King Arthur, Queen Guinevere, and Sir Lancelot

fdw3773

Hi, everyone! I just posted Hero Designer files and PDF writeups for King Arthur Pendragon, Queen Guinevere, and Sir Lancelot of the Lake in the downloads section from British legends. If there's sufficient interest, I may come up with writeups for some of the Knights of the Round Table and assorted villain knights they faced such as Mordred, Turquine, etc.

https://www.herogames.com/files/file/526-king-arthur-queen-guinevere-and-sir-lancelot/

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like them! Would be cool to see Sir Tristram, and sheets for Merlin and Morgan le Fay. However, I have to ask, what Arthurian romances are you using as a basis? Or is this based on film and television representations? Because, for example, Percival in Perlesvaus is basically a horrifying sociopath, as opposed to Percival in Perceval, the Story of the Grail.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:08 PM, AlHazred said:

I like them! Would be cool to see Sir Tristram, and sheets for Merlin and Morgan le Fay. However, I have to ask, what Arthurian romances are you using as a basis? Or is this based on film and television representations? Because, for example, Percival in Perlesvaus is basically a horrifying sociopath, as opposed to Percival in Perceval, the Story of the Grail.

I read a lot of Arthurian legends over the years and watched many related films (even the cringey Sword of the Valiant featuring Sean Connery and Miles O'Keefe 🫣), so I tried to blend Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur, John Steinbeck's King Arthur and His Knights, John Boorman's Excalibur, and similar stories/films where the knights were generally depicted in a positive, heroic light. 

My write-ups are simply one fan's perspective on a topic I used to read a lot about when I was younger. 🙂

16 hours ago, fdw3773 said: where the knights were generally depicted in a positive, heroic light. 

My write-ups are simply one fan's perspective on a topic I used to read a lot about when I was younger. 🙂

Thanks, I enjoyed looking at them and they seem pretty much what the general public would envision. The popular take on the characters. 

On 7/1/2023 at 12:08 PM, AlHazred said:

I like them! Would be cool to see Sir Tristram, and sheets for Merlin and Morgan le Fay.

Based on what I read, Merlin and Morgan le Fay would be surprisingly tricky to adapt. The stories I read could be considered low or medieval fantasy due to the limited amount of magic depicted over high fantasy stories like Dragonlance. Merlin didn't cast spells to the same extent as other fantasy magic users do (e.g. his ability often involved seeing into the future or disguise others with glamour magic versus launching magic missiles), and when he did, he potentially slept for months to recover. Morgan le Fay was similar. I remember reading Chaosium's Pendragon 4th Edition that had a really good description of how magic worked in Arthurian romance that drew upon Celtic mythology. 🙂

Edited by fdw3773

• 6 months later...