48 PM, unclevlad said:

The AID freaking people out is a Complication.  So, you're asking for points from the complication, AND points from a limitation that amounts to the same thing?

I am not asking for anything. My post was asking if a dodge was legal. That was already established that it is not, unless it aborts the transform. That should have been obvious to me but somehow it was not. The situation I described happened AFTER the question was asked and answered, and in the situation I did NOT request to dodge.

My character IS the demon. The villain was a vampire that looked completely human, and the first indication we had that it was not was when it tossed my character, out of hero ID, through a wall. One that happened, I started the transform, during which I did not dodge but waited, knowing I might be attacked again. 

How often will a fight happen with my character not in hero ID? Pretty much any time our party is not the one initiating the fight, that's how often. 

You can't dodge if it's a full phase action.  BUT, the shift to the AID can be defined with other limitations.

But thinking about it...if this is just too much of a mess, don't take OIAID, then.  Take a -0 "activates physical limitation" (or a Perceivable for which you're not taking a limitation) and, say, Delayed Phase.  You're not getting any extra points this way over and above OIAID, and you've still got a half phase action if you need it.